Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The TS4 Tropical Pack - Is it enough to tempt you away from TS3?

Comments

• Options
    AlexaKryAlexaKry Posts: 2,706 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601 : hm, from my point of view I don´t think The Sims games are/were ahead of the curve for social situations. I think they run after them. :/
  • Options
    ApparentlyAwesomeApparentlyAwesome Posts: 1,523 Member

Good Luck with the decorating and keeping the dogs off the wet paint. It's even more fun trying to stop cats :)

It is a very long time since I played TS2. I did get the UC but it kept crashing even on this quite powerful laptop and my disks are now useless.
    So I don't really remember much about the points system. I think I was more inclined to use the zodiac signs. That is one disappointing thing about TS3, that the zodiac sign does not seem to influence your sim as it would have done in TS3. However there are enough traits to create some very interesting characters. I love the animations and thought bubbles you get with the miser trait.

I can't really see EA changing the personality system for TS4. I think they may have tweaked it but I haven't heard anyone say that has improved matters much. Let's just hope EA have a total rethink should there ever be another iteration of the Sims on PC. It would be lovely to have functioning zodiac signs going forward and behaviour and feelings appropriate to the traits assigned to each individual sim.

Well one dog is still his natural color but the other who is supposed to have black ears and a black tail now has a partially white ear and tail. :lol: I don't even want to imagine trying to paint with cats around! :scream: It's bad enough with a dog who acts like a toddler and a cat sometimes.

I know some people think Sims 3 sims lack personality but to me they have the best personalities so far. They're exactly who you make them, though some traits could be better. In TS3 they're more like individuals instead of clones when it comes to personalties.

I honestly can't see them changing it either and I think they tweaked it once but there wasn't any major change. I hope if there's a Sims 5, just like I hoped when they announced Sims 4, that they take a long and hard look at all the previous games and learn from them and also come to us players and maybe have an in-depth survey and conversations here on the forums for their video game about what we'd like to see, what could be improved, what we like and didn't like and why instead of relying on telemetry to tell them what players play with and what they don't.
    KqGXVAC.jpg
  • Options
    stargurustarguru Posts: 2,115 Member
    From what I’ve seen, I think I would probably enjoy some little things—like the new mermaid abilities—temporarily, but miss houseboats, diving, etc. in the long-term.

So while I’m vaguely curious, I’m not tempted to buy this pack. It only makes me wish that some of these new options were available for TS3. Why? Because I like how TS3 is designed to begin with. It has a breadth and depth that TS4 just doesn’t have for me. TS4, and this pack in particular, is pretty if you like the art style (I unfortunately do not) and has some intriguing build/buy and CAS content. But when I’ve played the game I feel like I’m circling a fish bowl; bumping into barriers I can see beyond but never get past. Even a pack that *looks* nice won’t remove those limitations for me.

I did the free trial when the game was first released, and then did another free trial two years later. I wasn't wowed, but I bought the BG plus Kids Stuff and Spa Day in 2016, stopped playing, then patched for toddlers, and stopped playing again. I haven’t opened or updated the game since 2018, and only have about 2 dozen hours logged. I still follow TS4 development though... I’m not sure why, since I feel that TS4 just isn’t for me and never will be, at least not in the way TS3 is. I suppose part of it is habit and curiosity, just because I’ve loved and played the series for as long as I have. I like some concepts though, and I also like some of the TS4 to TS3 conversions. But while I do enjoy looking at TS4 screenshots and reading some TS4 stories, seeing them just makes me want to immerse myself in TS3 all over again, even though I've never left it.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

I would urge you not to hate. It is such a negative emotion. If I may say you come across as a real lover of TS3 and your posts help give this game a more positive image which spreads the word about how good it really is. There is nothing to say that we the players can't promote this game and at this stage in it's life cycle that is probably far more effective than anything EA might say or do.

You know what's negative and worse? Lying about TS3 to try to make TS4 look good based on lies. I'm not the one going around lying about something. If anything, I've been telling the truth not only about TS3, but about TS4 as well.

It's really annoying how TS3 haters lie OVER and OVER about TS3, about how laggy it is and how ugly the graphics and sims are, how buggy the Island Paradise EP is, that it has all these rabbitholes, etc. But everything they keep repeating have already been addressed: that computers have caught up so that it doesn't really lag anymore, how graphics preference is subjective and not a good reason to play or not play a game, how you can just replace the default skin for better looking sims, how you can fix or replace Isla Paradiso so that it's no longer buggy, that the rabbitholes can be replaced by content the devs and modders made, etc. But they all ignore that and just keep repeating the lies. Just so that their poor quality TS4 can look better against TS3 based on lies. TS3 can't help it if it's a vastly better game. Why can't TS4 simmers show their love for their game without bashing TS3?

The only good thing that comes out of them bashing TS3 however is that it lets me point out how untrue their lies are and show how much better TS3 is.

I'll stop hating when they stop lying.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    igazor wrote: »
    TS3 is a currently being sold product though. In addition to the base game and the available 20 EP/SPs, the still active TS3 store for added content has got to be very lucrative. It wouldn't really make sense for the company to "attack" its own revenue source, given there is enough room in many players' hearts and computers for both games. Neglect a bit, or something less than shower with attention might come to mind, but attack seems a bit harsh (notwithstanding what a guru here and there might jokingly say about games no longer in development).

A new TS4 EP is out right now that corresponds to a TS3 EP which is far better. They want the new TS4 EP to sell which is at a higher price than the TS3 EP (which is at this moment on sale at Steam's Summer Sale). You do the math.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    AlexaKry wrote: »
    @PHOEBESMOM601 : hm, from my point of view I don´t think The Sims games are/were ahead of the curve for social situations. I think they run after them. :/

I suppose that depends on where you live. Not all places in the US are equal. Then again, I believe you're in Europe? Much different.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    I don't think its fair to compare Island Paradise to Island living when IP is on sale. When Island Paradise came out it sold for $40.00 if I remember correctly, so technically we aren't being charged any more for sims 4 Expansions than we were for sims 3 expansions. But I still feel like we get less out of our $40 dollars for sims 4 content than we did when we got content for sims 3.
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Techbilt wrote: »
    I don't think its fair to compare Island Paradise to Island living when IP is on sale. When Island Paradise came out it sold for $40.00 if I remember correctly, so technically we aren't being charged any more for sims 4 Expansions than we were for sims 3 expansions. But I still feel like we get less out of our $40 dollars for sims 4 content than we did when we got content for sims 3.

Oh I agree with you, but someone was saying that there was no reason for EA to attack TS3 right now. But there is when a new EP just came out for TS4 that costs more than a similar TS3 EP which is cheaper. EA would much prefer if people buy the new more expensive one (though it has far less bang for the buck) than the older better one, so they are going to do what they can to discourage buying the TS3 EP.
  • Options
    FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    I bought Island Living. It's not nearly as good as Isla Paradiso (though I use a custom world). Dolphins are lame. Turtles are decoration (Sims 3 has better turtles). There's no beach games. You can't play with your toddler in the water. Mermaids are okay, but aside from being super pretty, I'm not quite sure what's so involved about them. I like them better than Sims 3 mermaids, though. Like Sims 3 mermaids, Sims 4 mermaids swim everywhere. Unlike Sims 3 mermaids, they get there faster that way. There's still almost no activities that sims can do together. The conservationist career is good, but the others are rabbithole jobs.

If you like Sims 4, you'll like this pack. It doesn't add anything really new to the table, but it does what Sims 4 does quite well.

The latest patch is pretty buggy, though. I get last exceptions left and right, even with no mods in at all. Blob of clay and family aspirations do wonky stuff. And mermaid genetics aren't passed down.

Honestly, I bought this because IP is my favorite Sims 3 pack. And for the cost of a meal out, it's not so bad. But it does have me playing Sims 3 again.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @Felicity I agree if people like 4 they'll like this. After playing around with it for a few days I find it's like the rest of TS4, pretty to look at but not much depth. I am, however, in love with TS4 CAS. If I had that in TS3 I'd never look for another Sim version again.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    No, it is not enough to tempt me away. It looks pretty in a cartoony way so I'll watch a few videos on YT to see the pretty mermaids and leave it at that. The only thing that would tempt me away from TS3 is …. well that's a whole 'nuther thread. :wink:
  • Options
    smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    For me it is, I was never able to get Isla Paradiso to work for me, even on this new computer. I was able to get in and within minutes it would freeze and never stop.

I don't know if you realize this, that if Isla Paradiso doesn't work for you and you don't feel like fixing it, you can play other tropical worlds similar to Isla Paradiso that won't freeze or glitch. They're all free too.
    I'm glad to hear you are enjoying IL and that it is working for you. I'm also sorry to hear about your experiences with IP. That must have been very off putting. There are solutions for most known issues with IP but, as you also say it is a new computer it might be something simple like an adjustment to your graphics card. I appreciate you are happy with TS4 but maybe hubby might want to visit the TS3 help section because he might want to play IP.

I doubt they want the whole world to know how playable TS3 is and how fixable its "problems" are. It's apparent that EA is in "attack TS3" mode once again because a new TS4 EP is out that isn't as good as TS3's.

The latest disappointment about the island pack I'm finding out now is that this pack was supposed to be a GP - a game pack, not an EP. That's why it doesn't have as much as an EP should have. But it DOES have the EP price tag.

I really HATE EA at this point.

No I did not know that. What ones in TS3 can you play? I have bought some worlds before, but I did not buy any of the island ones. My husband does like to play Sims 3 still whenever I am not on playing 4. I would love to find an island world there, he would love that, please and thanks so much for any help on that. It was a huge bummer, I had made a lifeguard and wanted to do that, he always makes really active sims (like himself) and I know he would love love an island area he could play that would work, can you tell me what ones there are? thanks so much!
  • Options
    For me it is, I was never able to get Isla Paradiso to work for me, even on this new computer. I was able to get in and within minutes it would freeze and never stop. The new Island in Sims 4 works great for me, I have not had any issues with it, already going into the end of my 2nd season there. I have been enjoying it so much, that if my husband did not still play Sims 3 on this computer I would remove it and just play this now. I used to be tempted to go back to 3 and did some, but not anymore. I have still barely touched the surface of things to do and after all that time already, I cannot wait to do more things, it is so far my favorite pack (even tho vampires were my fave and still kinda are) Mermaids are now tied with how much I love vampires. I really love how they did the mermaids this time. I love how you cannot tell unless they bring out the tail in water. I love how they have powers and can do so many things with the weather as well as other sims. I am truly enjoying this pack more than any other pack I have had (and I have them all).

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying IL and that it is working for you. I'm also sorry to hear about your experiences with IP. That must have been very off putting. There are solutions for most known issues with IP but, as you also say it is a new computer it might be something simple like an adjustment to your graphics card. I appreciate you are happy with TS4 but maybe hubby might want to visit the TS3 help section because he might want to play IP.

Thank you so much, he is going to look there as well and I am grateful for all of the help and advice, thank you!
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    For me it is, I was never able to get Isla Paradiso to work for me, even on this new computer. I was able to get in and within minutes it would freeze and never stop.

I don't know if you realize this, that if Isla Paradiso doesn't work for you and you don't feel like fixing it, you can play other tropical worlds similar to Isla Paradiso that won't freeze or glitch. They're all free too.

I doubt they want the whole world to know how playable TS3 is and how fixable its "problems" are. It's apparent that EA is in "attack TS3" mode once again because a new TS4 EP is out that isn't as good as TS3's.

The latest disappointment about the island pack I'm finding out now is that this pack was supposed to be a GP - a game pack, not an EP. That's why it doesn't have as much as an EP should have. But it DOES have the EP price tag.

I really HATE EA at this point.

No I did not know that. What ones in TS3 can you play? I have bought some worlds before, but I did not buy any of the island ones. My husband does like to play Sims 3 still whenever I am not on playing 4. I would love to find an island world there, he would love that, please and thanks so much for any help on that. It was a huge bummer, I had made a lifeguard and wanted to do that, he always makes really active sims (like himself) and I know he would love love an island area he could play that would work, can you tell me what ones there are? thanks so much!

The tropical islands you can use to replace Isla Paradiso are totally free. I got some of them from the favorite worlds thread. This one is Suvadiva by Nilxis. It's a small vacation world, but very well designed! I love it! Click on the blue title for the blog page that further describes this world and for download.

You should check out Nilxis' other worlds too!

Another world I really enjoy as well is A Childs Paradise by EngelSim83. It has 5 diving lots with tons of treasure! It's a larger world with everything in it! Click on the blue title for a description and more screenshots. It has a download link from the creator's blog, but here is the direct download from EngelSim83's Sims 3 Exchange page: A Childs Paradise by EngelSim83

There's a lot of other worlds, all free, in these websites so check them out!

• Options
    SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    Hi @smurfy77

Going slightly off topic here Rflong7's player made worlds are cc free and one of my all time favorites that has everything in one medium world is called Legacy Island III it has all diving and watersports etc just download and pop the simpak in your downloads folder or allow it to directly download into your game and have a look around I am sure you will be delighted with the lack of lag you may be experiencing in IP :)

https://www.thesims3.com/assetDetail.html?assetId=8219962
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    SPARKY1922 wrote: »
    Hi @smurfy77

Going slightly off topic here Rflong7's player made worlds are cc free and one of my all time favorites that has everything in one medium world is called Legacy Island III it has all diving and watersports etc just download and pop the simpak in your downloads folder or allow it to directly download into your game and have a look around I am sure you will be delighted with the lack of lag you may be experiencing in IP :)

Oh my gosh, I forgot! Yes, Rflong7's worlds too! They're fantastic!!! Here's the creator's webpage!

• Options
    SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sulani is lovely, but no.

What was enough, however, was the base game for free. That got me to try it, and I am playing it now.

With TS3, my game was getting very slow on my poor old laptop, if I included all my "indespensible" EPs, and continued a family beyond a single generation. Just loading a save was a serious time commitment. I love those Sims, I love my builds, but I was ready for a lighter option.

• Options
    Hi @smurfy77

Thank you so much!
  • Options
    @smurfy77

You are very welcome enjoy :)
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Hi @smurfy77

Hah, my current game is in that world too. I use NRAAS Tempest to give it, IIRC, San Diego weather. I actually love Isla Paradiso, but it takes too much work to get the game started for me.
  • Options
    @Felicity

I understand what you mean i am currently working on my save game of IP so it has all the lots/families I want in the world but none of the bad routing but this takes time to sort it all out and test but I know in the end it will be worth it because it's one of my most favorite worlds where my sims can literally houseboat around the map stopping wherever they want to dive, fish and swim so I intend to save this game and if/when my game borks just replace it with the new save adding back all my families I am used to playing/seeing in that world. I like the idea of San Diego weather have you any pics of that would love to have a look :)
  • Options
    @Felicity

I understand what you mean i am currently working on my save game of IP so it has all the lots/families I want in the world but none of the bad routing but this takes time to sort it all out and test but I know in the end it will be worth it because it's one of my most favorite worlds where my sims can literally houseboat around the map stopping wherever they want to dive, fish and swim so I intend to save this game and if/when my game borks just replace it with the new save adding back all my families I am used to playing/seeing in that world. I like the idea of San Diego weather have you any pics of that would love to have a look :)

Pictures of the settings? I don't, but if you use NRAAS Tempest, there is a tuning mod you can use to adjust the climates to various areas around the world.

https://www.nraas.net/community/Tempest (main mod -- goes in mod folder)
    https://potato-ballad-sims.tumblr.com/post/154588263977/tempest-tuning-by-gcirelli (tuning file -- goes in library folder)

You do a total reset for Tempest to make the new climate options appear, then you can set the weather for each season to one of the climates. You do have to do it for all four seasons (or more if you have custom seasons in as well), but all the tuning has been done for you. It's great.
  • Options
    Hi @Felicity

I understand NRASS mods I was just hoping for pics as I love looking at them but no worries :)
  • Options
    OH! LOL! Sorry, no, I don't have any screenshots. I always forget to take them. Legacy Island III is an amazing world, though. There's a few townies in it whose avatar from here I recognize, which is fun too.
  • Options
    @Felicity

No worries i am just a pic addict thats all :)