Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The TS4 Tropical Pack - Is it enough to tempt you away from TS3?

Comments

• Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    @Bettyboop55 Well that’s the thing, it’s one of the better expansions. My favourite is seasons with that a close second. If someone was thinking about trying it, I would suggest to. Perhaps I am too biased with my love for TS3 because I can’t not help but compare.

If I try very hard to pretend the sims 3 doesn’t exist I would give it a 6.

You clearly have more experience of the TS4 packs than I do. I think we all do a comparison to our favourite version. It must be hard for those players who go all the way back to TS1. Is there any benefit in you treating Sulani as a holiday destination so it can be incorporated into your gameplay without you feeling that generational play is not a possibility with this pack. Probably not was intended but it might allow you to get more from it. Thanks again for the feedback.

I am guilty of doing that, when Get Famous came out I compared it to superstar.
    I could move future families out and have them visit, that is always a possibility. Perhaps it will get vacation homes added. The world is beautiful though. Did a lot more exploring and found some other fun things. It’s definitely growing on me.

Good :) Mind you I am still finding new things in TS3 packs I have played for years !
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
    Deshong04 wrote: »
    Is it enough to tempt me from TS3?

No. I would rather play The Sims: Vacation and actually I've been meaning to re-install all of TS anyway. Too bad they never brought back volleyball. :(

Why does TS4 Island Living not tempt me from TS3?

Because it does nothing extensively better and is actually worse because of retrogression while having loading screens interrupt the immersion of gameplay than have one seamless huge play area. The game engine overall is nothing spectacular and is not on the same level in terms of improvement and advancements that TS3 game engine/TS3 Island Paradise introduced. Most features and content I have seen in the trailer are the same things already done before but this time around is just a weak version of it rather than improving and advancing over the old plus with brand new worthwhile features and content never been done before in the main PC series.

So no, I'm not impressed nor tempted. But off-topic, I've become impressed by Cyberpunk 2077 and now I hope that will be one of the few games I get day one besides Final Fantasy VIII:Remastered and Death Stranding. Oh and Pokemon Sword and Shield. Too many quality games that I actually care about and have proven to be worthy of my attention. Overall, TS4 Island Living can't hold a candle to TS3 Island Paradise.

So that's my honest thoughts and criticism. Delete it, leave it...I don't care. Do as you please.

No I won't delete it because I think you have expressed how you feel very eloquently. I suspect many TS3 players feel as you do and honest criticism is the only way for things to improve. I'm glad you have alternative games which are equally precious to you. Enjoy your summer with all the new releases :)
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.

Sim enim est vita
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    I will keep playing Sims 3 until the Sims 4 packs I want go on sale. I like both games but I am not done with Sims 3 yet.

Sounds like you have the best of all worlds and considerably more restraint than a lot of sim players. There were some TS3 packs I couldn't wait to play, sale or no sale :)

Sim enim est vita
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    I love anything with a tropical theme from The Sims, so TS2's Bon Voyage and TS3's Island Paradise EPs, and The Sims Castaway Stories are my absolute favorites! So my interest was piqued when there were rumors of a tropical EP coming in the summer. When it was confirmed in the leaks, I was so excited! When I saw the trailer for it at EA Play, I was ready to buy it! But it was a good thing that I didn't jump right in and pre-pay. In the following week, certain facts came out about what was missing:
    • no resort/hotel building and management
    • scuba diving is a rabbit hole career
    • lifeguard is a rabbit hole career
    • no initial transformation from sim to mermaid
    • lounge chairs with only few interactions and not worth the long wait

I was already upset about no hotel building and management, but to have scuba diving and the lifeguard career as rabbit holes? Those are actually three fun things to do that would have made that EP "meatier".

So now I don't think it is worth buying it. I have TS3's Island Paradise EP which is so packed full of great features:
    • resort/hotel building and management to bring to 5-star rating and discover a new island!
    • scuba diving is a real, active career - plus you can build your own diving lots! You will also discover another island this way.
    • active lifeguard career - it's a slow career but lets you do other stuff in between rescues! This would lead to discovering another island as you patrol the beaches.
    • initial transformation from sim to mermaid - important for story telling!
    • lounge chairs are not much changed, but we've had them from the beginning
    • the world is beautiful and you can create more tropical worlds in TS3
    • more water craft types
    • wind-surfing!
    • water-skiing! (don't use the fastest jet boat though, trust me! lol!)
    • houseboats that travel!
    • the Kraken!
    • sharks! Love that they didn't leave out the dangerous element!
    • there was actually a quest you can get from the hotel clerk which would lead to discovering another island
    • I love all the townies of this world! They all make great friends!

I think for TS4 simmers, it's still a good pack considering everything else in TS4. But as a TS3 simmer it doesn't have enough to tempt me when they took out important features that should have been part of it.
    Wow @ClarionOfJoy thank you for such a detailed analysis. You obviously gave the idea of buying this new pack a great deal of thought. I too saw the EA play video and for the first time in a long time I was actually interested enough to find out more. However when I saw another trailer that was when I started asking questions about what would be missing. While I am pleased that TS4 has finally got lounge chairs that is a very small trade off for proper divng and life saving careers, resorts and houseboats. I should imagine by now most long term TS4 players accept that they get less in their packs than previous iterations but for a long term TS3 player I feel it is still a deal breaker.

Still good luck to anyone who wants to try the pack and finds it is enough to keep them interested in playing more TS4. For me I have more than enough to keep me with TS3 for a very long time. As I have said before it will take something really special to tempt me away :)

Sim enim est vita
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy has nailed it really. Couldn’t have said it better.

I kind of feel like I’ve saw all the fun things in island living already. Whereas I still find fun things in the sims 3 there i have never saw before.
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    I have always loved Island Paradise. It was one of the two reasons I became a simmer (the other was World Adventures). But I am also loving Island Living. I just genuinely can't stop playing it, because real life seems so boring and grey compared to it!

@ClarionOfJoy , you have made a list of things IP has that IL doesn't have, but there are also things in IL that IP doesn't have:
    - the conservationist career, which is an open career like lifeguard is in IP. I'm playing it now and so far I'm enjoying it more that IP lifeguards because the tasks seem more varied, but I've only been working for three or four sim days so it's early to tell
    - dolphins
    - an active volcano
    - the ability to enter the sea directly from the deck of a house built above the sea
    - tanning with tan lines from clothes or sunscreen
    - "off the grid" lots where life is cheaper, but there is no plumbing and electricity; also the ability to make nudist lots
    - elemental spirits
    - events that pop up, like a pit barbecue, a fire dance of baby turtles hatching
    - features of Polynesian culture like outrigger canoes and the kava ceremony.

All together I would say there is much more gameplay in Island Paradise, but if you don't view Island Living as a replacement for Island Paradise but as a tropical expansion of a completely different game, it's very, very enjoyable.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    I'm here to confess. I have an addiction. I must buy Sim stuff. I developed the addiction while playing TS3 and hunting for TS2 packs. I bought everything Sims after being introduced to TS3. I loved it so much I started collecting TS2 stuff when it was hard to find EPs. I haunted ebay looking for the elusive "like new" discs. I was ecstatic when I got a free copy of the Ultimate TS2 collection.

All that being said....I bought Island Living last night. I did it not long before bedtime so I'll have to take another look at it today. The little I saw was impressive but today actual game play will get tested.

I'm not sure that anything will tempt me away from TS3...or TS2 for that matter...and I have a problem. Being acquainted with all three I find I get a little dissatisfied with each because they don't have the same attributes of the others. To explain, for me TS2 has some of the best game play, TS3 has the most beautiful scenery and best building capabilities. I do think hands down, with the exception of no CASt, TS4 has an absolutely brilliant CAS. But when I play any of them I miss things the others have.

I'm waiting for a Sim ultimate. The intricate game play of 2, the open world and building of 3 and the CAS of 4.

I'll give it a workout today and see what happens.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy Quote

"I love all the townies of this world! They all make great friends!"

That is so cute <3

I love them too my favorites are

Regular Townies

Rei Matsui
    Ashley Alto :o (Age her up to young adult)

Homeless townies

Ariel Walsh
    Inez Montero
    Tammie Opali
    Yesenia Almira

NPC townies

Blanca Rocco (Age her up to YA) :love:

I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited June 2019
    The charm of IP for me are the open waters and travelling over water. And travelling isn’t a thing in Sims 4, it never will be. I also regret scuba diving is a rabbithole. The mermaids are well done I believe, but so are vampires and considering my problem with the game being how sims function, that won’t be enough. My love for supernaturals in Sims 3 is based on the fact that I love sims in Sims 3. Them being supernatural makes them extra special. Certain powers added to a Sims 4 sim, I discovered when playing vampires, isn’t enough for me to enjoy playing them. There’s still the strange aura system triggering emotions (I like the emotions, I don’t like the way they are triggered) and the strange phenomenon that these sims all seem little islands, just acting like they care but they never actually do.

The pack looks awesome, Sims 4 is good at selling itself with its looks and trailers. But I want the game to entertain me, I don’t want to just look at it. I fell for JA, I was enchanted. Bought it based on what it seemed to promise. That promise lasted two, three hours, then I was done. I’m not going to fall for it again. I’m perfectly happy with what Sims 3 has to offer in the similar pack (probably more).
    5JZ57S6.png
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    PalmArrow wrote: »
    I have always loved Island Paradise. It was one of the two reasons I became a simmer (the other was World Adventures). But I am also loving Island Living. I just genuinely can't stop playing it, because real life seems so boring and grey compared to it!

@ClarionOfJoy , you have made a list of things IP has that IL doesn't have, but there are also things in IL that IP doesn't have:
    - the conservationist career, which is an open career like lifeguard is in IP. I'm playing it now and so far I'm enjoying it more that IP lifeguards because the tasks seem more varied, but I've only been working for three or four sim days so it's early to tell
    - dolphins
    - an active volcano
    - the ability to enter the sea directly from the deck of a house built above the sea
    - tanning with tan lines from clothes or sunscreen
    - "off the grid" lots where life is cheaper, but there is no plumbing and electricity; also the ability to make nudist lots
    - elemental spirits
    - events that pop up, like a pit barbecue, a fire dance of baby turtles hatching
    - features of Polynesian culture like outrigger canoes and the kava ceremony.

All together I would say there is much more gameplay in Island Paradise, but if you don't view Island Living as a replacement for Island Paradise but as a tropical expansion of a completely different game, it's very, very enjoyable.
    Mentioning the conservationist career is a valuable addition to the conversation, especially when it’s fun. Which doesn’t mean it’s not an incomprehensible flaw that both the lifeguard and scuba diving are rabbitholes but indeed, if the pack has another in depth open career, it needs to be mentioned.

As for the other things you mention, my issue with Sims 4 has always been that it may look nice on paper, but what does it actually add for the player on the long run? (Sims 3 has quite a lot of that too by the way) Rubbing a dolphin is great, but for how long? (making them do tricks is pretty controversial by the way, surprised that’s even in there) What does the volcano do, is it fun to play on a lot with naked sims (and why is it fun), what do ‘elemental spirits’ do, are the events fun and add new gameplay and what do the features of Polynesian culture add?

What’s the fun and will it remain being fun or is it just fun once or twice. I spent those two, three hours playing JA with sparkling eyes, I was having so much fun and I so wánt Sims 4 to be fun. And then it just extinguished. I had found the temple, I clicked the ‘traps’, I made the choices, I saw the skeletton (who didn’t do anything interesting nor threatening) and after I had finished it I realized that sure, I could return and do the same traps in a different layout but why bother. Never ever felt like that doing tombs in Sims 3, can’t get enough of them. And I’m not going to buy a pack just because a sim can jump of a stilt foundation. Which I think was patched in by the way, you don’t need the pack for that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited June 2019
    I will be making a further assessment but so far

the scenery/views are awesome

I like the mermaids I like the way they swim and the way they look but thats all I have seen so far because the rest of the time I have been trying to fix bug annoyances (as always-)

I will be back when I have actually managed to do a few things to be able to compare it to 3 however there is no way 4 can win over 3 IP on content and playability :)
    Hello @PalmArrow so glad you are enjoying the pack and thank you for taking the time to post :) Thank you also for mentioning some of the new features which come with the pack. I just love dolphins (who doesn't). The new career is very right now and I wonder if they reduced the life saver and diving careers to rabbit holes because of the limitations of the game engine and the budget. Someone else did comment on the quality of the water under the surface as well. All a real pity when you consider how much work they then put into the scuba masks :)

Sim enim est vita
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Mentioning the conservationist career is a valuable addition to the conversation, especially when it’s fun. Which doesn’t mean it’s not an incomprehensible flaw that both the lifeguard and scuba diving are rabbitholes but indeed, if the pack has another in depth open career, it needs to be mentioned.

@JoAnne65 , I agree, I am disappointed scuba diving and the lifeguard career are rabbitholes in IL! There is one little thing I like, and that is that there are NPC lifeguards on beaches. In TS3 I often wished I could actually see the townies employed in the lifeguard career performing their job on the beach. I can only hope that if TS5 gets a tropical expansion, we will get both an open lifeguard career and townie lifeguards.

I had a similar reaction to Jungle Adventure to you - loved it immensely at first, but once I discovered all the hidden lots I didn't feel the need to return to Selvadorada, unlike the WA destination worlds which I often visit with my sims without exploring any tombs. I think Island Living will be different because it doesn't have a linear storyline, but time will tell.

I've seen many differing opinions on depth of gameplay - in threads similar to this one in the TS4 section, I've seen players claim that the scuba diving in TS3 was boring and repetitive and that the resort system in TS3 was terrible because it's obviously fake (because a resort gets lots of reviews, but only one or two actual sims staying there). I must have really bad taste then, because I've played a lot with both scuba diving and resorts, and I'm not tired of either yet!

@Bettyboop55 , yes, the ocean looks a little strange because you can see into it sideways! :smiley:
    @JoAnne being cautious after previous TS4 packs did not match the hype is perfectly understandable. I would also say that was the case for the majority of TS3 EPs but then we really started to explore the pack content and found the hidden gems. I am still finding things in SN which surprise and delight even after all this time but the first time my witch flew on a vacuum cleaner remains one of my absolute favourites and I do not tire of it. With TS4 for some players the animations and task completion do not stand up to be constantly repeated. I feel this is more of a flaw with the iteration than each individual pack. Perhaps it is a sign of the times, people want to complete something quickly and then move on to the next best thing. Difficult also for generational play as someone else commented Sulani is not going to be the place for legacies.

You mention about finding out more about what some of these new features bring to the game. It is obviously very early days, most people only got their packs yesterday. I am sure the plethora of youtube videos will give us a much better idea in the next week or so. From what I saw watching EA play the volcano does do more but they were a bit coy about that. I look forward as always to seeing LGR's review :)

Sim enim est vita
    @SPARKY1922 sorry to hear about the bugs. I don't think there has ever been a completely bug free pack released on day 1. I do hope you get to exploring and playing soon :)

Sim enim est vita
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    They did not WOW me enough to even consider buying the base game yet. I saw the trailers, looked at threads, read the pro's and con's and it is not worth it to me to spend a nickel considering I don't like the art style of the game to begin with. At this point, I don't think they will ever WOW me because I know what it would take for me to ignore the art style and buy the game. If they can't improve lounge chairs over what Sims3 has they will never be able to give me the things I want in a game. That's ok...my money goes for other things now and I still love and play Sims 3.
  • jillbgjillbg Posts: 4,600 Member
    Nope. It is not tempting at all... B)
    NymlADp.jpg
  • jobug1015jobug1015 Posts: 1,854 Member
    I bought it for my daughter and have downloaded it to my laptop but haven’t played it yet. I’ve been back to playing TS3 for the past few weeks and I’m having so much fun with it. I’ll check it out soon, but not just yet. 😊
    o2vOgnf.jpg?2
    @PalmArrow I think if you don't play something regularly you tend to forget what the game is really like. I also think some people take what they are told about a game at face value when it might be better to investigate further. That's how a lot of fallacies get rooted. You experience of IP is recent and rooted in fact :)

Sim enim est vita
  • SunnyyesjamsSunnyyesjams Posts: 541 Member
    Not really. Rather than this island pack I was more tempted by toddlers, get together, seasons and parenthood pack. I like packs that expand the game everywhere, not just in one world. The fact that a majority of features of this pack is locked into one world just makes it auto -50 points for me. I understand that technically it's not possible to include the swimming, dolphins etc in other worlds because they don't have ocean lots, but that itself is a flaw in the foundation of the game.
    kwdT9wX.gif
  • TechbiltTechbilt Posts: 258 Member
    No the pack if anything has kicked me back to TS3. Everything I learn about the pack: No new whims were added, Mermaids aren't nearly as fleshed out as vampires, the gameplay seems shallow, but by golly the world sure is pretty! Honestly, I've tried to stick with 4, but Island living just seems like a game pack from what I've seen, even Game Changers are disappointed with it now that they can play at their leisure with it. I'm personally done with the SIms 4. I'll be sticking with 2 and 3 from now on, I wanted sims 4 to be the greatest game in the franchise but I don't have hope for it anymore.

I booted up TS3 today and played for almost 12 hours, I forgot how easy it was to cancel a sims actions, to get them to go somewhere with out 'multitasking' they actually perform the actions they are told.
    @bekkasan , @jillbg I think if you are happy with TS3 then there's currently no need to look elsewhere for a sims game. The problem for some people who have tried TS4 and found it not to their liking there remains that vague hope there will be a pack which allows them to get into the game. Obviously that isn't likely to be the case for those who don't like the art style or miss CASt or open worlds too much. Those are major deal breakers but for others, who perhaps want greater depth of gameplay or more features to enhance the gameplay there is always that vague hope.

Sim enim est vita
    jobug1015 wrote: »
    I bought it for my daughter and have downloaded it to my laptop but haven’t played it yet. I’ve been back to playing TS3 for the past few weeks and I’m having so much fun with it. I’ll check it out soon, but not just yet. 😊

One of the best reasons yet for not trying the new pack :) Welcome back :smiley: Glad to hear you are having fun rediscovering TS3.

Sim enim est vita
    @Sunnyyesjams we all want such different things from our games but one of the most common is family orientated gameplay. I was pleased and very surprised when they added toddlers because I genuinely believed there was no real intent to do so. Obviously they have added more since and lets hope they continue to do so. Hopefully gameplay and features which cross all worlds.

Sim enim est vita