March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

[BETA] The Sims 4 History Challenge (2.0)

SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Introduction
The Sims 4 History Challenge is a Legacy-style challenge that takes you and your Sims on a journey through history. You’ll start in the Stone Age, and progress all the way to Modern Day. Each Era is designed to be unique and provide a different experience from the Era before it, while still maintaining historic accuracy. You’ll be restricted on what objects, careers, and aspirations you can have, but will unlock more options as you play. While these restrictions will force you to adhere to the struggles of that Era, there are also unique goals that will encourage you to experience life in that time period.

This challenge was originally created by Cloudseeker, and inspired by the Through History Legacy Challenge for the Sims 3, as well as the Legacy challenge. Credit and thanks to Cassalina, Pinstar, and ImaginingMystic for the inspiration behind the challenge, and a huge thanks to Cloudseeker for creating the original History Challenge for the Sims 4. While the challenge may have changed with time from what he originally created, it wouldn’t be here if he hadn’t laid the foundation for such a unique and intriguing challenge.

Credit also goes to Cloudseeker for the images used in this section. Enjoy!

Well, now that that's out of the way... Hi! I'm Snowie, the lead maintainer for this challenge. Yes, you read that correctly, I'm not the original creator of the History Challenge. The original creator, Cloudseeker, has given me his blessing to keep this challenge alive--you can check out his notes on the subject in the original History Challenge thread here. I've been updating this challenge from his original template for the last two years now, and decided it was time to take a second look at everything and rebuild it from the ground up--which is exactly what I've done!

The reason this challenge is still flagged as Beta is because there hasn't been enough feedback on the long-term goals of the challenge, as it is a rather long one. The length of the challenge is also why I won't be posting all the rules, goals, etc. on this thread. Please check out the Google Document here to read through everything about the challenge. I do apologize for any inconvenience that not posting the entirety of that document's contents on the forums may cause, but the challenge is much clearer and easier to understand in the format that I designed it for.

There are some challenge-wide goals that you'll be shooting for in this challenge, as well as a smaller set of goals for each generation. There are two difficulties; Casual and Historian, as well as an Enduring Eras mode that will make the challenge longer and slower paced. Check out the "Eras" and "Challenge-Wide Goals" sections for an explanation on how those work. Since there's a lot to track, I've made a scoresheet that will allow you to keep track of your progress on all the goals, as well as a family tree to record your Sims through the generations! Please follow the instructions on how to make a copy of this scoresheet for yourself, as the link will take you to the read-only master copy.

This post is long enough already, so I'll leave it at that! Links to the challenge and scoresheet are below, as well as the change log. Happy Simming!

History Challenge Google Doc
History Challenge Scoresheets

Oh, and there's now a Discord server for this challenge! If you want, you can come hang out. We have channels for suggestions, questions, CC and more! :)
Discord Link

Change Log 2/27/24
Expansions and stuff packs and millions of kits, oh my! This update adds support for Growing Together, Horse Ranch, For Rent, Home Chef Hustle, and Crystal Creations, as well as a few general updates to fill in missing content and rebalance the Renaissance.
Mini-Update: 2/29/24
This is the update for the Crystal Creations stuff pack! I did some deliberating on this one, since the crafting table (shocker) isn’t overly history-friendly despite the skill fitting well in history. Additionally, I decided to separate the aspiration for this pack from the items, as I felt the idea of a Sim devoting their life to this skill made more sense in the time period when crystal charging was refined to how the pack portrays it.
  • The Gemology Table and Crystal Charging Grid will be allowed starting in Early Civilization and onward.
  • Sims may have the Crystal Crafter aspiration starting in the Atomic Age and onward.

General:
  • Telescopes (the new, small ones, not the giant ones) have been moved from the Great Sim Frontier to the Renaissance. Galileo, anybody?
  • You are now allowed to start with any number of pets (horses included) in your household. Just don’t get too crazy with it, or you might regret it!
  • The Lord/Lady of the Knits aspiration has been moved from the Middle Ages to the Great Sim Frontier, since it requires “computer” access.
  • The base game Neighborhood Confidante aspiration has been added to the Middle Ages, and the base game Villainous Valentine aspiration has been added to the Great Sim Frontier.
  • Ice Skating Rinks were added to the Renaissance, and Roller Skating Rinks were added to the Industrial Revolution.
  • Washing Machines and Dryers were added to the Roaring 20’s.
  • Infant-related furniture has been added to the Stone Age, but may be moved if it’s too immersion-breaking and isn’t too inconvenient to play without.

And finally, one of the goals for the Renaissance has been changed. Previously, they were too artistic-focused for one era. While the arts were certainly booming during the renaissance, so were philosophical and scientific discoveries. Hopefully the new goal reflects that, and adds some diversity to this era.
  • Changed the “Jam Session” goals in the Renaissance to the following:
    - Casual Difficulty: Have a Sim successfully “Provide Logical Solutions to Problems” or “Rant Logically” 10 times.
    - Historian Difficulty: Have a Sim successfully “Provide Logical Solutions to Problems” or “Rant Logically” with 10 different Sims.

Growing Together:
Originally, I made a discord post about this pack saying that there wasn’t much to update for it. Since then, I’ve re-evaluated the new features of this pack and added them to this challenge. Please take a look as these updates haven’t been posted anywhere else so far.
  • Sims may purchase and use Treehouses and Changing Tables starting in the Stone Age.
  • Starting in the Middle Ages, Sims may now have the Creative Genius child aspiration and buy and use Friendship Bracelet Kits.
  • Sims may have the Slumber Party Animal child aspiration starting in the Renaissance.
  • Sims may have the Mind and Body child aspiration starting in the Great Sim Frontier.
  • Sims may have the Playtime Captain child aspiration starting in the Atomic Age. Additionally, you may build and visit Recreation Centers starting in this era.

Horse Ranch:
  • Horses can be added to the household from the beginning of the challenge. However, you will not be allowed to participate in Horse Competitions until the Great Sim Frontier.
  • Starting in the Stone Age, Sims may adopt horses, mini-goats, and mini-sheep freely. You may also purchase Horse/Livestock Beds, Food Troughs, and Water Troughs starting in this era.
  • You may purchase Nectar Makers and Nectar Racks, have the Expert Nectar Maker aspiration, and hire a Ranch Hand starting in Early Civilization.
  • In the Great Sim Frontier, your Sims may now participate in Horse Competitions and have the Championship Rider aspiration.

For Rent:
Originally, I wasn’t going to allow residential rentals until a few generations in. However, the early generations seem like an opportune time to allow this feature so that players can support the large families and close-knit community of the first few eras. More restrictions could be added to this, though, as the goal isn’t to profit off of rentals early on and I haven’t tested this pack much.
  • Starting in the Stone Age, you may purchase and use Marbles and your Sims may own, build, and live on Residential Rental lots.
  • Hopscotch, the Handyperson part-time job, and the Seeker of Secrets aspiration are all allowed starting in Early Civilization.
  • In the Middle Ages and onward, Sims may have the Five-Star Property Owner and Discerning Dweller aspirations.
  • The Water Heater and Fuse Box items may be purchased and used starting in the Industrial Revolution.
  • Sims may purchase Slow Cookers and have the Fount of Tomorani Knowledge aspiration starting in the Atomic Age.

Home Chef Hustle:
This stuff pack comes with a new type of selling table, which will be grouped with “Selling Tables” in the rules as it is functionally the same.
  • Sims may purchase and use Pizza Ovens starting in the Industrial Revolution.
  • Starting in the Roaring 20’s, Sims may have the Market Magnate aspiration and purchase and use the Mixer and Waffle Maker appliances.
  • In the Atomic Age and onward, sims may have the Appliance Whiz aspiration.

That’s all the updates for now! Thank you all for your patience in waiting for this challenge to be officially updated. I’ve been dealing with a lot of life changes over the last couple of years and haven’t had as much time or motivation to focus on this challenge. I do put all my notes for updates to this challenge at the very bottom of this document, and post about support for new packs on the discord server, if you’re looking for updates that haven’t officially been published yet. I hope everyone is enjoying their new year, and happy simming!
Playing the History Challenge? Make sure you have the up-to-date rules here!
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    @Snowie just so you know there's talk that the patch tomorrow is going to allow for traits to be randomise (finally!)
    6adMCGP.gif
  • MikkinessMikkiness Posts: 131 Member
    Out of curiosity what's the best way to track money earned per era?
    owEyOd7.png
  • SnowieSnowie Posts: 441 Member
    edited June 2019
    MadameLee wrote: »
    @Snowie just so you know there's talk that the patch tomorrow is going to allow for traits to be randomise (finally!)
    Yep! I did know about that. Unfortunately, you can only randomize them in CAS, not in the screen when kids are aging up. In any case, the rule that made you randomize all your traits is now removed. :smile:
    Edit: I was wrong! It appears they did add it for the aging up screens as well.
    Mikkiness wrote: »
    Out of curiosity what's the best way to track money earned per era?
    In the scoresheets, I have a little calculator set up. Basically you want to track your net worth at the beginning of one era, and subtract that from your net worth at the beginning of the next era.
    Post edited by Snowie on
  • DebraF63DebraF63 Posts: 230 Member
    Thank you @Snowie this is greatly appreciated.
  • MikkinessMikkiness Posts: 131 Member
    Cheers, @Snowie - that'll do the job nicely :)
    owEyOd7.png
  • EdieArcherEdieArcher Posts: 3 New Member
    I have a question regarding the marriage restrictions of each Era. Since the Early Civilisation Era begins when the Ancestors' grandchild is born, but marriage is forbidden as part of the Prehistoric Times Era, wouldn't the grandchild's birth violate the marriage restriction of the Early Civilisation Era as their parents weren't married when the Early Civilisation Era began?
    In essence, when does the marriage restrictions rule begin? Does it apply to the Prehistoric Times parent the moment their child is born, or does it only apply to those born during the Early Civilisation Era? (I'm only using these two Eras as that's the farthest I've gotten.) In the former case, we've got a rule violation, in the latter case we've got a Prehistoric Times rule applying to Sims during the Early Civilisation.
    EdieArcher wrote: »
    I have a question regarding the marriage restrictions of each Era. Since the Early Civilisation Era begins when the Ancestors' grandchild is born, but marriage is forbidden as part of the Prehistoric Times Era, wouldn't the grandchild's birth violate the marriage restriction of the Early Civilisation Era as their parents weren't married when the Early Civilisation Era began?
    In essence, when does the marriage restrictions rule begin? Does it apply to the Prehistoric Times parent the moment their child is born, or does it only apply to those born during the Early Civilisation Era? (I'm only using these two Eras as that's the farthest I've gotten.) In the former case, we've got a rule violation, in the latter case we've got a Prehistoric Times rule applying to Sims during the Early Civilisation.

At least the way I've always played it, my Ancestors are mates--meaning they're just as devoted to each other as spouses would be, but have no concept of a legally binding union. Their kids, however, would be growing up in the end of the stone age while living their adult lives in early civilization. I usually will marry my gen 1 heir and mate (the ones who have the baby that brings about the new era) at some point after the new era starts. If I'm feeling like it, I'll marry my Ancestors as well, but at that point they probably don't have all that much longer to live anyway.

Since there are no hard and fast rules saying that parents HAVE to be married before having kids, there's no real rule violation here. And even if you were applying a suggested rule for cheating women/🐸🐸🐸🐸 children, these kids wouldn't really be falling under those rules since they were technically born in a different time, with different rules.

Interesting thoughts, though!
    @Snowie according to the patches note the randomise for the traits is also in the "Live Mode Age-Up Molecule"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • RainbowIslandRainbowIsland Posts: 20 Member
    There is this new off-the-grid lot trait coming up with the latest patch. Might be quite interesting for this kind of challenge.
  • lataya24lataya24 Posts: 329 Member
    one thing I thought would be added too early civilization is tea and coffee and wine and beer all these were invented by early civilization.
  • ashlynette92ashlynette92 Posts: 37 Member
    I love this update @Snowie !!!!! I was wondering if you or anyone has any good cc ideas for the new era/the Renaissance.! Any Baroque and Elizabethan cc or what that would look like!
    So upon reaching a new Era, the previous rules are disregarded in favour of the new Era. Okay, that makes sense. What about the Era goals, though? Do we have to complete them within the Era they're created in (like having kids with different mates in the Prehistoric Era), or can it be completed by anyone who was born in that Era even if it moves onto a new one? (E.g. the Ancestors can complete the 'have kids with five people' goal in the Early Civilisation Era.)
    So upon reaching a new Era, the previous rules are disregarded in favour of the new Era. Okay, that makes sense. What about the Era goals, though? Do we have to complete them within the Era they're created in (like having kids with different mates in the Prehistoric Era), or can it be completed by anyone who was born in that Era even if it moves onto a new one? (E.g. the Ancestors can complete the 'have kids with five people' goal in the Early Civilisation Era.)
    As it says in the Era section, the Era goals can only be completed while that Era is active. (Did I say "Era" enough times?)
    There is this new off-the-grid lot trait coming up with the latest patch. Might be quite interesting for this kind of challenge.
    I did know this lot trait was coming, but decided not to require it for the challenge. Partially because I wasn't sure what items it would effect, but also because it didn't seem necessary to add a rule for it. I'm sure it will work great with the first few Eras, and people are more than welcome to use it if they want to!
    lataya24 wrote: »
    one thing I thought would be added too early civilization is tea and coffee and wine and beer all these were invented by early civilization.
    While you are correct, the in-game ways of making these drinks are all very high-tech and would overall be more immersion breaking if I were to put them into Early Civ. If we had a way to grind our own tea leaves and boil water on a grill, for example, that would be much more realistic to the challenge.
  • mego2708mego2708 Posts: 1 New Member
    Thanks for all the work you did to update this! I started last night and I’m really excited to play through the different eras.
  • IllusoryThrallIllusoryThrall Posts: 1,335 Member
    Looking forward to starting my very own History Challenge when Island Living launches. I tried it once before.. but it was right after Cats and Dogs released and I went WAY overboard on the pets and "failed" the challenge. Just couldn't get past the first generation. Lesson learned. :wink: However, I think the Sulani world will be perfect for starting this challenge.. now I just have to wait until it launches. Time passes so slow when you're really looking forward to something!
    I just want to point out, I'm not sure whether it really matters or not, but women in ancient Rome could divorce their husbands (I'm not sure about ancient Greece or Egypt) and even though they weren't common, divorces did occur in the medieval era. Also, apparently there was a case where two men got married in Spain during the 1600s (I think), but this was probably a outlier in a homophobic society. I just wanted to point this out for anyone who may be starting their challenges soon. It provides for some entertaining storytelling.
    I just want to point out, I'm not sure whether it really matters or not, but women in ancient Rome could divorce their husbands (I'm not sure about ancient Greece or Egypt) and even though they weren't common, divorces did occur in the medieval era. Also, apparently there was a case where two men got married in Spain during the 1600s (I think), but this was probably a outlier in a plum society. I just wanted to point this out for anyone who may be starting their challenges soon. It provides for some entertaining storytelling.

can't answer about Roman, Greece, or Egypt but in Medvial Times-turn of the 18th century it would be really difficult in a place like Britain to get a divorce. The 1600s being the 17th century would be consider the end of the Renaissance which begin in the 14th century (1300s) so not "Medvial Times" being from 5th (400s) to the 15th (1400s).
    6adMCGP.gif
    my sim laugh her self to death and then her mate was sad to death then my baby was taken i really can not have a success family. even in sims 3 my family died out first generation.
    my sim laugh her self to death and then her mate was sad to death then my baby was taken i really can not have a success family. even in sims 3 my family died out first generation.

Lol, sometimes these things happen! Give it another try :smile:
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    I just want to point out, I'm not sure whether it really matters or not, but women in ancient Rome could divorce their husbands (I'm not sure about ancient Greece or Egypt) and even though they weren't common, divorces did occur in the medieval era. Also, apparently there was a case where two men got married in Spain during the 1600s (I think), but this was probably a outlier in a plum society. I just wanted to point this out for anyone who may be starting their challenges soon. It provides for some entertaining storytelling.

Women could also divorce their husbands in Ancient Greece, but at one point they required permission from the government first (men did not). That rule changed eventually, but I'm not sure when. I've also read that in the case of a divorce, the children would generally remain with their father. I'm not sure on the accuracy of this, but I can imagine if true that would make some women less inclined to divorce their husbands. You're very right that this makes for good storytelling!
  • AshubiiAshubii Posts: 795 Member
    I just started this after wanting to for a very long time! I'm excited to see where it goes (: I am changing some of the historical eras to better suit my story, however. I'm not sure how I'll work some of the era-specific goals, but that'll be a fun personal challenge to figure out
    :p
    starting in the island with the volcano is the best place bc the waterfall u can shower in it without having to leave the lot.
    starting in the island with the volcano is the best place bc the waterfall u can shower in it without having to leave the lot.

Yep! That's why I listed it as a recommended starting spot. I'm not sure if toddlers can get hygiene from it though, let me know if/when you find out!
    well the volcano pit is way better then the campfire no auto marshmallow so i using that and grill and bonfire easy to make a feast for the family but question can we use kava pot.
    well the volcano pit is way better then the campfire no auto marshmallow so i using that and grill and bonfire easy to make a feast for the family but question can we use kava pot.

I'm planning on adding the kava bowl along with some other items added to the pack in the next update to the challenge, but I was planning to allow the use of the kava bowl either throughout the challenge or starting in early civ. The only catch is that it requires counters, which aren't overly stone age friendly.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top