Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like open neighborhoods?

Comments

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Open Neighborhoods sound like the perfect compromise so yes.
    kaylin205 wrote: »
    No, I like going to and from each world and not being stuck in just one.
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Another reason why I don't want an open world is that I like being able to go inside venues with my sims. What is fun about having sims go out to a restaurant and I have to wait outside it? I hated all that rabbit hole rubbish that they had in the Sims 3.

I'm a little confused about how open neighborhoods prevent you from traveling to other worlds?

I wasn't taking about an open world preventing travelling to other worlds. I was talking about when sims traveled to venues within their world such as restaurants, night clubs ect.

We only have the open world of the Sims 3 to compare with when we talk about an open neighborhood/world and the one in Sims 3 had rabbit holes for almost everything and personally I thought it completely sucked having to wait outside while my sim was supposedly doing whatever it was they did in their chosen destination. I know this thread is about open neighborhoods and not worlds but still it's hard not to worry that an open neighborhood would end up with the awful design choices that we've already seen in the open world of the Sims 3.

If they can truly make an open world/neighborhood without it causing constant performance issues and that isn't full of rabbit holes then sure I'll get on board and support it but honestly I don't think they can which is why I think the Sims 4 went back to it's original style of loading screens. I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong though if this ever does happen. ;)
  • DillynJamesDillynJames Posts: 551 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    wrong comment/wrong place hah
    modthesims.info/member.php?u=8889989 320k downloads on ModTheSims; CarlDillynson
  • Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    No
    I thought this was somehow going to have to do with Justine Keaton.
  • Flexono1Flexono1 Posts: 326 Member
    Yes
    I'm gonna say yes
  • shanls96shanls96 Posts: 321 Member
    No
    The idea of open world is cool I suppose and it was a nice change in sims 3 but loading screens quite frankly don’t bother me at all considering open world caused a lot of issues for me personally in Sims 3. I feel Sims 4 is a lot better than Sims 3 because it’s not open world and it doesn’t lag and glitch like sims 3 did for me.

It’s literally a few seconds of waiting during loading screens so tbf it shouldn’t really feel like an issue.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Yes

I wasn't taking about an open world preventing travelling to other worlds. I was talking about when sims traveled to venues within their world such as restaurants, night clubs ect.

That response was for the quote above yours.
    We only have the open world of the Sims 3 to compare with when we talk about an open neighborhood/world and the one in Sims 3 had rabbit holes for almost everything and personally I thought it completely plum having to wait outside while my sim was supposedly doing whatever it was they did in their chosen destination. I know this thread is about open neighborhoods and not worlds but still it's hard not to worry that an open neighborhood would end up with the awful design choices that we've already seen in the open world of the Sims 3.

An open neighborhood would be on a much smaller scale. I can't say how an open world would work on the sims 4 because certain systems they have in place weren't present in The Sims 3 and because of these different factors we can assume that there would be some major changes if it ever came to The Sims 4. We don't have any major rabbit holes for Sims 4 - I don't think they'd turn restaurants ( for example) into a rabbit hole if open neighborhoods were added. So I don't think you need to worry about that. Dine Out would be obsolete if they did.

I'm not a die-hard fan of the 'open' aspects of Sims games, but I do think it has a lot of potential in the way of immersion and QoL. I just don't want people tainted by Sims 3 open worlds to think that the feature itself is inherently bad.

We can have open worlds without:
    • Lag
    • Rabbit Holes
    • Empty Worlds
    • The lack of ability to switch Worlds
    • Bugs

(and whatever other issues people run into with Open Worlds)

It's just up to how the devs design it.

If you don't like open worlds, in general, that's fine. But just because something was "bad" once doesn't mean it'll forever be bad and void of redemption.
    If they can truly make an open world/neighborhood without it causing constant performance issues and that isn't full of rabbit holes then sure I'll get on board and support it but honestly I don't think they can which is why I think the Sims 4 went back to it's original style of loading screens. I'll be happy to admit I'm wrong though if this ever does happen.

Well, there's the theory floating around of Sims 4 starting as an online game, I think that had something to do with them omitting open world, and you may be right - maybe they just couldn't handle it again or didn't want to. We really don't know but I'm willing to give them another shot if - as you said - it's not full of lag and other roadblocks. Let's cross our fingers.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    Yes
    Yes. Small open neighborhoods would be perfect. 3-5 lots and the surrounding common area should be possible to run at once.
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Yes
    Finbar659 wrote: »
    That's basically asking me if I want lag or not?

Perfect idea for a thread. >:)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • monkymn00monkymn00 Posts: 948 Member
    No
    As much as I enjoyed an open world in TS3, it just caused too much lag and too many glitches. I just recently went back to play Island Paradise and it stutters way too much. I have a decent computer now too. TS4 runs far smoother. Now, what I would like is bigger worlds with more lots. There are some worlds that just have so few lots to build on. That's where the worlds in TS3 really shined.
  • meetkitty123meetkitty123 Posts: 524 Member
    Yes
    OMG YES
    I KEEP RETURNING to the sims 3 I love the freedom. I played yesterday I loved watching my sim jump in her space car and visit the library and then a friends house and then back to get a bite to eat and all with no LOAD SCREENS fudge cakes awesome!
    SENIOR POLLINATION TECHNICIAN #3 DOWNLOADS:
    ORIGINAL: https://goo.gl/ux61nn REMODELED: https://goo.gl/pcJwsN
    MY GALLERY ---> https://bit.ly/2N5kp8y <----

a0933d0f-c078-40f1-8aa9-1f6adbbd24d3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • meetkitty123meetkitty123 Posts: 524 Member
    Yes
    Marnetti wrote: »
    No, but if we ever get custom apartments/dorms in the future, I hope it’s like TS2, and there isn’t a loading screen in between each room. That’d be ridiculous.

YES! SIMS 2 had the best APARTMENTS

but I hate load screens so I side with open worlds.
    SENIOR POLLINATION TECHNICIAN #3 DOWNLOADS:
    ORIGINAL: https://goo.gl/ux61nn REMODELED: https://goo.gl/pcJwsN
    MY GALLERY ---> https://bit.ly/2N5kp8y <----

a0933d0f-c078-40f1-8aa9-1f6adbbd24d3-original.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 174 Member
    No
    I’m not really bothered by the closed world, but I want open neighborhoods. I should be able to visit a neighbor or a community lot nearby. I could understand if I was visiting across town, but I shouldn’t need a loading screen to go across the street.
  • MagdaleenaMagdaleena Posts: 973 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    I'd like to visit the neighboring lots without having to sit through loading screens, so yes please. Would be good.

I also kinda discovered that all the furniture is already preloaded anyway; if you go into tab mode and into a house, everything will be there. That is, except for the sims.

Though, if performance is a concern, it would be good to make this an opt-in thing in the settings.

lil_pixel_boys.png
    they/he
    simblr
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yes
    Umm, now that I think about it, until they figure out how to fix simulation lag, I dont think open neighborhood is a good idea at this point.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ldmarkoldmarko Posts: 5,487 Member
    No
    Actually somewhere in between. Much as I loved having them in 3, they made playability a huge issue for many. If they could do it in a way that resolved the lag & freezing on most PCs, then yes I'd take it back. But for now it's something I;m willing to sacrifice for a playable game.
    Gallery ID: LDM2
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    I'm surprised how far Sims can go in Island Living. The area around the lots are getting larger all the time so I forget about changing screens until my Sims decide to go home from where they have swam or yachted and get one. I didn't realise how far they could go in GTW Magnolia Promenade either.
  • sofasimsofasim Posts: 128 Member
    Yes
    I noticed how I often keep my sim at home instead of going out because of the loading screen xD especially when I want my sim to visit their neighbors right next door. Like I only want my sim to stay over for maybe a quick chat or something. Sims time goes faster than ours anyway so I feel like the loading screen takes longer than the actual visit, which it probably doesn't but it keeps reminding me that I'm playing a game and kind of pulls me out of the atmosphere I just build while playing for several minutes.
  • ArzekialArzekial Posts: 665 Member
    Yes
    Very much so, yes. I'd like to see it for Sims 5 if there's ever going to be one.
  • wheelochwheeloch Posts: 23 Member
    Yes
    For some reason I thought that you had specified Sims 5. My vote is no. I don't expect this to change for Sims 4, as they have said as much. I would be disappointed if they didn't expand how open the worlds are in the next game. Technology has changed a lot since TS3 came out, so if it's possible that they are able to well optimize fully open worlds (iirc even some high-end systems had trouble running them in TS3), that would be great. Otherwise, I'd be happy if they used a similar, but fully open, neighborhood system.
  • Prink34320V2Prink34320V2 Posts: 156 Member
    edited July 2019
    Yes
    I would like an open neighborhood for ease of access, but if it affects the ability to have a lot of content condensed into a map, and cause major, game-breaking problems like The Sims 3 had, then no.

I actually hate open world games because for the most part they're just full of aesthetic fluff with travelling that contributes significantly to game time, and usually don't have much content in them so they are actually stable.

Greatly optimized open worlds with plenty of content that isn't just time wasting us amazing, but very few games manage that in my opinion.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    No
    my answer is no for the main reason that it wouls slow down the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • EIisabettaEIisabetta Posts: 5,708 Member
    No
    I had a love/hate relationship with open worlds in TS3. I don't mind the (very) short loading screens if it means venues are populated, etc. The world was open in TS3 but felt really empty without mods. Even 'hot spots' would be devoid of sims after my sim would show up.
    moxiegraphix on Origin
  • BradyGalaxyBradyGalaxy Posts: 306 Member
    No
    While my computer would be able to handle it, I'm pretty sure EA took away open world because most computers out there would lag like no tomorrow. And plus, at this point, I really don't care. I'm fine with loading screens.
    Proud simmer
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    No
    I actually prefer a closed world with very quick loading.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • AllyanabellAllyanabell Posts: 8 New Member
    Yes
    Yes, I miss Sims 3 for this reason.