Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like open neighborhoods?

Comments

• StutumStutum Posts: 1,146 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely, I'd love for my sim to be able to just waltz over to his or her neighbour without the loading screen.
  • storyystoryy Posts: 417 Member
    No
    Overall, open neighborhoods would be awesome. For example, I think the NEXT Sims game, whatever comes after The Sims 4, could likely have open worlds and less loading screens.

For this game though? Nah.

1. I do not mind how the neighborhoods are set up currently, and I am fortunate in that I have a computer that loads the game very quickly so I don't mind the loading screens.
    2. I don't think it'd be possible to implement that into the current engine, as another user stated before me. It wasn't designed that way, we're not going to get it for TS4. And for me that's fine.

I'm excited to see where the franchise goes after TS4 after all the feedback from Simmers. Obviously there's no real date for when it happens, and until then, I'm going to continue happily playing my game 😌
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    No
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    There's a lot to be said for loading screens, as evidenced by the plethora of open world titles with issues ranging from save file bloat to disappearing NPCs.

Sims 4 has those issues too, and it’s a closed world. Next.

While you are obviously very passionate about this issue, and I am no doubt speaking out of turn following my summary dismissal, I should note that I have not experienced either of those issues in The Sims 4. This is quite different than the ever-growing load times and NPCs disappearing into test cells under the terrain that I have experienced in titles like The Sims 3 and TES franchise.

Excellent for you bud! Just pointing out that those issues exist in the game, sorry you don’t notice them but they exist. Culling was a mega problem with Sims 4 so keep pretending that wasn’t a thing and carry on I guess.

You're conflating a deliberate population control design -- culling in this case -- with errors inherent to the open world, ie the displacement of NPCs into inaccessible cells.
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    I would love open neighborhoods if not open world's. But not at the expense of performance. If opening the neighborhood will cause lag then no, I'm good with how it is.
    Post edited by JestTru on
    WbUrFQm.png
  • CorenrenCorenren Posts: 592 Member
    The neighborhoods are pretty open already. Think back to sims 2, when sims couldn't even leave their lot without a loading screen. In sims 4 I have my sims jogging around the neighborhood, having bbq's at the park across the street, fishing in the river by their house. The neighborhoods in this game are huge! I do wish we could visit a home or lot in the neighborhood without loading, but the neighborhoods are already so open and big that an open world is something I can live without.
    2ynjgg8.png
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    No
    No. I like the game just as it is. And Welcome back Colton. I have missed you.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,942 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    Do I want open world?
    - no I hated that in ts3 it was just too much

Do I want open neighborhood?
    - Yes because I want to pester my neighbors without hitting loading screen

actually I think the biggest thing that I find sad about not having open neighborhood is when there is holidays
    so I want to go to trick or treat or something but I can't

most of the time tho i do feel its not that important though
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    Yes
    Yes! Yes...YES! The game just flows nicer without loading screens. It felt really personal <3 Visiting people without loading screens was a very nice touch. And its more immersive. Immersion DOES add to gameplay.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
    Yes
    Can anyone explain why exactly The Sims should be for low end pc's? Of all the video games that are excellent because they have features that require higher system requirements, why exactly should the Sims be an outdated game with outdated features , suited for outdated computers? Where is it written that The Sims *has* to be technologically simplistic or have cartoony graphics that look childish compared to contemporary games?
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    Can anyone explain why exactly The Sims should be for low end pc's? Of all the video games that are excellent because they have features that require higher system requirements, why exactly should the Sims be an outdated game with outdated features , suited for outdated computers? Where is it written that The Sims *has* to be technologically simplistic or have cartoony graphics that look childish compared to contemporary games?

Because EA like making money and they want as many people as possible to be able to play their game. Not everybody can afford to upgrade their PC to a new one every time a new sims game is released. It would mean a loss of customers to the franchise.
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    Sharonia wrote: »

Because EA like making money and they want as many people as possible to be able to play their game and not everybody can afford to upgrade their PC every time a new sims game is released which would mean a loss of customers to the franchise.

Ehh...that argument doesnt actually hold a lot of weight. It can be applied to any other video game. And yet other modern games are a lot more advanced with better graphics and not only do their fan-base keep up accordingly, they embrace that. They want nice graphics and immersive gameplay.

Gaming is not a hobby where you can just play on any old computer and it shouldnt be that way just for the sims either. It's weird.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited June 2019
    No
    Sharonia wrote: »

Because EA like making money and they want as many people as possible to be able to play their game and not everybody can afford to upgrade their PC every time a new sims game is released which would mean a loss of customers to the franchise.

Ehh...that argument doesnt actually hold a lot of weight. It can be applied to any other video game. And yet other modern games are a lot more advanced with better graphics and not only do their fan-base keep up accordingly, they embrace that. They want nice graphics and immersive gameplay.

Gaming is not a hobby where you can game on any old computer and it shouldnt be that way just for the sims either. It's weird.

I stopped playing the sims 3 because it performed like rubbish for me even after I bought a new PC for it. If I'm not playing then I'm also not handing over my cash for any packs or extra content. It's a loss for them when people can't play.
  • Sara1010PSara1010P Posts: 889 Member
    Yes
    While I am not terribly upset with this game not having open world, I loved Sims 2 after all, I would be for open neighborhoods if they could pull it off.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    Yes
    Only the neighborhoods, not the enitire world.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yes
    I mean, why not?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    It's never going to happen now and what I don't think most of you realize (without sounding harsh) is that if they went back to open neighborhoods many players would have issues running it since many players aren't running super powerful hardware, but rather basic laptops that JUST run it ok.

Part of the reason why Sims 3 had the performance issues it had was all the "garbage" that is produced around the world, like abandoned cars, items and random stuff sims would do. NRAA made some great mods to deal with this like turning off tvs and stuff but I just don't think we'd get a game that runs as well as it does.

Open world mechanics for the Sims games don't work like a typical open world game or MMO, sims aren't simply inhabiting space but actually creating in-game content that slows down performance overtime.

Already some people are having frame rate drops in bigger cities in Sims 4 and with more and more expansions releasing...I just don't think the game would run very well if they suddenly added open worlds. I think it would make the game unplayable for a lot of players and their would be a lot of anger.

So yes while I LOOOOOVE the open world of the Sims 3, I think the bigger issue is a majority of people would never be able to run the Sims 4 on PC without reducing their graphics or upgrading. The fact is their is already people complaining that EA is moving to 64bit only and it created a backlash should speak for itself.

I think this is something the community really wants, but I don't think its something the community can actually run.
  • TOLKIENTOLKIEN Posts: 1,594 Member
    edited June 2019
    NOW with that said, I think their are WAYS to approach a better open world with the Sims 4 - for example make commercial zones where you can place 3 commercial lots. So for example a bar, a gym and a spa. In this "commercial zone' you could move between all 3 lots without each needing to be loaded.

The same could happen with residential zoning. The game is already broken up into neighborhoods within neighborhoods, so this zoning already partially exists.

The only problem is by Maxis labelling areas as "commercial or residential zoning' it limits players abilities to place different lot types in different areas. Which in itself would create a few complaints too.

Still it would be one solution I would appreciate, that way you could move between a strip of commercial businesses or houses without loading into each. Or for an example a floor in an apartment complex.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited June 2019
    Yes
    In an way Open Neighborhood, Open World is the same thing with the same characteristics as it was in open world you had no loading screens and it would be in open neighborhoods except Neighborhoods are smaller than Worlds by Sims 3 standards. It is all about the developer tweaking thier product and EA/Maxis track record is horrendous. Some people experienced problems in thier game and some did not and the same goes for Sims 4 which is not immune to having problems an it is problems are listed throughout this forum. As Sims 4 grows and the packs add on so does the computing resources. Also some folks are going to have to upgrade whether they like it or not as some companies are not waiting anymore for those with lower end specs and pushing ahead. Loading screens are so yesterday and show lack of technology Imho. Even though I chose yes, I am now thinking it is too late as this something that should be done in an new version as there might be problems in the current version and sorry knowing EA/Maxis track record on fixing anything, it is better not to add it.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    Yes
    I would love to have open neighbourhoods to open world. Don't get me wrong I loved the open world in TS3 but it took so long to get to point A to point B. Now, I would love to go next door or to the house across the street without any loading screen.
  • mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    No
    I never played TS3 so I don't know what people mean when they say Open World. Could someone explain?
  • RobotBeesRobotBees Posts: 145 Member
    No
    Not if it makes the game super laggy and difficult to play.
  • LizzyMacTownieLizzyMacTownie Posts: 31 Member
    Yes
    > @mebagl15 said:
    > I never played TS3 so I don't know what people mean when they say Open World. Could someone explain?

They mean being able to visit other lots without having to go through the loading screen. It's open in the sense that it's really one big area you're free to roam. In TS3, there were hardly any loading screens, IIRC, but it did make the game slower, which means people with lower end computers had trouble with it.
  • TotallyABrobotTotallyABrobot Posts: 112 Member
    Yes
    Depends on the neighbors, really. If they're straight or not good or evil, loves children or hates children, etc. Just yes or no seems rather rushed.
    Before you ask, please consider how futile the question is.
  • GasolineCreaGasolineCrea Posts: 135 Member
    No
    I think the simulation lag alone would ruin me, really
    So many sorcerers ~
  • mikamika Posts: 1,733 Member
    Yes
    I'll stop caring about open world if they give us story progression though