Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you think of Island Living?

Comments

• netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I love it! I’m going to buy it the day it releases.
    I think it looks a great pack and I love the build/buy stuff as well as the new gameplay, especially the conservationist part and off the grid looks cool. Unfortunately I won’t be able to get it on the day it releases and will need to wait at least a week. The only thing I wished had come with it is the option to have rental lots so it can be used as both a residential and a holiday world.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    The laziness of this pack compared to Island paradise is actually staggering. And now I'm starting to feel less and less happy with sims 4.

Well, I definitely disagree. I find this VERY ambitious, and full of the things I would love to see in such a pack. I don't recall much about Island Paradise, I barely played it because I was bored with Sims 3 at the time and quit shortly after.

I am curious tho: People like you keep talking about laziness, but it seems to me that's just a translation of "I didn't get an exact copy of pack X and I am going to pretend that the features they put in here doesn't exist because they're not the exact same features".

+1
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    I’m fine with it.
    The laziness of this pack compared to Island paradise is actually staggering. And now I'm starting to feel less and less happy with sims 4.

Well, I definitely disagree. I find this VERY ambitious, and full of the things I would love to see in such a pack. I don't recall much about Island Paradise, I barely played it because I was bored with Sims 3 at the time and quit shortly after.

I am curious tho: People like you keep talking about laziness, but it seems to me that's just a translation of "I didn't get an exact copy of pack X and I am going to pretend that the features they put in here doesn't exist because they're not the exact same features".

Not sure why you feel the need to argue with me regarding my opinion. The OP asked what we thought of Sims 4 island living and im answering. It's shallow and lacks a lot of gameplay value. The trailer itself actually is quite underwhelming and doesnt show much gameplay. So right away I was turned off when I watched it , my alarm went off and now that most of what the game offers has been revealed, im not impressed with it.

You like it , I don't like it enough to say a whole lot of good about it. I will still buy it because it has some decent build/buy, but Im not required to worship it . Island Paradise was miles better. Disagree all you want, just dont try to make it into some big blowout @Beardedgeek
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Not sure why you feel the need to argue with me regarding my opinion.

It's more the wording of "lazyness" I react to. It gets thrown around a lot here (the forums not just this thread) but for the life of me I cannot understand what people mean.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
    I’m fine with it.

It's more the wording of "lazyness" I react to. It gets thrown around a lot here (the forums not just this thread) but for the life of me I cannot understand what people mean.

The pack is lazy to me. It's a stripped down, lesser version if the previous Island pack we had. The mermaids are the only feature that was enhanced since the last time they did this theme.
  • loutredorloutredor Posts: 404 Member

The pack is lazy to me. It's a stripped down, lesser version if the previous Island pack we had. The mermaids are the only feature that was enhanced since the last time they did this theme.

They enhanced the cultural aspect of island living too though with sims behaving differently, new traditions, events, ways to cook, the off the grid lot trait etc. And there are definitely new actions you couldn't do before like fishing from a boat, taking a nap on it, the interactions with the waterfall... And of course there is the new conservationist career but I guess we could see that as a replacement for the lifeguard one. To me it still is too confined to the new world for an expansion pack, I would have preferred it expanded more the game as a whole and the new actions were made available in all worlds, but I wouldn't say it is empty.
    I’m fine with it.
    loutredor wrote: »

They enhanced the cultural aspect of island living too though with sims behaving differently, new traditions, events, ways to cook, the off the grid lot trait etc. And there are definitely new actions you couldn't do before like fishing from a boat, taking a nap on it, the interactions with the waterfall... And of course there is the new conservationist career but I guess we could see that as a replacement for the lifeguard one. To me it still is too confined to the new world for an expansion pack, I would have preferred it expanded more the game as a whole and the new actions were made available in all worlds, but I wouldn't say it is empty.

The active lifeguard career in sims 3 was really nice. Would have loved that.
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I like it!
    My time has been more limited lately but I am very happy with this and have been wanting it. I hope to start up my Simming again and this is definitely one that I will add as soon as I get a chance to play it.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • SparklyBeccaSparklyBecca Posts: 106 Member
    Already pre-ordered :D
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 2,567 Member
    edited June 2019

That's what I am thinking. None of the games have ever been exactly the same. Sims 3 base came was missing things as well such as pianos, bars, wedding arches, etc...but nobody seemed to complain about that.

Most of the features people want is what turned me away from Sims 3. I don't like Sims 3 and really have it, I really don't want another version of it.

Anyways I think we do have things here that Island Parades doesn't. Better Mermaids for one. An active volcano, new careers and traits, etc...They even added a real and more cultural feel to it whereas Island Paradise had more of a beach/vacation feel to it but no real culture. lets stop comparing the two games as they aren't meant to be an exact copy.
    I’m fine with it.
    What I think is when you enter a thread, where people are asked to share what they think, don't antagonize them for disliking certain things about a game. I don't owe anyone anything and I dont owe EA or Maxis a certain answer either. I have spent tons of money on Sims 4 and I will absolutely have something critical to say of things I see as lacking features.

And that, to me, shows a very strong lack of understanding about a lot of issues.

1. "Stripped functionality"? Really? I prefer quality over quantity, and most things in Sims 3 were just worse. Not only look-wise, but content wise. I definitely think Sims 4 feels much more alive, in general. Better animations. Better facial impressions. Deeper meaning to the actual interactions.

2. Compare Island Living and Paradise: Not only is the art better, but yes, the culture is thoroughly thought thru, just like in Jungle Adventure. It's not a copy of a country, but it is very close, and quite respectful, to actual IRL cultures. The music, the habits, the look of the Sims, the fashion, the... This can be summarized the same for virtually all the packs. NO, the places are not serious, or realistic... But Windenburg, San Mushuno or these islands are NOT theme park versions of these cultures. Windenburg, beneath all the Sims nonsense with ghosts and evil 8 year olds leading clubs feels like a REAL Germanic city to me. Same with Selvadorada. It feels like a lived in space, with a very thought-thru, fairly respectful and distinct culture. And again, so does City Living. It is by far the best large city ever in a Sims game. Because of how it feels, the "vibe" of it. The people. Sims 3 feels like so incredibly plastic in comparison.

3. It is quite possible that you don't care about those things, or just disagrees. That's fine, but to ME, again, it is quality over quantity. And quality means all the small touches, not "X number of lots" or "I can't go treasure hunting under water".
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Meh.
    My mehness is a bit complicated.

I don't really get into my sims living in paradise.
    I only want them to visit as a getaway from their lives spent in non-paradise and particularly winter weather.
    There is also this game play around polluted beaches and the ocean. I hope my sims don't have to deal with that because I am not interested in cleaning up the beaches and whatever.

And I've read that deep diving is a rabbit hole and so is the lifeguard career.
    Plus my sims lives are still on hold, waiting for University. So, yeah. Meh.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
    CK213 wrote: »
    I don't really get into my sims living in paradise.

Well my evergoing quest is to move my Sims as far away from snow as possible. This is the best bet yet. No winter is Good winter.
  • IyasenuIyasenu Posts: 325 Member
    I like it!
    I won't be getting it the day of release, but I do plan on getting it eventually.

Probably won't wait until it goes on sale, but I'll be able to do that "Build Your Bundle" thing on Origin one last time. (at least until more packs get made)
    I'm also looking forward to that upcoming magic game pack that was mentioned.
  • mcruddmcrudd Posts: 11,696 Member
    It looks super duper AweSim. I have allready pre ordered it :D Happy simming everyone :)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,840 Member
    mcrudd wrote: »
    It looks super duper AweSim. I have allready pre ordered it :D Happy simming everyone :)

Waiting for your updated collections and @Netzspannung's new fashion looks. <3
  • kittymeowkittymeow Posts: 7,338 Member
    But I can't buy it the day it's released because I'm broke. :D will be a long while before I get it.
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    I’m fine with it.
    It looks ok, probably will wait for LGR to do his review before buying as he tends to give out the most honest opinions about the packs.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • HCSauHCSau Posts: 506 Member
    I like it!
    It looks ok, probably will wait for LGR to do his review before buying as he tends to give out the most honest opinions about the packs.

Exactly the review I will be waiting to see, @halloweenchild!
    HSau :)
  • AjaGioAjaGio Posts: 262 Member
    I actually pre-ordered it :) I had the extra money that week and thought what the heck :D I'm excited about all the new stuff and to be able to do water activities again :)
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I rather wait and see playthroughs than buy through blind faith or an trailer looking at EA/Maxis history, no vote.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    They really did a lot of things right with this one, even if you don't like tropical gameplay, there is so much attention to detail and the world is so beautiful that I'm very excited for the first time in the Sims 4 era
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
    I’m fine with it.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    I rather wait and see playthroughs than buy through blind faith or an trailer looking at EA/Maxis history, no vote.

the trailer underwhelmed me and so have the "features" ive read about.