July 19 - Friday Highlight time! Find this week's here!
July 16 - The Sims 4 players, it's patch day! Check what's new for PC/Mac here and for console here.
July 16 - We will be performing a maintenance on The Sims 3 servers today. Details here.

Moana & Island Living: Hints to some secret details?

Comments

  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 30,756 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.

    let's us see Mona came out in 2016 but yet there been talk since at least 2015 (probably earlier) about a Polyesian inspired pack so no i don't think EA "borrowed" any idea from Mona. You might as well be claiming that the Polynesian people (including Hawaiian) "stole" the idea from Mona /s



    Look up "Hawaiian, "Maori" "Tahiti" people
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 735 Member
    This just in, Disney invented an entire culture. There were no polynesian people before them. Everything is a reference to Disney.

    This is honestly how you guys sound like. I know seeing references to things you like is awesome and yay, be excited, but remember pop culture draws inspiration from the real world, it does not invent things in a vacuum.

    Think before you deem an entire culture not important enough to serve as a basis for a pack if Disney hadn't come before.
  • MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 30,756 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.


    Mona was released in 2016 there been a Polynesian inspired-pack since 2015 (probably even before then it takes time) You might as well as claimed the Polynesian people "Stole" the idea from Mona /s look up Hawaiian, Maori, Tahatti, etc people and see how similar they're to Mona and this pack.


    look at this girl:
    7w8JpBS.jpg
  • EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,202 Member
    mika wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    Oh god. Noticing that this pack looks like a carbon copy of that Moana movie is not causing oppression of Polynesian people. You are free to think it has "nothing" do with Moana . But its very obvious that it does. Some of the patterns look right from the movie. It's not polynesian culture thats being critiqued.

    I never said anything about opression. Quit projecting and move along instead of inserting yourself in convos you don't understand.

    No one has to move along anywhere actually. I will "insert" my opinion where I see fit . I understand that you like to argue and try to belittle people on this forum when they disagree with you. That I do understand.
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.

    let's us see Mona came out in 2016 but yet there been talk since at least 2015 (probably earlier) about a Polyesian inspired pack so no i don't think EA "borrowed" any idea from Mona. You might as well be claiming that the Polynesian people (including Hawaiian) "stole" the idea from Mona /s



    Look up "Hawaiian, "Maori" "Tahiti" people

    I NEVER SAID THAT THIS PACK IS BORROWED. I’m honestly done talking about this whole thing. All I said is that this pack was influenced by the movie. The movie probably played part in them picking which culture to choose, because of its popularity. I don’t know if people aren’t understanding me, or if people just get a thrill out of twisting what I say.

  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    This just in, Disney invented an entire culture. There were no polynesian people before them. Everything is a reference to Disney.

    This is honestly how you guys sound like. I know seeing references to things you like is awesome and yay, be excited, but remember pop culture draws inspiration from the real world, it does not invent things in a vacuum.

    Think before you deem an entire culture not important enough to serve as a basis for a pack if Disney hadn't come before.


    Like I said above. The pack was influenced by the movie. The sims team probably picked the Polynesian culture to explore due to the movies popularity. Plus the pack wasn’t being made all the way in 2015. The Caribbean update that we got was the start of the island pack, but they dropped the idea, and gave what they started with for free.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    Please read my PSA, before responding to my posts, because I don’t think I have clearly conveyed the meaning of this post.
  • SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 4,932 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.

    let's us see Mona came out in 2016 but yet there been talk since at least 2015 (probably earlier) about a Polyesian inspired pack so no i don't think EA "borrowed" any idea from Mona. You might as well be claiming that the Polynesian people (including Hawaiian) "stole" the idea from Mona /s



    Look up "Hawaiian, "Maori" "Tahiti" people

    They might not have made the pack because of the movie, that I agree with.

    But that they probably do make references to the movie? Yes, that I believe. Simply because one of the gurus specifically responded to this question that they have many Moana fans.

    So, although this still seems like such an incredibly trivial discussion, I don't know why you guys have to attack the OP as if she was personally disrespecting Polynesian people? It's not exactly a mystery that Sims games like to draw inspiration from more than one source at the time.

    So, did they make the pack because of Moana? Probably not. Did they allude to it? Quite likely so.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 2,563 Member
    SimTrippy wrote: »
    MadameLee wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    mika wrote: »
    That is how the average Polynesian person looks, brown skin and long, thick curls. Has nothing to do with Moana but it's funny that ignorant people who never cared for the culture before will just see any of their cultural aspects and customs as "from Moana" now. Must be annoying for Polynesian folks.

    I think you are being too critical. I understand that this is the culture, and it was tied into Moana, because they are both Polynesian. I posted this to show some familiarity between pop culture and this pack. If you are saying that this pack has nothing to do with Moana, I think you are wrong. Moana is a Disney Princess, and one of the first island princesses. I have seen a detail at a bathroom door that looks like Maui, and Moana. Maybe it’s not, maybe it is. I just think it is sortve interesting of the resemblance of the main character and Moana. They have similar hair, somewhat similar clothes, they both have something to do with the ocean. I doubt the developers just said: “oh let’s make her like this for no apparent reason.” They likely modeled her after Moana for an Easter egg, but not copying her due to copyright. These packs give us the chance to dig into, and experience culture that is different from American culture. I don’t think it’s right for you to come onto my forum, and call me ignorant. This is my point of view, not yours. I shouldn’t have to be berated for believing something, and pointing it out. My post is in no way offensive, as I have not ridiculed the culture, but showed similarities. I posted this to conspire about possible Easter eggs, and hidden gameplay features. No offense was ever purposeful.

    I never said you can't have an opinion, you are entitled to your ignorance and others are allowed to call it out, as I am also entitled to my opinion.

    Listen, honey. This pack was highly influenced by Moana. Moana was a popular movie, and the sims team likely chose to explore Polynesian culture due to its popularity from the movie. I understand what you are saying, but you need to understand what an Easter egg and marketing is. It’s fine for you to have your own opinion, and voice it, but to go to the extent of calling me ignorant... thee audacity.

    let's us see Mona came out in 2016 but yet there been talk since at least 2015 (probably earlier) about a Polyesian inspired pack so no i don't think EA "borrowed" any idea from Mona. You might as well be claiming that the Polynesian people (including Hawaiian) "stole" the idea from Mona /s



    Look up "Hawaiian, "Maori" "Tahiti" people

    They might not have made the pack because of the movie, that I agree with.

    But that they probably do make references to the movie? Yes, that I believe. Simply because one of the gurus specifically responded to this question that they have many Moana fans.

    So, although this still seems like such an incredibly trivial discussion, I don't know why you guys have to attack the OP as if she was personally disrespecting Polynesian people? It's not exactly a mystery that Sims games like to draw inspiration from more than one source at the time.

    So, did they make the pack because of Moana? Probably not. Did they allude to it? Quite likely so.

    This!

    And, holy Hawaiian haberdashery, did they put something in the water around here? The things that people are picking fights about, there's chaos all over the forums, lol.
  • XxAirixXXxAirixX Posts: 1,887 Member
    edited June 14
    Or maybe, just maybe they were working of this pack or planned long before due to the popularity of Island Paradise (which came out long before Moana) and people been requesting it for Sims 4 since launch (we included) and both were inspired by actual cultures?

    Haku leis or what people call flower crowns are not new and part of the culture, so yes, it will be included. Also many have wavy/curly hair so it nice to see more of that (I have naturally wavy/curly hair so yay, finally more choices). Haku leis are more for ceremonies like weddings and cultures all around the world have some short of flower crowns or headdresses often worn during celebrations. I guess nobody can have that now as it is copying, right?

    And honestly, Frozen is way more popular than Moana. But if people want to make Moana inspired sims, cool. I seen Frozen, Little Mermaid and so many other sims. A lot also just prefer to make their own.

    Also the concept of the pack is different from Moana, who was trying to save her people (the Island wasn't full of trash; but the coconuts were rotting and there were no fish due to like a curse from the heart being stolen from Te Fiti by Maui which was the start of people having to move to different islands until they said on one out of fear) and restore the heart, this is more like sims not wanting trashy beaches or many some sims are just slobs and how they act changes things just like in real life...because people keep wanting realism (I am glad for Mermaids and occult sims. Mermaids are not in Moana and the Kakamora are not in this game. The Kakamora are also an mythology from Solomon Islands. So yeah, they got inspiration from cultures and myths. Both the game and movie. So once again, there are bound to be similarities because, you know, cultures and myths exist).
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    XxAirixX wrote: »
    Or maybe, just maybe they were working of this pack or planned long before due to the popularity of Island Paradise (which came out long before Moana) and people been requesting it for Sims 4 since launch (we included) and both were inspired by actual cultures?

    Haku leis or what people call flower crowns are not new and part of the culture, so yes, it will be included. Also many have wavy/curly hair so it nice to see more of that (I have naturally wavy/curly hair so yay, finally more choices). Haku leis are more for ceremonies like weddings and cultures all around the world have some short of flower crowns or headdresses often worn during celebrations. I guess nobody can have that now as it is copying, right?

    And honestly, Frozen is way more popular than Moana. But if people want to make Moana inspired sims, cool. I seen Frozen, Little Mermaid and so many other sims. A lot also just prefer to make their own.

    Also the concept of the pack is different from Moana, who was trying to save her people (the Island wasn't full of trash; but the coconuts were rotting and there were no fish due to like a curse from the heart being stolen from Te Fiti by Maui which was the start of people having to move to different islands until they said on one out of fear) and restore the heart, this is more like sims not wanting trashy beaches or many some sims are just slobs and how they act changes things just like in real life...because people keep wanting realism (I am glad for Mermaids and occult sims. Mermaids are not in Moana and the Kakamora are not in this game. The Kakamora are also an mythology from Solomon Islands. So yeah, they got inspiration from cultures and myths. Both the game and movie. So once again, there are bound to be similarities because, you know, cultures and myths exist).

    The only reason I’m posting this is to hype people up (period) I understand the culture, and etc. I’m just positive the sims team wanted to subliminally reference Moana. Why? Polynesian culture isn’t a extremely known culture, and referencing Moana is being a sense of familiarity to the pack. I’m in no way disrespecting it at all. I’m only addressing this to hype people up. If I knew this post would rile so many people up I wouldn’t have posted it, and I can’t delete it.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    Can we all just stop fighting now, please. this forum started to look at a few similarities which may not have been similar at all idk. Also to conspire wether it could point to some hidden content or other stuff. This was about the hints, and hyping people up. Nothing more. I really don’t want to fight, but if anyone calls me: ignorant, or dense. It is a natural reaction to defend myself. That being said, let’s stop fighting please and either move on or actually conspire about this pack.
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 735 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I’m just positive the sims team wanted to subliminally reference Moana. Why? Polynesian culture isn’t a extremely known culture, and referencing Moana is being a sense of familiarity to the pack. I’m in no way disrespecting it at all.

    How can you say "polynesian culture isn't an extremely known culture" respectfully ? Easy, you simply don't say it at all.
    Especially since you're so wrong.

    Unless you're really 6 years old and Disney is your entire universe.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 2,563 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I’m just positive the sims team wanted to subliminally reference Moana. Why? Polynesian culture isn’t a extremely known culture, and referencing Moana is being a sense of familiarity to the pack. I’m in no way disrespecting it at all.

    How can you say "polynesian culture isn't an extremely known culture" respectfully ? Easy, you simply don't say it at all.
    Especially since you're so wrong.

    Unless you're really 6 years old and Disney is your entire universe.

    I don't think that's quite what they meant. Some people on the forums have trouble expressing themselves well through writing, or English isn't their first language and it helps to give them the benefit of the doubt and look for the overall intent of communication.

    I think what they're trying to say is that it hasn't been "trendy" or previously sought after by the general population to learn about as a culture. It's not something that you frequently hear people talk about in depth and the details and history aren't common knowledge. But when Disney made the Moana film, it kind of shined a little light on Polynesian culture and drew some attention. Some of the devs are Disney fans, so in addition to cultural representation, they added in a little Disney-inspired flair that would be recognised and appreciated by fans of the movie. Remember also that Sims 4's marketed audience is teen girls. It's completely feasible.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I’m just positive the sims team wanted to subliminally reference Moana. Why? Polynesian culture isn’t a extremely known culture, and referencing Moana is being a sense of familiarity to the pack. I’m in no way disrespecting it at all.

    How can you say "polynesian culture isn't an extremely known culture" respectfully ? Easy, you simply don't say it at all.
    Especially since you're so wrong.

    Unless you're really 6 years old and Disney is your entire universe.

    At my school, there is a world cultures class, and it wasn’t a brought up culture. I never really heard of it til my friend told me about her vacation Bora Bora. Then I heard it again from Moana. I’m not saying it’s irrelevant, but not extremely popular like countries involved with war. Not saying war is good, but it’s talked about a lot in history.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    happyopi wrote: »
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I’m just positive the sims team wanted to subliminally reference Moana. Why? Polynesian culture isn’t a extremely known culture, and referencing Moana is being a sense of familiarity to the pack. I’m in no way disrespecting it at all.

    How can you say "polynesian culture isn't an extremely known culture" respectfully ? Easy, you simply don't say it at all.
    Especially since you're so wrong.

    Unless you're really 6 years old and Disney is your entire universe.

    I don't think that's quite what they meant. Some people on the forums have trouble expressing themselves well through writing, or English isn't their first language and it helps to give them the benefit of the doubt and look for the overall intent of communication.

    I think what they're trying to say is that it hasn't been "trendy" or previously sought after by the general population to learn about as a culture. It's not something that you frequently hear people talk about in depth and the details and history aren't common knowledge. But when Disney made the Moana film, it kind of shined a little light on Polynesian culture and drew some attention. Some of the devs are Disney fans, so in addition to cultural representation, they added in a little Disney-inspired flair that would be recognised and appreciated by fans of the movie. Remember also that Sims 4's marketed audience is teen girls. It's completely feasible.

    Yes! Exactly. I’m not good with putting my thoughts into words, but it’s not very publicized from what I’ve seen. Except as a vacation getaway. So yeah idk.

  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 164 Member
    I do see some pop culture references, but not because the Sims team is trying to copy anything. They’ve done that with every generation of the Sims, ranging from Sims, buy mode items, CAS items, etc. I did see the Moana inspo behind the MC walking towards the water, but that’s about the only thing that reminded me of the movie. Not being familiar with a culture is fine, it happens, but let’s not assume that the culture is virtually unknown because of that lack of awareness, or that the Sims team chose to go with a Polynesian themed pack because of a Disney film.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    I do see some pop culture references, but not because the Sims team is trying to copy anything. They’ve done that with every generation of the Sims, ranging from Sims, buy mode items, CAS items, etc. I did see the Moana inspo behind the MC walking towards the water, but that’s about the only thing that reminded me of the movie. Not being familiar with a culture is fine, it happens, but let’s not assume that the culture is virtually unknown because of that lack of awareness, or that the Sims team chose to go with a Polynesian themed pack because of a Disney film.

    I’m not saying it’s virtually unknown, or maybe I am. It’s not my intention. Im just saying it isn’t recognized enough, and it hasn’t been involved in any wars to make it into the parts we actually read in history. The walking to the water, and the color scheme the character is wearing reminds me of Moana. Plus the way the hair was styled to the left. I’m not saying the sims copied, but I think they did want to incorporate Moana to give us a feel of familiarity to this pack, and reference it for Disney fans. Besides that everything is polynesian culture period.

  • TheMagnoliaTheMagnolia Posts: 164 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I do see some pop culture references, but not because the Sims team is trying to copy anything. They’ve done that with every generation of the Sims, ranging from Sims, buy mode items, CAS items, etc. I did see the Moana inspo behind the MC walking towards the water, but that’s about the only thing that reminded me of the movie. Not being familiar with a culture is fine, it happens, but let’s not assume that the culture is virtually unknown because of that lack of awareness, or that the Sims team chose to go with a Polynesian themed pack because of a Disney film.

    I’m not saying it’s virtually unknown, or maybe I am. It’s not my intention. Im just saying it isn’t recognized enough, and it hasn’t been involved in any wars to make it into the parts we actually read in history. The walking to the water, and the color scheme the character is wearing reminds me of Moana. Plus the way the hair was styled to the left. I’m not saying the sims copied, but I think they did want to incorporate Moana to give us a feel of familiarity to this pack, and reference it for Disney fans. Besides that everything is polynesian culture period.

    This isn’t me being combative, so please don’t think I’m attacking you, but that’s definitely how it came across. Do you know about Hawaii? Tahiti? Bora Bora? New Zealand? Easter Island and it’s heads? Those are but a few places considered a part of Polynesia and they’re pretty well-known/famous. I don’t see it with the hair, it really just looks like a sideswept ponytail to me. My copying comment wasn’t in reference to what you said, someone else in the thread mentioned it.

  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 3,293 Member
    Well, we know now that the next game pack will be Realm of Magic, but they may not have known they would disclose this before the Island living pack came out, so it could have been a hint for the new pack.
  • Jasper7702Jasper7702 Posts: 288 Member
    Jasper7702 wrote: »
    I do see some pop culture references, but not because the Sims team is trying to copy anything. They’ve done that with every generation of the Sims, ranging from Sims, buy mode items, CAS items, etc. I did see the Moana inspo behind the MC walking towards the water, but that’s about the only thing that reminded me of the movie. Not being familiar with a culture is fine, it happens, but let’s not assume that the culture is virtually unknown because of that lack of awareness, or that the Sims team chose to go with a Polynesian themed pack because of a Disney film.

    I’m not saying it’s virtually unknown, or maybe I am. It’s not my intention. Im just saying it isn’t recognized enough, and it hasn’t been involved in any wars to make it into the parts we actually read in history. The walking to the water, and the color scheme the character is wearing reminds me of Moana. Plus the way the hair was styled to the left. I’m not saying the sims copied, but I think they did want to incorporate Moana to give us a feel of familiarity to this pack, and reference it for Disney fans. Besides that everything is polynesian culture period.

    This isn’t me being combative, so please don’t think I’m attacking you, but that’s definitely how it came across. Do you know about Hawaii? Tahiti? Bora Bora? New Zealand? Easter Island and it’s heads? Those are but a few places considered a part of Polynesia and they’re pretty well-known/famous. I don’t see it with the hair, it really just looks like a sideswept ponytail to me. My copying comment wasn’t in reference to what you said, someone else in the thread mentioned it.

    I do know the islands, but not the culture. Didn’t even know they were polynesian, so I’m kinda shook for not knowing that. And that hair is a bit of a stretch, so I get it.
  • EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 1,580 EA Moderator
    Alright cool it off in here there's far too much arguing going on which isn't necessary
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 146 Member
    don;t fight or you will cause the thread too be locked
  • ddd994ddd994 Posts: 70 Member
    Hmm maybe similar to when the future pack came out for the sims 3, I remember thinking they must have been inspired by hunger games especially with the CAS stuff..? I think they are defo influenced by current pop culture with some stuff they release. Strangerville? Wasn’t there a ton of comparisons to the tv show stranger things?
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top