Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 is very laggy and slow

Hello
I recently started playing ts3 after a long time not playing.
I have *all* the EPs and the SPs, and i do not have cc at all, only mc mod.
The problem is that my game is quite laggy and sometimes my sims stuck while doing stuff, or while walking etc.
CAS is extremely slow, and it takes ages to make a sim and choose the clothes etc. I downloaded the mc mod in order to help this problem to disappear, by showing the CAS in compact mod but it didn't help.
I think my computer (laptop) has the right requirements - 8 gb of RAM, a lot of free space, and it is a good laptop.
I don't know what to do about this problem and i would like you to help me if you can! cause I'm really frustrated!
Thanks..

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    I had the same problem and I think it was just because I was playing on a laptop (a mac) that wasn't powerful enough to run the game properly. Then even when I got a new mac with a 8gb ram it was much better but it still lagged and crashed. And I just had the base game, Pets and Seasons !
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited April 2019
    @Shira3000 - Can we get the rest of the specs on your current laptop? That would be processor and video card. Even better would be the complete picture by way of a dxdiag report, it's possible something is off-kilter there that needs to be adjusted even if it is already deemed strong enough to carry the entire game.

How to run one - https://help.ea.com/en-us/help/pc/how-to-gather-dxdiag-information
    Where to send the report - Up to Pastebin if you could, the free version is fine, and provide a link.

The above assumes Windows, if you are on a Mac we need to have a different discussion.

Also please, which world(s) are you playing in and does starting a new game in a gentle to play world (Sunset Valley, Riverview, Twinbrook) make any difference to its performance, even just as a test?

As you are already an NRaas mod user, I will mention the other mods in our collection known to improve game performance should you wish to try them out -- Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic, Traveler if any kind of world travel is ever to be involved, to an extent GoHere, and MasterController (which you already have) for an occasional MC > Reset Everything run from City Hall on ongoing game saves.

@Dianesims - The Mac version of the game is more crippled than its Windows counterpart as it can address no more than 2 GB of RAM on any system no matter how much it has, whereas ever since an early patch Windows can work with almost twice that. Pets and Seasons are the two heaviest hitting of the 11 EPs, they killed the game (my ongoing ones, new games were still okay up to a point and for a while though this was with around five other EPs at the time) on my Mac as well many years ago before I bootcamped and switched over to the Windows version which still runs fine today. I'm still playing the game I started in 2011 on Windows side, copied over from a point before where things began to fall apart, with all EPs now.

There are some techniques we can use on the Mac version to keep the game's RAM usage under 2 GB, but they don't always help as much as we would like on long-running ongoing games with the heavier EPs in play, and especially those two.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Ker12Ker12 Posts: 4 New Member
    Hello, I have a similar problem. It's a little bit different but since I can't create threads by myself yet, I hope somebody can help me in this thread too.

Around 2 weeks ago I bought Sims 3 pets and it worked fine, without any lags or problems. I used mods and cc from the beginning on. So, a few days ago, I got the endless household loading screen. I've tried some things (mods folder on desktop, deleting saved family backup file, reinstalling the whole game, clearing cache folder) but nothing worked. Yesterday, I was able to get into create a household after an hour waiting, but the game was extremely laggy and slow and froze for a few minutes whenever I clicked on something. Today, the game worked fine one time. It didn't lagged or anything. But then I closed the game for a while and as I started it again, the problems came back. It gets stuck at the beginning of the household loading. There is a mod that I thought that it maybe caused the problems. I deleted it a few times but it always came back into the mods folder. Today, I was able to delete it completely, but it isn't the problem. I use a windows 10 laptop.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Ker12 - I'm going to ask if you could please post on this thread instead. Your issues are, as you said, not likely related to the ones of the player who started this thread. I'm especially interested in hearing about how mods (package based files in Mods\Packages) get deleted and then come back by themselves (?) as that just doesn't happen normally and suspect you have a user game folder that OneDrive or something equivalent is trying to manage, which should not be happening either.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net