Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Pack Idea - Basic Education

All Sims are not the same! Discover your talents, overcome your weakness, educate or be educated with The Sims 4 Basic Education Expansion Pack!
Follow your Sims to schools, choose how your Sim behave at school, and become either a class clown or the teacher's pet. Discover your born talent and weakness, develop new talents and overcome weakness through education. Build your school, step on the platform, bond with the local youths, and guide them or ruin their future as an educator. Take part in all sorts of after school activities in the new family friendly neighborhood, and further influence your Sims' kids' lives!

Main Features:
  • Go to School. Follow your kids and teens to school, learn necessary skills, and make new friends of their life. If your Sims' kid longs for a bright future, they better bond with teachers, get educational advice and even ask for a recommendation to university or careers. Break the school rules, get detentions and challenge the authorities if they seek fun. Participate in activities like ballet or karate. It's your choice how your Sims' kids behave at school! You reap what you sow, do not regret it when your kids grew up into a demon!
  • Discover Talents and Weaknesses. Each Sims is distinct from each other with the new talent system. Sims will be born with one or multiple weaknesses and one, multiple or NONE talents. Talents help with relationships, specific skill building and career advancements. While weakness make Sims fear of things, slow at skill building and fail at relationships. Talents and weaknesses are hidden before a Sim grows up into a young adult. Don't worry! Get counselling at school and discover them! Make use of talents, or simply waste them by slacking off; Overcome weaknesses, or just let it be.
  • Be an Educator. Step on the platform, prepare for classes, communicate with students and get scolded by the headmaster with the all new Teacher active career. Start out as an assistant who check students' homework, do chores and suffer all kinds of pranks. Climb up the career ranks by teaching specific topics, counselling students with the new counselling skill, and guide each youth to a bright future. Well, perhaps no one will know if you lie to the youths and ruin their future. After all the suffering, when you become a respected teacher, propose revolutionary changes to the headmaster, influence the school rules and classes to be taught and school activities to provide.
  • Build a Private School. Tired of the dull public school? Build one yourself in the new family friendly neighborhood. Set the school rules and class schedule, hire your desired teachers and choose the requirements for the students. Build a privileged school for the rich teens and provide them with advanced recommendations, or establish a horrible kindergarten and turn the neighbors' toddlers into future criminals, and even a school for the elders to get a late education degree. Equip the school with after school activities, the future of the neighborhood is at your mercy! Other families are also able to transfer their kids to a private school!

In-depth explanations for some of the features.
  1. First of all, I'm tired that every Sim can become a charismatic person who never fail at socializing or a model parent who got his parenting skills to Level 10 by simply feeding the baby. The weakness and talent system changes that. Sims are not all able to advance in every skills or careers. This provide diversity in my game, so I came up with this system. I then also thought that weakness can be a lot more than skills and careers, so maybe weaknesses like 'Fear of Dogs' 'Fear of Fire' might also be interesting.
  2. Secondly, there are already enough ways for our Sims to get a boost in careers, and I'm pretty sure University will also help with that. Basic education should make sense instead of just follow them to school. No, that's pointless in terms of game play, and will be total useless since University provide enough simulation for simple education. So what if basic education can further develop a talent or help overcome weaknesses? This provides grade schools and high schools a purpose.
  3. Thirdly, the teacher career. Parenting skill makes parents able to influence their kids, what should a teacher be able to do other than teach classes? They should be able to guide the youths, and there comes the counselling skill. Counselling skill helps an adult to discover a youth's talent and weaknesses, and can guide them out of fears, influence them to build talent and overcome weaknesses. It also helps with manipulating others' emotions.
  4. Fourthly, I hate that Get to Work failed to provide a sense of career advancement except for Scientist career (where you can order Co-Workers). So I want a teacher to have more power at school. Thus I came up with the idea of class schedule and school rules. There should be a premade public school in the pack and the teacher can influence how the school works.
  5. Last but not the least, after all the ideas about school rules, class schedule and activities, it just become natural that those customization to be made accessible for players and let players build private schools (or even kindergartens). School rules will function like the club activities, but in much smaller varieties. Class schedule decide what skills kids in the school will develop. School requirements make the old 'befriend the headmaster and get enrolled in a private school' possible.

Minor features/objects that might suit the pack
  • Well, bunk-beds of course.
  • Ballet.
  • Kids' Cooking Appliances.
  • Xylophone, for toddlers.
  • Karate.
  • Seesaws.
  • Play Hide-and-Seek.
  • Toddler Coloring Book.
  • Rope-Jumping.
  • Prom.
  • A Freelance Counselor Career?
  • Fishing Toy for Tots and Kids.
  • Blowing Whistle.
  • Stage Fright as a weakness sounds interesting.

Features that Might Work Alone Well with Other Packs
  • The ability to build a vampire-only school, or magic school that teach corresponding subjects.
  • Talents that help with running a business, like more sales pitch.
  • Recommendations for university that grant benefits in Uni.
  • Talents that influence character values and public image.
  • The ability to build a board school with Uni's dormitory system.

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I’m probably in the minority here but I have no interest in following my kids to school.
  • RexZhengRexZheng Posts: 201 Member
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I’m probably in the minority here but I have no interest in following my kids to school.

Actually I don't think that's the case, I know plenty of Simmers who have no interest in raising kids and stuffs.
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I have no interest in following my kids/teens to school and I don't think they are going to revamp the school system they have in place.

It is possible that they might add some type of at home schooling.
  • annaliese39annaliese39 Posts: 2,797 Member
    I'm not particularly interested in following child sims to school, but I have to admit your ideas sound really great. I particularly love the talent/weakness idea as I have to agree it would help sims feel more distinctive. I hate how sims gain skills that don't fit with their characters, particularly charismatic which increases just through casual conversation. I actually cheat their skill levels down sometimes to avoid this. I could see something like it being added to CAS too. I've been wanting a fear emotion for a while now as well and would love the option of fears/phobias. I would also love a teaching career and more activities for my younger sims, esp. prom, ballet, karate and recorder/xylophones.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    edited April 2019
    This would be totally lit. :) It just kind of sucks that this would probably never happen since people would rather a school pack that only focuses on the most over utilized life stage instead of something for everyone :/
  • meowcatmeowkittymeowcatmeowkitty Posts: 85 Member
    For the following the sims to school thing, I think EA would need to be careful not to make it just staring at your sim sitting at a desk all day. Yeah, things might be more fun if you're controlling a more unruly student, but not everyone is an unruly student. If they found a way to make it compelling even if your sim is behaving properly (things like answering the teacher's questions, asking your own questions, raising your hand to comment on the class, etc.), I would like following the sims to school. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would.

Having a lot of interactions would certainly help. Maybe one sim spends the whole time doodling while another is passing notes, or someone spends the time daydreaming (raises fun while decreasing any gains from the class, maybe?).

The strengths and weaknesses thing is a cool idea and I'd love to have more ways of distinguishing sims. One concern I have about that is I feel there should be a way to customize those (probably through cheats). If you create a sim specifically to be good at a certain skill, it's going to be really annoying if they randomly get that as a weakness and possibly ruin the story you're trying to tell. If I were to make a sim meant to represent a certain person (fictional, historical, real, myself, etc.), I would want their strengths and weaknesses to be close to their counterpart's. It would be really annoying if a sim meant to represent a socially awkward person got charisma as a strength, or a sim based on a pyromancer
    character got a fear of fire.

Perhaps it could be that CAS-made sims don't get any talents or weaknesses, but I would still like a cheat to give them talents and weaknesses if I see fit.

"Talents that influence character values and public image."

That would be really cool. There should be corresponding weaknesses for those too. Maybe for the custom schools, also classes that focus on building those things? You could have a school that focuses more on character values or reputation than skills (and, of course, have a school that impacts them negatively deliberately).

Getting skills or other benefits and discovering talents and weaknesses from school are neat. I feel like adding an extra layer of rewards for schools would be neat. Maybe sims who do really well in school get a reward trait while those who do really poorly get a detrimental trait. And then for the private schools, you can choose from a list of potential reward traits (you can only pick one) and detriment traits (once again, only one) for that particular private school. Perhaps your reward trait choices are limited by what types of classes you chose (sims with As aren't likely to become athletes because of school in a school with no gym class).
    I build stuff and I'm always open for constructive criticism, so feel free to do that
  • Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    I wouldn't wat to follow kids and teens to the school but I would like more assignments for school like kids can collect a certain amount of bugs or plants for an assignment I like on my first pet they can do research on the house pet read a book do a book report.
    Teens should do term paper work on scholarship to graduate and go to an University have study groups with other teens get a job tutoring the kids.
  • Dreamie209Dreamie209 Posts: 3,165 Member
    I honestly would love something like this compared to the 'drunken college party' theme. What I was thinking of though was if it were possible to create scripts of the school scenario in lot traits. Like a daycare, elementary, highschool, college lot traits and giving them to the respective created buildings. I'd really enjoy something like that.

I absolutely loved the School mod and I think one way they could really make it interesting is giving us the ability to create our own school buildings.
    tumblr_p0kj4y5zKY1rz1zglo1_1280.png
    Fun Times, Cherished Memories, All under one Dream. Visit: The Dreamhouse and AbbyDreams
  • aprilroseaprilrose Posts: 1,832 Member
    RexZheng wrote: »
    All Sims are not the same! Discover your talents, overcome your weakness, educate or be educated with The Sims 4 Basic Education Expansion Pack!
    Follow your Sims to schools, choose how your Sim behave at school, and become either a class clown or the teacher's pet. Discover your born talent and weakness, develop new talents and overcome weakness through education. Build your school, step on the platform, bond with the local youths, and guide them or ruin their future as an educator. Take part in all sorts of after school activities in the new family friendly neighborhood, and further influence your Sims' kids' lives!

Main Features:
    • Go to School. Follow your kids and teens to school, learn necessary skills, and make new friends of their life. If your Sims' kid longs for a bright future, they better bond with teachers, get educational advice and even ask for a recommendation to university or careers. Break the school rules, get detentions and challenge the authorities if they seek fun. Participate in activities like ballet or karate. It's your choice how your Sims' kids behave at school! You reap what you sow, do not regret it when your kids grew up into a demon!
    • Discover Talents and Weaknesses. Each Sims is distinct from each other with the new talent system. Sims will be born with one or multiple weaknesses and one, multiple or NONE talents. Talents help with relationships, specific skill building and career advancements. While weakness make Sims fear of things, slow at skill building and fail at relationships. Talents and weaknesses are hidden before a Sim grows up into a young adult. Don't worry! Get counselling at school and discover them! Make use of talents, or simply waste them by slacking off; Overcome weaknesses, or just let it be.
    • Be an Educator. Step on the platform, prepare for classes, communicate with students and get scolded by the headmaster with the all new Teacher active career. Start out as an assistant who check students' homework, do chores and suffer all kinds of pranks. Climb up the career ranks by teaching specific topics, counselling students with the new counselling skill, and guide each youth to a bright future. Well, perhaps no one will know if you lie to the youths and ruin their future. After all the suffering, when you become a respected teacher, propose revolutionary changes to the headmaster, influence the school rules and classes to be taught and school activities to provide.
    • Build a Private School. Tired of the dull public school? Build one yourself in the new family friendly neighborhood. Set the school rules and class schedule, hire your desired teachers and choose the requirements for the students. Build a privileged school for the rich teens and provide them with advanced recommendations, or establish a horrible kindergarten and turn the neighbors' toddlers into future criminals, and even a school for the elders to get a late education degree. Equip the school with after school activities, the future of the neighborhood is at your mercy! Other families are also able to transfer their kids to a private school!

In-depth explanations for some of the features.
    1. First of all, I'm tired that every Sim can become a charismatic person who never fail at socializing or a model parent who got his parenting skills to Level 10 by simply feeding the baby. The weakness and talent system changes that. Sims are not all able to advance in every skills or careers. This provide diversity in my game, so I came up with this system. I then also thought that weakness can be a lot more than skills and careers, so maybe weaknesses like 'Fear of Dogs' 'Fear of Fire' might also be interesting.
    2. Secondly, there are already enough ways for our Sims to get a boost in careers, and I'm pretty sure University will also help with that. Basic education should make sense instead of just follow them to school. No, that's pointless in terms of game play, and will be total useless since University provide enough simulation for simple education. So what if basic education can further develop a talent or help overcome weaknesses? This provides grade schools and high schools a purpose.
    3. Thirdly, the teacher career. Parenting skill makes parents able to influence their kids, what should a teacher be able to do other than teach classes? They should be able to guide the youths, and there comes the counselling skill. Counselling skill helps an adult to discover a youth's talent and weaknesses, and can guide them out of fears, influence them to build talent and overcome weaknesses. It also helps with manipulating others' emotions.
    4. Fourthly, I hate that Get to Work failed to provide a sense of career advancement except for Scientist career (where you can order Co-Workers). So I want a teacher to have more power at school. Thus I came up with the idea of class schedule and school rules. There should be a premade public school in the pack and the teacher can influence how the school works.
    5. Last but not the least, after all the ideas about school rules, class schedule and activities, it just become natural that those customization to be made accessible for players and let players build private schools (or even kindergartens). School rules will function like the club activities, but in much smaller varieties. Class schedule decide what skills kids in the school will develop. School requirements make the old 'befriend the headmaster and get enrolled in a private school' possible.

Minor features/objects that might suit the pack
    • Well, bunk-beds of course.
    • Ballet.
    • Kids' Cooking Appliances.
    • Xylophone, for toddlers.
    • Karate.
    • Seesaws.
    • Play Hide-and-Seek.
    • Toddler Coloring Book.
    • Rope-Jumping.
    • Prom.
    • A Freelance Counselor Career?
    • Fishing Toy for Tots and Kids.
    • Blowing Whistle.
    • Stage Fright as a weakness sounds interesting.

Features that Might Work Alone Well with Other Packs
    • The ability to build a vampire-only school, or magic school that teach corresponding subjects.
    • Talents that help with running a business, like more sales pitch.
    • Recommendations for university that grant benefits in Uni.
    • Talents that influence character values and public image.
    • The ability to build a board school with Uni's dormitory system.

Sounds like something I'd definitely be excited about.
    Simming for 19 years!
    Family Tree
    Playing Mod & CC Free

• siminettesiminette Posts: 160 Member
    I too, I'm not interested in following child sims to school but I do like an improve school system. Like private school. I would like those school to be expensive, have to buy the uniform and of course a school policy about hair lenght for example. After-school activities, free with the school and not free like basket ball or piano lesson.
  • Not_MykieNot_Mykie Posts: 2 New Member
    I think a homeschool would be pretty great too, and a career path to be a teacher would be a great idea!
  • KitelDesignsKitelDesigns Posts: 147 Member
    I like these ideas especially weaknesses and talents