Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do they really ‘listen’?

Comments

• Options
    wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »
    The new survey is the exact same as the previous ones. How many times did we fill it out now - Three, four times? It's hard to believe they listen to us when they have to keep asking the same questions. The survey is only one example which feels like they try to keep us busy. I thought the surveys were precisely for the reason to understand the fanbase, but the questions are literally repetitive and not really going into any kind of depth or detail about what fans could want.

They're obviously trying to get answers from different fans, not just you over and over again.

How is that obvious? They release a survey each month, so I would expect them to use different questions. If it was the same survey then why re-release it and make it available for everyone every month? They could simply remind everyone on the log-in screen or the banners here.
    I tried to find the first time they mentioned they'll release these monthly surveys to figure out what their exact words were, but unfortunately Kate has deleted all her tweets and the thread on the forum has been deleted.
  • Options
    logionlogion Posts: 4,719 Member
    edited June 2019
    LiELF wrote: »
    The new survey is the exact same as the previous ones. How many times did we fill it out now - Three, four times? It's hard to believe they listen to us when they have to keep asking the same questions. The survey is only one example which feels like they try to keep us busy. I thought the surveys were precisely for the reason to understand the fanbase, but the questions are literally repetitive and not really going into any kind of depth or detail about what fans could want.

They're obviously trying to get answers from different fans, not just you over and over again.

I agree. I think they're interested in the feedback from all of the new players who got the base game for free.

I can't help but wonder if this is an experiment for the future. Now that they are fully live service, they could be considering a low priced, bare-bones base game for Sims 5, even a free-to-play model, like a lot of MMO companies do, and set up for a lot more microtransactions for DLC, like the Sims 3 did with the store. More people would get drawn into trying out the game if it were free, but compelled to purchase DLC because there would be nothing in it.

I could be way off into conspiracy land (lol) but I don't trust EA's "marketing" strategies and experiments.

I think they have learned a lot from trying the live service model with some of their other franchises what works and what doesn't. Part of me is hoping that they are moving away from the live-service model, if there are trouble in development, like there was for example with Battlefield 1 or Anthem, then the live-service model does not work at all, you get an incomplete game at launch and the live-service has content that was missing from the release version. I hope that they will make the sims5 into a full game, still update it with content but release it as a complete and stable game at release and keep the sims mobile as the free-to-play version.

• Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    (I'm not an English speaker, sorry for my mistakes).

I do understand You, mate. The problem is that people wants many, many different things, but we got TS1, 2 and 3 and I expecting good stuff from the past, for example university and especially Attraction system. I know that TS4 is a new game, but I miss chemistry from part 2, when you could make a good, loving couple. I like Get famous expansion, because of nice reputation system, this works good in social aspect of the game... I don't like laundry stuff and I do not wait for farms, because for me it's boring. The Stargerville is nice, but for a moment, now it's boring.

There is a huge problem with TS4 - it's boring and empty. Still we have only 3 slots for traits, the traits are not very interesting, we do not have favorite color, dish, zodiac signs (I dare to say, that TS2 CAS were more interesting). The Sims are unpredictable in the bad way (unexpected flirts with random Sims for no good reason, just like that! In TS2 I know exactly why my Sim is enticing for another). I can live without spiral stairs, burglars et cetera but pretty please, give us more complicated, interesting Sims as a characters! :(

Sorry for my complaining.
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Aericia wrote: »
    (I'm not an English speaker, sorry for my mistakes).

I do understand You, mate. The problem is that people wants many, many different things, but we got TS1, 2 and 3 and I expecting good stuff from the past, for example university and especially Attraction system. I know that TS4 is a new game, but I miss chemistry from part 2, when you could make a good, loving couple. I like Get famous expansion, because of nice reputation system, this works good in social aspect of the game... I don't like laundry stuff and I do not wait for farms, because for me it's boring. The Stargerville is nice, but for a moment, now it's boring.

There is a huge problem with TS4 - it's boring and empty. Still we have only 3 slots for traits, the traits are not very interesting, we do not have favorite color, dish, zodiac signs (I dare to say, that TS2 CAS were more interesting). The Sims are unpredictable in the bad way (unexpected flirts with random Sims for no good reason, just like that! In TS2 I know exactly why my Sim is enticing for another). I can live without spiral stairs, burglars et cetera but pretty please, give us more complicated, interesting Sims as a characters! :(

Sorry for my complaining.

You're not alone! Believe!
  • Options
    Jordan061102Jordan061102 Posts: 3,918 Member
    I think they are doing both. Listennig us while listenning to EA.
    Lu4ERme.gif
  • Options
    EnjoyfulSimmerEnjoyfulSimmer Posts: 1,242 Member
    agustd wrote: »
    They do a very good job at pretending they listen, that's for sure.

I dont think they do actually :|
    "Let Our Hearts And Hands Be Streched Out In Compassion Toward Others."
  • Options
    AshtontoAshton22AshtontoAshton22 Posts: 1,797 Member
    I feel like they listen with only one ear or half an ear or not at all.
  • Options
    nightowl1nightowl1 Posts: 89 Member
    They can't hear you over the sound of money in people's wallets. Kaching-kaching!
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    nightowl1 wrote: »
    They can't hear you over the sound of money in people's wallets. Kaching-kaching!

9F2ncNe.png
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    AericiaAericia Posts: 110 Member
    edited June 2019
    Shame, when you realized, that people, who made mods for free and for fun, sometimes do better job than the producers. When I started playing TS4 I thought, that maybe they could not to add some stuff from the past because of technical problems, but then I downloaded some free modifications, especially one mod with improved woo-hoo (I speak about You Know Who), and I saw very good job, new traits and emotions and it works fine, sometimes even better than official resolutions. Shame. :(
    Btw, this man working on attraction system, I hope that it might be atomic bomb. Without mods for now this game is empty, boring, repetitive and too easy.

This whims system is awful! When you have big family from CAS, the Sims focusing on one random Sim from this family and all of them always want to speak, play or watch the stars with this one Sim, even if they are not friends or something and have better relations with other household members. And those wishes... OMG, my favorite is "buy the lamp pool". /facepalm
    Post edited by Aericia on
    Origin ID: ukyojin
    Unofficial Polish Forum - simtopia.pl
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    Shame, when you realized, that people, who made mods for free and for fun, sometimes do better job than the producers. When I started playing TS4 I thought, that maybe they could add some stuff from the past because of technical problems, but then I downloaded some free modifications, especially one mod with improved woo-hoo (I speak about You Know Who), and I saw very good job, new traits and emotions and it works fine, sometimes even better than official resolutions. Shame. :(
    Btw, this man working on attraction system, I hope that it might be atomic bomb. Without mods for now this game is empty, boring, repetitive and too easy.

This whims system is awful! When you have big family from CAS, the Sims focusing on one random Sim from this family and all of them always want to speak, play or watch the stars with this one Sim, even if they are not friends or something and have better relations with other household members. And those wishes... OMG, my favorite is "buy the lamp pool". /facepalm

Modders craft their creations out of passion, the developers do not share that passion for the game.
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Shame, when you realized, that people, who made mods for free and for fun, sometimes do better job than the producers. When I started playing TS4 I thought, that maybe they could add some stuff from the past because of technical problems, but then I downloaded some free modifications, especially one mod with improved woo-hoo (I speak about You Know Who), and I saw very good job, new traits and emotions and it works fine, sometimes even better than official resolutions. Shame. :(

Modders craft their creations out of passion, the developers do not share that passion for the game.

That's why I'm hoping Rod Humble and Paradox Tectonic will create their own The Sims version. He did a great job with both TS2 and TS3. Both were amazing and you can tell a lot of love and great ideas where put in both.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

That's why I'm hoping Rod Humble and Paradox Tectonic will create their own The Sims version. He did a great job with both TS2 and TS3. Both were amazing and you can tell a lot of love and great ideas where put in both.

Mr Humble made a lot of good choices and a lot of bad choices during his tenure running the EA Play label. I don’t know if I would bank on him bringing the life sim genre to Paradox.

He was there for Sims 3, but also Medieval, MySims, SimAnimals, Sims Social, Sims Freeplay, etc. I don’t believe he was involved with Sims 2 until it was well into developing expansions, and even then his focus was more on Sims 3.

I just don’t think his role was integral in what made those games great. I think in general they had a better mix of staff and a more passionate team making those games.
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    After reading a bunch of these comments the only conclusion I've come to is 1. yes, they appear to listen, and 2. everyone has a theory as to how they do it. I truly believe they listen, but after coming so far into development of a game targetted towards teen girls, it would be hard at this point to change the direction of the game to please core audiences. Packs and the content included would seem to stand out and not fit in with the environments and themes already present/established in the game. I believe they would have to make a completely new game to have a more balanced set of features/themes targetted towards core players AND teen girls, perhaps even adult MEN.

I'm just going to mention, I adore the Sims 4, I'm in the boat of people who believes the game has more depth overall comparing it to its previous titles, but that's just my personal view on the game, the features the Sims 4 offers are more versatile and complete for the way I like to play my game, but with that being said I do understand a lot of peoples frustrations with the game. I've been playing Sims 3 a lot lately and I must say I dearly miss some of the features that game has, CASt, editable worlds, big worlds, open worlds, transportation, building tools, and so on. Sims 3 really is just a big open game with a whole lot to do and explore, I feel like Sims 4 is quite a big game at this point too, but the design of the game I admit can make the game play feel limiting in some areas, although the same can be said when I play Sims 3, some features are simply better in 4 and then feel limiting when I play 3.

I'm quite optimistic for a Sims 5 if one were to ever be made. One thing I can say for certain about Sims 4, is that it was an excellent learning experience for the team, and it's going to continue to be a learning tool for the team until they cease development. With that being said, I believe they will apply a lot of what they have learned when/if they make the Sims 5, a perfectly balanced sims game with features that will satisify all player types. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

Mr Humble made a lot of good choices and a lot of bad choices during his tenure running the EA Play label. I don’t know if I would bank on him bringing the life sim genre to Paradox.

He was there for Sims 3, but also Medieval, MySims, SimAnimals, Sims Social, Sims Freeplay, etc. I don’t believe he was involved with Sims 2 until it was well into developing expansions, and even then his focus was more on Sims 3.

I just don’t think his role was integral in what made those games great. I think in general they had a better mix of staff and a more passionate team making those games.

He was in the thick of it though and knows what kind of staff and development would make for a great sim game. I play MySims, Sims Freeplay and Medieval, and I love those games too! So I'm going to hope for them until they make it clear that they are going to do something else. As it is, Paradox already has plenty of wonderful strategy games and of course Cities: Skyline is phenomenal. I think they may be ready to branch out into the life-sim genre. They also see the failings of TS4 and the complaints about it, so I think they will avoid all that and actually listen to us and give us the life sim game we actually want: a combo of TS2 and optimized TS3 with the new CAS features from TS4.

I really hate the way EAxis has treated simmers (ALL of us, not just TS4 simmers) and I just want some other game publisher and game studio who will treat us better.

• Options
    ShayminnasakuraShayminnasakura Posts: 13 New Member
    Details are becoming less, and less since the sims 3 released.
    If you go back, and play the sims 2, you will find HUGE amount of details. DETAILS! That's what I'm asking. Those are the tiny things make the sims fun!
  • Options
    WaitWhatYTWaitWhatYT Posts: 512 Member
    I mean, they have to listen to some things to gather ideas for new packs and figure out what needs to be patched (sometimes, at least...), they just listen selectively. as @Shayminnasakura says, the amount of content from 2-3-4 steadily goes down and down as EA tests the waters of what they can get away with cutting from the game and cutting corners when adding content before just enough people complain that they can no longer ignore it (ballpits anyone?).
  • Options
    Jaline33Jaline33 Posts: 1,168 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @JoAnne65 As for Graham's follow up tweet, feedback comes in multiple forms. I'm sure that our feedback played a role in shaping the toddlers, but the constant yelling for them did not. That's the difference between what Ninja said and what Graham said.
    I’d like to point at that one crucial word in Graham’s tweet: ‘persistence’ ;)

At this point in the game, I don't honestly see how anyone can truly think that toddlers were never going to come if the community didn't speak up. They were announced ahead of launch that they would be included but then were pulled because they couldn't be completed in time. Just that fact alone says that they were always intended, as Ninja stated. But I do think the development time after launch may have turned out even longer than originally planned because, by then, they felt they had to make toddlers worth the wait.
    Cars were also a feature announced to come before the base game was released before they were cut with toddlers and almost 5 years later we still don't know if they will ever come.

I don't know, maybe they meant the FX cars? :p I still have faith that we'll get real cars, eventually.

Except . . . where would our Sims *go* in these cars? At present, they can't even take their dogs for a short walk without running into an "end of neighbourhood" wall.
  • Options
    PrincipleOfEntropyPrincipleOfEntropy Posts: 389 Member
    GGgkkg wrote: »
    I mean, they have to listen to some things to gather ideas for new packs and figure out what needs to be patched (sometimes, at least...), they just listen selectively. as @Shayminnasakura says, the amount of content from 2-3-4 steadily goes down and down as EA tests the waters of what they can get away with cutting from the game and cutting corners when adding content before just enough people complain that they can no longer ignore it (ballpits anyone?).

Sims 2 Nightlife (£7.83 on Amazon)
    - 125 New Objects
    - Dating System (Chemistry)
    - Bowling
    - Vampires
    - Cars
    - Restaurants
    - DJ Booth
    - Karaoke Machine

Sims 4
    - No Chemistry System
    - Bowling cut to one pack (Bowling Night Stuff £9.99)
    - Vampires cut to one pack (Vampires £17.99)
    - Cars don't exist
    - Restaurants cut to one pack (Dine Out £17.99)
    - DJ Booth in separate pack (Get Together £34.99)
    - Karaoke Machine in separate pack (City Living £34.99)
    Madotsuki-Chair-Spin.gif
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2019
    Once again they listened to me.

I requested for tan lines in July 2015
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/842724/imperfect-skin-heterogeneous-tan

Unlike the previous games, The Sims 4 realized many of my requests.
    Post edited by LeGardePourpre on
  • Options
    MikkiMikkiMikkiMMikkiMikkiMikkiM Posts: 213 Member
    I assume it's a combination of both. They listen to what people want, and then they see which of those things fit best in the game + the plans they already have for it, and what would sell. I believe a lot of people who work there genuinely care about the Sims and are passionate about their job, but in the end it's still a capitalist company that above all wants to make a big profit. So just having a passion for creating good content won't get your ideas developed, necessarily. What might be interesting is a kind of 'Sims etsy', where people can upload and sell their CC and mod. This way people will be able to buy things EA doesn't offer, the CC creators can make a little money without all the ad crap, and EA-employed creators don't have to worry as much about providing everything people ask for.
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited June 2019
    When I look at my requests, I see it took years before becoming real.
    I guess they're also waiting for the right moment, the right theme to release them.

There is nothing else to do, just wait and let them do their job.
  • Options
    LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,448 Member
    Once again they listened to me.

I requested for tan lines in July 2015
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/842724/imperfect-skin-heterogeneous-tan

Unlike the previous games, The Sims 4 realized many of my requests.

Me too. I requested a trait randomizer last year. They just patched it in. I had also requested a variety of vampires with a Victorian theme and gargoyles and I got that, too. (Yay!!) Both of those took at least a year.

I've also been requesting a Fear emotion for a long time, or at least a Fear system. That is much more complicated. One of the devs told me at the time Vampires came out that a Fear emotion wasn't impossible, but it would take a lot of time and effort if they were to do it. But I keep requesting it and I see other people request it too, so I hope they are working on it because I think it's important.

I've seen a lot of things that people ask for come to fruition. It's just that when features take such a long time to implement, it can feel like no one is paying attention. And something about Sims 4 seems much more complicated developmentally than previous games.
    #Team Occult
  • Options
    SimTrippySimTrippy Posts: 7,651 Member
    edited June 2019
    GGgkkg wrote: »

Sims 2 Nightlife (£7.83 on Amazon)
    - 125 New Objects
    - Dating System (Chemistry)
    - Bowling
    - Vampires
    - Cars
    - Restaurants
    - DJ Booth
    - Karaoke Machine

Sims 4
    - No Chemistry System
    - Bowling cut to one pack (Bowling Night Stuff £9.99)
    - Vampires cut to one pack (Vampires £17.99)
    - Cars don't exist
    - Restaurants cut to one pack (Dine Out £17.99)
    - DJ Booth in separate pack (Get Together £34.99)
    - Karaoke Machine in separate pack (City Living £34.99)

7.83 today you mean though, right? I don't think that's exactly comparable since no TS2 EP still costs a lot and proving you own one gets you the entire remaining collection for free from Origin :joy:

Not saying TS2 wasn't awesome, it was, it's just not fair comparing today's price of a nearly 15-year-old expansion to the price of an EP released today.