Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Questions about uncommon performance tips

I have some questions about a couple of performance tips and aren’t commonly recommended.

First, does editing the dynamic avoidance in sims 3 ini produce any benefit? Does it make things worse? Second is “interaction on sloped terrain mod” necessary and does it help with performance?

Thank you.

Comments

• AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited April 2019
    Hi! I think the 'dynamic avoidance' is what determines the game's "collision avoidance steering behavior"; that is, how the sims route around eachother and objects when going places and interacting; and the value is the space left in-between. I think that if you lower it the sims will not need too much space to go places and you will perhaps have fewer routing problems, for instance when they need to clump together; like when many sims are entering buildings at the same time.

Edit: I have not changed mine.

Quoted from this; and I do not understand all of it of course:
    https://gamedevelopment.tutsplus.com/tutorials/understanding-steering-behaviors-collision-avoidance--gamedev-7777

About the mod: I think what is necessary is determined by your needs :smile:
    It seems the mod has a specific aim to allow interactions where those are not enabled in the game; perhaps to prevent sims to have to move to another place for the planned interaction; or just make it possible to have a hilly world etc. If sims for some reasons cannot do the planned actions, maybe they will throw a hissy fit and create routing errors, and perhaps this is what this mod can help with regarding that.

There are many things to effect performance and if you are having performance troubles I think any technical aspects and game management ones, posted in the technical section, needs to be adressed first by those knowledgeable in that area; before adding a mod like that.
    Post edited by Auroraskies on
  • Satanu_ReevesSatanu_Reeves Posts: 402 Member
    Thanks @Auroraskies . I'll read them. Haven't had any time for the Sims 3 lately...
    Oh it’s not necessarily necessary to read all of it, I am just covering my bases; no quoting without a source, and someone else always knows more, etc etc, yada yada, you know :smiley:

I have read some reports of simmers changing the values to 0, which seemed to create problems making the sims stick to eachother sometimes, and perhaps making a Picasso doing it; which in some cases might not be that pretty. (And if I were to test to change them, I would do it on a copy and save the original somewhere else of course). But do post a picture if you capture something funny!
  • CryptBabyCryptBaby Posts: 1 New Member
    Sorry for posting this here if it is the wrong spot, but i don't know how to create my own discussion, when I enter the sims, my character controls [the stuff in the corner like active households, seeing family, etc] is super small now and i don't know how to return it to normal size?
    edited April 2019
    @CryptBaby Hello! I am wondering if you play The Sims 4, as that seems to be a common problem for that game. This thread is for The Sims 3 :smile:

There is a way to change the UI size in Sims 4: if you go into the options.ini file, description on Mod The Sims (read the comments for tips):
    http://modthesims.info/t/545908

The Sims 4 help pages are on AHQ, link here (and on your 'own' page, click on your avatar to access it):
    https://answers.ea.com/t5/The-Sims-4/ct-p/the-sims-4-en

If you are playing Sims 3 I suggest waiting till one of the technical simmers are online.

@CryptBaby Edit: I forgot! The 'selfies' will have a different form if you change the UI, read here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/878654/what-happened-to-those-selfies-problem-solved
    Post edited by Auroraskies on