Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is it possible to go into build mode in the Secret Lab?

I tried to use the cheat that normally will unlock these hidden lots, but with the secret lab, but it's not working. I have edited other hidden lots. I'm hoping to add a little more to this location, to make it look like people were there at one time. Is there a way I can actually get into this lot to work on it. I did use the bb.enablefreebuild cheat but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. I do have the mod that allows all cheats to work.

Comments

• kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    nope, even with the cheat you're not able to build on it because it's tied so much to the story. i know some players would be good with keeping the doors as-is (since they're the 'gates' for the story steps) but they were probably afraid people would break it if they left it editable even with free build
  • StarfreeStarfree Posts: 1,447 Member
    The Gurus themselves said there were "11 editable & one uneditable special lot.' So, unfortunately, we can't do anything with it build-wise.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    Bummer, I wasn't going to do anything more than add a few decorations/clutter around the lab.
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    I really wish we could edit it. I love the downstairs areas but that ground floor really needs a bit more oomph.
  • gettpsgettps Posts: 420 Member
    I know, I REALLY want to modify the Get-Famous movie lots.
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited July 2019
    Can't you do that if you stay after work ?
    gettps wrote: »

Post edited by Dianesims on
  • NausNaus Posts: 405 Member
    The Sims 4 doesn't care about giving players the ability to edit special lots.

In TS3 there wasn't a single lot you couldn't edit yourself. Festival lots, tombs, highrises, etc. Even lots that were locked, there was an easy cheat to unlock them. Developers also provided the tools to create your own triggers in EPs like World Adventures, and multiple markers that trigger special scripts or events, as well as extras like the fog emitter which allows to generate any FX in the game.

Sadly, The Sims 4 has a completely different design philosophy. It is not about making our own stories in a sandbox experience, but about playing the stories developers want to tell. StrangerVille is the most obvious about it, but all EPs and GPs except for Seasons, Parenthood, Vampires and maybe Pets have this problem.
    edited March 2019
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Can't you do that if you say after work ?
    gettps wrote: »

I've successfully redesigned the Science Lab. Mine's a lot better now and still works fine. (Well, as fine as it can since most tasks are broken as Gardening doesn't work on community lots. But that's a different issue.) I've heard others can be redone as well. Hospital and Police station are good to change I think.

Problem with the movie lot is there is actually dozens of them. With every new acting gig set and fame level, there's a different lot. Every time you go there, the lot is wiped and re-loaded with a new one. That's how they change the lots with new sets each time. Have an acting gig in the medieval set? the lot is wiped and loaded with the medieval lot. Have one in the captain sigma set? the lot is wiped and re-loaded with that set.

Any changes you make to the lot get wiped out when a new set is loaded. Bummer huh?
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    I want to use the lab for Strangerville scientists... How did you do that?
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
    Hejix wrote: »
    I want to use the lab for Strangerville scientists... How did you do that?

Do you mean the secret lab or the science lab?

The secret lab, I don't think you can. The entire lot is restricted, even from bb.enablefreebuild.

The science lab, you can assign specific NPCs to the science career and they MIGHT show up to the lab, but not all scientists. I've assigned a few NPCs to the science lab, but they don't always show up. There's 6 total job slots(including you). Out of the 5 remaining, only three show up at a time, but the game decides which three. If you have less than 5 assigned the career, the game will just pick more until all 5 slots are filled.

I might have the numbers wrong. It might be 6/4 instead of 5/3. Forget off-hand.

To assign someone to the science career, you'll have to remove someone else first.

Click on the sim you want to remove (they have to be actively played)
    careers.remove_career career_adult_active_scientist

Supposedly you can also do it like this:
    sims.get_sim_id_by_name Bella Goth
    [returns a number]
    careers.remove_career career_adult_active_scientist xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But that method, using the simID is EXTREMELY flaky and almost never works. It's much easier to just play as the NPC, and use the first method.

To assign the career, make the sim you want in the career active, then:
    careers.add_career career_adult_active_scientist

I used that method to add Bella Goth, Lily Feng, and several others so I'd have them on the science lab lot.

But remember, the science lab lot and career are severely broken anyway.
  • SiliCloneSiliClone Posts: 2,585 Member
    I'm using set as head to add some things in the secret lab
  • Simmer_chiyenSimmer_chiyen Posts: 362 Member
    Please, @SimGuruHouts ! Could the team release the tools to edit the secret lab. And if you’re afraid that players might break the story mode, maybe publish a guide on the requirements for the lot to function normally.
  • VentusMattVentusMatt Posts: 1,028 Member
    I definitely would like to edit the lot and add some science equipment from GTW.
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    How is the science lab and career broken? I haven't played it in a long time.
  • julienrob2004julienrob2004 Posts: 4,173 Member
    edited March 2019
    Gardening is still messed up at the science lab , so if you need to grow plants , or need them for jobs you have to grow plants at home and bring a load to work with you

IE For making potions
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,543 Member
    I didn't know there was anything wrong with the scientist career. It's one of my faves, if not my most favourite.

I use a lab I downloaded and it already has plants outside so I have no problems gardening.
  • kalaksedkalaksed Posts: 2,643 Member
    the gardening issue is that after the pre-seasons gardening update, harvestable plants will only create their harvestables at around 5 am and only if there's a sim on the active lot (or an active lot in the neighborhood, in the case of the larger neighborhoods). since you can't go to the science lab lot outside of work hours, the plants there won't spawn their harvestables after collection. (unless this has finally been addressed. it's been on the bug list ever since the gardening patch hit)

i do have all the plants needed for all the potions growing in my lab, as well as all the 'strange' stuff (plasma trees, growfruit, forbidden fruit, the new bizarre fruit should be added soon...the latter in a sealed off chamber... and such) but haven't actively played any of my scientists in a bit, partially because of the gardening changes
  • Bronwin2Bronwin2 Posts: 2,010 Member
    I see. I noticed part of that in other neighborhoods in that I had to move a Sim into or play a house in the neighborhood to get the plants to spawn. I didn't realize that this would prevent the Science Lab plants from spawning. I noticed it when my Vampires from other neighborhoods went to Forgotten Hollow to harvest Plasma Fruit.
  • HejixHejix Posts: 1,056 Member
    @gettps I meant the secret lab... Oh, too bad we can't edit it.
    I want to play ALL the premade families! One day...
    Bronwin2 wrote: »
    How is the science lab and career broken? I haven't played it in a long time.

Gardening is completely broken on community lots. Doesn't work at all. At the Science Lab, there are I think 5-6 gardening pots (a few are empty) that contain plants that never grow or blossom. They never dry out, never grow flowers, fruits, or vegetables, never need weeding. If you plant something in one of the empty pots, it'll grow to the "Blossoming" stage and freeze there, never actually blossoming.

So, since most Science career tasks require gardening, it's practically impossible to get a gold any given day without cheating.

Most tasks are like "Order a co-worker to garden", which is impossible because plants don't need gardening on community lots. Or, "Create a Rose-perfume serum", which is impossible because the rose-bush doesn't blossom.

Oh, I suppose you could grow ALL the potion ingredients at home, but then you'll need to carry dozens of ingredients with you all the time to work, which is horrible. Why should I take up space at home growing 10-20 different plants?
  • Kain_DrakanKain_Drakan Posts: 16 Member
    It is a pain, can't create a rose perfume serum to save my life because of the plants being messed up. I had to get my scientist sim to his house, use the cheat to show hidden objects and place a rose and a rose perfume serum via build mode. Then I cloned them a few times and voila. I'm sure there are easier ways, but this is the one I could think of. The devs need to concentrate on fixing these bugs before even thinking on starting another extension or pack, it's just annoying. And don't get me started on vampires not being able to use dark meditation... ugh!
  • Kain_DrakanKain_Drakan Posts: 16 Member
    Oh, I forgot... are those chemical analyzers from the secret lab available in build mode to use on any other lot? I did the bb.showhiddenobjects and for the life of me I still can find it.
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    I agree, its just wasted space. I hope they can change that and at least, let us edit some of the space which would allow for some random Sims to pass through as well.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    I can understand them not wanting the lab edited in the initial state, but once the 'mystery' has been solved the place should be fair game. Strangerville is gravely lacking in available lots, so even one more to work with would be a great help. As it stands, unless you want to solve the 'mother' bit, the village is useless.
  • ZiilieuZiilieu Posts: 5 New Member
    As @Oldeseadogge stated, once mystery is solved and story line completed, the lab should remain static. after its done it should be unlocked motherplant-less(unless shes kept alive and friendly but useless). Id love to transfer all my scientists to the Secret Lab as a workplace, but EA and gurus don't care about other players ideas or opinions, heck they hardly care for any other gurus ideas...just their own.