Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 University issue- Acedemic Performance not going up when learning correct Skills!

So I'm playing a new save file, Sunset Valley, every Stuff/Expansion except the Katy Perry ones, and even though my Sim is taking a Technology degree she is not getting any Performance boosts when learning skills. I've got her trying to learn Handiness and it's not only not going up, but stil going down as though she's taking a shower or something... It goes up normally when in class or studying.

Comments

• igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    That's unexpected. We know that the science skill can be broken for the Science/Medical major but I don't think I've heard of this one. Does skilling up in logic help if your sim isn't maxed out already or does the same thing happen?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • MoonlightSaviourMoonlightSaviour Posts: 39 Member
    Didn't try Logic since she was trying to become an Astronaut and she went to Uni before even building a house. XD
    Update: Game slowly going insane. Before this glitch the Sim was randomly playing the Magician music. Common glitch, right? Well, now she's got the Utopian Future in and a high level job and all and in the past all the bushes and trees on her lot have Utopian colours, a random old lady showed up at 1 AM and stole her childs sketchbook of her desk, and the fish tank is making birdsong.
    edited October 2018
    unknown.png
    This is her home in Sunset Valley. With some Utopian colours- it only affects her lot, and as you can see not all trees.
    edited October 2018
    Offhand I would have to say you have a corrupt ongoing game on your hands.

I don't know if you are using mods other than NRaas, but possibly one or more of them are giving your game heartburn? Or possibly, have/do you ever retreat to the Main Menu to load up a new or an existing save without quitting all the way to the desktop/Origin first and reloading the game program?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited October 2018
    The only things other than NRASS are Errortrap, Story Progression, Overwatch, Traveller and no intro. Been using them for years with no issues, also she started playing the acrobat music right after finishing using a laser rythymacon. I seriously only use the mods to help smooth gameplay since I use every single expansion pack at once. This is the first time it's glitched so badly. Do you think it'll get worse and snowball? This is currently my only save.
    edited October 2018
    ErrorTrap, StoryProgression, etc. are not "other than NRaas," those are our mods (except for NoIntro but am sure that's not relevant). :)

I know this is no help for today, but playing a long running ongoing game without Save As copies to revert to should things start to go wrong is playing without a safety net. This game, even with the supporting mods doing their best to help avoid corruption, is delicate and things do happen. Not everyone needs to have 200 copies of their ongoing game from various points in time filed away on external storage, but for those less kooky than perhaps I am at least a few would be recommended.

Have you/do you routinely clear (delete) the five cache files on the top level of your TS3 user game folder in Documents?

Other than that suggestion, if it doesn't help all I can say is that based upon what you have described I would not play this save forward. :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I actually do delete the Caches, as well as the Featured Items as that fills up a lot. Well, this sucks, but I found quitting and going back in to fix the acrobat music fixed the glitches bushes/trees back to their normal fall colours. So far nothing has been game breaking, so I'm not too worried. Thanks for your help, I will start keeping backup saves.
    Important: Deleted cahces again, deleted save, started new file with the same Sim I made... And it's already glitching. She can't call for services from her University rental house. She just talks and laughs then hangs up. Should I reinstall my whole game/packs?
    Generally speaking, reinstalling the game doesn't solve anything. The game program files, which is all a reinstall impacts, do not change over time unless a patch is applied and we haven't had any of those for years.

Then again, I never see any of these issues reported. What kind of install is this?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Default install, with some (about a quarter of it, including the base game), installed via disc with most of the packs being digital copies. If it helps I found NRASS Shooless caused a lot of lag for some reason. I removed it already though.I'm just gonna bite the bullet and try making AdventureLand into an empty town full of houses with no furniture. That might help a bit, a lot of Sims get stuck on my games. I could just be having a run of bad luck. I forgot to mention I also have the anti magic scroll and debug enabler mods from NRASS. I'm a bit sad to have had to delete that save file though, that Sim won 3 million in the lotto and even became friends with an alien on the first day with just one space rock. But she also had her boss sit at her lot all night for no reason after giving her 4 different flower boquets. XD
    I notice that you mentioned changing saved games without entirely quitting. What would a habit of using the start button to tab out do? I usually only do it when a glitch or something happens so I can look it up. Would that accumulate over time to corrupt a save?
    Somehow the ceiling is too low for a window facing one way but not the other. No lights in the way, no uneven land. Different save, haven't even started the world yet... Just made it to perfect a futuristic build style. Building in Adventureland... Cleared everything but the community lots, getting lots of lag, the works. ;-;
    Okay, running with my cc (all store stuff, not exchange stuff) I notice Riverview and Hidden Springs are repeated twice. Finally getting somewhere. Seems my CC must have somehow been installed mutliple times. What can I do?
    Look in your InstalledWorlds folder. If there are multiple entries for the store worlds, that would cause them to appear more than once on the selection screens.

You may want to consider dumping your entire TS3 user game folder (the The Sims 3 folder in Documents) by dragging it to your desktop and starting over with a new one, then testing the game with no content added added at all then slowly add it back in.

It's NRaas, by the way, not NRass. But none of the mods other than StoryProgression are really known for causing lag or undue stress on the game engine. SP does, it's a trade-off between features and performance on that one.

I don't really understand your Start Menu tab out question. Switching applications shouldn't be causing problems other than the game potentially getting stuck to the task bar and crashing if it isn't minimized correctly instead. But I do have to point out once again, as mentioned on another thread, that your fps rates appear to be uncapped. They should never rise above 60 fps, the refresh rate of your monitor. I understand you disagree (from another thread) and couldn't make vertical sync work properly for you if I remember correctly, but don't really see how that can be ruled out as a potential source of performance issues.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I'm more worried about the glitches than the lag, but it's worse than usual. I really can't find the option for capping the fps... Well, time to start everything fresh again. XD Thanks. If this doesn't work I'll just deal with it.
    Removing the game files and starting fresh (Except readding mods, store bought CC and my lone save) has fixed everything! Thanks! =D