The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Disabilities for Sims 4? Tea leaves are leaning to Yes

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,749 Member
    I want to point out that the Grant and the others have talked to both wheelchair simmers AND hearing impaired/deaf simmers.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • paradiseplanetparadiseplanet Posts: 4,421 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    I want to point out that the Grant and the others have talked to both wheelchair simmers AND hearing impaired/deaf simmers.

That doesn't really cover the entire spectrum of disabilities.
    Origin ID: paradiseplanet27
    tumblr_ojq4r339Ni1usy5rpo1_100.png
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member

For mental and emotional disabilities they'll likely want to get input from experts in the field. Same with learning disabilities if they go that far -- hidden traits that can affect how quickly Sims learn new skills or do homework, for example. I like the idea in theory but I don't want them to feel like they're shoehorned in. Maybe it's the sort of thing that could be part of a Sims 5 base game, along with the transgender options.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)

@paradiseplanet but talking to Simmers who use wheelchairs or who are hearing impaired is a start in the right direction. That they aren't going into it willy-nilly.
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member

It start,and they can't do the full reign of disabilities anyway.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I’m really very indifferent about this. If it will make people happy then yay, but as I understand it, it also makes people very unhappy. I mainly regret a lot of time will be put into something that probably won’t add any interesting gameplay.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • graventhegraventhe Posts: 1,330 Member
    Grant said they won't charge for this meaning they'll patch this in, please make it optional
    As others have said, I also play the sims as escape from reality I dont want to be constantly reminded how harsh life is..
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    edited September 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I’m really very indifferent about this. If it will make people happy then yay, but as I understand it, it also makes people very unhappy. I mainly regret a lot of time will be put into something that probably won’t add any interesting gameplay.

I don't see it adding any gameplay either
    and I know a lot of people with disabilities want basic game play like free babies and cars
    which we might not get because of this they only have so much time to make stuff @JoAnne65
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I think they're already doing it though
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • wormstache999wormstache999 Posts: 477 Member
    I think it was said that it wouldn't be a charged download but a free update, and like other options in the game I am sure there would be an option to disable the disabilities in the menu (no pun intended)
    You're right. They said it would be free :)

I really hope for a toggle, but the ability to enable and disable things is really lacking in TS4, so I'm not sure if this would even happen. Though it certainly would be the best thing to do.
  • slamondaslamonda Posts: 1,357 Member
    edited September 2018
    im on the fence about this people with a disability i'm guessing play this i know when i played tso there were alot so alot might find this as making fun of it just my thought its a escape from real life for them
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    This seems like a bad move not only because this game refuses to give you the option to turn off features you don't like but I can see outrage in the community people upset for what ever reason. If they force this in the game with a patch I can see it now every townie is going to be disabled in City Living clothing.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    edited September 2018
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    This seems like a bad move not only because this game refuses to give you the option to turn off features you don't like but I can see outrage in the community people upset for what ever reason. If they force this in the game with a patch I can see it now every townie is going to be disabled in City Living clothing.

Ugh, why is everybody always telling me I should be outraged? While of course EVERYBODY wants disabilities to be done right I think very few disabled people are saying that they don't want to have some sort of representation in The Sims.

The only outrage I'll be feeling is if I'm left out because Autism isn't 'exciting' enough or somesuch.

And so what if a lot of people are suddenly spawned as being disabled? That's what happens with updates. There's suddenly a huge surge in the new lifestate.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,183 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

Ugh, why is everybody always telling me I should be outraged? While of course EVERYBODY wants disabilities to be done right I think very few disabled people are saying that they don't want to have some sort of representation in The Sims.

The only outrage I'll be feeling is if I'm left out because Autism isn't 'exciting' enough or somesuch.

And so what if a lot of people are suddenly spawned as being disabled? That's what happens with updates. There's suddenly a huge surge in the new lifestate.

Life states only happen if you buy the content. This needs to be like the transgender patch. The only trans sims if you make them.
  • Voldarian_EmpireVoldarian_Empire Posts: 134 Member
    If I am unable to toggle disabilities off and my child is born with disabilities I would be profoundly upset....this was my concern when i saw the transgender options that my sim children would develop them on their own

Please before I am attacked let me explain

I have no problems with any of these but usually I go in with and idea or goal and breed children who serve that purpose....for these options to destroy that would be nothing short of game ruining for me
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Loanet wrote: »

“I can see outrage”, not “you should be outraged”.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

I'm pretty sure they would make disabilities completely optional... just like they did with the transgender options.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • LustianiciaLustianicia Posts: 2,489 Member

For mental and emotional disabilities they'll likely want to get input from experts in the field. Same with learning disabilities if they go that far -- hidden traits that can affect how quickly Sims learn new skills or do homework, for example. I like the idea in theory but I don't want them to feel like they're shoehorned in. Maybe it's the sort of thing that could be part of a Sims 5 base game, along with the transgender options.

For mental and emotional disabilities (assuming they do, in fact, go that far), they shouldn't limit themselves to just "experts" in the field. People who actually have these kinds of disabilities (like autism, dyslexia, etc) should certainly also have their say in how they'll be represented in the game.

I know you didn't have any negative intentions with this comment, but one major problem with research revolving around mental disabilities is the fact that people hardly ever consider the thoughts of those who actually have them. For example, when autism is the topic, very rarely do we ever hear the thoughts and opinions from people who actually have autism. It's almost ALWAYS from the perspective of their family and friends.

We need to start actually listening to people who have these disabilities, instead of family/friends and those who are just considered 'experts' in the field. There's an entirely different perspective when you do this.
    Favorite Packs
    Sims 1: Hot Date
    Sims 2: Seasons
    Sims 2: Happy Holiday Stuff
    Sims 3: Seasons
    Sims 3: 70's, 80's, & 90's Stuff
    Sims 4: Seasons
    Sims 4: Paranormal Stuff
    Sims 4: Strangerville Game Pack

78MB6Gb.jpg
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    I'm not disabled myself but i would like that we would get those In game. I like different stories and if we would get wheelchairs etc would give a lot of possibilities to tell new stories.
    I love that i got different type of sims in my town / different culture and grazy mean old lady, mean teen group that terrorize town etc.
    It make my sims town look alive and fun! and they spice up my builds. So i really hope we could get all types of new things that make sims different and unique.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Charlotta11Charlotta11 Posts: 399 Member
    But i hope you're sims can born whit it. I think i can too easily decide what happens in my game. like u can avoid cowplan from eating you, u can avoid being electrocutet, u kinda have to make it that something happen to you're sims so it kinda boring. I would like that something exiting just happen.
    11.3.2019_1.06.18.png
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    I really don't want it, because I play The Sims to have fun. I would prefer disabled sims to be something I don't have to buy. PLEASE don't make it a free update!
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Hope it would be optional, if it is forced I would no longer play because I would not want this
  • sbatdorffsbatdorff Posts: 1 New Member
    This is an option I would not choose. I have a wheelchair bound profoundly disabled child at home. I don't want to take care of disabled sims as well as my own IRL. This is my down time. For those who would want it...cool...have at it.
    Do people miss the obvious fact that being able to create disabled sims would be OPTIONAL? So like the trangender patch- it only will happen if you create a disabled sim
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Katlyn2525Katlyn2525 Posts: 4,201 Member
    edited September 2018
    Whether you played the Tragic Clown or not was optional. It still didn't stop your sims from walking around in clown hair. That was added by the game and not you.