Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Game crashes since July 31 update

I just updated my game today (I was away from my computer since the July 31 update rolled out) and each time I start the game, I get less than 10 seconds in gameplay before my screen starts to flash, it cuts to the desktop, then black screen, and then the computer blue screens. Yikes. I'm not sure what is going on, but I have never had a technical issue with Sims 4 until this update rolled through.

I can play the game fine in the main menu and on the map, but the crash occurs when playing live. Also, oddly enough, since the first crash, my computer cannot recognize my speakers, so there is no sound.

I will have to try sims 2 and 3 so I can see if I happen to have problems with those games or just Sims 4. I will get back to you on that.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello
    Repairing the game may help. To do that, go to games library in Origin, right click on the sims 4 picture and click repair

Try deleting the cache files and see if that helps
    https://sims4.crinrict.com/en/2014/09/delete-cache-files/

Make sure that your graphics drivers are uptodate.

If the issues remain, could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report

After you have saved your dxdiag info on your computer, go to the pastebin site https://pastebin.com
    and copy/paste the dxdiag info into the white box there. Press the button to create the new paste/pastebin text file.
    Then post here in this thread the web address of your dxdiag info that is on the pastebin site
  • Options
    AnthonydyerAnthonydyer Posts: 1,197 Member
    I have determined that the update is not the culprit. My graphics card went bad. Should a graphics card go bad after 3 years of moderate gameplay?
  • Options
    You could try updating your graphics drivers and see if that helps the issue.
    If you still have issues, it would be good to post here what your graphics card is, and tech simmers can offer advice.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2018
    Anything has a chance to fail before it's time. The lifespan of a graphics card can be anything between 3-10 years. Most cards have a 3 year warranty. A pre built system will have it's own warranty. What you're describing with the game crashing and blue screen could be a failing power supply. Do you know for sure it's the graphics card giving out? Have you tried updating drivers?
    Post edited by SimplyJen on
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    My brother removed the graphics card and told me the computer will run fine without the graphics card. It does run fine without it. I don't dare run the game on only the processor (I think that is what he told me supports it). The graphics card has gotten to the point where I can't even see the screen unless the graphics card is removed. Every time I go to update a driver, it tells me I already have the most up to date version of the driver, even though most of the softwares are original to the computer.

I did keep the computer in an area where there is limited airflow. I probably should replace the desk I put it into. It is a gaming computer, so it should be pretty resilient to wear and tear.
  • Options
    I am sorry that you are having these issues :( You may like to post your dxdiag info here. There are instructions in the earlier post. Simmers can then offer help and suggestions, to help you with your issues.
  • Options
    SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited August 2018
    Ah, ok :/ Yes, without a dedicated graphics card installed the computer will use the integrated graphics that's included with your processor. It's not ideal to game on integrated graphics. It sucks when hardware suddenly fails. If at all possible, consider replacing that dedicated card so you don't have to stress the processor gaming with integrated. PM chesterbigbird or I can help you find a suitable replacement card. rose posted how to post your dxdiag info here. If your brother is knowledgeable enough, maybe he can help install the new card.

Is it one of those desk with the cubby slot for a tower? Gaming generates a lot of heat. Gaming computers are built for heat but having the computer in such a small space with no where for the hot air to dissipate is not a good idea. No way of knowing if that's what killed your graphics card but heat does cause damage to hardware. Even high-end hardware has limits. I would suggest finding a new place for the tower. Preferably not on the floor or at least, not on carpet.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • Options
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Is it one of those desk with the cubby slot for a tower? Gaming generates a lot of heat. Gaming computers are built for heat but having the computer in such a small space with no where for the hot air to dissipate is not a good idea. No way of knowing if that's what killed your graphics card but heat does cause damage to hardware. Even high-end hardware has limits. I would suggest finding a new place for the tower. Preferably not on the floor or at least, not on carpet.

Yes. It does have a cubby slot and has a door that closes. I have always kept the door open during gameplay, but the cubby is rather narrow. I don't really like the desk, but it is too big and too expensive to just get rid of.
  • Options
    vikixcvikixc Posts: 330 Member
    My brother removed the graphics card and told me the computer will run fine without the graphics card. It does run fine without it. I don't dare run the game on only the processor (I think that is what he told me supports it). The graphics card has gotten to the point where I can't even see the screen unless the graphics card is removed. Every time I go to update a driver, it tells me I already have the most up to date version of the driver, even though most of the softwares are original to the computer.

I did keep the computer in an area where there is limited airflow. I probably should replace the desk I put it into. It is a gaming computer, so it should be pretty resilient to wear and tear.

I had an R9 280x that died in a similar way last month.

One day I couldn't update the graphics drivers then the screen kept going black and coming back on. I went on holiday for 2 weeks, came home, turned the PC on and it was dead. Mine wasn't heat related, I never let it get to 80'c and changed the thermal paste regularly. Things can just die, it could have been anything.

Anyway, your PC needs good airflow, try and move the tower to an open space, if it is a wooden desk try and saw a hole in the back of it to let the air escape (I don't blame you if you don't wanna do this) or just buy a new desk. Even a gaming PC needs good airflow, if anything it needs more than a standard office PC because it is under more stress.

On board graphics are pretty bad, you won't be able to play the Sims on it and tbh I wouldn't even chance it, there isn't much you can do other than buy a new graphics card, your brother seems knowledgeable so I would ask him for advice on which to buy.

2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    edited August 2018
    vikixc wrote: »

One day I couldn't update the graphics drivers then the screen kept going black and coming back on. I went on holiday for 2 weeks, came home, turned the PC on and it was dead. Mine wasn't heat related, I never let it get to 80'c and changed the thermal paste regularly. Things can just die, it could have been anything.

Anyway, your PC needs good airflow, try and move the tower to an open space, if it is a wooden desk try and saw a hole in the back of it to let the air escape (I don't blame you if you don't wanna do this) or just buy a new desk. Even a gaming PC needs good airflow, if anything it needs more than a standard office PC because it is under more stress.

On board graphics are pretty bad, you won't be able to play the Sims on it and tbh I wouldn't even chance it, there isn't much you can do other than buy a new graphics card, your brother seems knowledgeable so I would ask him for advice on which to buy.

I was on vacation too. For a week and a half. I never had any serious problems and no game related issues until comming back from vacation. It’s not like anyone came in the house and damaged the computer while I was gone. I am convinced my house has the ‘gremlins’ lot trait.

The desk cost $1,000 so I don’t dare drill a hole in the back. I wish desk companies were more mindful of this issue.
  • Options
    vikixc wrote: »

I was on vacation too. For a week and a half. I never had any serious problems and no game related issues until comming back from vacation. It’s not like anyone came in the house and damaged the computer while I was gone. I am convinced my house has the ‘gremlins’ lot trait.

The desk cost $1,000 so I don’t dare drill a hole in the back. I wish desk companies were more mindful of this issue.

Yes I have the unlucky trait xD
    I also managed to crash my car whilst I was on holiday, I had to pay for that, then my graphics card died, my SSD was also on its last legs so I just decided to buy an entire new PC, I know for a fact when one thing breaks in my house everything follows it :lol:
    And the best part is despite buying a new PC, my game is still laggy :smiley:

Over the period of 3 weeks I spent nearly £2000, not counting general living and money spent whilst on holiday :grimace: luckily my car is insured.

I just have a cheap desk that I bought 7 years ago, it's made from some kind of metal with holes in it by design. I think it cost me about £50.

I would find somewhere else to store your PC tower until you find a more suitable space for it.

Everything that is made today is purely cosmetic and no real thought goes into practicality :neutral:
    2UFyFUV.png

• Options
    @vikixc Oh no. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you better luck.
  • Options
    @vikixc Oh no. I am sorry to hear that. I wish you better luck.

Thank you, I hope you get your PC/desk situation sorted too :)
    2UFyFUV.png