Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What's with the random holidays popping up?

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
When I got Seasons installed I deleted all holidays and created my own.

Then Neighborhood Brawl day popped out out of nowhere, but I saw it a few days ahead and could delete it.
Now yesterday when playing I realized too late I was in some kind of "Mischief day" that I wasn't aware of and had no plans of actually playing, but to my dismay I couldn't delete it since it already started. At least i could "end it early". But then again, I still couldn't delete it because you can't delete holidays that has passed for some bad reason.

I hope I'll remember to remove it next summer.

Anyway, what's with this? Is it the developers that think they're "creative" throwing in weird "holidays" with patches? Now i have to remember to open the calendar every 🐸🐸🐸🐸 day so I can intercept and delete any more random holidays.

I ONLY want the holidays I design. Please.
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Options
    BlueSeaWavesBlueSeaWaves Posts: 4,429 Member
    It’s random holidays that appear randomly through the year. The traditions for those aren’t available to the custom traditions or the ones like winter fest or love day. There’s even one where everything in Build/Buy is 10% off and a lottery day. They occur very randomly, I’ve gone though a full year of seasons and only had 2 random holidays
  • Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    I want to say a random holiday is added each week. There are quite a few. Yes you can end them early if you forget to delete them in advance but I believe Sims get a negative buff when you do? Not sure on that.
  • Options
    Chazzzy wrote: »
    I want to say a random holiday is added each week. There are quite a few. Yes you can end them early if you forget to delete them in advance but I believe Sims get a negative buff when you do? Not sure on that.

They're supposed to, but I am constantly overloaded with positive moodlets to the point that even my teenagers barely manages to throw a tantrum.
    But okay, random holidays. Huh. To me it kind of negates the "make your own" thing, but ok. I just have to check calendar every day and delete them.
  • Options
    SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,669 Member
    There's lots of random holidays, and I'm with OP, we should have a way to turn them off without needing to clear the calendar.

That said, I like to check them out first, so I'm keeping them for my first run through year. I've noticed some of them come with unique game play or interactions added to the menu pie, so they are not just randomly designed holidays. Wish there was some tab in the game setting where we could check them on or off, depending on which ones we want to reappear.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • Options
    Evie0602Evie0602 Posts: 634 Member
    I like the random holidays. It adds more excitement and randomness to my sims lives. You can always delete them if you don't like them though.
  • Options
    CheekybitsCheekybits Posts: 1,030 Member
    When I got Seasons installed I deleted all holidays and created my own.

Then Neighborhood Brawl day popped out out of nowhere, but I saw it a few days ahead and could delete it.
    Now yesterday when playing I realized too late I was in some kind of "Mischief day" that I wasn't aware of and had no plans of actually playing, but to my dismay I couldn't delete it since it already started. At least i could "end it early". But then again, I still couldn't delete it because you can't delete holidays that has passed for some bad reason.

I hope I'll remember to remove it next summer.

Anyway, what's with this? Is it the developers that think they're "creative" throwing in weird "holidays" with patches? Now i have to remember to open the calendar every plum day so I can intercept and delete any more random holidays.

I ONLY want the holidays I design. Please.

Well you see when the developers made the pop up holidays they had everyone in mind not just you.

Also the game normally tells you a day in advance before a holiday will start. When it pops up you just go delete it.
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    I adore the random holidays. I finally got "Talk Like a Pirate Day" this past weekend (during winter) and I really enjoyed that interactions with objects changed, for example "Bunk Down" or "Get Forty Winks" instead of sleep/nap on the bed - and "Get Grub" from the fridge. :D

I liked the "Neighborhood Brawl" holiday, however, my sim won 5 fights that day, and those fights don't reflect in his sim stats - that makes me a little sad.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    CupidCupid Posts: 3,623 Member
    I have mixed feelings about them. But I cancelled prank day for the household after it had already started and my sim didn't seem to be upset by it. So as long as I can just continue doing that, I don't really mind.
    HdLHa3j.png
    (◡‿◡✿)
  • Options
    Jordyn78988Jordyn78988 Posts: 421 Member
    Cupid wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about them. But I cancelled prank day for the household after it had already started and my sim didn't seem to be upset by it. So as long as I can just continue doing that, I don't really mind.

Yeah, I don't think that sims receive a negative buff unless you have played through the holiday. I agree, it doesn't bother me as long as I can cancel it without getting a bad moodlet.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    I'm not a fan of Neighborhood Brawl after my married couple fought in the middle of Sunny Side Up Diner, but I like all the other ones -- just finished TV Premiere Day and all my Sims except one had a successful day (actually evening).
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    I love random holidays. Don't see how it's a big deal, considering that you can cancel them when they appear. I'd hate it if there were never any random surprises in future EPs just because some don't like them.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Fine. But do they stay deleted?
    And again, I want a switch to turn them off in options.
    It doesn't help that I'm not particularly enamored by the holiday system at all; it feels lackluster, rather boring, and buggy. Like the fact that the gnomes only spawned enough times so that three out of four family members could show them respect, or worse, that some things just don't trigger (Rabbit not showing up, or despite streaking for 9 hours straight it never got checked off the list for two of four family members).
  • Options
    pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    Fine. But do they stay deleted?

Random holidays do not repeat on the same date each year. They only appear when they pop up on the calendar at random. As far as I know, deleting the holiday once does not nullify its' chances of appearing again sometime.
  • Options
    calaprfycalaprfy Posts: 3,927 Member
    Evie0602 wrote: »
    I like the random holidays. It adds more excitement and randomness to my sims lives. You can always delete them if you don't like them though.

+1

The random holidays offer things your created holidays don't.
  • Options
    jessicaamyjessicaamy Posts: 24 Member
    I’ve played with all few different family’s and have never had any extra random holidays pop up. Both of the families are different save games but they both have full time jobs, do they only pop up when your sims have days off?
  • Options
    TravisBlackfoxTravisBlackfox Posts: 553 Member
    You don't have to participate in the random days and my boys are always so happy that any negative moodlet is so far on the end of their list it doesn't even show for them. Brawl day came and went without nary a tiff and they didn't give two carps about it. They were too busy playing music, painting, and woohooing to worry about going down the street to fight someone that didn't need to be fought with. It's not a big deal and hardly anything that can be considered an annoyance. They'll get over whatever negative thing pops up, but if you treat them good and have them in a good environment in the first place, it won't hardly matter anyway.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    edited August 2018
    I like the random days so far. I had TV Premiere Day which was easy enough to accomplish, and just now I've had Rebate Day, which was also easy. Neither of them have broken immersion for me. My only issue so far is that I wish there was even more customisation available for the holidays you can create yourself.

The Brawling Day just appeared in my calendar but as I'm not playing Criminals in this save, I have no use for it, and it got deleted.
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    I ended up deleting everything BUT the random holidays, actually.
  • Options
    sleekoduck87sleekoduck87 Posts: 255 Member
    I despise the random holidays. There is no way to delete them, and some of them (like Neighborhood Brawl) actually conflict with the more recent EPs (like Get Famous). I don't mind one or two random holidays per four seasons, but I literally get them three to four days per week. Some of them, like Lottery Day, are actually offensive to me and go against my personal beliefs. Is there some way to delete these out of the calendar? They're hidden. My Sims are busy with other things and many of these holidays are a nuisance that interferes with gameplay.
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • Options
    WildIrishBansheeWildIrishBanshee Posts: 2,105 Member
    I like them, except two (Neighborhood Brawl and Prank Day) so modded them out to more Skill Days. My sims generally don't fight or prank, so it wasn't worth it to me to have those - especially after the first run through, where my husband and wife went out on a date at a restaurant then started attacking each other. No thank you. That being said, there may be mods that remove them completely, if mods are your thing.
  • Options
    I like them, except two (Neighborhood Brawl and Prank Day) so modded them out to more Skill Days. My sims generally don't fight or prank, so it wasn't worth it to me to have those - especially after the first run through, where my husband and wife went out on a date at a restaurant then started attacking each other. No thank you. That being said, there may be mods that remove them completely, if mods are your thing.

Please, please tell me how to mod them out! The option was greyed out on the calendar because the holiday is still going on, and the holiday disappears after it's over. Cheat codes, mods, anything... I want those evil things gone. Especially Talk Like a Pirate Day and Neighborhood Brawl. Pretty please!!!
    I'm working on adding my mods to Curseforge. In the mean time, check out my YouTube channel & WordPress blog for more. I go by Sleekoduck. I'm also the one who figured out how to play The Sims 2 in Windows 8 and the original fix is on Facebook & LiveJournal. Thanks for the 100 Awesomes everyone!6a00e54ee3905b883301bb07e55862970.jpg
  • Options

Please, please tell me how to mod them out! The option was greyed out on the calendar because the holiday is still going on, and the holiday disappears after it's over. Cheat codes, mods, anything... I want those evil things gone. Especially Talk Like a Pirate Day and Neighborhood Brawl. Pretty please!!!

You can just delete them from the calendar and they won't appear again in that save, I believe.
  • Options
    :'( They don't show up in the calendar in my game. My game is probably glitched. Thanks, though.
  • Options
    I think, if you've only just had them, it sometimes takes a little while for them to reappear due to the way the calendar works.
  • Options
    FurAndYarnFurAndYarn Posts: 459 Member
    I personally do like the random holidays most of the time, but I also wish there was a way to turn them off on a per-save basis. As a workaround for when I don't want the holiday as part of my story, I have the UI Extension Mod installed and I'll just cancel the negative moodlet after I cancel a holiday.
    Explore the story of my over 50-generation legacy family!
    z5lD0kSm.png
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top