Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Upgrading pc graphics card

Huntress1181Huntress1181 Posts: 186 Member
Lately ive been getting lots of my pc restarting or that blue screen error while playng sims 4.. Checked the hardware all is good soo now thinking its my graphics card. I have a gforce gtx 660 icame with my ibuypower system back when that card was top line. Fast forward 5 years later thinking i need a upgrade. Ive been eyeing the Gforce gtx 1050. Im not on my pc right now but im unsure if it can handle that card. I mean my pc tower itself is huge and made for upgrades just never did one. My pc is running windows 10, its a 64 bit 8 GB 7.44 GB useable drive space. It still runs smoothly too no lags when playing at high settings. Just random restarts or bluescreen. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Wanted to add i have also a intel graphics card that i never use. Unsure why it came with the pc

Comments

• Huntress1181Huntress1181 Posts: 186 Member
    My pc is an IBUYPOWEREXTREME GAMING PC 4th generation intelcore i5-4430 3.0 ghz 8 gb DDR3 1tb HDD, DVDRW, 2GBNVIDIA GForce gtx 660, 64 bit
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I just spoke to user chesterbigbird. She won't be on the forum for a few days. You can send her a PM and she will get back to you when she comes on the forum. if you can't wait, I suggest using the Origin forum and speaking to user bob007, Bob does not come in this forum often
    I am checking into not upgrading my system and just getting a smaller more compact pc to place on my desktop. I was looking at the MSI Desktop Computer Trident 3 8RC-005US Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit. What are your thoughts on this small pc for gaming?
    Hi I am curious about using the MSI Desktop Computer Trident 3 8RC-005US Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8400 (2.80 GHz) 8 GB DDR4 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 Windows 10 Home 64-Bit . Would this be ok for the Sims 4?
  • simlandersimlander Posts: 196 Member
    I'm not an expert but you definately can. On how high settings is something another (more wise than me) person can answer.
    It meets recommended requirements however it's more like a gaming console and you may have heating issues with the game. we have helped people in general with like computers/console and they get heat issues. Get yourself a good mid sized tower with good cooling and room for upgrades or switching out hardware so you don't buy a throw away computer. This is if your not going to upgrade your older PC
    I answered you in your other tread. about tiny console computer
  • ScarletSimEaterScarletSimEater Posts: 126 Member
    That's well above recommended specs, and could run the game on ultra settings without any problems.
    Hmm, I've read reviews on this Trident. There isn't much heating issues, it gets a bit warm but other than that its ok. I have a mini split a/c in my room to keep it cool too. I really don't want to get rid of my older rig since its working still good. Just the gaming is having issues. I would be a new 500 w psu if I got the new graphics card. Which alone the graphics card is like 350. Then theres the new power source which is like another 80-100. Then theres me having to figure out what wires go where. Would love a smaller compact pc that could be plugged in beside my larger desktop pc.
    That's up t you but I would double check with one of the build experts in this forum before purchasing. I know chester does not advice mini/console PCs

Are you in the USA? You only need a 1050 for this game. 1050 ti would be better but you don't have to have a 1060 . The new 1000 series cards are so much better than older series
    Yea, I am in the USA. NH actually. I've been reading through the reviews about the MSI Trident and it doesn't really have a heating issue. It can on some games run around 75degrees which is almost equivalent to the Xbox One and such. I am just worried that my pc in general will stop playing all my games eventually. It is getting older. The card 1050 ti is about 199. on amazon unsure if I would need a new psu for that card.
    Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.
    Your welcome. Consoles are made differently. PC games also run differently than the console versions of games. For the price they are charging for that trident you could get a custom tower with all certified hardware. There are companies where you pick out the hardware and they build the computer for you. Chester could help you with that.

Have you checked newegg? They charge no tax outside outside CA, TN and NJ. If you wait and speck to chester she can find you the best prices for upgrades.

i would weigh all options before buying something that could have the potential to have heat issues.
    Actually yea, newegg is the site that I found that small console. Here is the link for that pc https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883152374&ignorebbr=1
    Its actually a desktop computer, just a mini version. Not truly a console. :)
    yea I know, I posted this one earlier. Not sure how to delete it. I wanted to after I posted it because I wanted to make a new discussion.
    Someone in another forum told me it could be a bad psu on my pc causing the unexpected kernal error. Just may have to replace the psu and see if its the cause.
    You might just have to replace the PSU. It could be the video card etc. I advised you to check with user @chesterbigbird who builds computers. You can click on her name and send her a PM .

Ok, so haven't tried the graphics card yet but I went to Best Buy and bought the CORSAIR - CX-M Series 550W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 Modular Power Supply - Matte black, it wasn't too difficult to put in either. I was actually nervous at first but its running smoothly right now. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/corsair-cx-m-series-550w-a...

Also purchased the EVGA - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 SSC Gaming 6GB GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - Black
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-nvidia-geforce-gtx-10...
    There both on sale this weekend so it was a good time to buy them.
    Thank you for your help, its greatly appreciate
    Hoping for some Happy Simming and gaming now.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Make sure to go to the Nvidia website and install the driver for the GTX 1060... Plug your monitor into the graphics card, not the motherboard.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Thanks. I didnt have to go to the website i have GForce experience and it installed and updated the driver for me. Thankfully i have the intergraded intel graphic card to set things up tgen it instantly reconized the new gpu once downloaded and installed. My only issue was the audio. Lol i plugged that in the wrong jack at first after putting in the new psu. I played for about a half hour and loving it. Just had to get to bed. Having MG isnt fun when you want to get things done and enjoy it. Lol
    Glad you got it figured out. Enjoy your game. I think it was a better choice to upgrade your pc than buy a mini console pc
    Glad you got it figured out. Enjoy your game. I think it was a better choice to upgrade your pc than buy a mini console pc

yea, I kept researching and reading reviews. The MSI Trident 3 has heat issues for the mini console pc, but I was reading that the new MSI Vortek (I think thats how its spelled) its better as far as heating issues goes. MSI fixed that issue with the newer model being the Vortek.
    Still going this router was much cheaper. PC seems to be running great, only thing I may add is more ram and another ssd plus card. I've got plenty of slots and room in this massive beast. lol

yea, I kept researching and reading reviews. The MSI Trident 3 has heat issues for the mini console pc, but I was reading that the new MSI Vortek (I think thats how its spelled) its better as far as heating issues goes. MSI fixed that issue with the newer model being the Vortek.
    Still going this router was much cheaper. PC seems to be running great, only thing I may add is more ram and another ssd plus card. I've got plenty of slots and room in this massive beast. lol

With the desktop you have , you can add, upgrade and replace things allot easier than you would be able to in a mini pc,
    yes, so true. As long as I know how to. This was my first time actually getting into the pc case itself. Was kinda scary. Lol, but then again worth it to learn. Perhaps some day make my own pc when the time comes. I can defiantly use the case I have now. Also that Corsair PSU, is made by Seasonic, which I was reading that make for Corsair only in the higher end PSU models. :)
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited May 2018
    yes, so true. As long as I know how to. This was my first time actually getting into the pc case itself. Was kinda scary. Lol, but then again worth it to learn. Perhaps some day make my own pc when the time comes. I can defiantly use the case I have now. Also that Corsair PSU, is made by Seasonic, which I was reading that make for Corsair only in the higher end PSU models. :)

Hmm not sure it's made by seasonic, I'm pretty sure it's the old lower watt version that was made by seasonic.
    Seasonic do make budget power supplies also, the CX by corsair is one of their budget build power supplies, Nothing wrong with it but certainly not on the higher end scale. I know some of the HX and TX version of corsair are from seasonic.. they are more expensive though.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide