Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mac User's Best Friend/PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING (Sims 4 Version)

Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
First of all, if you are new to either Macs or Sims 4 and play on a Mac, please read this thread. It's always best to research what problems you can have or others have had and how to avoid them or solve them yourself.

The Wonderful BlueBellFlora has a comprehensive guide to all things Mac for the Sims 4 game. I recommend reading it before posting here. She gives step by step instructions on how to solve most problems that affect those of us who play on the Mac OS. (All computers are PC's which is shorthand for "Personal Computer"). Here is a link to her blog. https://bluebellflora.com/the-sims-4-mac-help-threads-guides/

This is by no means the only Mac Help Section dedicated to playing on a Mac. Many of us still play Sims 3 and there is a specific Mac Help Section for Sims 3 only. Beware that newer Macs have problems with the playing Sims 3 especially MacBooks. This section is found further down on the Forums page under "Legacy Titles". Here is the direct link for this section. http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/mac-discussions

And lastly, Origin does not track the hours you've played Sims 4 on a Mac. This is a known issue, will probably never be fixed and does not affect how the game runs or plays. What matters is if you having problems getting the game to run and play properly.

Speaking of Origin, turn off Automatic Updates in the Options section. Why you ask? Whenever the game is patched, Modders and CC makers may have to update their content as EA/Maxis have corrected or changed the way the game plays. These folks will need to update how their mods work or you will get game errors and the game will not start or play properly. Keep note of where you download your mods/CC from and check these sites for updates before you update and patch your game. It will save you hours of headaches later.

Another tip to pass on concerns CC and Mods. Unfortunately there is no "program" that will allow Mac Users to sort through Bad Content. You will have to remove the Mods and CC from your game. So it is best to move your Sims 4 folder to your Desktop (Documents > Electronic Arts > Sims 4). DO NOT DELETE IT! Start up your game to allow a new folder to generate and then add back a few pieces of CC at a time to determine which ones are bad. I color code mine so that I can find the bad CC more easily.

So Mac Simmers, here is your one stop shopping guide to all things Mac, Sims 4 and how to solve the most common problems found. Enjoy!

**Edited to add more information**
Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
Post edited by Tremayne4260 on

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    Great thread! Thanks Tremayne :)

Thankfully Sims 4 really is so much more stable than Sims 3 ever was. Most of the issues that arise are down to iCloud Drive being enabled, CC/Mods causing issues and Origin playing up. After numerous patches, 4 Expansion packs, 6 Game Packs and 14 Stuff Packs, the game is now really starting to lag and slow down on lower spec. Macs and older machines.

One other thing to always do in Origin - turn off Origin in-game. It's been the cause of so many issues in the last few months. EA have also provided Mac users with the most brilliant reset tool for Origin which isn't available for Windows users. Its definitely a link that all Mac users should bookmark - https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/origin/origin/how-to-reset-origin-on-mac/
    apple-signature.png
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    **Bumping this back to near the top so people can see it until it can be stickied**
  • fcurtifcurti Posts: 10 New Member
    Hi! I have been trying to get help for a while. I accidentally deleted my sims 4 folder on my mac, and need to get it back. I have uninstalled the game and I am reinstalling it now. I talked to someone at EA and they told me to do this. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!!
    Hello. Please be advised that in order to get help you don't need to post your problem in every Mac help thread. We will see it when we log in. BlueBellFlora and myself are not paid EA employees and we don't log into the forums all the time. Not sure where you live, but we may not live in the same time zone you do. Your problem will be addressed when we see it.

Next, have you read any of BlueBellFlora's blog posts? She really details most problems Mac users have and gives step by step instructions to correct it if a solutions is known.

And thirdly, exactly which Sims 4 folder did you delete? The one in the Documents folder or the game folder found in Applications?
    Bumping this thread up as there are things that everyone should be aware of. Please read before updating your game.
  • FrankfurnFrankfurn Posts: 2 New Member
    Do you know if EA is going to do something about the Sims 4 folder being stored in Documents? My iCloud is full and the game will not let me direct it to any other folder.
    That is where the game has always been stored and is stored on both the Mac and Windows. You will need to cull your iCloud account to see if there is anything you can perhaps store offline on a USB drive or a thumb drive if it's really important.
  • QueenEliana4QueenEliana4 Posts: 8 New Member
    Would these MacBook Pro specs run sims 4 on medium settings with lots of cc and mods installed?

2.5GHz dual-core 7th-generation Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 4.0GHz
    16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3 memory
    512GB SSD storage
    Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640
    Will this run sims 4 smoothly with medium settings and with cc and mods?
    It should. Just remember the more CC and Mods you add, the slower your game will run.
  • QueenEliana4QueenEliana4 Posts: 8 New Member
    Ok, thank you!
  • hw0518hw0518 Posts: 6 New Member
    Can somebody please help me? I have been struggling with an issue in the sims and I cant find a way to fix it.
    I added some cc into my game yesterday and the downloads arent showing up in my mods folder. I dont know how the mods are even in my game because there arent any downloads in my mods folder. But the problem is, is that everytime I try to add new cc to my game, it doesnt show up in my game but the cc that I added into my game yesterday shows up even though I dont even have that cc downloaded onto my computer. Or at least I cant find any trace of it on my computer. I have restarted my game which didnt help, I have uninstalled my game which didnt help and I have done a lot more but nothing is working and all I want to do is just add cc to my game. Somebody PLEASE HELP! I would really appreciate it.
    First of all, is the "Enable Mods/CC" option checked in your Sims 4 game settings. I know it's under the Options setting in your Game Preferences. It's in the "Other" section.

Next, have you "unzipped" your CC/Mods? All CC/Mods should end in the ".package" extension. You will need a program to "uncompress" these files. I recommend Stuffit Expander. It's free and you should be able to find it by searching Google.

Please advise if you have tried these steps and/or if this helps.
    Yes I have done those things
    Ok, try this (if you have already try it one more time for me).

1) Move your Sims 4 folder to your Desktop. DO NOT DELETE IT!
    2) Start up your Sims 4 game remembering that none of your saved games will be available at this time.
    3) Create a new Sim and play for about an hour to see if anything else is happening with your game. Exit and save the game as normal.

Now when you are in the new game, remember a couple of pieces of the CC you recently added (like clothes, hair or makeup) and see if any of those show up in CAS. If they do not, then that's ok.

I know that some CC is placed in the Tray Folder instead of the Mod Folder. I always check to see if the creator specifically states where to place the CC.
    Thanks for your help.
    You're most welcome. :)
    A reminder to everyone that next Monday, all help will be rendered through Answer HQ on the EA forums. If you have not done so, please create an account there to have your questions answered. If there are any "open" threads here that I or someone else has not answered you, I will do my best to make them aware of the issue on the EA forums.