March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

A few questions

rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
edited March 2018 in The Sims Medieval
1. Can you create many different Sims in this game, or is it just create one and play as that.
2. If you can create many sims, can you create a sim partner and then marry them like in the other games?
3. How is the performance? Is it better than the Sims 2 and 3?
4. Are there any working mods for the Origin version (deluxe) of the game?
Post edited by rjssim on

Comments

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    1. You begin with a single available hero to create: your Monarch. As you complete quests and accumulate points, you can add buildings that enable nine other hero classes: Knight, Spy, Wizard, Physician, Blacksmith, Merchant, Bard, Jacoban Priest and Peteran Priest. These professions are fixed, and required by the buildings that enable them. If any of your heroes die, you will be prompted to create a replacement. If they have children, those children age up to adults in that profession when the parent dies. In a given quest, you will only play one or two heroes. When you complete that quest, you can choose what to play next, and work through all your heroes rotationally, or focus on those you especially enjoy. When you finish an Ambition - a longer series of quests to achieve an overall kingdom goal - you'll have an opportunity to start a new one, in a new kingdom that begins from scratch. That means making new heroes as well, unless you saved your earlier ones to the bin. Even so, you're starting at level 1.

2. Your heroes can romance your other heroes or NPC townsfolk. There is no barrier to same-sex romances, but also no adoption feature. Only opposite sex couples can have children. Since the only Sims you can add to your kingdom are heroes, your ability to plant romantic partners is limited. You can't just make "guardsman #12" for your hero Sim to marry - it has to be one of the 10 playable professions. If you marry an NPC, the NPC remains non-playable. Children are non-playable. Only your 10 heroes are playable.

3. Much better than TS3, though it uses the same engine. It's a smaller game, with fewer demands on the system.

4. I know of a few tuning mods, but cannot name the site that hosts them here. In general, I have found very few mods for TSM.

Hope that's some help!
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    Thanks, @Sindocat. Just one more quick question. Can you bring a hero with you on a quest as a follower?
    It varies by quest. Each has a fixed range of possible heroes, and only some allow more than one. For "Cutting Edge", it's a Blacksmith and the Peteran Priest, and each Hero will have tasks within their profession that contribute to the success of the Quest (which ends with you forging a legendary sword, which neither a Blacksmith nor a Peteran Priest can use, but will be very nice for your Monarch, Knight or Spy). Quests take a few in-game day-night cycles (some take longer than others), so you aren't stuck with those particular Heroes for particularly long. Some quests give more freedom in picking lead and backup heroes than others.

Oh - once you finish an Ambition, you have your full kingdom, unlimited Quest Points, and can play in a sort of sandbox mode. You can take on more quests, or take on "Free Play" with or without daily responsibilities. Either free play option allows you to play as many as 4 of your heroes at the same time, and to freely switch among them, or trade out to play a different hero at any point.

Things like the rabbit-hole adventures in the Forest or on the High Seas, you can't choose to send 2 heroes together, alas. Those are one at a time and with the sea ones, as you only have one ship, you'll have to wait for it to be over before you can do anything else from the docks, whether hunting whales or trading with a foreign location.

TSM is a weird sort of hybrid. A lot of it feels way more restrictive than TS3, but it also has a lot more structure to adventures. I love the game, so I try to explain it as well as I can, because it is so quirky it is very easy for it NOT to be what one expects. Not your usual Sims, but in tights and shining armor, for sure.
  • rjssimrjssim Posts: 1,335 Member
    Thanks again for the information, @Sindocat. I guess I'll be picking this up, it sounds good.
  • lelo714lelo714 Posts: 1 New Member
    I can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm posting here because the subject is appropriate.

Please explain how to start a new thread.

Now for my question ....

Does anyone have a map of the kingdom they can share?

The only thing I've found is this: beyondsims.com/2011/04/the-sims-medieval-overview-map/
    and I can't figure out what each pin represents.

If you don't have a map can you give me an idea of what is North, South, East, and West. What is central and what is outlying?

Thanks for your help.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    edited May 2018
    Hi @lelo714,
    lelo714 wrote: »
    I can't figure out how to start a new thread so I'm posting here because the subject is appropriate.
    Please explain how to start a new thread.

This has to do with you being a new member. More information, please see this link: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/770609/member-or-new-member-everything-you-need-to-know/p1
    lelo714 wrote: »
    Does anyone have a map of the kingdom they can share?
    The only thing I've found is this: beyondsims.com/2011/04/the-sims-medieval-overview-map/
    and I can't figure out what each pin represents.
    If you don't have a map can you give me an idea of what is North, South, East, and West. What is central and what is outlying?

I used the map you mentioned and put in numbers to clarify. When it comes to North, South, East, and West, not a clue. I'm already glad I can find my house. :p I can't upload pictures so see this link for the numbers: https://imgur.com/a/vrpzkQf

1. Forest (rabithole): is already there.
    2. Knight chamber (barracks): needs to be unlocked.
    3. Palace and reception hall: palace is already there. Reception hall needs to be unlocked.
    4. Spy chamber: needs to be unlocked.
    5. Peteran Monastery: needs to be unlocked.
    6. Jacoban Cathedral: needs to be unlocked.
    7. Watcher Pavilion: is already there. Needs to be unlocked.
    8. Cave (rabbithole) used for some quests and graves (decorative): is already there.
    9. Kingball Court: needs to be unlocked.
    10. Road to the village (rabbithole): is already there.
    11. Judgment Zone: is already there.
    12. Mill (decorative): is already there. Needs to be unlocked.
    13. Smithy: needs to be unlocked.
    14. Town Square: is already there.
    15. Market: needs to be unlocked.
    16. Tavern: needs to be unlocked.
    17. Wizard tower: needs to be unlocked.
    18. Docters clinic: needs to be unlocked.
    19. Light house (decorative): is already there. Needs to be unlocked.
    20. Harbor ship (rabbithole): is already there.

The road below the mill has water with fishing spots. Same goes for the beach where the lighthouse and ship are located. Other marked places on the map, which are not mentioned in my numbers, I think this are spots where Sims can collect: fish, plants and herbs, leeches (in fishing spots) and metals. Bare in mind, you have to unlock most buildings. On my website you will find more information about all the locations but my website is Dutch. If you right click the page in Google Chrome you can use Google translate to translate: http://desimsmiddeleeuwengids.weebly.com/gebouwen-en-locaties.html

If that doesn't work for you, I'am sure Google will assist in finding the appropriate/additional information.

Hope this helps, so your heroes don't get lost ;)
    Post edited by SimLibby on
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    @SimLibby
    Thanks for posting your site. I like the quest list and the chance cards. I'm going to bookmark it. And all the info in the same language as my game :smile: fantastisch, bedankt.
  • SimLibbySimLibby Posts: 668 Member
    @Atreya33,
    Graag gedaan (you're welcome). :)
  • DarkgothroseDarkgothrose Posts: 2 New Member
    dont understand how the points work or how to know how long the account is and ive been struggling and wondering how does one manage all their heros with their dailies reponsbilities i love the daily responbilities but when i switch from one hero to the next my previous one doesnt seem to do their responbilites and i dont want any of my heros to die or keep getting in trouble for not dong their responsbilites
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    dont understand how the points work or how to know how long the account is and ive been struggling and wondering how does one manage all their heros with their dailies reponsbilities i love the daily responbilities but when i switch from one hero to the next my previous one doesnt seem to do their responbilites and i dont want any of my heros to die or keep getting in trouble for not plum their responsbilites

It might help you to read the lessons to get you started. The point of the game is you don't know how many tasks or time it will take to finish a quest. So, it's up to you to raise their bars the higher the better. Things won't go well if they aren't in a good mood or focused. And more likely to fail. Start with one hero, pick the easiest quests (which might be over within a day or two) don't play with two or three until you understand the game better. Annexing some neighboring lands offers benefits to help your hero, like giving the longer time periods to complete the daily tasks.

Run a practice world to start, with one hero until you get the hang of the game, and Carl's Guide site can help you understand points etc. But the game contains "Lessons that are a tremendous help for those just starting out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    Also, inactive heroes accumulate their base daily income while you are not playing them, but do a lousy job of keeping focus - they'll eat gruel or flatbread or roast rat, and not really entertain themselves. That's okay. Your heroes do not actually have Daily Responsibilities unless you are actively playing them. Nearly always, they'll need immediate attention to start building Focus, but the Responsibility timer starts when you start playing them, not at 9 AM, if you start a quest in the afternoon or at night.

That said, prioritize your Daily Responsibilities before Quest requirements. Responsibilities give your hero Focus when completed, which helps succeed at Quest tasks. Until you see multiple Xes under the time-running-out moodlet, you are fine for Quest progression. You need to pace things slowly enough, with your Hero at high Focus (green bar full), to finish a Quest at Platinum level for maximum benefit to your Kingdom.
  • TheLibrarySimTheLibrarySim Posts: 966 Member
    Sindocat wrote: »

That said, prioritize your Daily Responsibilities before Quest requirements. Responsibilities give your hero Focus when completed, which helps succeed at Quest tasks. Until you see multiple Xes under the time-running-out moodlet, you are fine for Quest progression. You need to pace things slowly enough, with your Hero at high Focus (green bar full), to finish a Quest at Platinum level for maximum benefit to your Kingdom.

And, this gives you the opportunity to raise your Sim's level. Focus on Daily Responsibilities and whatever action they can do to accumulate XP (training, writing, healing, etc.) and then go for the Quest requirements.

7mQr8Yt.jpg
  • akaniki0akaniki0 Posts: 470 Member
    You may still be able to purchase a prima guide to medieval ( but not pirates ) somewhere. It has lots of helpful things including maps, quest diagrams, spells for the wizzard and more. My copy is falling apart. If you can't find it anywhere, I have found Carl's Guide to the Sims (all of them) invaluable. I can't post the link but it is very easy to find. Just type it into a search.
    Carl's is indeed a fine resource (for all Sims content). He and Pam run a T-rated site, so I think links are permissible.

Carl's Sims Medieval Strategy Guide and Walkthrough