Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

When Do You Think Sims 4 Will End?

Comments

• Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited January 2018
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Saw this on Twitter this morning:

What is FY 18Q3..? (I'm not surprised by the way, Rodiek already stated Sims 4 had a rocky start)

Fiscal year 18, quarter 3.

The fiscal year basically just means EA determines for themselves what counts as a year and has a point where they start cranking out numbers on what they earned in the past year. For some companies it aligns perfectly with a normal year on December 31st, some others count the first friday in January as the end of the fiscal year (if I remember correct, anyways), and some others might consider something like June 23rd the "New years" of their fiscal year. It's not a traditional New Year, but rather EA might consider January 10th the end of 2017 due to how their company operates. The fiscal year is always named after the year it ENDS in, so fiscal year 18 implies their fiscal year did recently end in January.

Quarter 3 would be the third quarter, and I'm actually glad you picked up on that because it potentially downplays that statistic even more. It explicitly states only the third quarter has seen this boost. If we go off the assumption their fiscal year ended in January (since I have no definite proof but that seems to align with everything I know about fiscal years), then this means their quarters started one month later than usual. Quarter 3 would then be the months of August, September and October.

That doesn't seem right because they hardly release anything in August, September or October. Have ANY of the years Sims 4 has developed for released major packs in those months? It's also possible that even though it ended this January, it ended on January 1st, in which case we'd have the more traditional quarter of July, August and September.

In either case, Q3 would be one of their least active quarters regardless. It basically means the Stuff packs of those quarters saw a 35% sales increase over past years. One might argue that this can be used as a reasonable sample to represent sales increases of all packs since a 35% increase in a humble stuff pack must speak for something, but it's also odd that the data makes an effort to explicitly state it's just Q3 that saw such increases. Q4 would be the quarter that releases Expansion Packs while Q1 and Q2 traditionally release Game Packs.

Perhaps the thing to take away is....as I said, percentages are more flattering when you have nothing to begin with. If my company sells 10 products in an entire year and this year I sold 15, I can tell people my company saw a whopping 50% growth in sales. That they've more or less cherrypicked their LEAST active quarter and brag about 35% growth is probably very telling that the others aren't seeing this level of growth. Sure, the community is probably seeing growth all the same (I doubt these random forgettable stuff packs in Q3 would see such growth if the community wasn't growing), but overall it's likely a far cry from 35% year over year for the entire game at all times.

EDIT: What's got me curious is the comment "The Sims™ 4 player base grew more than 35% year-over-year and delivered the highest performing expansion pack to date during the quarter." The wording there is strange. To me it implies the Expansion released during Q3, but that makes no sense. If they're going by the system where their fiscal year ended in 2018 so it's fiscal year 2018, we're in January, so it's impossible for Cats and Dogs to land in Q3. Either I'm misunderstanding something, he was simply saying as an additional caveat unrelated the the 35% year-over-year portion that Cats and Dogs sold better than any other expansion pack to date, that Cats and Dogs outperformed all other EA expansions of it's economic quarter, or he's referring to whatever released during Q3 as an "expansion pack."

I think either I'm misunderstanding something or Cats and Dogs selling better than other expansions was simply an additional caveat and wasn't meant to sound like Cats and Dogs was in Q3. Probably the latter because it would make sense in the sense that for them, Q4 (the one with Cats and Dogs in it) probably just ended, so he probably meant that quarter they just finished rather than Q3 from the previous comments.

Could also be that he's referring to their console release. Wasn't that in Q3? Wouldn't really be a surprise though if the console release beat former expansion sales, so would be kind of a weird thing to praise the game for.
    Post edited by DeservedCriticism on
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    MasonGamer wrote: »
    I'd Pray Sims 4 gets a good 10 years lifespan, Once I get the majority of what I want, I'd like an additional 5 years to enjoy the game before they usher in the Sims 5.

I sort of feel this way also. Maybe not five years but I wish they would give us at least a couple of years to enjoy the finished game before releasing another. Of course you could wait to buy it that would never happen with me. :) I still have so much gameplay left unfinished in Sims 3. University was released in March 2013, Island Paradise was released 3 months later in June, then Into The Future just four months later in October. 3 packs in one year. Sims 4 was announced in May of 2013. After that announcement it was really hard to focus on the current game.
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

What is FY 18Q3..? (I'm not surprised by the way, Rodiek already stated Sims 4 had a rocky start)

p.s.: Sorry, happens to me often, staring at something in complete confusion, then think 'heck, I'm gonna ask' and as soon as I have, bingo, I get it: federal year 2018 quarter 3. Not that I totally understand now, cause that means from July 1, 2018 to September 30, 2018. That's like... in the future...?

FY2018 started in April of 2017, and will end March of this year.

With the rerelease of the base game on PS4 and XB1 it’s not surprising that there’s a jump in players. There’s no way to cross reference PC ownership but there’s probably a lot of overlap, but that’s really going beyond the message EA was trying to convey in it’s report.
  • Options
    Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    Beyond 2025
    I just don't think I'll be investing in The Sims for a fifth time, The Sims 4 has given me almost everything I've asked for in a Sims game and I likely won't be enticed to buy everything all over again for a fifth time. I honestly hope that they just continue The Sims 4 for many years and make it one of the biggest and best games of the franchise and in the entirety of EA's history. TS5 will come out and people will just be asking for everything we had in previous games again and frankly, I'm over waiting on doing laundry in a life simulator again.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • Options

p.s.: Sorry, happens to me often, staring at something in complete confusion, then think 'heck, I'm gonna ask' and as soon as I have, bingo, I get it: federal year 2018 quarter 3. Not that I totally understand now, cause that means from July 1, 2018 to September 30, 2018. That's like... in the future...?

With the rerelease of the base game on PS4 and XB1 it’s not surprising that there’s a jump in players. There’s no way to cross reference PC ownership but there’s probably a lot of overlap, but that’s really going beyond the message EA was trying to convey in it’s report.

Thank you, that explains a lot. So it is their EPs that have the 35% increase.
  • Options

Not exactly what I was saying. A 35% increase to the active players would be talking about those who bought The Sims 4 base game on console. The PC game is definitely not moving at that rate, it’s almost 4 years old.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    Just remember folks after more content is added the game begins to suffer longer loading times, more bugs, and stability problems leading to lag and crashing. Sims 1, 2, and 3 all suffered the same fate. Just because they didn't make it open world doesn't mean Sims 4 will not suffer anything. Sure Sims 4 still lacks what we had in the past but......
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options

Not exactly what I was saying. A 35% increase to the active players would be talking about those who bought The Sims 4 base game on console. The PC game is definitely not moving at that rate, it’s almost 4 years old.

But by your own stat where you say their fiscal year starts in April, that would put the console release (September) in Quarter 2, no? The EP release and console release aren't in the same quarters. It's fully possible their fiscal Q3 indeed involves September, but based on what you said above, their quarters would be Q1: April-May-June, Q2: July-August-September, Q3: October-November-December, Q4: January-February-March.
  • Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
    I would like to see 9 EPs despite also having game packs.
    The could end it by 2020, but I feel this game needs a lot of content to be enjoyable.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    shadyladynzshadyladynz Posts: 68 Member
    Honestly, I think that Sims 5 will have to be holographic or VR based to be anything better than Sims 4. I know Sims4 has had its issues and a lot of people are not happy with it, but lets face it, who could go back and play Sims 1 ( I started playing with Sims 2) . I tried going back to play Sims 2 and it was so....lame. Even Sims 3 was a struggle to play again!
    0rqatopx73kc_zpsa779gqg6.jpg?t=1509333538
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited February 2018
    Erpe wrote: »

Yes. But he also gave the reason which was that EA released both Cats & Dogs and TS4 for consoles in that quarter. In the next quarter EA likely will release only a SP and maybe a GP. So the result will likely be very different.

Actually they have not counted console yet - that was mainly just for pc. I was at the Earnings call - and they said as much.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    edited February 2018

But by your own stat where you say their fiscal year starts in April, that would put the console release (September) in Quarter 2, no? The EP release and console release aren't in the same quarters. It's fully possible their fiscal Q3 indeed involves September, but based on what you said above, their quarters would be Q1: April-May-June, Q2: July-August-September, Q3: October-November-December, Q4: January-February-March.

? The console version of the game released in November. Which is Q3.

C&D released Nov 10, and the console released on Nov 17.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited February 2018
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »

Yes. But he also gave the reason which was that EA released both Cats & Dogs and TS4 for consoles in that quarter. In the next quarter EA likely will release only a SP and maybe a GP. So the result will likely be very different.

Actually they have not counted console yet - that was just for pc. I was at the Earnings call - and they said as much.
    From http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ERTS/5835277897x0x970086/74A57BE8-5573-41F2-A6D3-EC79F8E8B8DF/Q3_F18_Earnings_Call_Transcript.pdf :
    ”The Sims 4 had another extraordinary quarter as we launched our highest-performing expansion pack to date and brought the game to consoles for the first time. Both of these contributed to player base growth in our Sims 4 community of more than 35% year-over-year in Q3. Need for Speed Payback also brought new experiences to long-time fans this quarter.”

The statement is from CEO Andrew Wilson. So according to him the Sims 4 for Consoles contributed to the growth in the player base too (and probably even much more than Cats&Dogs did).
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited February 2018
    Beyond 2025
    Prink34320 wrote: »
    I just don't think I'll be investing in The Sims for a fifth time, The Sims 4 has given me almost everything I've asked for in a Sims game and I likely won't be enticed to buy everything all over again for a fifth time. I honestly hope that they just continue The Sims 4 for many years and make it one of the biggest and best games of the franchise and in the entirety of EA's history. TS5 will come out and people will just be asking for everything we had in previous games again and frankly, I'm over waiting on doing laundry in a life simulator again.

At the risk of unintentionally getting this thread move to Off Topic section, I would invest in TS5, because i like to think outside the box, and there is one trillion more things they can do with Sims and the animations that we have never seen yet. :) (jumping a low level fence to cross a yard, just as important to me as was sitting down by the pool's edge)
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

At the risk of unintentionally getting this thread move to Off Topic section, I would invest in TS5, because i like to think outside the box, and there is one trillion more things they can do with Sims and the animations that we have never seen yet. :) (jumping a low level fence to cross a yard, just as important to me as was sitting down by the pool's edge)

I'm truly hoping they wont work on 5 until they can make it VR capable. Just imagine for a second. Virtual. Reality. Sims.
    I would just die for this.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    edited February 2018

I'm truly hoping they wont work on 5 until they can make it VR capable. Just imagine for a second. Virtual. Reality. Sims.

I hope they make it optional as not everyone can play VR even if like me they have a pc fully capable of it. I get motion sickness badly in VR use I discovered while testing some VR (HTC Vive) for another company last year. I mean real bad. Never felt that bad ever. So definitely need that optional.

One other thing is keep in mind VR wants a stellar pc system that not all Simmers have either. I am definitely running the system - the problem was me, not the pc. LOL. I know it was awesome though as I couldn't handle it but on the other hand hubby took over and I had to practically fight to get my pc back. He loved it.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member

I hope they make it optional as not everyone can play VR even if like me they have a pc fully capable of it. I get motion sickness badly in VR use I discovered while testing some VR for another company last year. I mean real bad. Never felt that bad ever. So definitely need that optional.

Ooooh i never considered that. I have to be already sick and dizzy to get motion sickness.
    I guess VR would be super intense for some people.
    I wonder if it effects people with epilepsy too
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • Options
    elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 2,004 Member
    A 35% increase to the active players would be talking about those who bought The Sims 4 base game on console. The PC game is definitely not moving at that rate, it’s almost 4 years old.

Except the last quarter (July-Sept 2017) had a 40% year-to-year active player increase without the console release.
    • In The Sims 4, monthly average players are up more than 40% year-over-year, and anticipation is high for the console game launching in Q3. As these communities and many others in our top franchises continue to thrive, our subscription services like EA Access and Origin Access are bringing more players from across our network to join in.

So a 35% increase is actually a smaller growth compared to the last quarter, even if the number is strictly about PC players.
    qidpmcvgek8y.png
  • Options

I hope they make it optional as not everyone can play VR even if like me they have a pc fully capable of it. I get motion sickness badly in VR use I discovered while testing some VR for another company last year. I mean real bad. Never felt that bad ever. So definitely need that optional.

Ooooh i never considered that. I have to be already sick and dizzy to get motion sickness.
    I guess VR would be super intense for some people.
    I wonder if it effects people with epilepsy too

I don't know but there is a warning for people with epilepsy. I know if you had that issue they did not allow you to test the VR. So that says to me it is probably an issue.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    edited February 2018
    elelunicy wrote: »
    A 35% increase to the active players would be talking about those who bought The Sims 4 base game on console. The PC game is definitely not moving at that rate, it’s almost 4 years old.

Except the last quarter (July-Sept 2017) had a 40% year-to-year active player increase without the console release.
    • In The Sims 4, monthly average players are up more than 40% year-over-year, and anticipation is high for the console game launching in Q3. As these communities and many others in our top franchises continue to thrive, our subscription services like EA Access and Origin Access are bringing more players from across our network to join in.

So a 35% increase is actually a smaller growth compared to the last quarter, even if the number is strictly about PC players.

Well I just know Andrew was real pleased with the Sims 4, live service and the long term future of this franchise.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member

I hope they make it optional as not everyone can play VR even if like me they have a pc fully capable of it. I get motion sickness badly in VR use I discovered while testing some VR (HTC Vive) for another company last year. I mean real bad. Never felt that bad ever. So definitely need that optional.

One other thing is keep in mind VR wants a stellar pc system that not all Simmers have either. I am definitely running the system - the problem was me, not the pc. LOL. I know it was awesome though as I couldn't handle it but on the other hand hubby took over and I had to practically fight to get my pc back. He loved it.

I don't get motion sick from it (so far) but I did have my headset on a little crooked one time and felt queasy immediately.
    Having a VR headset has made me think about playing The Sims in VR. It would be cool to have a VR mode where you can inject yourself into the game to observe and interact with your sims. It would love if I could play mini games with my sims like bowling, ping pong, miniature golf, etc.

If would be cool if EA could use the Ansel system from Nvidia for The Sims 4.
    This allows you to take a 360 degree stereoscopic image in the game space so you can view it in VR. It's a static image, but it does a good job of putting you in the space.

I did try playing The Sims 4 on a virtual desktop inside VR. It was cool having a virtual monitor as a large as a wall, but my mouse movement was highly sensitive and I didn't bother with adjusting things to make it playable. I did hang up a few TS4 pictures in my virtual space though.
    20171123_175554_MixedReality.jpg
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Options
    PegasysPegasys Posts: 1,135 Member
    My hubby got an Oculus Rift a few months ago. He was hoping to be able to do VR in Second Life, but Linden Labs, who developed SL, decided not to make SL VR-compatible for now. He does get queasy at times, playing different games but he still enjoys it.

VR in Sims would be very cool. It would awesome to walk through our Sims' homes. Sometimes I "tab" through a home to get the feel of immersion, but VR is a whole 'nother level.
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Beyond 2025
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    4:37 P.M.

lol
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    shadyladynzshadyladynz Posts: 68 Member
    Actually was just thinking what would be cool in Sims 5 is if we could make sims using real full length photos of ourselves but dress them up and play them in the Sims world....is that weird?
    0rqatopx73kc_zpsa779gqg6.jpg?t=1509333538
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Actually was just thinking what would be cool in Sims 5 is if we could make sims using real full length photos of ourselves but dress them up and play them in the Sims world....is that weird?

I would love this. I remember my son being able to do this quite a few years ago with a golfing console game. It was really cool seeing him playing in the game. It was pretty accurate too. I've never been able to make really unique looking sims so the ability to upload photos would be nice.