Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm in shock at how bad Pets is

Comments

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    The only thing I'm in shock over is literally how entitled some people are.

Saying things like "I personally don't like Sims 4 , so the sims should have ended with sims 3."

What about the fact that I felt sims 3 was a step back? I felt that sims lacked any personality , soul or depth and had a robotic nature. I hated the straw looking hair and the doughy face/skin texture. I didn't like the World Adventures. I didn't like the Jobs Expansion . And while we had open world, I would rather have a game that runs smooth and has more endearing sims personalities.

I never liked sims 3. Iiked sims 2 better. So how does it make sense to say that because a game isnt to your liking it should not have been created? What is a step back to you, might not be to someone else.

I personaly don't hate sims 4 .IYes, I like it ,but I am annoyed with it . Because Sims 4 is supposed to be a sequel to all three games .Meaning sims 1 ,2 , and 3 . I think since the game costs money, and is not free. I should expect something good from it . I should expect to be wow. We should be able to criticise any issues, or problems with it You know why? It is a franchise that is almost 16 years old . Because its not free. and cost money. The game when it was released cost 60 s dollars. Why the expansion cost 40 bucks.

I think Sims 4 is getting better, but it had taken a lot step backward. A few steps forwards. As for bugs? Sims 4 has just as many bugs as Sims 3.The reason we critisize ,because we want the series to do better . We want the serise to grow, and be fun for a ll players.
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    edited February 2018
    @Horrorgirl6

The franchise is 18 years old, not 16, hopefully that was just a typo for you. I noticed the hate from the Sims 3 lovers too, as they do get defensive. As for my dislike of certain aspects of Sims 4, I can't verbalize since it is offensive to a certain subgroup and would get me banned. Guess staying true to my faith is hurtful in some way.

I see the last expansion as subpar, because I required more than just cats and dogs. My simself household is missing my pet birds and is sitting in my library waiting for small caged pets to be added. I am always critical of all extra DLC for the game, as I do extensive research before purchasing. Like my research between Sims 3 and Sims 4, in which I found the things people loved about Sims 3 were things I disliked. I personally bought Sims 4 before the aspects I want removed were added in free patches, so I just have to mod those out.
  • Saarah06Saarah06 Posts: 20 Member
    Atleast the sims 3 had better pets, why only cats and dogs? Give me my unicorn EA
  • ladyyepperzladyyepperz Posts: 3 New Member
    I dont know why small caged pets were excluded from CD, but ive a very good idea why the large animals were... THE TINY LOTS!! There isnt room for a backyard kids play area (with even a few the OVER SIZED objects), or even enough room for a half decent garden. So tell me, unless you are paying super rich families or using cheats to be able afford one the few largest of lots.... Where would you keep a horse?!

... And another thing! would it kill EA to make neighborhood communal areas modifiable?
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member

... And another thing! would it kill EA to make neighborhood communal areas modifiable?

Honestly probably.

The communal areas are so dull.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • TheHarbinger_51TheHarbinger_51 Posts: 1,702 Member
    edited February 2018

Saying things like "I personally don't like Sims 4 , so the sims should have ended with sims 3."

Who said this?

One of the first posts on the first page sweetie. Sure, not everybody likes or appreciates sims 4. We all have our own dislikes. But the game is selling quite well and moving along wonderfully. Theres a lot of people (most of which arent on forums) enjoying the game and eagerly awaiting any new release. There is literally NO reason to suggest that the game should not have or continue to be produced. When it is a commercial success (not an opinion here either) o:)<3
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member

Who said this?

One of the first posts on the first page sweetie. Sure, not everybody likes or appreciates sims 4. We all have our own dislikes. But the game is selling quite well and moving along wonderfully. Theres a lot of people (most of which arent on forums) enjoying the game and eagerly awaiting any new release. There is literally NO reason to suggest that the game should not have or continue to be produced. When it is a commercial success (not an opinion here either) o:)<3

Please calm down your taking this a bit personally
  • JeanBaby4JeanBaby4 Posts: 1,069 Member
    edited February 2018
    I bought the pet ep, oh sorry i ment cats and dogs on a 50% sale. Literally 30 minutes into playing this EP I thought "omg what have i done" yet another impulse buy that I very much regret. My only consolation is that i bought it at half price. This is the most disappointed ive even been with a sims pack. The animals are so hollow and one by one I excluded them from my gameplay, first the dog then the cats. But I thought hey atleast the new world is nice, which it is. But the truly interesting homelots (the ones surrounded by huge open public spaces) lag so much that I had to move to a more secluded area, i think it's because of the amount of strays. So now i dont play with pets, i dont live in the new world, that leaves the vet career which i have yet to explore. Living on a tight student budget I am furious with myself that I bought this pack. INSTANT REGRET.
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    JeanBaby4 wrote: »
    I bought the pet ep, oh sorry i ment cats and dogs on a 50% sale. Literally 30 minutes into playing this EP I thought "omg what have i done" yet another impulse buy that I very much regret. My only consolation is that i bought it at half price. This is the most disappointed ive even been with a sims pack. The animals are so hollow and one by one I excluded them from my gameplay, first the dog then the cats. But I thought hey atleast the new world is nice, which it is. But the truly interesting homelots (the ones surrounded by huge open public spaces) lag so much that I had to move to a more secluded area, i think it's because of the amount of strays. So now i dont play with pets, i dont live in the new world, that leaves the vet career which i have yet to explore. Living on a tight student budget I am furious with myself that I bought this pack. INSTANT REGRET.

Honestly for me it wouldn't take much to improve it too... Have more meaningful whims (really, they care more about buying stuff for their pets than actually interact with them, and even then it's just walking them or playing with the cat wand, unless you have a pet lover then *maybe* they'll want to pet them), more autonomous interactions (like my pet runs to my Sims when they get home and get completely ignored. My Sims just stand there and won't even pet the dog. Really???)... That alone would improve the pack for me... and really, it should have been put in the first place. Seriously, I've been keeping my camera on my new dog for 3 Sim days and all it's doing is sit around doing NOTHING, and occasionally eat and run to a Sim, only to be ignored.

That's not how dogs behave.
  • Goth583Goth583 Posts: 1,203 Member
    I have one household that has a cat and that's it. I don't even play in Brindleton Bay and haven't had the slightest inclination to do so. I'm super sorry I bought this expansion, complete waste.
    https://originalsimmer.blogspot.com - Check out my current TS4 Legacy!
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018

Who said this?

Huh? Proof/Evidence (by quoting the following statement you found in question) that somebody (or I, If you referring to mine) that implied the sims franchise should have ended at the third installment?
    Either you intentionally twisted somebodies words to met your agenda of pointlessly tricking us or are complete misunderstand (I, personally never said here that it should ended at there, but proposed that TS4 should have a better improvement than how it turned out to be at it's release up to this day).

ETA Sorry, I had missed it. It is in the first place, but not the first place. I would quote that comment, but I better not point my fingers on who did what.
    Post edited by DragonCat159 on
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • EA_LannaEA_Lanna Posts: 3,867 EA Community Manager
    I can see some pointed and thinly veiled snark are coming through in uses comments now in addition to the resurgence of The Sims 3 vs Sims 4 which is well known to be considered a baiting discussion.

If the conversation is going to continue in that direction and away from the thread topic of Pets (with focus on the negatives), then I will be closing the thread. I will be monitoring this thread closely to determine this. If you wish to continue discussing Pets, please be aware of this.
    • New Simmers, take a moment to read through this thread.
    • The Help Center is hosted on Answers HQ. Check out EA_Mage's thread on why.
    • Please post all Sims 4 Bug Reports, Technical and Gameplay issues in the AHQ Sims 4 Section.
    • Here is a quick link to The Sims forum rules
    oa2aib6yaucg.jpg

• LantiLanti Posts: 36 Member
    I'm sure all this has been said before but I, too, agree with everything the OP mentioned about Sims 4 in general. I do not own Pets and don't intend to, thank you for such a deep description of its gameplay which made me even more sure of my decision. About the game in general - and not going into Sims 3 comparisons and I hope this can be understood and not snark, I'm just sharing my opinion in a direct and honest way - what keeps me playing it are three things: CC, which is something I absolutely love and have loved since I first ever played the game, 17 years ago, and only started making my own with Sims 4; building, I think the building system in 4 is awesome, I put way more effort into my builds now and have loads of fun with it; and I also think the Sims themselves look good. Other than that, I can't find much to do in the game at all, I think all gameplay gets boring the second time you do anything (a carrer, skill, activity, etc), I miss the somewhat dark humor about life that was once a characteristic of the game, and I also strongly feel that Sims 4 is aimed at children because of several reasons: among them, the gameplay is too simple and the design style is too bright, plain, shiny and round. If it wasn't for CC I don't think I could stand to play it for 20 minutes. I stopped buying packs at City Living and the only other pack I'm ever buying is Seasons, if it comes out. Even so and with all that, I play it very often, building, making CC, creating Sims and trying to get a story and "life" on for them.
  • TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    edited February 2018
    [EA_Lanna: Removed as inappropriate. If you have moderation concerns or queries please follow the forum rules guidance and pm a moderator]

On the topic of the pets expansion, the world is my favorite. I'm a storyteller and love getting shots of the scenery. The build and buy mode are some of my favorites. I enjoy the style of furniture and decor. However, I don't find the pets enjoyable. (From what I've played) For stories, they're great and very cute but I've given up trying to actually play this game and found my enjoyment elsewhere. I definitely agree with many of sentiments expressed in this thread and would only recommend it at a highly discounted price.
    Post edited by EA_Lanna on
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited February 2018
    Pegasys wrote: »
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I like Pets and am glad I bought it.

That all being said, I didn't expect it to be really exciting - and it's not really exciting (past the initial whee, look how cute they are - and they are very cute). Even Sims 3, with all the different animals, even with the horses etc. that didn't make the game exciting. I thought the horses in Sims 3 were extremely well done but I got bored with them after a short while.

However, I think my expectations are different from other people; for me it's about expanding gameplay in more subtle and immersive ways. It's also about time management. Pets make life harder for Sims. Especially the dogs, who demand to be walked nearly every day (kinda realistic there). It's more of an overall additive effect. And yes, this makes it expensive and probably not worth it to a lot of people. Still worth it to me, though. And strange but true I am enjoying Laundry Day as much as many other packs.

Well then here's the problem with today's gamers. They pay 40€ for an E X P A N S I O N P A C K and they buy it for the subtlety of gameplay. This folks is what's making EA release this trash. That should be expected in a SP not EP. I haven't bought Cats and Dogs yet because I don't want to. I

If I have the money and I choose to spend it how I want to spend it, even if it's for something that others think should be in a stuff pack or given away for free - then it's not a problem. The gamers are not the problem. In fact, there is no problem, it's all a matter of perception.

this-is-fine.jpg

Some like it hot :blush::smiley:

I do get your point... and I agree that there could definitely be improvements. I just don't like the implication that the people who buy or like the pack are the problem.

I do think OP, whilst he was very vague as vapor on his remark, implied that he finds wrong on those behalfs of the consumers who purchased the game but still gone 🐸🐸🐸🐸 (feces cuss) and talked trash knowing right beforehand the action of purchasing foresaw how bad the product will be and how displeasure/disappointing they will end up feeling towards it. Those people are clearly - something. Not sure what adjective and classify those for such (un)guilty behavior, as surely they are all talk or what not.

And for me to not derail this thread and end up locking it because of my actions, I wanna say I agree with OP's observation. Even animation is that bad as it has many shortcuts, and speaking of cuts - pet's do sort-a jumpcut between frames without even completing their animation. In one of those gameplay previews, I recall a dog jumping/teleporting after using a toy or when pets can teleport their ball back and forth into their jaws.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Francl27Francl27 Posts: 761 Member
    Current pet peeve - my Sim dog spends HOURS just sitting doing nothing outside/in the bathroom/kitchen, whatever.
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited February 2018
    Sims 4 itself feels empty to me, I find my self just repetively doing the samething, get up go to work, eat sleep and repeat.Sims 3 had so many activities and adventures, I still haven't finished them, the only thing I really enjoy in sims 4 is the romance system, love the random calls to go out, and more autonomous options.

With Pets in Sims 4, I really dislike the lack of control of the pets.I ended up deleting my dog, because she would constantly bug my sim with this weird hug dance thing, to the point that my sim would cancel the actions I was telling her to do, dog was constantly needy despiste having the independant trait, yet lacked personality.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    If you don't like Sims 4, what makes you think its Expansions will make it better?

My main concern about Cats&Dogs is that we'll never get any more Pet-Exclusive items because such things would require the Pets expansion to use them, and not everybody buys all the Expansions.

You see, what they did with Toddlers was make them a patch, but then they brought out all these packs with lots of things for them - Kid's Room, Parenthood, Toddler Stuff, that's three packs that surely made up for the fact that Toddlers had to be free so that everybody could buy them.

So if not everybody bought Cats&Dogs, what would be the use of a pack dedicated to some sort of Pet Show? At least, not for a company like EA.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • ladyyepperzladyyepperz Posts: 3 New Member
    > @Springfairy556 said:
    > With Pets in Sims 4, I really dislike the lack of control of the pets.I ended up deleting my dog, because she would constantly bug my sim with this weird hug dance thing, to the point that my sim would cancel the actions I was telling her to do, dog was constantly needy despiste having the independant trait, yet lacked personality.

OMG! the dogs are soooo figgin needy!!! I never play with a dog any more for this very reason, but cats are okay but only because they are much more profitable.
  • 2tcn2tcn Posts: 58 Member
    Apart from not being able to train cats, I quite like the pets this iteration. The few experiences I've had with the vet were very buggy, though, which is a shame.
  • mauvejinjomauvejinjo Posts: 126 Member
    edited February 2018
    My thoughts:
    Build/Buy - The main reason I bought this expansion. There are some really nice coastal/New Englandy items that can serve outside of their own theme. (Those wooden cushioned chairs, the bay window seats, as examples.)
    CAS - Some great clothing/ hairstyle options. However, this expansion has a heavy seafaring theme; we have paintings of sailors, and yet little way of creating those same looks. Unfortunate, really especially since the ship captain looks so cool IMO and would have made an interesting playable ghost.
    PETS Am I missing something with cats? I never played TS3 Pets, but I seem to recall there being more to do with my cats in TS2 Pets and Unleashed. They're cute, I'll give them that too, and I don't mind not being able to control them, but what can they really be trained to do other than collect feathers? In Unleashed they could kill mice- a rather surprising and still fun addition. I could easily be wrong, this wasn't the selling point for me on this expansion. Looking forward to the Vets career.
    Brindleton Bay - Disappointing. What I loved about Unleashed is that even though it was a Pets expansion, you didn't need to have a pet to get a lot of enjoyment from the game. We get such a beautiful downtown in Brindleton Bay and yet it's just window dressing. So many beautiful storefronts that are only visual shells and could be easily utilized with other expansions. As a matter of fact, upon closer inspection of an otherwise stunning world, there are several faux-houses that would have made excellent playable lots and given storytellers a little more freedom in an otherwise landlocked coastal town.

No game will ever be perfect, but missed opportunities present excellent opportunities in themselves. The same way the main maps were overhauled some time ago, perhaps open up Brindleton Bay in a further patch? Make it more expansion-friendly. Would it really be that impossible? And if so, thoughts for future worlds. Not everyone will buy Cats and Dogs for the... cats and dogs. (I certainly didn't) The team spends a good amount of time making the faux-hoods pretty, but they'd be even stronger selling points if more playable.

EDIT: And I'm not trying to get into a "Which iteration of Sims is better?" Discussion. However, having purchased and played (and still play) most of the expansions of EVERY iteration of Sims, I can't help but draw on what did and did not work before.
    Post edited by mauvejinjo on
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    I’ve come to really dislike the obsessions and fears. Mostly fears, because it’s always the TV or computer. I wish there was a way to get rid of them. It might be cute to some people, but I don’t find it cute, and frankly it isn’t something I would have used had it been optional.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I’ve come to really dislike the obsessions and fears. Mostly fears, because it’s always the TV or computer. I wish there was a way to get rid of them. It might be cute to some people, but I don’t find it cute, and frankly it isn’t something I would have used had it been optional.

I agree. My pets fears are always the the computer or tv and obsessions are the fridge.

If there was a way to train your pet not to have these fears it would be useful but instead it’s just a gimmick. I also think it’s bizarre that pets have fears and sims don’t.
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    If there was a way to train your pet not to have these fears it would be useful but instead it’s just a gimmick. I also think it’s bizarre that pets have fears and sims don’t.

Not sure it would make any sense to be able to "train" a dog or cat not to be afraid of something. Real-life pets have relatively randoms fears and obsessions with household objects. If your cat is afraid of the vacuum cleaner, it's not like you can just tell the cat "hey, don't be afraid of the vacuum" and they give you a look and a nod and then they are no longer afraid of the vacuum. You can't explain to a cat or dog why they shouldn't be afraid of an object.

As for the other part of that, sims randomly afraid of household objects like TVs and computers and toilets and showers? Now, THAT is what would be bizarre, lol.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »

Not sure it would make any sense to be able to "train" a dog or cat not to be afraid of something. Real-life pets have relatively randoms fears and obsessions with household objects. If your cat is afraid of the vacuum cleaner, it's not like you can just tell the cat "hey, don't be afraid of the vacuum" and they give you a look and a nod and then they are no longer afraid of the vacuum. You can't explain to a cat or dog why they shouldn't be afraid of an object.

As for the other part of that, sims randomly afraid of household objects like TVs and computers and toilets and showers? Now, THAT is what would be bizarre, lol.

No of course not but for more obscure fears you can sometimes help them not to be so scared. For example one of my real life dogs has a fear of bikes. She would not walk past a bike period. Now she does. She's not perfect but she's getting better. Again all my pets cats and dogs have had a fear of the hair dryer but as its an every day object they see none of them now bother. I'm a dog breeder, I see lots of fears in puppies but nothing I can't work with or what I would consider abnormal.

Pet fears and sim fears would be two different things obviously. Sims 2 sims had fears. Not impossible.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top