Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Inexplicable High CPU Usage

I'm not sure if it happened after C&D EP or earlier, but lately I've been dealing with high CPU usage while playing Sims 4 – up to 220% and sometimes even more (not only when loading a save, also while playing). The fps rate is abysmal – max 20 fps in Live mode. I have a 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. I blamed my GPU for performance problems (AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB), and post-C&D I've lowered some settings (Reflections and Visual Effects to Medium, Lighting to High – but those seem to be more CPU heavy anyway), but today, after installing iStat Menus, I've noticed that GPU usage is at around 40% max, most of the time at 30%. So it seems I ran into some CPU bottleneck, which is pretty surprising given my specs. (btw, it's not Origin's fault, which runs at about 1.5% max)
Has anyone else experienced it lately?

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    lolatort wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it happened after C&D EP or earlier, but lately I've been dealing with high CPU usage while playing Sims 4 – up to 220% and sometimes even more (not only when loading a save, also while playing). The fps rate is abysmal – max 20 fps in Live mode. I have a 2,5 GHz Intel Core i7 processor with 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 RAM. I blamed my GPU for performance problems (AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2 GB), and post-C&D I've lowered some settings (Reflections and Visual Effects to Medium, Lighting to High – but those seem to be more CPU heavy anyway), but today, after installing iStat Menus, I've noticed that GPU usage is at around 40% max, most of the time at 30%. So it seems I ran into some CPU bottleneck, which is pretty surprising given my specs. (btw, it's not Origin's fault, which runs at about 1.5% max)
    Has anyone else experienced it lately?

Sounds like the OS is throttling the power although with a 2Gb GPU and i7 you should be ok. I always restart my Mac and then immediately play without opening anything else and I get much smoother gameplay with no lag. CPU isn't heavy either. Give that a try and see if it helps.

apple-signature.png
  • lolatortlolatort Posts: 38 Member
    Yeah, that's how I usually play – unfortunately it doesn't help. There's nothing else running (except for system processes), I also switch Origin to offline. I think I've noticed my first high CPU usage logs (in Console) in October, so the issue actually predates C&D.