Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What is playing with celebrities like?

Steam is having a sale and all sims 3 games and expansions are 5 bucks. Ive never played them. How is the celebrity system? I heard it can be annoying? Im thinking of buying late night.
The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.

Comments

• RodJohnRodJohn Posts: 406 Member
    I enjoy it sometimes.

Your well-known Sims get a lot of free/discounted items, which is nice. There are also moodlets that raise your Sim's mood when out in public such as "got recognized."

But I'm not really into it, overall and I sometimes consider turning it off for my town, but one of my Sims is an actress and that can be prove difficult.

I wish there was a way to turn off he celebrity system for certain households that I'm not playing because I can't stand when a regular townie starts getting celebrity stars just because they talked to a certain Sim at a bar.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I didn't care for it and turned it off in my game. The free stuff was indeed nice, but the paparazzi basically forced my sims to live in a gated house (which I didn't like) and the disgrace system is a bit harsh. You can tone down the worst of it with mods though.
  • Kilov17Kilov17 Posts: 1,795 Member
    IMO the celebrity system is great if you want/ need extra drama... It causes drama over the slightest things so... It keeps things 'interesting' I suppose. I think it is a realistic system; gives you a sims version of what REAL celebrities must go through and based on what I've seen in papers & magazines, I'd say accurate lol. EA did a great job on it... In my opinion at least as an over all opinion on it.
    Kilov17 (Gallery ID: SimOppresser)
    JrTlDGw.jpg
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    RodJohn wrote: »
    I enjoy it sometimes.
    I wish there was a way to turn off he celebrity system for certain households that I'm not playing because I can't stand when a regular townie starts getting celebrity stars just because they talked to a certain Sim at a bar.

So you can turn it off for a neighborhood? Does a townie act differently once they start earning stars?

TreyNutz wrote: »
    I didn't care for it and turned it off in my game. The free stuff was indeed nice, but the paparazzi basically forced my sims to live in a gated house (which I didn't like) and the disgrace system is a bit harsh. You can tone down the worst of it with mods though.

Is there a way to limit how many celebs are in a neighborhood or a way to lock the one who are celebs in?

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited December 2017
    There is a check box in Options that lets you opt out of the celebrity system.

You might be able to do it for specific sims with a mod from NRAAS.
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

Does a townie act differently once they start earning stars?

Yes they do. If your sim isn't a celebrity, or is a lower level celebrity, they can't socialize with anybody with more stars than them, until they impress them enough to be accepted. The higher their celebrity level, the more work it is to get them to accept your sim. And some traits they might have can make it almost impossible.

Is there a way to limit how many celebs are in a neighborhood or a way to lock the one who are celebs in?

The only way celebrities can lose their celebrity is if they are publicly disgraced. They'll also lose friends by it. But if you have NRaas Story Progression, you can make them gradually lose celebrity points if they don't do anything to keep gaining more. You can also prevent some sims from becoming celebrities or ever losing whatever celebrity level they start with, by giving them personalized Story Progression settings. You can also limit how many celebrities can be in the town.

Here's a link to the SP mod at NRaas: nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression Follow the link to the Interactions page to find out what all the mod can do. It will also tell you if any given setting you would like to use requires an add-on module. There's a lot there, and it can be overwhelming just trying to get through it, but the default settings work pretty well, so you can just start with the settings for celebrity, and let the rest alone. Then as you get used to that, if you find something else you'd like to tweak, you can gradually learn how to set it best to suit how you want to play.

It took me something like three months after I first went there and looked at the interactions page to finally add it to my game, because it was very overwhelming. But now it's totally familiar, and I tweak settings all the time.

• TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member

Not without mods. If you disable the celebrity system before starting a game then I think the only premades who will have celebrity stars will be sims in Bridgeport. Other worlds won't get celebrities unless the system is active. I don't recall whether the game seeds new games in other worlds with celebrities or not.

• ilikethesims30ilikethesims30 Posts: 556 Member
    I downloaded this mod a while ago that eliminates the need for the Celebrity System. I find the whole Celebrity system annoying, so I don't use it anymore.
  • CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    edited December 2017
    Real easy turn off celebs in options.Edit town place any amount of premade or created celeb sims you want,I use 1-2 to keep it realistic,it will not spread with celebs off.If you so desire you can be the only celeb in town but is harder more challenging to advance since other celebs are key in getting experience.Main being these milestones with any celeb even more bonus based on star level

Friend
    Good friend
    Best friend
    Kiss
    Date
    Woohoo
    Go steady
    Marriage is huge!!!!!!!!!!! exp points

But being the only celeb or attempt at celeb status if is your wish or involved in your LTW you will still get pop up opportunity events even with options off.

Most fun to create just one RL celeb in sim version and put her/him in town and try to hook up.

My celeb of the week is Julianne Hough in my towns.She is the only one and a 2 star,I can choose to use her to climb the ladder to success if needed

PrDbby0.png

EDIT: If you are a CC user/player there are tons of created celebs out there you could get one and use them in your town.To see if it exists type in Sims 3______________________ <-- Insert celeb name in a google search you will be surprised how many there are.

Post edited by CravenLestat on
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017

Not without mods. If you disable the celebrity system before starting a game then I think the only premades who will have celebrity stars will be sims in Bridgeport. Other worlds won't get celebrities unless the system is active. I don't recall whether the game seeds new games in other worlds with celebrities or not.
    I started playing BP once with the celebrity system disabled and there were no celebrities. Later I enabled it (figuring it was a nice idea to try it out again) and the celebrities in town were different sims than what Wiki says. Also they weren’t really big stars. So I guess also BP needs the system enabled too.

I find the system mainly annoying. Flaws: any sim will become famous by talking to the right people, just as fast as they would by being a movie star. In fact, career doesn’t matter at all, it’s all about talking to the right people. Or being the kid of a famous person, which makes sense to some extent but 3 stars? Really? Annoying. Another annoying thing: kids can’t speak with grantparents who are more famous than them. And they never will because there’s no way for them to impress the oldies. Viva cheating, a grantparent loves their grandkids, whether they are famous or not. Oh, and the paparazzi are a pain. Which makes sense when you play a real celebrity, but when you play a normal John Doe who accidently became famous because his parents were and his boss, it’s annoying.

By the way, regardless the celebrity system, LN is totally worth it!
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Namaya92Namaya92 Posts: 934 Member
    I love the celebrity system! It's a lot of fun to play with. Though, sometimes creepy things happen! My 1 star celeb sim was living in a houseboat and apparently the paparazzi could just walk into my house and they took pictures of my sim while she was asleep, lol!

Being a celebrity mostly gives you a bunch of extra opportunities that make you go out into the world and behave like a celeb. For example a club will call you to ask if you could order a drink at their place for a certain amount of cash. It's quite a challenge to reach 5 celeb stars, so if you are looking for something that actually makes you work hard, trying to gain 5 celeb stars can be fun. Especially when you don't have a ton of celebrities live in your town.

I also love the way other townies react around your sim when you are a celebrity. They will take pictures of your sim with their phone, ask for an autograph or just scream from excitement when your sim walks by. Besides this, people will also send you gifts through the mail so it's a nice extra income haha.

I personally like creating celeb sims who will only hang out with other celeb sims and have a VIP lifestyle together. It's also fun to combine it with the singing profession from Showtime.
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    I had it turned off for a while, but it really fits my current sim. The gifts are nice, and she doesn't have children so far she doesn't want to talk to because they're not famous enough (when she got the first one she had only 1 star herself) I put off paparazzi to nraas register though, seriously, I hate those.
    edited December 2017
    @Namaya92 That's true, the opportunities are really nice, especially when you live in Bridgeport where there are so many different clubs. I also like sneaking into a club with a sim who isn't allowed to go in there.

@GITTE2001 Active celebrities will talk to anyone because you control them. Which is why grandparents will be a problem, because quite often you don't play them anymore. So it was the kids in my active family that couldn't talk to their grandparents who lived elsewhere. What I did was fill the relationship bar using testing cheats. When you do that the famous grandparents will talk to them.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    @Namaya92 That's true, the opportunities are really nice, especially when you live in Bridgeport where there are so many different clubs. I also like sneaking into a club with a sim who isn't allowed to go in there.

I once had a sim hack into the Prosper Room's list so he could get in with his wife, who was already a celebrity. They couldn't go upstairs to the VIP room to use the hot tub though. And while they were eating at the bar, Matthew Hamming caught him and had him thrown out. He didn't even get to finish his meal!

edited December 2017
    IreneSwift wrote: »

I once had a sim hack into the Prosper Room's list so he could get in with his wife, who was already a celebrity. They couldn't go upstairs to the VIP room to use the hot tub though. And while they were eating at the bar, Matthew Hamming caught him and had him thrown out. He didn't even get to finish his meal!
    That actually sounds great, him being caught. That didn't happen to my sims (and they could use the hot tub) and I in fact was wondering if it could.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Namaya92 wrote: »
    I love the celebrity system! It's a lot of fun to play with.

Being a celebrity mostly gives you a bunch of extra opportunities that make you go out into the world and behave like a celeb. For example a club will call you to ask if you could order a drink at their place for a certain amount of cash. It's quite a challenge to reach 5 celeb stars, so if you are looking for something that actually makes you work hard, trying to gain 5 celeb stars can be fun. Especially when you don't have a ton of celebrities live in your town.

I also love the way other townies react around your sim when you are a celebrity. They will take pictures of your sim with their phone, ask for an autograph or just scream from excitement when your sim walks by. Besides this, people will also send you gifts through the mail so it's a nice extra income haha.

I personally like creating celeb sims who will only hang out with other celeb sims and have a VIP lifestyle together. It's also fun to combine it with the singing profession from Showtime.

That sounds really fun. Thanks for sharing :)

IreneSwift wrote: »

That actually sounds great, him being caught. That didn't happen to my sims (and they could use the hot tub) and I in fact was wondering if it could.

It's been a couple of years, so the details are a bit fuzzy, but I think the reason they couldn't go into the VIP room was because his wife wasn't a big enough celebrity. I don't remember even trying to get him in there, since she couldn't go in. In fact, I think he himself must have been a low level celebrity, but not enough to get into the Prosper Room, because I am pretty sure he was publicly disgraced for it. Another thing I do remember is that the bouncer for one of the rooms was his ex-girlfriend from before he married my sim. He was Barry Tenderlove.
    After playing, its too easy to become a celebrity ;; I didnt really have to do much to be a level 3. Just said hi to some people in college and made friends ;;

• filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    After playing, its too easy to become a celebrity ;; I didnt really have to do much to be a level 3. Just said hi to some people in college and made friends ;;

In my experience I don’t find the celebrity system to be all too game changing by any means, sure it has its perks and it’s downfalls, but my gameplay style is generally the same when I’m a celebrity or when I’m not a celebrity, except for the occasional dramatic outbreak and I lose friends and all that nonsense.
  • PeteDoxtaderPeteDoxtader Posts: 1 New Member
    I have always ignored the celebrity system, but when I installed the game recently I decided to play it completely differently for once, just to see how game choices I would never have made would be to play - and I have to say that it worked out amazingly. I made an evil, inappropriate, child hating sim and decided to play it for a while. Initially, it was a lot of fun just because of the trouble my sim caused and got into - but that got old after a while (and caused more trouble for him then it was worth) and I had to turn his free will completely off.

One of the things I decided to try just because I had never done it before was working my two sim's celebrity status to 5 stars (my evil sim married). I quickly realized that as a 5 star celebrity, many more opportunities are thrown at you for your high level skills, and when you add the Lifetime Opportunity Reward "Opportunistic", the dollar (simolean?) value of the rewards is doubled. When you combine that with the constant gifts, your sim never has to work, and the money builds up like crazy. Recently my 5 star evil sim was given a CAR, and I sold it immediately for more then 100k.

Someone in an earlier post griped that the disgrace system is a pain... but I think what you guys don't realize is that the disgrace system is a money maker. I love it when my sims are accused of misbehaving in public. It means I can sue and make 4k - 8k in an afternoon. Yes, sometimes you don't win. But then you just sue again immediately, and I have only ever lost once.

I almost never get my sims a job. I find having a job limiting and inconvenient. There are too many better ways to make money - like hacking for instance. I have never seen a post online that says hacking is worthwhile, but my evil sim is a computer wiz / hacker, and he makes 3.5k - 5k per night (using the best computer and having a level 10 logic).

Anyway... that's my 2 cents.
  • KrazyKrick01KrazyKrick01 Posts: 1 New Member
    Is there a way to get past a sim needing to introduce themselves? I have a sim I want to introduce to another sim who just HAPPENS to be a celebrity. I've tried modifying their relationship and even lowering their celebrity stars to not being a celebrity, but it still requires a basic "introduce self". Any way to make socializing POSSIBLE?
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    @KrazyKrick01 What would be the point of celebrities if they weren't on a distance from regular people? :tongue:

If you are playing Sims 3, they need to be impressed by your sim to be able to socialize with. Here are two good guides for celebrity gameplay in Sims 3:

Carl's Sims 3 forum
    https://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/latenight/celebritystars.php

Sims 3 wiki
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/Celebrity_status

If the change in celebrity status did not take maybe exiting the game and deleting the cashes in the Sims Folder might make it so.

If you play Sims 4, Carl's got a guide on Get Famous EP too
    https://www.carls-sims-4-guide.com/expansionpacks/getfamous/

Posting in the Sims 4 section of the forum would get better answers for that game.