Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why do we hate on TS4?

Comments

• ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    ehaught58 wrote: »
    Erpe wrote: »
    Stef024 wrote: »
    I don't hate the game but I'm also not in love with it.

I have played The Sims since the beginning. Yeah i'm old :-p.
    Compared to al the other games there is a lot wrong with The Sims 4.

The bugs are one thing, but the thing that irritates me the most right now is the new expansion pack Cats and Dogs that you CAN'T control your frinkin' pet!? Who the hell thought that was a good idea?
    I want to control my pet when my sims are at work. Now it just sits/standing somewhere doing nothing.
    And we pay quitte much for the expansion packs/game play packs and I personally think we are not getting what we are paying for.

In previous post there's a lot of talk about dining out that sims don't keep to there seats and just dine out! I have that same problem and it really gets on my nerves also that after one plate of food my sim is to tired to eat a second plate and after one drink they have to go to the bathroom or they burst. Being outside of your own lot the needs of my sim drops really fast. You can't really enjoy being out of your own lot.

I sometimes have the idea that EA never listens to our idea's/complaints/suggestions to boost up the game.
    What I still really want in the game is to have a sim move out and not the way as it is now where you have to force your sim out of the household.
    I thought it was in the Sims 3 that when a sims turns young adult you got the option on the computer/phone to move out, that was perfect!
    I would say that even stronger because to me it is obvious that EA never listens. Instead EA just considers what the main target group (very young “teen” girls) would need to want the game which for TS4 was an easy, happy, simple game with autonomous behavior and a little built-in multitasking. You give one of the examples yourself when you mention that cats and dogs can’t be controlled by us in TS4 because nobody wanted that and EA knew. But EA obviously thought that it was what new very young simmers needed. They don’t control their pets in their real lives and they aren’t experienced gamers. So maybe they would feel the game more realistic if they couldn’t control them in the game either? Besides that TS4 was from the beginning about autonomous behavior and multitasking. So autonomously behaving pets suited that idea perfectly.

The only people in EA who listens just a little are a few of the gurus in this forum. But even though they are developers they aren’t the people who take any of the main decisions. EA obviously decides almost everything and the developers don’t have much freedom to design the game themselves. Instead all EA’s main decisions about the game seem clearly to be decided by EA’s marketing experts who don’t seem to think that ideas in this forum are relevant at all because the main target group are new young simmers who don’t use the forum yet anyway.

So good luck whith your ideas! You sure will need it if you want EA to change just a couple of very small minor details in the game!

I completely agree with this. And if it is incorrect, it is time for EA to speak up and set the record straight as to why we are where we are. If not, we are left with speculating, and that will end up being their downfall.
    I don’t think that we ever will get a more straight answer from EA than SimGuruDrake’s statement about teenage girls being the main target group because EA doesn’t want to tell us not to play the game and EA can’t tell us if EA considers preteen girls as included in the target group because the ESRB has given the game a T rating (and EA of course doesn’t want to provoke the ESRB). Most simmers in the forum want to ignore all this and wishfully think that they are the target group themselves in spite of SimGuruDrake’s statement (which is very okay with me).

Why did EA ignore the forum when they designed TS4? Why does EA still ignore the forum when they design the new expansions? We saw this again for Cats&Dogs where horses were omitted and where we can’t control the pets anymore. But EA for sure will just continue to ignore the forum and design also future expansions and TS5 in their own way (and still targeted mostly at very young girls). So why?

If we compare the number of simmers in this forum with the usual sales numbers for Sims games then I don’t think that it is quite so surprising anymore because we are only a few hundred in the forum while the game is sold in millions of copies. Half of the forum also seem to be simmers who just buy everything no matter what and the others still buy a lot too anyway. So EA can likely at most lose very few hundreds of simmers here in the forum which doesn’t really matter very much because many times more interesting for EA is why the newer versions of the Sims games still sell a few million copies less than TS1 did? How can EA get enough new simmers as customers for the next big Sims game for this to change? I think that it is such questions that have motivated EA to focus so extremely much on getting new young girls as customers and mostly ignore all suggestions from the hardcore veteran simmers in the forum. But how should we be able to change that?
  • CringecrewCringecrew Posts: 150 Member
    edited December 2017
    I dunno why but for some reason I get really tense when thinking about making a realistic loving normal family in Sims 4. The reason why is because Sims 4 isn't realistic enough for me! It's going to be so odd to see your kid's grandparent reading on his latest phone and not on the newspaper. And I don't have a family feeling like I did for Sims 3 since entering into people houses were more realistic in Sims 3! Sims 3 the sim would come up to shake your sim's hand to let you in but would not answer if it's the middle of the night or if the sim is out!

While in Sims 4 there's a notification coming up saying "Come on in!" Even when it's 3:30AM. I only use Sims 4 to make cartoon characters and make stories about them mixed with some families into it too. Parenthood improved the Sims 4 kids but it just isn't realistic enough like it should be. Idk why but the first time my kid was taken away, my Sim didn't got any sad moodlet. She just saw her kid disappeared in to thin air while having a big grin on her face.

About the moodlets, if you're sim experience a love one dying, they would get a moodlet right? Then they will become happy if they get a nice cooked meal or something on the same day their loved one died! I remembered it wasn't like that in Sims 3. Though in Sims 3 you could get good traits while your Sim is sad for a good reason, it would never go up to change your Sim's mood until 2 days later.

I tried making a normal family in Sims 4 but it really wasn't that fun tbh. I remember the good times in Sims 3 when all my sims and their family went out on a picnic, the cousins were playing, the aunts and uncles were chatting and the grandparents were too. And I remember the dogs and cats playing around on the picnic area. I don't get that family vibe in Sims 4 anymore which makes me really disapointed.
    latest?cb=20060827184625

• CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    edited December 2017
    aricarai wrote: »

Why does it have to be either or (not that these things are on the same level)? That seems to happen a lot with this iteration.

This is the question that I ask myself every day. What happened to the choices in this game? There are so few options now -- from something as big as having the option to play in a different world, down to the smallest option of paper or plastic (phone). :)

Oddly enough, EA put all the option in CAS and CAP and forgot to put that full range of choice into the rest of the game.

Edited to add: You've been doing a really good job of pointing out the areas where this game needs work. Thank you. ;)
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    Cynna wrote: »

Why does it have to be either or (not that these things are on the same level)? That seems to happen a lot with this iteration.

This is the question that I ask myself every day. What happened to the choices in this game? There are so few options now -- from something as big as having the option to play in a different world, down to the smallest option of paper or plastic (phone). :)

Oddly enough, EA put all the option in CAS and CAP and forgot to put that full range of choice into the rest of the game.

Edited to add: You've been doing a really good job of pointing out the areas where this game needs work. Thank you. ;)

You're welcome. I'm definitely not blind to what this iteration does well, but there are so many things that I wish were done differently or weren't missing. I think if things are to change for the future, people need to remain vocal but do it in a manner that is respectful. Wanting change or different things is not bashing or hate and it really irks me when people see it as such. I want to love this game as much as all of the other ones but for me, personally, the cons outweigh the pros.

You're welcome. I'm definitely not blind to what this iteration does well, but there are so many things that I wish were done differently or weren't missing. I think if things are to change for the future, people need to remain vocal but do it in a manner that is respectful. Wanting change or different things is not bashing or hate and it really irks me when people see it as such. I want to love this game as much as all of the other ones but for me, personally, the cons outweigh the pros.

You and I are of the same mind on this, it seems. I want to love this game, too.

So far, it's only been meh. In order to enjoy it in any manner, I've had to change my entire way of playing. I no longer play the game because I find it so lacking. So, with all the poses and things out there, I've decided to turn it into a storytelling tool. I use the game as a type of movie set, I guess.

Still, I would like to be entertained by the game play again. That's what this was supposed to be about -- the game play. I'm just not there yet. I don't know if I ever will be. Each EP keeps me hoping but, already in the fourth year, hope is all but gone. Giving feedback is the only way that I ever have any hope of seeing a game that will make me love it again.

I do not love Sims 4, but I do love the Sims series. That's why I'm still here. If I hated it, I wouldn't be wasting my time posting about it.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Elrich91Elrich91 Posts: 13 New Member
    Honestly, I do not hate Ts4, but it constantly bores me. It has beautiful graphics, beautiful scenery and good possibilities for creating sim. Stop it. It all ends here.

There is no interaction with the surrounding world, there are no consequences, there is no variety and there is no possibility of creating truly captivating stories.

An example is that in Ts 3 and Ts2, many png people often arrived at home and created situations of various kinds. Now at the most other sim come to visit, but nothing special.

No thieves, no police, no postman. In addition, the sims in the scenario do not seem to live their own life, at most walking or jogging. Their stories do not intersect with mine.

Also in ts4 I never need or want to leave the house. No lot offers something that you can not have at home. Shopping is irrelevant, everything can be bought from the catalog. I would have seen well the supermarkets, shops with clothes that are not present in CAS and things like that. Maybe even hidden corners of the map with curiosity or other.

The prize shop is irrelevant, not updated by a lot. No strange tract, no interesting prize. In ts3 for example there were special items to be purchased or traits that customized the sim in a particular way.

The aspirations are few, they have very few additions. When you own The sims 4 from the exit it is useless to continue to conclude the aspirations, by now you know them all. Why repeat the same things to infinity forever? after a while it becomes boring. In the old sims I have never completed all the aspirations because there were so many and every time I created a new interesting and stimulating game.

The careers are all very flat. Active ones get tired soon. The investigator always repeats the same tasks, in ts3 instead there were cases to be solved with their own story.

At the end the sims 4 is simply: create a sim, get married, make children, get old, die, start all over again.

And before I get asked, I do not play the sims 3 because it's a really buggy and crashing game. I would like to see the possibilities of the sims 4 become real and have the same level of fun I had in the sims 3.
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

You and I are of the same mind on this, it seems. I want to love this game, too.

So far, it's only been meh. In order to enjoy it in any manner, I've had to change my entire way of playing. I no longer play the game because I find it so lacking. So, with all the poses and things out there, I've decided to turn it into a storytelling tool. I use the game as a type of movie set, I guess.

Still, I would like to be entertained by the game play again. That's what this was supposed to be about -- the game play. I'm just not there yet. I don't know if I ever will be. Each EP keeps me hoping but, already in the fourth year, hope is all but gone. Giving feedback is the only way that I ever have any hope of seeing a game that will make me love it again.

I do not love Sims 4, but I do love the Sims series. That's why I'm still here. If I hated it, I wouldn't be wasting my time posting about it.

That’s how I feel. I feel sad almost that I don’t enjoy the sims 4 the way I do the others. But I can’t pretend either. I can play maybe once/twice a week for maybe an hour or two and I’m bored. I thought maybe I had outgrown the series but I can pour hours into the sims 1,2 and 3 so I’m certain it not that.

I believe the devs need feedback. It saddens me what this game has become and if there is any future sims games maybe they will be different.
  • Elrich91Elrich91 Posts: 13 New Member
    Oh, I forgot something in my previous post: the sims 4 is too slow to give new content, even tiny. Do you really need another 4 years to have the spiral staircases? They would have had to be present already in the basic game. We waited 3 years and more for the round roofs ... seriously?

I repeat, I do not hate the sims 4 but it seems that they do things to the minimum possible and without too much effort. This is very discouraging.
    edited December 2017

That’s how I feel. I feel sad almost that I don’t enjoy the sims 4 the way I do the others. But I can’t pretend either. I can play maybe once/twice a week for maybe an hour or two and I’m bored. I thought maybe I had outgrown the series but I can pour hours into the sims 1,2 and 3 so I’m certain it not that.

I believe the devs need feedback. It saddens me what this game has become and if there is any future sims games maybe they will be different.

Feedback is crucial.

The way that I see it, EA is playing a numbers game right now. TPTB seem to be searching for some kind of sweet spot. They're trying to see just how far they can gut the core of the game before people finally start being driven off. Which is what happened with SimCity. Then EA just took their ball and went home, so to speak. Instead of improving and learning from mistakes, they canceled the series.

I don't want to see that happen here, that's why I fight in my own way for this series by giving feedback and trying to convey exactly what it is I believe will keep the series alive and thriving. In this particular case, I honestly believe that options is the saving grace of a game that's an open-ended, sandbox of a god game.

Marketing sold the game by promising "You Rule" then they delivered something totally different. If they really have interest in having a successful series with continued longevity, they shouldn't stray too far from what made it great in the first place.

I hope someone at EA gives a dang. Though, they have killed so many other successful series, I don't really believe that such a person exists. At least, not someone will a job description that will matter.

Still, we need to try.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member

Feedback is crucial.

The way that I see it, EA is playing a numbers game right now. TPTB seem to be searching for some kind of sweet spot. They're trying to see just how far they can gut the core of the game before people finally start being driven off. Which is what happened with SimCity. Then EA just took their ball and went home, so to speak. Instead of improving and learning from mistakes, they canceled the series.

I don't want to see that happen here, that's why I fight in my own way for this series by giving feedback and trying to convey exactly what it is I believe will keep the series alive and thriving. In this particular case, I honestly believe that options is the saving grace of a game that's an open-ended, sandbox of a god game.

Marketing sold the game by promising "You Rule" then they delivered something totally different. If they really have interest in having a successful series with continued longevity, they shouldn't stray too far from what made it great in the first place.

I hope someone at EA gives a dang. Though, they have killed so many other successful series, I don't really believe that such a person exists. At least, not someone will a job description that will matter.

Still, we need to try.

I completely agree. Sadly You Rule doesn't apply but I think weirder stories definitely does. Not in a good way.
  • meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    The game has gotten better, but it still bores me at times. For me it's mainly the world. The closed world and lack of world customization kills it for me. Open neighborhoods I can swallow, but let me at least add a little something new to the canvas of our worlds. I get bored of constantly seeing the same settings. Generation after generation.

Last but not least, are the sims' personalities. I want more diversity in the sims personality. Merely having 3 traits stinks as you have a greater probability of meeting a sim sharing at least 2 of the 3 traits from your active sim. I'm not really in to that astrology stuff, but I think at least adding zodiac system along with traits would've helped, like in TS3.
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    Gruffman wrote: »
    Content and releases. There are times that the game gets ... stagnant with the releases of new content. Add in the price of that content ( EP's costing as much as the base game currently ) with the questionable quality of the content leaves us consumers ... angry. I paid "X" amount for the base game ... now I have to pay that same amount for cats/dogs to make the game feel more complete. That would be acceptable if the thing being released was so ... perfect and flawless, and it just isn't.

Bad decisions, with no logical reasons why. I will use City Living ... which is a great EP, provided you live only in San Myshuno. You can't have apartments in any other city ... why. I can't build an apartment building ... again, why. If I want to have the upstairs of a house be an apartment, I can't. I can't give keys out to other sims unless I own an apartment. So much of a great opportunity just wasted. I can't customize my areas, I can't build as I want to. I can't place things in common areas. I can't modify any of the structures ... no.

I can't wait for seasons to come out ... it makes me wonder if seasons will be tied to a specific town, just like city living and apartments. Sadly, I can see that happening with the way everything else for the game has been done.
    In all it’s years, TS4 just feels hallow. Beautiful but empty, just like the background neighborhoods of the game.

I have TS2 Castaway on wii and you can’t gave children, no jobs, there’s loading screens, objectives, etc. But I had more fun with that game than I do TS4. I played it for hours and when I “beat” the game, I would play it all over again.
    TS4, has more options and I can play it for hours, but I don’t feel like I’m really accomplishing anything. I’m not saying the limited wii version is better but in TS4, if I’m doing something with objectives, they take the fun out because I’m focusing on completing them and if I don’t, than it might result in a bad date, poor party, or low wages. I’m glad events have no objective option, I just wish Active careers were the same.

TS4 is missing something and I don’t think it’s just content. I feel like, even if they added all the content from previous games, the heart of the game wouldn’t be there. Unless they did huge overhaul on traits, memory, emotions, and townie interactions.

But speaking of content: City Living infuriates me to this day. I wish I hadn’t paid full price on it. The pack looks lovely and has nice features but it wasn’t worth $40 to me. Festivals got old fast. The completions aren’t even competitions because outside the Geek Festival, no one looks like they’re participating. Like why couldn’t the spicy food competition have sims sit in the same table and Kaoreoke Contest but no one wants to sing

And I hope that Seasons is not tied to a world. I don’t think it will be but if it does I will be furious. At least Sims Freeplay gave weather machines and royal weather decrees.
    I’ll be annoyed if I see full on snow in Oasis, that just screams lazy if they can’t differentiate weather and climates, especially when there’s a mod that does that

Sims4 has so much potential... but it won’t live up to it :disappointed:
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

• Amistri2016Amistri2016 Posts: 65 Member
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > alexandrea wrote: »
    >
    > aricarai wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > For someone who flip flops between liking the game and not, I think it's a bit ironic that you ask what can they do better.
    >
    > You said you can't get furniture in any color under the sun in real life and then when I say you can, you want to give a specific example where it probably isn't possible? Just to prove you're right?
    >
    > So because mods saved the game before, it's ok for them to continue to do so? I think mods should be used to enhance gameplay not fix the game. Do I used them and praise modders for what they do - of course, it takes hard work but I don't think mods and cc should always be the default answer.
    >
    > What did they invest their time in that really mattered? Apartments? Emotions? Multitasking? They did a heck of a job on CAS and some building features but they took away a lot more. You have to remember not everyone plays the same way.
    >
    > Running on lower end machines was definitely a selling point. I can dig up something if you'd like proof but a simple Google search will turn this up for you. No you were talking about cellphones and the lack of newspapers being about moving along with technology of today whereas I'm talking about the actual engine of the game. TS4's engine definitely doesn't take advantage of 2017 technology - hence why I brought up the fact that gurus have said that things couldn't be implemented due to technology. So no, we aren't talking about the same technology at all.
    >
    > Again, it's not about just the newspapers. It's about things missing from the game and having options. What is wrong with having options for the game? Why are you so deadset against options? Why does it have to be either or? Why should I have to download CC to play the game the way that I want? You are aware that the slogan for this game is: You Rule. How is that true if I can't play the way I want?
    >
    > So let me get this straight: basically you're saying that you're ok with being dictated to about how you play your game and you think this game is perfect without room for improvements? And anyone who suggests improvements or would like to see things implemented are haters and complainers?
    >
    > If you didn't want anyone engaging in conversation with you and possibly having a difference of opinion than you - which is bound to happen - then what was the point of making this thread?
    >
    >
    >
    > I asked because you said they could improve. TS4 has nothing to improve on to be quite honest with you.
    >
    > Give me the name of a place where you can get your furniture and whatever color you want? I'll wait...
    >
    > The rest is irrelevant... The proof is in the pudding. Ea is doing just fine and TS4 is great.
    >
    >
    >
    > Well...
    >
    >
    >
    > It’s kind of striking how the perspective of a Sims 4 fan clearly is that of the following consumer, without even being able to imagine the other side of designing. As if there’s no other way to look at this. But some people love to be designers in this game. alexandrea wrote: »
    >
    > @Moderator_Anna554 Please close this thread.
    >
    >
    >
    > Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you do something like this before...? Starting a topic and then, when it didn’t exactly go your way, ask for it to be closed? Next time you might think before you post. Start off a bit differently for instance. Like, without the ‘because the predecessor was so awful’ routine. Why does Sims 4 still need that approach anyway?

You explained exactly my play style. I may not be an architect in real life but I am every single time I design a home in my head & build it. It allows me to tap into my inner interior designer as well. I usually use other sims from the gallery to test my builds. I am not very good at storytelling because I am not a fan of having to operate every single sim in my household. I just want to operate my own & let the other do their thing like in real life but that may just be me.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2017
    > @JoAnne65 said:
    > alexandrea wrote: »
    >
    > aricarai wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    > For someone who flip flops between liking the game and not, I think it's a bit ironic that you ask what can they do better.
    >
    > You said you can't get furniture in any color under the sun in real life and then when I say you can, you want to give a specific example where it probably isn't possible? Just to prove you're right?
    >
    > So because mods saved the game before, it's ok for them to continue to do so? I think mods should be used to enhance gameplay not fix the game. Do I used them and praise modders for what they do - of course, it takes hard work but I don't think mods and cc should always be the default answer.
    >
    > What did they invest their time in that really mattered? Apartments? Emotions? Multitasking? They did a heck of a job on CAS and some building features but they took away a lot more. You have to remember not everyone plays the same way.
    >
    > Running on lower end machines was definitely a selling point. I can dig up something if you'd like proof but a simple Google search will turn this up for you. No you were talking about cellphones and the lack of newspapers being about moving along with technology of today whereas I'm talking about the actual engine of the game. TS4's engine definitely doesn't take advantage of 2017 technology - hence why I brought up the fact that gurus have said that things couldn't be implemented due to technology. So no, we aren't talking about the same technology at all.
    >
    > Again, it's not about just the newspapers. It's about things missing from the game and having options. What is wrong with having options for the game? Why are you so deadset against options? Why does it have to be either or? Why should I have to download CC to play the game the way that I want? You are aware that the slogan for this game is: You Rule. How is that true if I can't play the way I want?
    >
    > So let me get this straight: basically you're saying that you're ok with being dictated to about how you play your game and you think this game is perfect without room for improvements? And anyone who suggests improvements or would like to see things implemented are haters and complainers?
    >
    > If you didn't want anyone engaging in conversation with you and possibly having a difference of opinion than you - which is bound to happen - then what was the point of making this thread?
    >
    >
    >
    > I asked because you said they could improve. TS4 has nothing to improve on to be quite honest with you.
    >
    > Give me the name of a place where you can get your furniture and whatever color you want? I'll wait...
    >
    > The rest is irrelevant... The proof is in the pudding. Ea is doing just fine and TS4 is great.
    >
    >
    >
    > Well...
    >
    >
    >
    > It’s kind of striking how the perspective of a Sims 4 fan clearly is that of the following consumer, without even being able to imagine the other side of designing. As if there’s no other way to look at this. But some people love to be designers in this game. alexandrea wrote: »
    >
    > @Moderator_Anna554 Please close this thread.
    >
    >
    >
    > Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t you do something like this before...? Starting a topic and then, when it didn’t exactly go your way, ask for it to be closed? Next time you might think before you post. Start off a bit differently for instance. Like, without the ‘because the predecessor was so awful’ routine. Why does Sims 4 still need that approach anyway?

You explained exactly my play style. I may not be an architect in real life but I am every single time I design a home in my head & build it. It allows me to tap into my inner interior designer as well. I usually use other sims from the gallery to test my builds. I am not very good at storytelling because I am not a fan of having to operate every single sim in my household. I just want to operate my own & let the other do their thing like in real life but that may just be me.
    I only am in Sims 3, in Sims 4 I greatfully rely on what others share in the gallery. And one of the aspects I love about building, is the constant awareness a sim is going to live there (which is both challenging and limiting ;)). The roommate system in TS3 would be perfect for you. It enables you to just control one sim, and still you run a household with seven other sims (who take care of themselves). I like controlling more than one sim, but my recent (first) roommate experience is great too.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Elrich91 wrote: »
    Honestly, I do not hate Ts4, but it constantly bores me. It has beautiful graphics, beautiful scenery and good possibilities for creating sim. Stop it. It all ends here.

There is no interaction with the surrounding world, there are no consequences, there is no variety and there is no possibility of creating truly captivating stories.

An example is that in Ts 3 and Ts2, many png people often arrived at home and created situations of various kinds. Now at the most other sim come to visit, but nothing special.

No thieves, no police, no postman. In addition, the sims in the scenario do not seem to live their own life, at most walking or jogging. Their stories do not intersect with mine.

Also in ts4 I never need or want to leave the house. No lot offers something that you can not have at home. Shopping is irrelevant, everything can be bought from the catalog. I would have seen well the supermarkets, shops with clothes that are not present in CAS and things like that. Maybe even hidden corners of the map with curiosity or other.

The prize shop is irrelevant, not updated by a lot. No strange tract, no interesting prize. In ts3 for example there were special items to be purchased or traits that customized the sim in a particular way.

The aspirations are few, they have very few additions. When you own The sims 4 from the exit it is useless to continue to conclude the aspirations, by now you know them all. Why repeat the same things to infinity forever? after a while it becomes boring. In the old sims I have never completed all the aspirations because there were so many and every time I created a new interesting and stimulating game.

The careers are all very flat. Active ones get tired soon. The investigator always repeats the same tasks, in ts3 instead there were cases to be solved with their own story.

At the end the sims 4 is simply: create a sim, get married, make children, get old, die, start all over again.

And before I get asked, I do not play the sims 3 because it's a really buggy and crashing game. I would like to see the possibilities of the sims 4 become real and have the same level of fun I had in the sims 3.

Excellent post, this highlights exactly how I feel about TS4, too.

It would be wonderful if The Sims 3 was more stable. Its instability, bugs, and lagginess on my end prevents me from enjoying it, so I am limited to The Sims 2, which is still an awesome game, 12 years later. It would be nice to finally have a successor which could replace The Sims 2 for me though. The route they have gone with The Sims 4 is definitely the wrong one towards achieving this.
  • VraieVraie Posts: 196 Member
    I forget who mentioned this above, but sims obsessed with their phones? That's probably the most realistic game feature in the whole thing, to be honest. It's how 90% of the population behave in real life these days and yeah, it's annoying. It seems like the sims got that right ;)

...Ok, so I have some confusions about this too. Not least that I swear I already posted in this thread, and apparently I somehow didn't.

I don't have a problem with people disliking or criticising the sims 4. Everyone has the right to their opinions, that's the beauty of the internet. The issues I have is when it turns into flaming, like it's some kind of factional war that you have to choose sides in (I'm not going to), or when people assume that because they think something is wrong with the game, absolutely everyone else must feel the same and EA must immediately change it or the whole experience is ruined. (My pet peeve in this regard are the people who didn't buy the Vampire pack for the Vampires and who want those of us who did to lose or risk or sacrifice our gameplay so they can get the Vampire pack without the Vampires).

A lot of things twitch at me in the sims 4. But I grew up with the Sims 1 and 2. And I feel like there's so much rose-tinted memory and particularly short memories to what it was like when the sims 2 was the current game. I know a lot of people still play it. I still have it installed on my old Desktop PC, but I am not unrealistic about the game I remember playing.

The things I loved about sims 2? The memories. Family trees. Genetics. The aliens. The acknowledgement of death and the fact that it was more possible to die from things.

But the sims 2 had a lot of bugs as well. If you played it as the game packs came out, those bugs were things everyone was aware of and complained about bitterly for weeks, months after a new pack or an issue. There were tons of mods made to correct issues that the gameplay had, and sometimes I think people forget that they played back then pre-patched games with mods that resolved certain issues. Sometimes people even played with mods they didn't know they had, because downloading a new household would also bring in custom content and mods and that could wreck your whole game. I had sims get stuck in walls, on roofs, with their faces stuck in dance mode...and oh my goodness, the problems trying to create anything but a nuclear family (albeit same gender was fine). What if you had a step-parent? The moment any affection was shown between parent and step-parent, the kids went nuclear. That might be realistic in some family situations, but not every single time.

The vampires in the sims 2 were also in my opinion quite dull by comparison to TS4. I never really played with them much in TS2, but I really like them in TS4. And the real problem of TS2 was the vast number of expansion packs. In the end that kind of broke the game for me...and when I reinstall, I choose the packs I like most, not all of them together. I guess some people are playing TS2 still with all those packs, but then if that's the case, and you're unhappy about the content deficit in TS4 by comparison, it's paralleling a finished product with one still in construction. In short, I understand loving the sims 2. I don't understand the mysterious representation of it as a perfect product. It wasn't.

The thing for me is that comparing the games is a bit futile. Each has different things that it does well and badly, but they are meant to be separate games. I think one of the biggest reasons that people are unhappy with elements of TS4 is that some people want the same exact stuff in the same exact format as the older games, just with an updated style and graphics and extra content. Whereas I think that EA (rightly or wrongly, but with a target audience in mind) reinvented the franchise for TS3 and TS4 to try and establish them as different kinds of sim games from the Sims 2.

I'm also not much for realistic gameplay. I get to live real life. I don't need to relive it in the game. I like the quirky weird that the games throw up. I didn't get on well with Sims 3 but it doesn't make it a bad game. It didn't suit my PC and I didn't like the format so much as TS2, but I respect the openworld fans for whom it was a step up. I think, reading threads on here about things that people are very invested in, I'm quite a laid back player. I let my sims decide mostly how they play, and for me I don't think TS4 is limited in gameplay. I think it depends on your focus and your angle in how you play the game, and how you make use of its features. It takes a human imagination to create a story in the Sims, and we're all capable of doing that. But if your imagination tells a story that fits TS2 format better than TS4, then obviously you're going to like TS2 better overall.

I disagree that there's no scope for creating a proper story in TS4. I have several and most of them happened because of tiny things between sims that exploded into possibilities for other interactions and pathways. I feel like in a lot of ways TS4 has more opportunity to create those stories. It makes me sad when people say it's not possible. If it wasn't possible, I wouldn't be playing the game, as that's basically my only requirement for a sims game - that I can create a good story and characters. I don;t care about building or CAS or anything else, really. So the stories are there. Saying they aren't just suggests to me that this isn't the franchise that suits your storytelling, not that the opportunities don't exist at all. I know a lot of people like very microscopic control over their Sims, and I think maybe if that's the case, TS4 might not be for you.

I think people need to take a breath and just let a lot of these things go. Focus on getting actual bugs ironed out and accept that TS4 is what it is. I bypassed TS3 because it wasn't for me. It's not a big deal or a bad thing if you choose to do that for TS4. But I just don't understand why there are some people (I think a minority, but they are on this forum if not in this thread) whose main interest is to try and make others feel bad for liking one or other of the franchise games. I have seen outright abusive comments and mocking of people who say they like the Sims 4 and really, it's not anyone's place to tell anyone they're right or wrong about liking a game. Everyone is an individual. We all have individual likes and dislikes and there is no way that any sims game is going to appeal 100% to 100% of the fanbase 100% of the time. It's basically impossible.

Going back to the original question, though, we're also hard on TS4 because human beings by nature complain. We like to find fault with things. I think complaining is fine, we learn a lot from it and sometimes it exposes bugs that then get fixed. But sometimes it crosses that line of acceptable behaviour and that's not cool.

I have a lot of twitchy issues with the Sims 4 but they pretty much relate to bugs. I am happy accepting the game for what it is, not as a shadow of its predecessors or anything else. It is what it is.
  • aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    @Vraie - there were people that wanted the Vampire pack without vampires? That seems a bit odd. I've heard of people buying packs for certain items but knowing that it would come with the main features was something they accepted.

I'm more of a builder than a player, so for example, I wasn't that fussed on Into the Future (or Supernatural for that matter), I just wanted the build/buy items that came with them. When I first got the packs, I checked out the Future world (and supernatural life states) a little bit, but I don't regret my purchases even though I don't use the gameplay features. I wouldn't expect those packs to come without the main features of them simply because I only wanted the items that came with them. That seems really selfish.
  • CupcakeWitchCupcakeWitch Posts: 542 Member
    @aricarai from what I have read, I think they just wanted a toggle, like an off switch. Honestly, in my opinion, if you don’t want vampires don’t buy vampires or don’t request no vampire interactions period because that defeats the purpose of the pack. I am pro toggling because each player plays differently. I know there are players who do play with supernaturals on one save but don’t on another so I think a switch would be nice to have.
    Thank goodness for MCCC because while I love vampires, my game was generating too much at one point
    tumblr_m5yfcmiKZM1r6uev5.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top