Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Kudos Gurus. The VET Career is what Dine Out and GTW should have been

It is possible to learn from past mistakes or poor decisions. From the trailer and blog, as that's all i've seen or read so far, the Vet career is exactly how owning a restaurant and playing the active GTW careers should have been.

So thanks for listening to player feedback and creating a better experience this time around.

With that being said...think you can correct the errors of the two previous packs? Asking for a friend

Comments

• Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member

This looks like a improved version, really like being able to use the entire household. Will be fun to see how it works :)
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    Now we only need to be able to run a business at home (home businesses; like in TS2: Open for Business) and everything would be perfect!
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    sheronparrissheronparris Posts: 64 Member
    edited October 2017
    When I saw the trailer, I thought 'they're really giving us everything we got in get to work and its AWESOME.' It's a fuller experience and makes it worth the money for the Vet clinic alone.

**Edited for clarity.
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    edited October 2017
    I like that it tells you what needs improvement, other then that unless i have missed something it looks the same to me.
  • Options
    aricaraiaricarai Posts: 8,984 Member
    I hate to be going into all these threads to set the record straight but there is no vet career only ownable vet clincs.
  • Options
    FreezerBunnyCowplantFreezerBunnyCowplant Posts: 3,957 Member
    I like that it tells you what needs improvement, other then that unless i have missed something it looks the same to me.

The improvement thing has also been with restaurants in Dine Out, nothing new
    a256aFi.gif
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    It’s not even a career. You can’t be a vet unless you actually own the clinic.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    aricarai wrote: »
    I hate to be going into all these threads to set the record straight but there is no vet career only ownable vet clincs.

You can work as a vet:
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • Options
    There's also a trailer if anyone's interested:
    https://youtu.be/zChf8vmBkHw
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    orkhid22 wrote: »
    It is possible to learn from past mistakes or poor decisions. From the trailer and blog, as that's all i've seen or read so far, the Vet career is exactly how owning a restaurant and playing the active GTW careers should have been.

So thanks for listening to player feedback and creating a better experience this time around.

With that being said...think you can correct the errors of the two previous packs? Asking for a friend

I thought it looked exactly like owning a restaurant. What made it look better/different?
  • Options
    BabySquare wrote: »

You can work as a vet:

Yes but it's not a career, it's owning a business and being a vet straight away without working up the ladder. That's all I was saying.
  • Options
    orkhid22orkhid22 Posts: 2,226 Member

It's different. In dine out you cannot work as the cook, waitress, or host nor can you assign family to those roles. So no family owned and operated restaurants.

With GTW in the doctor career you can't create your own doctor office and staff it with family.

Detective career. It would be nice that once you're an investigator you could have the option to open own PI business.

There's room for improvement with GTW and DO
  • Options

You can work as a vet:

Yes but it's not a career, it's owning a business and being a vet straight away without working up the ladder. That's all I was saying.

I understand, I understood you message to mean that you thought we couldn't work as vets at all - crossed wires.
  • Options

You can work as a vet:

I understand, I understood you message to mean that you thought we couldn't work as vets at all - crossed wires.

No, you can work as a vet. I understand that completely. There's no vet career, like no starting at the bottom of a career ladder and working your way up to owning a clinic.
  • Options

You can work as a vet:

No, you can work as a vet. I understand that completely. There's no vet career, like no starting at the bottom of a career ladder and working your way up to owning a clinic.

Yeah I understand that too. It is disappointing for those looking to work in a vet career without owning a clinic. I'm lucky in that none of my sims plan on being vets. I'm happy though that I'll be able to build a clinic as a community lot and have sims take their pets there as needed.
  • Options
    JayandMeekaJayandMeeka Posts: 2,377 Member
    Definitely kudos to the team!! I'm quite excited for this pack. The vet career does look detailed and most importantly- it looks replayable. That being said I'm assuming they didn't allow for us to just be vets for some budgetary/time to cost reason so if they had to choose between 1.) a vet career with stages and 2.) owning and operating your own vet clinic, I think the latter is the ultimately the better option. You see more animals/illnesses that way, there is more to be done gameplay wise, and way more flexibility in design and gameplay customization. And you can include more people in your vet business.

This is the thing with a live service game launch - people see the beginnings and all the kinks and quirks that go into game development. I just wish people weren't so harsh and were more understanding. To be clear I'm not referencing any one in this thread in particular. I just mean in general. And that is why I appreciate these threads so much. They're making something I spend, in all honestly, 30-40% of my life engaged in, so I want them to know just how much this game means to me.

And if I'm not happy with a choice they've made, or with "missing features" then I have to remind myself this is a live service game. They are still fixing things and rolling them out. When all is said and done this game is going to be amazing.
  • Options
    PapayaPancakePapayaPancake Posts: 867 Member
    I wonder if it is not an actual "career", will my Sim still be considered unemployed!? I never liked that if my Sims own a successful business or restaurant they are technically still "unemployed".
  • Options
    filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I wonder if it is not an actual "career", will my Sim still be considered unemployed!? I never liked that if my Sims own a successful business or restaurant they are technically still "unemployed".

I actually haven't thought of this before, I feel like under the career menu it should show that they are a manager/owner of "said business"
  • Options
    Rae357Rae357 Posts: 922 Member
    This looks like a improved version, really like being able to use the entire household. Will be fun to see how it works :)

Where did you get we can use the entire household/family?
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Rae357 wrote: »

Where did you get we can use the entire household/family?

today's blog

Much of the action revolves around your Sim improving their Vet Skills, which is key because your Sims themselves are the vets. If you want, train the entire family as your staff to maximize the number of clients you can serve and save on wages!
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I have to see for myself if the vet career works well. I'm still having problems with the detective career, and my sim's restaurant never gets full and sometimes a customer never gets their order. It would be nice to play the entire thing without encountering any game-breaking bugs.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Options
    Sha2520032003Sha2520032003 Posts: 2,258 Member
    @PapayaPancake You bring up a great point! I think the game should recognize Sims that are entrepreneurs & stop looking at them as unemployed. This would make the constant 'get a job' whims go away.
  • Options
    Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    We'll all be able to see how this business works on Thurs during the livestream. Hopefully the gurus can clear up any confusion and actually show us what can and cannot be done with the vet career.
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Options
    SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I look forward to being able to use the equipment at home if I want to. That can be used in my stories in a number of ways.

I might have to mod the game for a teen being able to use the things at home but that would be nice. Growing into the family trade so to speak.

Having a shelter at home and being able to care for your own pets will be nice. You could do smaller things and leave surgery for the clinic.

For me this is really versatile, I can use this to tell different stories so I enjoy it a lot!
  • Options
    DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member

You can work as a vet:

I disagree. I think it is a career. True, it's not like those rabbit hole careers that you can level up and get a "gift" for doing so while never actually playing in that career, however, with the vet, you can actually be the vet and make the decisions to treat pets. Maybe your decision is correct, maybe you're wrong. It's those pluses and minuses that level up your vet SKILL as you play that, IMO, make this a career in better ways than the rabbit hole careers.

And as for it being listed as unemployed if you own a restaurant, and probably a clinic, that's a dev issue for not adding a "Business Owner" tag when you own a business. Hopefully, one day one of them will wake up and say "Hey guys, if a sim owns a business and earns money, they should be categorized as a Business Owner. Let's fix that problem today!" Okay, probably not, but I don't care if they're listed as unemployed, I know better.