Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need advice on buying a new desktop for sims 4

124...Next

Comments

• Wildspice3Wildspice3 Posts: 10 New Member
    Hello! Back again with another question lol I stopped searching and saving for a desktop for awhile, but now I am ready to get back to it. Again I am not looking to do anything other than play the Sims 4 and Sims 2 UC (I may add in one other game like Injustice 2, but may save for a console for that). For the sims 4 I am looking to purchase all of the EPs, 4 of the game packs (Outdoor, Dine Out, Parenthood, & Spa Day), and about 10 of the stuff packs.

IF I were to purchase something today with what I just mentioned. Would any of these desktops work?

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227816

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227841

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=9SIABFS50V5774

www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221344R

Thank you again for helping me out :)
    Also, I was told that I would need to find a computer with 6gb or more of dedicated video memory... is that true?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Wildspice3 wrote: »
    Also, I was told that I would need to find a computer with 6gb or more of dedicated video memory... is that true?

It would not hurt to find one but you still can get by with 4 GB, however moving forward more than 6 GB of Vram may be the norm as they have crossed the threshold already.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    @Goldmoldar A youtuber that plays the sims has a computer with Intel core i5-6402P 2.8GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 8GB DDR4-2133MHz, and 1TB Sata SSD. I looked up the desktop (she has an iBUYPOWER) and the VRAM was 4gb too. So if I went with something like that I would be ok momentarily?

Apologies just not understanding how the 4gb can affect the game play. Trying to play with high settings
  • Tara2018Tara2018 Posts: 14 New Member
    Hello, would a HP Elite 8300 Core i7 3.4GHZ, 512GB SSD, 16GB,Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit be a good tower or is it a terrible idea for the sims series?
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited July 2018
    Wildspice3 wrote: »
    @Goldmoldar A youtuber that plays the sims has a computer with Intel core i5-6402P 2.8GHz (3.4 GHz Turbo, 8GB DDR4-2133MHz, and 1TB Sata SSD. I looked up the desktop (she has an iBUYPOWER) and the VRAM was 4gb too. So if I went with something like that I would be ok momentarily?

Apologies just not understanding how the 4gb can affect the game play. Trying to play with high settings

You would be fine with Sims and maybe I should have made myself clearer, when I said developers have crossed the threshold some are recommending more than 4 Gb Vram. Also time goes by 4 Gb cards may become obsolete but you still can play some games and get results from 4 Gb cards depending on the model. As the CPUs become more powerful the GPU must also evolve. Specs usually get phased out slowly and not all at one time.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Matthenry22Matthenry22 Posts: 7 New Member
    I'm also thinking to buy a new laptop for me. :)
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Tara2018 wrote: »
    Hello, would a HP Elite 8300 Core i7 3.4GHZ, 512GB SSD, 16GB,Windows 7 Pro 64-Bit be a good tower or is it a terrible idea for the sims series?

What Graphics card does it have? I personally wouldn't recommend gaming on a HP that is that small as gaming generates heat and that desktop has basically nowhere for the heat to go.. which is a bad idea. (no ventilation or fans.)
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

> @chesterbigbird said:
    > What Graphics card does it have? I personally wouldn't recommend gaming on a HP that is that small as gaming generates heat and that desktop has basically nowhere for the heat to go.. which is a bad idea. (no ventilation or fans.)

It's Intel HD graphics. Its really cheap so I figured it would be a bad deal. The AMD series aren't a good idea for sims either are they? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, i'm just not very good with computers
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    Tara2018 wrote: »
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > What Graphics card does it have? I personally wouldn't recommend gaming on a HP that is that small as gaming generates heat and that desktop has basically nowhere for the heat to go.. which is a bad idea. (no ventilation or fans.)

It's Intel HD graphics. Its really cheap so I figured it would be a bad deal. The AMD series aren't a good idea for sims either are they? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, i'm just not very good with computers
    Definitely a no with integrated graphics as it's not properly supported by the game.
    AMD is not all bad, you just need to be looking at something higher end with AMD (ryzen 5 and above) graphics card Nvidia GTX 1050 and above.

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Thank you! @Goldmoldar
  • sunsetdriiversunsetdriiver Posts: 2 New Member
    Another post hijacker here! I'm also new and can't make my own post yet, and I figured this would be the best place to ask my question. I'm also looking for a new computer but I'm not quite sure if I want to browse best buy/walmart or go the custom made route. I have all the packs and I'm looking for something that'll let me play on ultra. My budget is around $1400 and I'm from the USA. Do you guys have any ideas or advice?
    > @chesterbigbird said:
    > Tara2018 wrote: »
    >
    > > @chesterbigbird said:
    > > What Graphics card does it have? I personally wouldn't recommend gaming on a HP that is that small as gaming generates heat and that desktop has basically nowhere for the heat to go.. which is a bad idea. (no ventilation or fans.)
    >
    > It's Intel HD graphics. Its really cheap so I figured it would be a bad deal. The AMD series aren't a good idea for sims either are they? I'm sorry if I sound unintelligent, i'm just not very good with computers
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Definitely a no with integrated graphics as it's not properly supported by the game.
    > AMD is not all bad, you just need to be looking at something higher end with AMD (ryzen 5 and above) graphics card Nvidia GTX 1050 and above. Thanks so much, I have decided that I am going to save up more money so I have a larger budget. I'm also probably going to just have someone build a pc for me(Like Cyberpower or Ibuypower) or build it myself. Do you think 2k would be more than enough to have a good one built that can play all expansions while also recording gameplay? I want it to be a good one, and don't want to be too cheap that it ends up bad.
  • berrychynaberrychyna Posts: 2 New Member
    I'm looking to buy a computer to play Sims 4 but don't want to spend too much as i won't be using it for much else. I'm looking at the ACER Aspire C22-860 21.5" All-in-One PC but not sure how well it will run?
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    berrychyna wrote: »
    I'm looking to buy a computer to play Sims 4 but don't want to spend too much as i won't be using it for much else. I'm looking at the ACER Aspire C22-860 21.5" All-in-One PC but not sure how well it will run?

All in ones are not made for gaming and are actually weaker than laptops. This game requires a gaming desktop tower. Laptop hardware is weaker. You need a more powerful gaming laptop to meet the game's requirements on desktop. What is your budget and country? If in the USA average is about $700 and up for desktop and laptop would be more
  • Midnight_SimsMidnight_Sims Posts: 2 New Member
    I’m looking for a good pc for sims 3 and 4 (I’m mostly a sims 3 player) I also love in the US, any recommendations (my budget is around $800)
    I don’t knkw if it’s possible to find a pc around that price that plays the sims preferably on high/ultra settings.
  • Midnight_SimsMidnight_Sims Posts: 2 New Member
    Live* know* I’ve suddenly forgot how to spell lol.