The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Need advice on buying a new desktop for sims 4

Comments

• LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Building from scratch doesn't HAVE to be more expensive, and you'll certainly get a better computer in the long run, but you do need to have some way to put it all together. People can be pretty expensive about that so you'd need to agree a price ahead of time.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum . Computers that will run this game cost about $1000 CAD and up. If you have a low budget I suggest saving up. You will not find anything in your price range to run this game
  • Wildspice3Wildspice3 Posts: 10 New Member
    Hello everyone, I have a question as well. I'm not tech savvy so I apologize if I confuse anyone, but for the specs in regards to the graphics card is their something I can look for other than Nvidia? I'm getting an idea on best buy's website and I keep coming across AMD Radeon (example: bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600315.p?skuId=5600315) which is better?

I just want to make sure I am not going to run into any issues when buying certain packs for the game and downloading CC. I do not play any other games on the computer besides the Sims. Not into video editing for it, or anything like that just strictly sims.
    edited November 2017
    Wildspice3 wrote: »
    Hello everyone, I have a question as well. I'm not tech savvy so I apologize if I confuse anyone, but for the specs in regards to the graphics card is their something I can look for other than Nvidia? I'm getting an idea on best buy's website and I keep coming across AMD Radeon (example: bestbuy.com/site/ibuypower-desktop-amd-fx-series-16gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-460-2tb-hard-drive-black-red/5600315.p?skuId=5600315) which is better?

I just want to make sure I am not going to run into any issues when buying certain packs for the game and downloading CC. I do not play any other games on the computer besides the Sims. Not into video editing for it, or anything like that just strictly sims.

AMD is fine if your on a lower budget . Nvidia /intel costs more. I have to quote your post to look at the computer linked. Im on tablet

The processor is too weak on that computer you posted.

@ChristianSimFan can post you a computer that meets requirements from walmart . It's cheaper too. Since Im on tablet i cant grab the link for you
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,569 Member
    edited November 2017

AMD is fine if your on a lower budget . Nvidia /intel costs more. I have to quote your post to look at the computer linked. Im on tablet

The processor is too weak on that computer you posted.

@ChristianSimFan can post you a computer that meets requirements from walmart . It's cheaper too. Since Im on tablet i cant grab the link for you

Hello
    I think that this may be the computer that @phoebebebe13 is referring to
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/iBUYPOWER-Gamer-WA583R7-Black-Desktop-Gaming-PC-AMD-Eight-Core-FX-8320-Vishera-Processor-8GB-Memory-1TB-Hard-Drive-Windows-10-Monitor-Included/35119954#read-more
    Thanks!

What is the best processor or specs to look for? and what is the difference on the processor specs for the one I posted and the one linked from walmart? (sorry for the tedious questions just trying to get a better understanding of what I need to be looking for lol)
    edited November 2017
    Thanks!

What is the best processor or specs to look for? and what is the difference on the processor specs for the one I posted and the one linked from walmart? (sorry for the tedious questions just trying to get a better understanding of what I need to be looking for lol)

Thanks @rosemow for the link

The processor on the walmart pc is better. Its an 8000 FX series processor. The 8000 is more powerful and newer. The one you posted at bestbuy is a 4000 series. it's an older and weaker processor. You want newer hardware if your buying a new pc.
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    edited November 2017
    If going AMD for the cpu and Graphics card then these are what you should be aiming for
    cpu : AMD Fx 8320- 8350 OR Ryzen 5 1500X or 1600X (or above.)
    Graphics card: RX 460 Rx 560 or 570 or 580.
    All of the above will work fine.
    Ryzen is the new generation Fx being the older one, And the Rx 5** Is newer then the RX 4**

i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

Thank you both @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird !!
    edited November 2017
    Thank you both @phoebebebe13 @chesterbigbird !!

Your welcome. The better deal is at walmart. Sometimes bestbuy overcharges and gives you less computer specs. The computer at walmart meets all requirements without breaking your bank
  • JesseMoreira06JesseMoreira06 Posts: 7 New Member
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16126068"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16126035"]Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Thanks in advance.[/quote]

Welcome to the forum . Computers that will run this game cost about $1000 CAD and up. If you have a low budget I suggest saving up. You will not find anything in your price range to run this game [/quote]

Thanks for the reply , what about in the US I live about 1 hour away from Plattsburgh like 400-500$ US dollars it would be less since I have to change currency. I'm not looking for a gaming desktop , just enough to run Sims 4 smoothly?
    Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?
    Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum . Computers that will run this game cost about $1000 CAD and up. If you have a low budget I suggest saving up. You will not find anything in your price range to run this game

Thanks for the reply , what about in the US I live about 1 hour away from Plattsburgh like 400-500$ US dollars it would be less since I have to change currency. I'm not looking for a gaming desktop , just enough to run Sims 4 smoothly?

Your welcome. You would still have to pay import fees coming across the border. You would have to claim the computer at the border. $400-500 USD would not be enough to get a computer to run this game
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16127844"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16127823"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16126068"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16126035"]Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?

Welcome to the forum . Computers that will run this game cost about $1000 CAD and up. If you have a low budget I suggest saving up. You will not find anything in your price range to run this game [/quote]

Thanks for the reply , what about in the US I live about 1 hour away from Plattsburgh like 400-500$ US dollars it would be less since I have to change currency. I'm not looking for a gaming desktop , just enough to run Sims 4 smoothly?[/quote]

Your welcome. You would still have to pay import fees coming across the border. You would have to claim the computer at the border. $400-500 USD would not be enough to get a computer to run this game [/quote]

okay Thanks again, So what would be the very cheapest desktop that I could get? any links or models I could check? , I don't need a screen or any accessories, I already have those.
    Thanks in advance.

Your welcome. You would still have to pay import fees coming across the border. You would have to claim the computer at the border. $400-500 USD would not be enough to get a computer to run this game

okay Thanks again, So what would be the very cheapest desktop that I could get? any links or models I could check? , I don't need a screen or any accessories, I already have those.

Your welcome. Your looking at $1000 cad or more just for the tower. if that is not in your budget I suggest saving . I can look if you have a higher budget
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16128021"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16127998"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16127844"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16127823"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16126068"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16126035"]Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?

Thanks for the reply , what about in the US I live about 1 hour away from Plattsburgh like 400-500$ US dollars it would be less since I have to change currency. I'm not looking for a gaming desktop , just enough to run Sims 4 smoothly?[/quote]

Your welcome. You would still have to pay import fees coming across the border. You would have to claim the computer at the border. $400-500 USD would not be enough to get a computer to run this game [/quote]

okay Thanks again, So what would be the very cheapest desktop that I could get? any links or models I could check? , I don't need a screen or any accessories, I already have those.[/quote]

Your welcome. Your looking at $1000 cad or more just for the tower. if that is not in your budget I suggest saving . I can look if you have a higher budget [/quote]

I have the budget just didnt really want to spend that much but if it's a must then I'll have no choice but to do it. I would highly appreciate if you could take a look for me. I am in no way computer smart lol.
    edited November 2017
    Thanks in advance.

Your welcome. Your looking at $1000 cad or more just for the tower. if that is not in your budget I suggest saving . I can look if you have a higher budget

I have the budget just didnt really want to spend that much but if it's a must then I'll have no choice but to do it. I would highly appreciate if you could take a look for me. I am in no way computer smart lol.

I can't post links. My tablet wont let me

go on Newegg Canada web

You need to be careful with desktop and power supply. You need a 400-500 watt or better. Some desktops will meet requirements but have a very low power supply . You need a more powerful power supply.

Look at these computers

Cyberpower Desktop Computer gamer ultra master 2021This has a 450 watt power supply

Cyberpower Desktop Computer GU2242 ( you would have to ask them power supply, it's not listed)

Cyberpower Desktop Computer Gamer Ultra 2232 This has a 600 watt power supply

all these meet requirements and will survive the whole game
    [quote="phoebebebe13;c-16128193"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16128051"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16128021"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16127998"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16127844"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16127823"][quote="phoebebebe13;c-16126068"][quote="JesseMoreira06;c-16126035"]Hey everyone , my name is Jesse , I'm new to the forum so sorry to the OP for highjacking your thread for a few comments, I've been playing the Sims since the very beginning , always been a huge fan , my PC recently broke and I was looking to get a new desktop I'm willing to spend roughly 400-600$ and I'm from Canada, would anyone have any recommendations for me?

okay Thanks again, So what would be the very cheapest desktop that I could get? any links or models I could check? , I don't need a screen or any accessories, I already have those.[/quote]

Your welcome. Your looking at $1000 cad or more just for the tower. if that is not in your budget I suggest saving . I can look if you have a higher budget [/quote]

I have the budget just didnt really want to spend that much but if it's a must then I'll have no choice but to do it. I would highly appreciate if you could take a look for me. I am in no way computer smart lol.[/quote]

go on Newegg Canada web

You need to be careful with desktop and power supply. You need a 400-500 watt or better. Some desktops will meet requirements but have a very low power supply . You need a more powerful power supply.

Look at these computers

Cyberpower Desktop Computer gamer ultra master 2021This has a 450 watt power supply

Cyberpower Desktop Computer GU2242 ( you would have to ask them power supply, it's not listed)

all these meet requirements and will survive the whole game [/quote]

Thanks so much I've token a look at them, I was just curious what makes the difference between this CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Ultra 2229 AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit and what you had recommended just so I could learn.
    edited November 2017
    Thanks in advance.

go on Newegg Canada web

Look at these computers

all these meet requirements and will survive the whole game

Thanks so much I've token a look at them, I was just curious what makes the difference between this CyberpowerPC Desktop Computer Gamer Ultra 2229 AMD FX-Series FX-6300 (3.50 GHz) 4 GB DDR3 1 TB HDD AMD Radeon R7 240 2 GB Windows 10 Home 64-Bit and what you had recommended just so I could learn.

You need an 8000 series AMD FX processor.or a new better AMD Ryzen . The r7240 is a low end card

6000 series and the 240 card are also older hardware
  • piggsybooboopiggsybooboo Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi -- new poster. I'm refreshing this thread in the hopes of getting new info on desktop computers.

I'm noticing these desktops do not have wifi. Is there a reason for that? Should I just buy an adapter? I am unable to hardwire to a modem.

Thanks!
  • MegaGamerChicMegaGamerChic Posts: 29 Member
    Hello! I’m currently in the market for buying a new desktop for the Sims.. Would this run it? https:www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-a10-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue-with-solid-panel/6181800.p?skuId=6181800
    Hello! I’m currently in the market for buying a new desktop for the Sims.. Would this run it? https:www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-desktop-amd-a10-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-recon-blue-with-solid-panel/6181800.p?skuId=6181800

The processor is too weak for this game. . See this linked thread below for a better option at walmart if you have a low budget

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/935199/yep-another-desktop-thread#latest
    Thank you!
    Your welcome :)
    Would there be any other suggestions? I really don’t want to purchase a desktop from Walmart because in the past, they haven’t held up.
    Would there be any other suggestions? I really don’t want to purchase a desktop from Walmart because in the past, they haven’t held up.

Walmart sells allot of the same computers as best buy now. Walmart online usually has better deals than bestbuy. Walmart is no longer selling E-Machines

You originally posted a dell for $500. That a very low budget to get a good quality computer. Your looking at $700-800 and up if you want a better computer. I would not advise dell, hp, lenovo desktops. The cases have poor cooling and they are hard to upgrade or change out hardware. They put junk hardware in there. The case room and cooling is just as important as the hardware inside. The cyberpower computer I gave you a link to would have more room for cooling and upgrades in the future.