Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

First Gameplay Screenshots (and it's worrying!)

jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
DH6u24tXgAAwpKn.jpg
30ZDacw.jpg
6S1YGoZ.jpg

It looks like we simply control an on-screen mouse as the pointer. This is really worrying because this was the control method they introduced in The Sims 2 Pets console edition, and it was so critically panned, they removed it from Castaway.

One joy stick controls the camera, one controls the on-screen pointer.

The way that the other console games did it (and succeeded really well) was with a ring pointer that moved along the ground, not across the screen.

simsbustin_review4.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

This is extremely worrying, because The Sims 2 Pets "classic control" scheme was panned because it was way too hard to use.

This seems to be the reason why they're holding off showing Live Gameplay.

If you also look as well, they changed NOTHING about the UI. How is the game supposed to be played on a screen when the UI is that small and still like the PC.

It seems that they're doing the bare minimum that needs to be added to make it work on console, instead of fixing the UI and controls to work on console :(
Post edited by jackjack_k on

Comments

• Options
    I feel like there's difference between a Port that's rebuilt, and a port that's a copy and paste.
  • Options
    antonio26298antonio26298 Posts: 32 Member
    The sims pets wasn't a rebuilt port, was a rebuilt game for console, like all the other sims games, but the sims 4 on console is a direct port, it just the game of PC on a console, and i'm happy with that :smiley:
  • Options
    The sims pets wasn't a rebuilt port, was a rebuilt game for console, like all the other sims games, but the sims 4 on console is a direct port, it just the game of PC on a console, and i'm happy with that :smiley:

TS3 pets was a port, The Sims 2 Pets was made just for console, but it's on screen mouse was criticised.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    edited August 2017
    Well, controls are really hard to judge without having the opportunity to test them for yourself. However, I am already hating the idea of simulating a mouse courser with a Controller. It has always been a hassle in previous iterations and the reason why I stopped playing the game on console eventually.

Edit: I dunno but the dog Looks annoyed because of the controls. It's not a good sign... .
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited August 2017
    The Pupper is confused, got frustated, because as it what appears from the screenshot that the camera panned down to the road and the pupper can't position the angle back to the selected sim. Yeah, that's really worrying.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    The Pupper is confused, got frustated, because as it what appears from the screenshot that the camera panned down to the road and the pupper can't position the angle back to the selected sim. Yeah, that's really worrying.

Yep. You can tell that he got frustrated and lost interested in the game by looking at those Pictures. It is indeed very worrying. :(
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited August 2017
    It looks like a direct port. Kind of worrying if you ask me, for the PC players that is.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    I personally dont see anything concerning. I think it looks amazing and ive only heard good/positive things regarding it so far from people who have experienced the game at gamescom. The one thing i will say i know for a fact will be an issue for me is the UI size. I play the sims 4 on my flat screen tv now on my desktop and ive had to edit the settings file manually to increase the UI size when im playing on 1080 because its just too small and i have to squint to read it. Im interested in seeing some actual console gameplay instead of screens though as its hard to really see the image on the screen properly as its a tad blurry.
  • Options
    [quote="Simsfan99111;c-15983408"]I personally dont see anything concerning. I think it looks amazing and ive only heard good/positive things regarding it so far from people who have experienced the game at gamescom. The one thing i will say i know for a fact will be an issue for me is the UI size. I play the sims 4 on my flat screen tv now on my desktop and ive had to edit the settings file manually to increase the UI size when im playing on 1080 because its just too small and i have to squint to read it. Im interested in seeing some actual console gameplay instead of screens though as its hard to really see the image on the screen properly as its a tad blurry. [/quote]

Yes, ai agree with you, the UI, personally, i liked it smal, but not too small, medium, :) I hope they let us change the UI size.
  • Options
    CrueltivityCrueltivity Posts: 161 Member
    There's no way they can make it more enjoyable, The Sims is a game that was not meant to be played on a joystick.
  • Options
    These were kindly sent to me earlier on twitter. I thought id add them for people to see.
    4YN3PNr.jpg
    lzWaNcE.jpg
    0Fs8hQ4.jpg
  • Options
    AugustsimAugustsim Posts: 106 Member
    It looks pretty good to me. I am a little worried too about the way in which we will have to control how our sims move. However, that is my problem because I'm not good at that type of play because I'm used to games where you move your player around with the joystick easily. This may not be an issue at all for other people. I'm just happy I can play it on the console :smiley:
  • Options
    catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    edited August 2017
    This is Direct Control. Were not getting Direct. SimGuruDuke ruled that out. The light coming down is the direct control I'm talking about.
    maxresdefault.jpg
  • Options
    This is Direct Control. Were not getting Direct. SimGuruDuke ruled that out. The light coming down is the direct control I'm talking about.
    maxresdefault.jpg

This is not direct control. This is classic control.

This is direct control:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slQ3LG3eBc8

• Options
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    maxresdefault.jpg

This is direct control:

I dont like the light bar in the previous console games. It gets in the way.
  • Options
    [quote="Simsfan99111;c-15989765"][quote="jackjack_k;c-15989193"][quote="@catloverplayer;c-15988973"]This is Direct Control. Were not getting Direct. SimGuruDuke ruled that out. The light coming down is the direct control I'm talking about.
    [img]https://i.ytimg.com/vi/R1fdEjP_hqc/maxresdefault.jpg[/img]
    [/quote]

This is direct control:

[/quote]

I dont like the light bar in the previous console games. It gets in the way. [/quote]

I dont like that bar too :lol:
  • Options
    Heres an interview, the sims 4 starts around the 8 min mark. through to around 13 -14 mins in. So its not the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EcepJ3q_A
  • Options
    maxresdefault.jpg

This is direct control:

maxresdefault.jpg

This is direct control:

I dont like that bar too :lol:

Yeah, but the alternative is a mouse which is terrible to control. The girl is having trouble in the video above.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Heres an interview, the sims 4 starts around the 8 min mark. through to around 13 -14 mins in. So its not the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EcepJ3q_A

Yeah, this is again, not looking great. The UI seems clunky, the game skips frames, and no one seems to know how to play (they just keep spinning the camera around).

I'll obviously wait for actual footage of the final game, but as this is a BETA, it looks like a lot of work needs to be done.
  • Options
    [quote="jackjack_k;c-15994648"][quote="@Simsfan99111;c-15992116"]Heres an interview, the sims 4 starts around the 8 min mark. through to around 13 -14 mins in. So its not the whole video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8EcepJ3q_A[/quote]

Yeah, this is again, not looking great. The UI seems clunky, the game skips frames, and no one seems to know how to play (they just keep spinning the camera around).

I'll obviously wait for actual footage of the final game, but as this is a BETA, it looks like a lot of work needs to be done. [/quote]

-The version at gamescom wasn't even a BETA, it was a Pre-Alpha version, the game was laggy and it doesn't have the new lighting so... They have to change a few things and optimise the game, and about control, i prefer the pointer before the light bar. :smiley:
  • Options
    FaybelFaybel Posts: 53 Member
    I've always thought consoles seem really inconvenient to play the sims on?
  • Options
    @Faybel wrote: »

Not with the light bar! That's why the console Sim games with the light bar have really good reviews, while The Sims 2 Pets had bad reviews for an on-screen mouse.
  • Options
    @Faybel wrote: »

Not with the light bar! That's why the console Sim games with the light bar have really good reviews, while The Sims 2 Pets had bad reviews for an on-screen mouse.

That light bar is part of the problem for me. Im glad its gone.
  • Options
    @Simsfan99111
    I'm glad it's gone too, it was terrible, if you have a lot of objects closely, when you put the bar in one object you have to navigate through a sub-menu and select the specific object you want to interact, with the pointer you just select the object and interact with it.
  • Options
    Found a small video clip from gamescom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpPX373TTnQ