Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    may151997 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if a AMD A8-5550 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics 2.10GHz processor will suffice? I think it will, but I'm not 100% sure.

This is a weak computer that has an integrated processor video card. If it's a laptop it will be worse. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. This computer is not designed to run 3d games. It is below requirements. No way to tell you how this ep will run on the computer. You'll find out when you add the ep. If it does not play well you can ask EA for your money back . The more you add to this game , the more demanding the game becomes
    @luthienrising here is where they moved your thread to from tech
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member

If you have a 64 bit version of windows and playing the 64 bit version of the game it will use up more computer ram and you will have less ram to run other programs if you have 8gb computer ram total. This would be worse for someone who has an integrated video card processor who is trying to run the game, processor, video card, origin , windows and other programs all on the same 8gb ram

But it is doable on 64 bit with 8 gb of ram?
    Gallery ID: babysquare
    edited August 2017
    BabySquare wrote: »

If you have a 64 bit version of windows and playing the 64 bit version of the game it will use up more computer ram and you will have less ram to run other programs if you have 8gb computer ram total. This would be worse for someone who has an integrated video card processor who is trying to run the game, processor, video card, origin , windows and other programs all on the same 8gb ram

Yes as along as you have a dedicated video card separate from your computer ram which you have. I can't tell you if you will have to lower your graphic settings on your 630m . Time will tell when you add the ep. No one knows how much more demanding this ep is going to be or how someones hardware is going to react to the ep if your computer is under recommended requirements. As I mentioned to you before, your video card is the only hardware in your computer that is under recommended requirements. I think you should be ok.

People with integrated graphics/processor are already having issues with just the new patch. It's unfortunate for those who don't have computer's that meet requirements with all their hardware and we are slowly telling people they need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Especially those on laptop

Yes as along as you have a dedicated video card separate from your computer ram which you have. I can't tell you if you will have to lower your graphic settings on your 630m . Time will tell when you add the ep. No one knows how much more demanding this ep is going to be or how someones hardware is going to react to the ep if your computer is under recommended requirements. As I mentioned to you before, your video card is the only hardware in your computer that is under recommended requirements. I think you should be ok.

People with integrated graphics/processor are already having issues with just the new patch. It's unfortunate for those who don't have computer's that meet requirements with all their hardware and we are slowly telling people they need to buy a new computer to continue playing. Especially those on laptop

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. :)

Yeah it's a pain; I've a lot of sympathy for those who are struggling with it - this laptop is the first gaming laptop I've had. Couldn't afford one before and until now I've struggled with every sims game that went before so I know what it feels like.
  • Callum2000Callum2000 Posts: 802 Member
    Eliharb wrote: »
    I think it's about time they started designing with 64-bit as a minimum. Anyone serious about gaming (spends alot of time playing games) should invest in at least 4 GB of memory and a decent GPU. I hope they keep making changes to the engine and expanding the way things work.

I disagree because Sims isn't a very hard core game that many gamers who are serious about it would play.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member

Thanks.

@SimGuruDrake could there maybe also be a thread about this in Tech? We expect we'll see a lot of issues show up there, not here, and it would probably help to have the info there as well.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.

Thanks.

@SimGuruDrake could there maybe also be a thread about this in Tech? We expect we'll see a lot of issues show up there, not here, and it would probably help to have the info there as well.

I agree, we need a thread in tech and maybe Gen Discussions too. More people will see it in Gen Discussions. We are already seeing people in tech with low end laptops having issues by just adding the pets patch. I fear allot more people will not be able to run this ep .

Thanks for the info I appreciate it. :)

Yeah it's a pain; I've a lot of sympathy for those who are struggling with it - this laptop is the first gaming laptop I've had. Couldn't afford one before and until now I've struggled with every sims game that went before so I know what it feels like.

Your very welcome. We have all been there. I got hit with the sims 3 and could not run the game after one ep. I had to wait to buy a gaming computer.
    edited August 2017
    fOR THOSE OF YOU PLANNING ON BUYING PETS, we who help in tech are sending out this message . EA HAS UPPED THE COMPUTER SPECS FOR THIS GAME There is a sticky thread in this section about this issue http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/923631/changes-to-minimum-requirements-for-cats-dogs-expansion-pack#latest

We have been seeing people in tech who can no longer run the game well from this new pets patch. It will get worse when pets is actually added because the computer specs have been raised.

THIS IS A WARNING FOR THOSE PLAYING ON LOWER END COMPUTERS FROM US WHO HELP IN TECH

If your playing on lower end laptops or desktops you may have issue running pets. This happened with the sims 3 and we fear may happen with the sims 4

Facts about laptops and or lower end desktops

This game requires a mid range gaming desktop not laptop. Laptop hardware is much weaker than desktop hardware. You can not compare laptop hardware to desktop hardware unless you have a higher end gaming laptop. You need a higher end gaming laptop to equal the requirements on desktop

Laptops ( and some lower end desktops) processor and video card can not be upgraded. You are stuck with the specs you buy. If your laptop specs is lower than the recommended requirements for desktop you may fall behind on adding more eps, packs, gp and even just patches.

Unfortunately since you can't upgrade processor and video card in a laptop, if you can not run this EP on your lower end computer and wish to continue running the game , you will have no choice but to remove the ep, buy a new computer or quit playing.

If one wants to survive this whole game with all the ep,s packs, gps and patches you need to own a computer that meets the desktop recommended requirements

If you have any questions you can come into the tech section and we will be glad to help you

Sorry to all for the possible bad news.
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • crinrictcrinrict Posts: 18,771 Member
    Did you really mean to say stinky thread ?

Crinrict's Help Blogs -- Twitter
    Please do not send me PMs/post on my wall if you're looking for help. I can't attend to those. You can find me at AnswerHQ.
    How to report bugs at AnswersHQ
    AHQ Tutorial

crinrict wrote: »
    Did you really mean to say stinky thread ?

Lol I change my n to a c it now states sticky thread :p
  • AmySims09AmySims09 Posts: 1,227 Member
    Are these specs any good to play cats and dogs? Or are the moderate? terrible? D:

FX6JImH.png
    6n5rPRe.jpg
    edited August 2017
    @AmySims09 Your laptop has an integrated processor/video card . Your processor and video card use the same computer ram along with windows , origin, the game and other programs. It is under-powered and not designed to run 3d games like the sims. It's designed for light computer tasks, browsing the web and watching a movie. You could ruin your laptop forcing it to run this game when it is not designed to do so. Sorry for that bad news. This article also applies to the sims 4 not just 3 and 2. http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Carso.

I would think about investing in a computer that meets requirements to run this game and all its add ons so you don't fall behind in not being able to continue playing
    @AmySims09 Your laptop has an integrated processor/video card . Your processor and video card use the same computer ram along with windows , origin, the game and other programs. It is under-powered and not designed to run 3d games like the sims. It's designed for light computer tasks, browsing the web and watching a movie. You could ruin your laptop forcing it to run this game when it is not designed to do so. Sorry for that bad news. This article also applies to the sims 4 not just 3 and 2. http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Your_Computer_is_Like_a_Carso.

I would think about investing in a computer that meets requirements to run this game and all its add ons so you don't fall behind in not being able to continue playing

*falls to the floor devastated*
    edited August 2017
    AmySims09 wrote: »

Im sorry :'( If your playing on laptop that laptop has to meet the desktop recommended requirements so you don't fall behind . Like I mentioned above in my warning message you can't upgrade a video card or processor in a laptop. You are stuck with the specs you buy . If your playing on a laptop that is under requirements and the laptop can no longer run the game , you have no choice but to buy a new computer. With desktop, if you buy a desktop with a good roomy case, good cooling and hardware that will permit upgrades your much better off. some desktops can be upgraded and are not throw away computers like a laptop. Desktop is required for all PC games and more powerful than laptop. If your in the USA you can get them fairly cheap compared to other places in the world. UK is not far behind. UK and US have allot more options for computers than most. Gaming laptops to run this game are more expensive. You pay for being compact and mobile

Im adding this as an example. Someone had overworked their laptop and the end result they may have did permanent damage to their video card. This is what happens when you game on an under-powered computer http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/924293/activation-ui-problem-and-screen-tearing#latest

Im sorry :'( If your playing on laptop that laptop has to meet the desktop recommended requirements so you don't fall behind . Like I mentioned above in my warning message you can't upgrade a video card or processor in a laptop. You are stuck with the specs you buy . If your playing on a laptop that is under requirements and the laptop can no longer run the game , you have no choice but to buy a new computer. With desktop, if you buy a desktop with a good roomy case, good cooling and hardware that will permit upgrades your much better off. some desktops can be upgraded and are not throw away computers like a laptop. Desktop is required for all PC games and more powerful than laptop. If your in the USA you can get them fairly cheap compared to other places in the world. UK is not far behind. UK and US have allot more options for computers than most. Gaming laptops to run this game are more expensive. You pay for being compact and mobile

Im adding this as an example. Someone had overworked their laptop and the end result they may have did permanent damage to their video card. This is what happens when you game on an under-powered computer http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/924293/activation-ui-problem-and-screen-tearing#latest

Would anything happen the first time I powered it up? Would the laptop overheat or anything? Or does the damge come with prolonged use?

Would anything happen the first time I powered it up? Would the laptop overheat or anything? Or does the damge come with prolonged use?

It depends on the computer specs. Sometimes the game won't even start to begin with. If you have an under-powered computer and the game will run, the damage usually comes with prolonged use as is the case with that link I gave you about the damaged video card. That person actually has a higher specked laptop than you though their laptop is weak to be running the game they are trying to play.

Heat can do permanent damage no matter what kind of computer you have. When you game a 3d game ( like the sims) , the computer works allot harder than if your browsing the web. Even if someone has a high powered gaming computer desktop or laptop it must have good cooling to avoid heat damage to the computer hardware.

Laptops that are designed for gaming will be thicker and have much better cooling than a general use laptop. You have a general use laptop

It depends on the computer specs. Sometimes the game won't even start to begin with. If you have an under-powered computer and the game will run, the damage usually comes with prolonged use as is the case with that link I gave you about the damaged video card. That person actually has a higher specked laptop than you though their laptop is weak to be running the game they are trying to play.

Heat can do permanent damage no matter what kind of computer you have. When you game a 3d game ( like the sims) , the computer works allot harder than if your browsing the web. Even if someone has a high powered gaming computer desktop or laptop it must have good cooling to avoid heat damage to the computer hardware.

Laptops that are designed for gaming will be thicker and have much better cooling than a general use laptop. You have a general use laptop

But this was marketed a gaming laptop D: Probably not one of the best it said gaming laptop D: The other laptop I had before was a general purpose laptop. It heated up when I played this low end-ish game and it heated up a lot when I played a more higher up game but the laptop I have now can play those games very smoothly. It's also very quiet.
    edited August 2017

But this was marketed a gaming laptop D: Probably not one of the best it said gaming laptop D: The other laptop I had before was a general purpose laptop. It heated up when I played this low end-ish game and it heated up a lot when I played a more higher up game but the laptop I have now can play those games very smoothly. It's also very quiet.

Computer stores will try to sell you anything. I have seen several computers marked as gaming when their not. There are also a few webs people posted best cheap gaming laptops for the sims 4. On those webs those laptops don't meet requirements. How many people bought into that web that can't run the game is anybody's guess.

ALL 3D games ( All EA games, Any games on steam etc) require desktop specs not laptop specs. Laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. You need a much higher gaming laptop to equal desktop requirements. One needs to understand how to compare laptop specs to equal desktop requirements. We always advise people to come into tech and ask us before buying a computer so you don't get taken by sales people that will sell you a toaster or don't understand how to compare laptop to desktop. Many of them are there to make a sale and earn commission and don't care if they send you out the door with a toaster. They just want your money

No two computers are the same. You can have 10 computers same make and model and all may react differently if all playing the same game

With the sims games , the more you add the more demanding the game becomes to a computer. Your laptop may run fine now but add pets and it may not run well anymore. This is common for an under-powered computer to run the game and all of a sudden the game will no longer play or play horribly to the point you can't stand it. I don't know how many eps your computer can handle before it may give out
    But I have no room for a desktop D: The WiFi is iffy in my bedroom and there is no room in the dining room or the living room D:

Guess my laptop will have to suffer slightly and be laid on ice just to see what the pack is about :(
  • LyricSimsz15LyricSimsz15 Posts: 13,136 Member
    edited August 2017
    Noooooooo :( I Have 4 computers in my house but none of them will work cause

1. My computer is under requirments
    2. One of them is my mom's laptop, but she does surveys on there and such
    3. One of them is hooked to the tv
    4. The last one is a desktop, but it's my uncle's and i don't A. Want to use it without permission, and B. Have any clue on how to use it.
    pN7cZBV.gif
    Just vibing...
    Check out my stories The Diversity Club and Lost Pride here on the forums!
    But I have no room for a desktop D: The WiFi is iffy in my bedroom and there is no room in the dining room or the living room D:

Guess my laptop will have to suffer slightly and be laid on ice just to see what the pack is about :(

You have the option of returning the EP within 24 hours if you have issues . You would know after playing it a little while if it won't work . You can then decide what to do, get a refund, keep it and eventually buy a new computer. etc

I am in a small place. I have my tower hooked up to the TV , I use the TV as my monitor and use a wireless keyboard and mouse. I have no room for a monitor
    I have a question: with the increased ram requirements from 2gb to 4gb how much harder will a processor have to work? I imagine an increased work load would equal an increase in cpu temperature.
    I have a question: with the increased ram requirements from 2gb to 4gb how much harder will a processor have to work? I imagine an increased work load would equal an increase in cpu temperature.

We have run several tests on this game. It's processor heavy. Will it get worse? I don't know. You will find out when you add the EP.