Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Changes to minimum requirements for Cats & Dogs expansion pack

Comments

• Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    Goodywood wrote: »
    I was able to purchase C&D and return it (digital copy). I had talk to CS before I purchased it and they said I could return it if I didn't like it within 24hours after launching.

It's on their web that the 24 hour (great game guarantee ) return is for base game only. They don't usually gives refunds for EPs per their web though they may make an exception now and again.
  • Options
    jolyangelinajolyangelina Posts: 1 New Member
    uih I have a question so the sims 4 takes 2 gb ram in and if you add the cats and dogs expansion pack does it than take 6 gb ram in or 4 gb ram in?
  • Options
    TrishAshtearTrishAshtear Posts: 3 New Member
    I'm unable to create a new post just yet, so I thought I would ask my question here. I really hope someone sees this and can help.

I just came back to Sims 4 and am trying to get Cats & Dogs to run. Unfortunately, I am unable to launch the game in 64bit mode. I set it to 64bit mode from within Origin but it crashes when I try to launch it. I can run it in 32bit mode but he gives me the warning that Cats & Dogs might be unstable if I run it in 32 bit.

Here are my specs (as a new member, I cannot post a screenshot of my dxdiag or I would):

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    16384MB Ram
    GeForce GTX 980M
    100 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD

If you need more info, let me know.
  • Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    edited December 2017
    I'm unable to create a new post just yet, so I thought I would ask my question here. I really hope someone sees this and can help.

I just came back to Sims 4 and am trying to get Cats & Dogs to run. Unfortunately, I am unable to launch the game in 64bit mode. I set it to 64bit mode from within Origin but it crashes when I try to launch it. I can run it in 32bit mode but he gives me the warning that Cats & Dogs might be unstable if I run it in 32 bit.

Here are my specs (as a new member, I cannot post a screenshot of my dxdiag or I would):

Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Intel i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz
    16384MB Ram
    GeForce GTX 980M
    100 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD

If you need more info, let me know.

Hello @TrishAshtear
    Could you please post your DxDiag info here.
    To gather a DXDIAG on your computer, do this :
    Press and hold the Windows key and the letter R on your keyboard
    You will see a Run box in the lower-left corner of your screen
    Type dxdiag in the text field
    Click OK
    Click the Save All Information button, found on the bottom of the DXDIAG report
    Then copy and paste the information from where you saved it, to pastebin https://pastebin.com
    and post the link to the file here

You will need to break up the pastebin link though by putting h.t.t.p. instead of http, because you are unable to post links because you are a new member.

• Options
    Here it is!

h.t.t.p.s://pastebin.com/0w1vbwAZ
  • Options

https://pastebin.com/0w1vbwAZ

Hello @TrishAshtear
    Try doing what is in this link, to make sure that the game uses your nvidia graphics card
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/776882/sims-4-and-switchable-graphics-how-to-nvidia-amd

Your computer is also very low on hard drive space on the C drive, which can cause issues. It would be best to move your game and your Documents folder over to the D Drive.

This explains how to move your Documents folder
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYfNmGnbxNw

This link explains how to move your sims 4 game to another drive without needing to uninstall , download and reinstall it again.
    https://help.ea.com/article/backing-up-and-restoring-your-origin-games
  • Options
    @rosemow

Thank you so much for your help! My game files are already in the D drive. I mostly just use the C drive for the OS for quicker boot times.

I tried the graphics card trick you linked to but that did not work. However, I stumbled across another suggestion elsewhere which seems to have worked! (fingers crossed that it keeps working!)

I went into Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 4> __Installer > vc > vc2013 > redist

There, I ran the two vcredist files and repaired them. Then I rebooted.

That seemed to do the trick!

Thank you once again for your time!
  • Options
    @rosemow

Thank you so much for your help! My game files are already in the D drive. I mostly just use the C drive for the OS for quicker boot times.

I tried the graphics card trick you linked to but that did not work. However, I stumbled across another suggestion elsewhere which seems to have worked! (fingers crossed that it keeps working!)

I went into Program Files (x86) > Origin Games > The Sims 4> __Installer > vc > vc2013 > redist

There, I ran the two vcredist files and repaired them. Then I rebooted.

That seemed to do the trick!

Thank you once again for your time!

I am glad that the issue has been fixed :)
  • Options
    alexajf3181alexajf3181 Posts: 6 New Member
    Does it need an additional 4GB of memory or does it mean just the base 4GB needed to install the Sims 4 itself?
  • Options
    Does it need an additional 4GB of memory or does it mean just the base 4GB needed to install the Sims 4 itself?

Hello @alexajf3181
    The requirements mean that you need at least the base 4gb to run the pack. It is best though to have 8gb or more to help to run the game better and more smoother without issues that may arise.
    You have like to post details of your computer specifications here, and simmers may be able to help you and suggest if they think that your computer will be able to handle running the pack.
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    > alexajf3181 wrote: »
    >
    > Does it need an additional 4GB of memory or does it mean just the base 4GB needed to install the Sims 4 itself?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @alexajf3181
    > The requirements mean that you need at least the base 4gb to run the pack. It is best though to have 8gb or more to help to run the game better and more smoother without issues that may arise.
    > You have like to post details of your computer specifications here, and simmers may be able to help you and suggest if they think that your computer will be able to handle running the pack.

Thanks for the quick relpy @rosemow
    The specs for the general computer type can be found here: h.ttps://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-570/specs/ (I cannot post links yet, so it is that address, just minus the . after the h, haha)
  • Options
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    > Does it need an additional 4GB of memory or does it mean just the base 4GB needed to install the Sims 4 itself?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @alexajf3181
    > The requirements mean that you need at least the base 4gb to run the pack. It is best though to have 8gb or more to help to run the game better and more smoother without issues that may arise.
    > You have like to post details of your computer specifications here, and simmers may be able to help you and suggest if they think that your computer will be able to handle running the pack.

The specs for the general computer type can be found here: https://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-570/specs/ (I cannot post links yet, so it is that address, just minus the . after the h, haha)

Hello @alexajf3181
    @phoebebebe13 will look at the computer system details when she next comes onto the forums and will help you.
  • Options
    @rosemow
    Great! Thank you for helping me!
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    > @rosemow said:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @alexajf3181

The specs for the general computer type can be found here: h.ttps://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-570/specs/ (I cannot post links yet, so it is that address, just minus the . after the h, haha)

This computer is under requirements to run the game with add ons and is an older computer. You might be ok with the base game only. You might have issues running the C & D ep. EA does not give refunds should you not be able to run the EP.

if you want to run this game with all the add ons, I suggest investing in a computer that meets recommended requirements.
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Ok, thank you for looking over this. I'm going to see if I can get a new PC with the requirements.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    @alexajf3181 Your welcome. If you need help finding a computer that meets recommended requirements, someone in tech can help you if you post your budget and country .
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Great! :) I live in the US and my budget is as close to $1000 as can be, lower if possible. I think I am all set with a monitor, so that is just for the actual computer.
  • Options
    @alexajf3181 speak to user @chesterbigbird , she is a build expert. You may be able to go custom where you pick out your own hardware and a custom company will actually build the computer
  • Options
    @phoebebebe13 Ok, thanks!
  • Options
    fifpofifpo Posts: 1 New Member
    My PC is a rare case as it's 32-bit with a 64x processor , meaning I could make it 64-bit but I need a USB etc , I've asked for one but my dad said that nothing will change since it's already got a 64 bit processor. I diagress. I can run cats and dogs in CAS and if I've just installed it , go into game mode for one session before it crashes everytime ( I decide to just disable this pack before launch ) . So basically 32-bit CAN run it but in CAS only and one gameplay session before complete crashing. I do have multiple other packs on however so it could easily be that if I ran purely BG + C&D it'd work fine , but I wouldn't EVER do that since CC is laggier than EA produced so I use barely any CC and rely heavily on EA Produce.... a bit too much e-e
  • Options
    ReyZie93ReyZie93 Posts: 5 New Member
    New DirectX version? Or just 64-bit mode? I have Windows XP x64 with i7-2600K, GTX960 and 12 GB RAM.
  • Options
    ReyZie93 wrote: »
    New DirectX version? Or just 64-bit mode? I have Windows XP x64 with i7-2600K, GTX960 and 12 GB RAM.

The game will not run on XP. XP and vista are no longer supported. You need windows 7, 8 or 10 64 bit version of windows. Having 12 gb ram would be useless without a 64 bit version of windows.
  • Options
    edited June 2018
    fifpo wrote: »
    My PC is a rare case as it's 32-bit with a 64x processor , meaning I could make it 64-bit but I need a USB etc , I've asked for one but my dad said that nothing will change since it's already got a 64 bit processor. I diagress. I can run cats and dogs in CAS and if I've just installed it , go into game mode for one session before it crashes everytime ( I decide to just disable this pack before launch ) . So basically 32-bit CAN run it but in CAS only and one gameplay session before complete crashing. I do have multiple other packs on however so it could easily be that if I ran purely BG + C&D it'd work fine , but I wouldn't EVER do that since CC is laggier than EA produced so I use barely any CC and rely heavily on EA Produce.... a bit too much e-e

When the game sates 32 or 64 bit, they are talking about your version of windows . A 32 bit version of windows can only access 3.5 gb computer ram total. You need a 64 bit version of windows to access more than 3.5 gb ram. This game requires a 64 bit version of windows 7, 8 or10. 8gb computer ram. Your video card and processor also need to meet requirements.
  • Options
    ReyZie93ReyZie93 Posts: 5 New Member
    > @phoebebebe13 said:
    > Having 12 gb ram would be useless without a 64 bit version of windows.

My XP is x64 version. For now without C&D, The Sims 4 in 64-bit mode runs fine.