Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Commodities and Autonomy - Ohhh, ok

TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
edited March 5 in Nominated Threads
Just thought I'd share a little epiphany/doh moment I had tonight. I've been making some new interactions as part of working on a set of child traits. In the process, I've been learning more about how autonomy works to try to make the interactions autonomous, without being obnoxiously frequent or too rare.

For a while, I was confused about emotion-based autonomy and specific interactions. I would notice that, for example, in Kick_Trash_Pile, commodity_Emotion_Autonomy_Angry gets set to max. But that's it. I'd seen _false_advertisement and static_commodities, but was not understanding how something like commodity_Emotion_Autonomy_Angry getting set to max translates to an actual advertisement that will cause the sim to want to do that interaction.

Then, after some earlier tinkering in making an interaction similar to Make a Mess, where I give it a Fun statistic_change in periodic_stat_change and set advertise to "true," it hits me... later... like "oh." So I check the documentation and sure enough, if a statistic_change happens as part of periodic_stat_change, the default is that it advertises. So in that angry example above, commodity_Emotion_Autonomy_Angry is something a sim has while angry and an interaction like Kick_Trash_Pile advertises to the sim that it will set its angry commodity to max to tempt it to use that interaction.

The role of _false_advertisement, then, seems to be to control how intense an advertisement is while setting the actual statistic_change to whatever you want. This is used with fun sometimes, where the amount of fun the interaction says it will give the sim is less, or more, than the amount they get from a periodic_stat_change. The fun within the periodic_stat_change is then set to advertise as 'false' (e.g. don't advertise).

Pretty neat system, I think. And one less question mark for me. :)
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top