Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 4: Console Trailer is PC Footage

Comments

• JasonSim16JasonSim16 Posts: 466 Member
    And after it's taken so long to get some other stuff we asked for in the game that was released 3 1/2 years ago; I'll pass.
    71rbpi.png
  • TrowiciaTrowicia Posts: 2,027 Member
    edited July 2017
    I have a hunch it'll use a similar system as The Sims 3 as far as live mode goes.
    Create-a-Sim might use both analog sticks as you can make fine-tuned adjustments with certain pressure applied in directions.

That's just my guess. We'll probably find out what it's really like during Gamescom next month.
    // take me back to 2018.
  • JumpingTrainsJumpingTrains Posts: 442 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    Seeing all the new features in the trailer makes me wonder if TS4 will be better received this time. Lots of the complaints of the launch are not true anymore...

LOL why are you so worried about its reception? You work on the dev team or something? Just... lol. :D

Have you ever seen a game with bad reviews become successful? From my experience, nope. Do games with great reviews sell good? Yes.
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    Seeing all the new features in the trailer makes me wonder if TS4 will be better received this time. Lots of the complaints of the launch are not true anymore...

LOL why are you so worried about its reception? You work on the dev team or something? Just... lol. :D

Have you ever seen a game with bad reviews become successful? From my experience, nope. Do games with great reviews sell good? Yes.

This is far from the truth. Some games get incredible reviews but only do average. Some games get poor reviews, and do really well.

Especially with The Sims. Generations was one of the better selling Sims 3 expansions, but had the worst critic and fan reviews.
    Into The Future was critically acclaimed, and was one of the worst selling.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    The way I look at it, the console version are targeted at those that do not use an computer so they can experience playing with Sims. I think it would have served all parties better if they had waited to release an trailer for the console. Using an simulated an mouse is doable but for some customers like myself hate playing with an simulated mouse. However being the trailer is from the PC version I would rather wait for more info before saying what will actually be used. I also believe with the statement that "All depictions are from the PC version and do not totally represent all features that will be in the console version."
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • Simsfan99111Simsfan99111 Posts: 1,260 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »
    How will the click & drag thing work on a console?

I would imagine that you click up and down which highlights different manipulation points you can then select X or A depending on the console and that will then focus on that manipulation point you can then use the analogue stick to change it.
    As for the console trailer/screenshots being from the pc version. They did this with the sims 3 on console. I remember they used alot of screenshots that were from sunset valley pc. I felt slightly cheated when i got into the game and didnt look as polished.
    As for the console trailer/screenshots being from the pc version. They did this with the sims 3 on console. I remember they used alot of screenshots that were from sunset valley pc. I felt slightly cheated when i got into the game and didnt look as polished.

Nah, it looked similar to Sunset Valley at times, but the console game announcement was definitely in-game?
    edited August 2017
    jackjack_k wrote: »

Nah, it looked similar to Sunset Valley at times, but the console game announcement was definitely in-game?

They 100% used sims 3 sunset valley pics lol you can tell by 2 of the pics as they are in locations not in the console world and you cant angle the camera on the console game to that of the angle of those pics and the graphics quality is slightly lower in the console game. I played it religiously. Doesnt matter anyway really :)

They 100% used sims 3 sunset valley pics lol you can tell by 2 of the pics as they are in locations not in the console world and you cant angle the camera on the console game to that of the angle of those pics and the graphics quality is slightly lower in the console game. I played it religiously. Doesnt matter anyway really :)

Lol, I played the console game religiously. I followed The Sims 3 console launch very closely and never saw Sunset Valley.
    The world that comes with The Sims 3 console does look like Sunset Valley though.
    edited August 2017

Lol, I played the console game religiously. I followed The Sims 3 console launch very closely and never saw Sunset Valley.
    The world that comes with The Sims 3 console does look like Sunset Valley though.

If you go to the amazon link and then look at the pictures on the left next to the box art, third one down with the sunset valley waterfall in the background is one example. That and a few other were the first images used to advertise the console game then some of the others you see where later released. I would post it here but i dont know how. There are others too, one where a sim is jumping in the pool. The console town had the same look and feel as sunset valley but it wasnt and didnt have that waterfall. I could be wrong but im pretty sure i am right.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronic-Arts-5030930085940-The-Sims/dp/B003JH7ZIQ

https://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/Screenshots/TS3_Console_OnFire.jpg?cb=1412974927
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

If you go to the amazon link and then look at the pictures on the left next to the box art, third one down with the sunset valley waterfall in the background is one example. That and a few other were the first images used to advertise the console game then some of the others you see where later released. I would post it here but i dont know how. There are others too, one where a sim is jumping in the pool. The console town had the same look and feel as sunset valley but it wasnt and didnt have that waterfall. I could be wrong but im pretty sure i am right.

https://web-vassets.ea.com/Assets/Richmedia/Image/Screenshots/TS3_Console_OnFire.jpg?cb=1412974927

You are correct. The Sims 3 on console used the PC game for promotional pics. The camera was at a fixed angle for the console game which is incompatible with the promotional screenshots they released, it was also announced well in advance of release so I imagine (similarly to Sims 4 on console) the game was not to the point where everything is finalized. Later trailers did feature gameplay, but at that point the game was ready to launch.

At the end of the day the console game was derived from the PC game with some changes to accommodate the console platform. Visually it doesn't make much of a difference which title is used to make promotional footage so long as they aren't showing off content that isn't in the final game. Sunset Valley in TS3 promo is kind of irrelevant, the focus of the image is the gameplay happening with the Sims, all of which could be replicated in game. With Sims 4 on console they are developing it identical to the PC title, which makes promo interchangeable to a degree. Everything they have so far can be used to promote future releases for console, and presumably that will continue as they produce more material for the PC game's DLC.

They're all console screenshots, just taken with developer tools :p

Moonlight Falls does have a waterfall, in the top right part of the map, and that's the house that comes with it.
    The second picture is a house in Moonlight Falls.
    edited August 2017

You are correct. The Sims 3 on console used the PC game for promotional pics. The camera was at a fixed angle for the console game which is incompatible with the promotional screenshots they released, it was also announced well in advance of release so I imagine (similarly to Sims 4 on console) the game was not to the point where everything is finalized. Later trailers did feature gameplay, but at that point the game was ready to launch.

At the end of the day the console game was derived from the PC game with some changes to accommodate the console platform. Visually it doesn't make much of a difference which title is used to make promotional footage so long as they aren't showing off content that isn't in the final game. Sunset Valley in TS3 promo is kind of irrelevant, the focus of the image is the gameplay happening with the Sims, all of which could be replicated in game. With Sims 4 on console they are developing it identical to the PC title, which makes promo interchangeable to a degree. Everything they have so far can be used to promote future releases for console, and presumably that will continue as they produce more material for the PC game's DLC.

The pictures are taken using developer tools, but they all are of Moonlight Falls. Moonlight Falls was a modified Sunset Valley tbh.

The Sims 4 console promo is all taken from the PC game. While this doesn't bother me so much since it's a direct port, I'm annoyed about seeing a mouse and PC UI because that doesn't represent how it will work (unless it has awful controls, lol)

I think they should show people HOW you play, before putting it up for pre-order. Not showing that you play with a mouse.
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

The pictures are taken using developer tools, but they all are of Moonlight Falls. Moonlight Falls was a modified Sunset Valley tbh.

The Sims 4 console promo is all taken from the PC game. While this doesn't bother me so much since it's a direct port, I'm annoyed about seeing a mouse and PC UI because that doesn't represent how it will work (unless it has awful controls, lol)

I think they should show people HOW you play, before putting it up for pre-order. Not showing that you play with a mouse.
    How are you mad it won't be an exact port of the game because consoles can't compete with PC games.

tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • FloppyFishFloppyFish Posts: 3,881 Member
    Who cares?
    Mafia Stats
    Games Played: 14 | Games Won: 8 | Games Lost: 6
    Times Town: 9 | Times Mafia: 2 | Times 3rd: 2
    Town Wins: 6 | Mafia Wins: 1 | 3rd Wins: 1
    Deaths: 8

edited August 2017

Moonlight Falls is the world included in TS3: Supernatural EP, Moonlight Bay is the console town and no it is not a modified Sunset Valley anymore than Riverview is a modified sunset valley.

Here is the best reference picture I can find that shows pretty much the whole console town map:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24q22b4&s=7

It may look similar to Sunset Valley, which is expected since the same components are used in both, but the layout is different, the world is smaller, and the geographic features are very different. MB has mountains on all sides of the map with only one area exposed to the ocean, the bay, which houses the beach lot type. Sunset Valley only has mountains to the NE and Eastern sections of the map, the NW is rolling hills, and the front is pretty much all cliffs and a shoreline. There is also a peninsula to the western side of the map.

Picture reference of Sunset Valley:
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/screenshots/xsunsetvalleymap.gif.pagespeed.ic.eTEuphx2Oj.jpg

I don't see your point with the promo issue. The game is being built to mirror the PC game. If you have played TS4 you know exactly what you're going to get when you get the console port. The user interface is not finalized, SimGuruDuke confirmed that in an interview, but unless they are going to walk back their comments about delivering the same gameplay it should not cause any concern. Every component of the game will be adapted for a controller, but the functionality will be exactly the same as PC.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    Ahh yes Moonlight Bay I remember well the town that had a silent waterfall.
    edited August 2017

Moonlight Falls is the world included in TS3: Supernatural EP, Moonlight Bay is the console town and no it is not a modified Sunset Valley anymore than Riverview is a modified sunset valley.

Here is the best reference picture I can find that shows pretty much the whole console town map:
    http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=24q22b4&s=7

It may look similar to Sunset Valley, which is expected since the same components are used in both, but the layout is different, the world is smaller, and the geographic features are very different. MB has mountains on all sides of the map with only one area exposed to the ocean, the bay, which houses the beach lot type. Sunset Valley only has mountains to the NE and Eastern sections of the map, the NW is rolling hills, and the front is pretty much all cliffs and a shoreline. There is also a peninsula to the western side of the map.

Picture reference of Sunset Valley:
    http://www.carls-sims-3-guide.com/screenshots/xsunsetvalleymap.gif.pagespeed.ic.eTEuphx2Oj.jpg

I don't see your point with the promo issue. The game is being built to mirror the PC game. If you have played TS4 you know exactly what you're going to get when you get the console port. The user interface is not finalized, SimGuruDuke confirmed that in an interview, but unless they are going to walk back their comments about delivering the same gameplay it should not cause any concern. Every component of the game will be adapted for a controller, but the functionality will be exactly the same as PC.

My mistake, they are closely named. But Moonlight Bay is pretty much the same concept as Sunset Valley, they just reworked it so that it was slightly different. But it's still a beach town, in a valley, with a waterfall toward the back.

I play the Sims 3 on console religiously, I know that it's not 'literally' Sunset Valley made to look different, but it's basically the base game assets remade to make another world, in other words, Sunset Valley's assets reused.

---

My point is, they are advertising gameplay when they should really be sticking to footage only. They shouldn't be showing CAS and Build Mode gameplay from the PC game. They should be showing us the console version of CAS and Build Mode. What's the purpose of a trailer if it includes a mouse?

All I'm saying is, they only showed pre-scripted gameplay before The Sims 4 came out, and no live gameplay, and when we got the game in September, it was obvious as to why. They should have waited at least until the early 2015, when they added Pools, Ghosts and fixed 90% of the bugs.

The Sims has a history of using another version of the game to advertise, if the game is bad. They literally showed off everything for the Sims 3 for Xbox/PS3 but when it came to The Sims 3 Wii, they used renders that *looked* like screenshots (my avi) and gameplay from the PC game. There's even footage of the PC game when you boot up The Sims 3 Wii.

I know that they're probably not going to risk it like they did the base game for PC, but it doesn't give me confidence that it's already up for pre-order, and yet they can't put together gameplay footage. SimGuruDuke also said they are still working on the controls, which makes me believe Gamescon will show CAS only (2014 Gamescon anyone?)

It just seems really dodgy, and if it's up for pre-order, and they're still working on things like controls etc., what is the bet it will be unfinished on launch, and need urgent patches after launch.
    The gameplay is identical though. Control setup is in a sense irrelevant because the outcomes will be identical regardless. CAS and Build mode will function as they do on PC, the only difference is a controller vs a mouse.

I do agree that it's tacky repurposing obvious PC footage, with PC interface, but for an announcement trailer it gets the point across. The point being that the console port will be identical to PC in terms of what it's tools will offer and what gameplay is included.

I don't doubt that it will be buggy, and will require a day 1 patch to play. The Sims 4 on PC is kind of buggy, I assume most unfixed bugs will still be present. I also doubt the graphics will be as sharp as they are on PC-Ultra, but that's the give for console ports. It's only August 5th, the game isn't going to release for another couple months; in that time I'm sure they will show off actual gameplay footage which should answer anyone withholding a preorder's questions pertaining to UI and control scheme.

The difference here in 2017 is that we no longer have an executive that's pushing a poorly thought through product that isn't ready for release. In 2014 they had plenty of things they actively tried to hide from players, or pass off as a nonissue (toddlers, pools, family trees, pretty much everything they have patched in). The console port is being derrived from a much more 'complete' package, and really they don't have anything to hide because the game at it's core is and has already been available on the PC for almost 3 years.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,906 Member
    Microsoft are currently working on a mouse and keyboard for the xbox I found out.
    The gameplay is identical though. Control setup is in a sense irrelevant because the outcomes will be identical regardless. CAS and Build mode will function as they do on PC, the only difference is a controller vs a mouse.

I do agree that it's tacky repurposing obvious PC footage, with PC interface, but for an announcement trailer it gets the point across. The point being that the console port will be identical to PC in terms of what it's tools will offer and what gameplay is included.

I don't doubt that it will be buggy, and will require a day 1 patch to play. The Sims 4 on PC is kind of buggy, I assume most unfixed bugs will still be present. I also doubt the graphics will be as sharp as they are on PC-Ultra, but that's the give for console ports. It's only August 5th, the game isn't going to release for another couple months; in that time I'm sure they will show off actual gameplay footage which should answer anyone withholding a preorder's questions pertaining to UI and control scheme.

The difference here in 2017 is that we no longer have an executive that's pushing a poorly thought through product that isn't ready for release. In 2014 they had plenty of things they actively tried to hide from players, or pass off as a nonissue (toddlers, pools, family trees, pretty much everything they have patched in). The console port is being derrived from a much more 'complete' package, and really they don't have anything to hide because the game at it's core is and has already been available on the PC for almost 3 years.

Yes and were even getting the holiday pack that was released in an update and that includes the new additions we got last year with the holiday fireplace.
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Microsoft are currently working on a mouse and keyboard for the xbox I found out.

Wish Sony would.
    Maybe we'll see a trailer soon with console footage. Console version was not only at gamescom but also this weeks creators camp.

SimGuruDuke did say on twitter they had some bugs they had to fix before the game releases.