Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Social Super Interaction weirdness?

So usually when I have problems like these, I just smash my head into them until the brick chips or I give up and go take some pain killer, but my brain is just extra fried on this one, so I figured I'd share the package file and see if maybe a second pair of eyes can spot something I'm missing.

http://simfileshare.net/download/272375/

The long and short of it is, I'm trying to make a SocialSuperInteraction work in the style of the Vampire "Drink" interactions. I've tried a variety of JigGroups. And I had the animation set to the "Fight" animation at one point, though it's currently the Vamp Drink in this package. The part that really has me scratching my head is that sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, with no obvious explanation as to why.

When it works, it works exactly as you'd expect it to work looking at how the XML code is laid out (e.g. similar to the Vamp Drink).

When it doesn't work, it glitches as follows:
- Actor Sim (the instigator of the interaction) walks over to TargetSim.
- Actor and Target may adjust their position a bit so that they're facing each other. So far, so good.
- Then here's where it all goes wrong: Interaction cancels out visibly, but Actor and Target continue to be locked into some kind of interaction that isn't visible, has no animation, and never ends, unless you use Reset Object. So a pretty major glitch.
(also, sometimes one or more of the sims will idle with a dance animation, which I really don't understand where in god's name that's coming from. I thought maybe the "listen" idle, but that idle is used for a number of interactions and doesn't show a dance idle in them. Then I thought maybe it's the jig group, as the vamp one doesn't have any reference to visibility, whereas group romance has is_visible true, but that didn't seem to make an actual difference on the dance idle weirdness)

Also, it's really vexing me that most of the code is identical to the Vamp SocialSuper. To make the interactions, I literally copy/pasted, using those files as a base and then making minor-to-moderate edits to fit the interaction I wanted it to be. Fundamentally, almost nothing is different.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I can't make heads or tails of the reasoning for this line in vampire_Drink_Target:
            <V t="literal">
              <U n="literal">
                <L n="conditions">
                  <V t="time_based">
                    <U n="time_based">
                      <T n="max_time">25</T>
                      <T n="min_time">20</T>
                    </U>
                  </V>
                </L>
                <E n="interaction_action">EXIT_NATURALLY</E>
                <L n="tests">
                  <L>
                    <V t="buff">
                      <U n="buff">
                        <V n="whitelist" t="enabled">
                          <L n="enabled">
                            <T>152484<!--Buff: buff_Vampire_Weaknesses_InefficientDrinker--></T>
                          </L>
                        </V>
                      </U>
                    </V>
                  </L>
                </L>
              </U>
            </V>

This is the only conditional action in vampire_Drink_Target, the SocialSuper that gets pushed on the targeted sim. Which seems to translate, to me, that there's no conditional action. Cause I'm pretty sure if I'm remembering right, Vampires can't drink from each other. And the test checks for a buff, InefficientDrinker, but it seems to me like it would apply that test to the actor for vampire_Drink_Target, which would be the target being bitten, not the Vampire? Which would mean the test would never actually pass and it would amount to vampire_Drink_Target having no conditional actions.

I'm beginning to wonder if the extracted XML just has errors in it or something. Or maybe my package file is bugged. The problems in this particular case seem to have no actual rhyme or reason to them. I make a change and it seems to make a difference and then I make another change and it seems like I did nothing. It's definitely one of the more bizarre problems I've encountered.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io