Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Although I voted for Nectar/Canning, Laundry is something all my Sims can do.

lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
I'm one of those people that actually enjoyed laundry in TS3. Currently I have 3 saves in 3 worlds in TS3. I have about 12-14 households with a little over 50 Sims. Each one has a washer and dryer in their home, except my girl who lives in Bridgeport. I loved nectar making/canning, everything farm related in TS3, but only a handful of my Sims ever made nectar and sold it for a living. Several of my Sims have basements w/ a nectar cellar and they purchase it from a shop I have in one of my towns. I used to have a save in Riverview w/ a large farm and the girl sold nectar and made a lot of money doing it. A couple of my TS3 households have gardens and they like to preserve food especially before winter hits. While, I would have loved to see this feature back, I know most of my Sims in TS4 would not participate in canning or nectar making (but I would've loved to be able to have it for sale in my retail store).

Off the grid sounded very cool to me too. I guess the closest I ever played in that way was when I had my homeless Sim who grew her own food, but had no electricity and she used the laundromat to do her clothes. TS4 could have expanded on this concept. Considering how in depth nectar making was w/ World Adventures, I wonder if a stuff pack would've been able to do it justice. Either way, I am fine w/ laundry coming back because it adds some degree of realism to my game and I know all my Sims in San Myshuno will either go to a laundromat (if it's possible) or have a washer/dryer in their homes. In TS3, my large families always had a lot of laundry, even the housekeeper could not keep up and the moms/dads were always washing clothes. Eventually my teens did too. It was always so chaotic.

I definitely understand the frustration some feel in the community. Who knows if the team will ever implement the other ideas, but I honestly hope they do at some point. Laundry itself won't be as fun as making nectar at least not for me, but as much as I'll use it during my gameplay, I figure I will get my $10 worth ;) .

Disclaimer: I'm not coming for anyone or bashing their choice at all. I'm just sharing my own personal perspective on how I see I can use laundry in TS4, similar to how I did in TS3. I also have the store laundry set.

Comments

• DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,577 Member
    I hope they take the other 3 ideas and put it into a GP and call that Eco Living GP, and just make this Laundry SP be a Laundry Room SP.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    @DeKay That's honestly what I hope too. I feel it could be flushed out more. We're getting laundry now, so we have to deal with it, but the other new concepts were cool.
  • bshag4lvbshag4lv Posts: 9,374 Member
    edited July 2017
    I totally agree with you lasummerb, I loved the laundry in Sims 3 and oddly enough my sims weren't pigs, lol. They pretty much did their laundry automatically.

Unfortunately when I went to vote for laundry the sneaky gurus had included canning and nectar making and when I saw this, I caved. I love laundry but that nectar making in Sims 3 stole my heart, lol. :D

Hopefully the simgurus will take pity on us and include these options in a game pack.

Edit for typos
    In my house, dog hair sticks to everything but the dog.
    @bshag4lv Yeah, same my Sims were usually good about taking care of their laundry. I have a teen Sim who has the slob trait, he has a hamper in this room, but his clothes never make it in there, plus he makes a complete mess in the bathroom after he showers. :D
  • cjosecjose Posts: 265 Member
    I'm sure the canning/nectar will at least make it into another Stuff pack at the very least. People want it too bad to not include it for forever.
    @cjose I honestly hope it does, because I would love to sell it in a retail store or send my Sims nectar tasting, like I've done in real life. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited July 2017
    I'm not sure of this at all. I would not be so angry if I was sure we could still possibly get the 3 actual eco -friendly options - as soon as possible else where - but I highly doubt we will get it because of Grahams first statement on this project that he was choosing ideas for the 5 choices not other wise planned for use in the future in eps, gps or the free content devs. So all the things are apparently not planned - and why they were available for the sp. This he made clear was the losing ideas would be filed away for possible future reference - but as we all know who have been with EA since the Sims started - generally when something is filed away it is for the duration of the present series and gets revisited when they make the next series - so a chance of having it in Sims 4 - seems pretty slim to me if people don't keep making a lot of noise about it all - we can probably forget it. Or if it does appear will be "show-horned" in and not like we expected.

I mean when Graham started the laundry people up to petition for laundry - who in their right mind that actually know what it means to be eco friendly would have supposed that laundry MACHINES would have been something even considered for an eco friendly pack. So to me they shoe-horned them in to a pack not by all rights expected to have totally one of the worst offenders of being eco friendly of all household equipment - in it - simply because it was not planned for gps or eps coming and available for an sp even when it does not fit the theme - so to me that is shoe - horning it in where it doesn't belong creating strife and anger to some of us who feel we were tricked into believing this would be an eco friendly pack. Technically this pack should have included all three of the actual eco friendly ideas with no laundry period.

Imagine the reception the other stuff will get if it is also shoe horned into inappropriate theme packs - and possibly not be as we visualize.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• ParaleeParalee Posts: 1,166 Member
    edited July 2017
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    I'm not sure of this at all. I would not be so angry if I was sure we could still possibly get the 3 actual eco -friendly options - as soon as possible else where - but I highly doubt we will get it because of Grahams first statement on this project that he was choosing ideas for the 5 choices not other wise planned for use in the future in eps, gps or the free content devs. So all the things are apparently not planned - and why they were available for the sp. This he made clear was the losing ideas would be filed away for possible future reference - but as we all know who have been with EA since the Sims started - generally when something is filed away it is for the duration of the present series and gets revisited when they make the next series - so a chance of having it in Sims 4 - seems pretty slim to me if people don't keep making a lot of noise about it all - we can probably forget it. Or if it does appear will be "show-horned" in and not like we expected.

I mean when Graham started the laundry people up to petition for laundry - who in their right mind that actually know what it means to be eco friendly would have supposed that laundry MACHINES would have been something even considered for an eco friendly pack. So to me they shoe-horned them in to a pack not by all rights expected to have totally one of the worst offenders of being eco friendly of all household equipment - in it - simply because it was not planned for gps or eps coming and available for an sp even when it does not fit the theme - so to me that is shoe - horning it in where it doesn't belong creating strife and anger to some of us who feel we were tricked into believing this would be an eco friendly pack. Technically this pack should have included all three of the actual eco friendly ideas with no laundry period.

Imagine the reception the other stuff will get if it is also shoe horned into inappropriate theme packs - and possibly not be as we visualize.

I have zero hopes for anything in TS4 being as we want or expect it to be.
    What I think is funny is how Graham claimed the process really worked like it did where they pick the supporting objects and THEN the game play objects, but when other packs came out he said that the supporting objects were decided AFTER the game play objects because they compliment the game play objects (as the objects in this pack mysteriously complimented laundry before laundry was ever picked).
    Because of this experience not only will I not be buying future TS4 Stuff Packs but the other teams and all of their other packs can plum it too.
    You can watch Graham be desperate to avoid lines of questioning on their scamming throughout the forums. Its pretty great actually. Me and a few others got him so flustered he closed a thread. He was provided with links containing his direct contradictions and couldn't handle it. He forgot that when lying on the internet you should match your lies with other things you've said elsewhere, because it can all be looked up.
    My speculations on hints for future content:
    -Cars Update
    -Spiral/Diagonal Stairs Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Romance Pack (possibly combined with Hotel Pack)
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    edited July 2017

What I think is funny is how Graham claimed the process really worked like it did where they pick the supporting objects and THEN the game play objects, but when other packs came out he said that the supporting objects were decided AFTER the game play objects because they compliment the game play objects (as the objects in this pack mysteriously complimented laundry before laundry was ever picked).
    Because of this experience not only will I not be buying future TS4 Stuff Packs but the other teams and all of their other packs can plum it too.
    You can watch Graham be desperate to avoid lines of questioning on their scamming throughout the forums. Its pretty great actually. Me and a few others got him so flustered he closed a thread. He was provided with links containing his direct contradictions and couldn't handle it. He forgot that when lying on the internet you should match your lies with other things you've said elsewhere, because it can all be looked up.

Exactly. Look how they stumbled when we called them on everything to do with Sims 4 since day 1 - you'd have thought by now they would realize - WE are not you average gamer that takes a game how they think it should be - and when they foul things up we remember.

I saw how they closed that thread saying folks were going off topic when they were all on topic replying about the same thing as the querier (OP) did. He has to be wise enough to realize many of us are not 12 and most of us are very wise. We don't take things at face value (because they say so) because we are smart human beings. But really when they make a theme - then the least they can do is stick to the theme and stop doing something this outrageous as to pick of all things an eco friendly theme - then put in something not at all eco friendly in the mix. Especially when it has a darn petition of people supporting it.

The devs need to come to grips that even the people who were 13 when Sims started are now full grown bonafide adults who actually are smart enough not to have the wool pulled over their eyes. . We won't be fooled by Tom - foolery ethics. I so agree with all you said for sure.

(I was not 13 when Sims started - much older - so I was wise to how the Sims went from day one. I was also wise to how they followed a pattern up until Sims 4 came along and now they are all over the place. Pure Chaos, It's not us, but them that need to get with the program.)

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Exactly. Look how they stumbled when we called them on everything to do with Sims 4 since day 1 - you'd have thought by now they would realize - WE are not you average gamer that takes a game how they think it should be - and when they foul things up we remember.

I saw how they closed that thread saying folks were going off topic when they were all on topic replying about the same thing as the querier (OP) did. He's has to be wise enough to realize many of us are not 12 and most of us are very wise. We don't take things at face value (because they say so) because we are smart human beings. But really when they make a theme - then the least they can do is stick to the theme and stop doing something this outrageous as to pick of all things an eco friendly theme - then put in something not at all eco friendly in the mix. Especially when it has a darn petition of people supporting it.

The devs need to come to grips that even the people who were 13 when Sims started are now full grown bonafide adults who actually are smart enough not to have the wool pulled over their eyes. . We won't be fooled by Tom - foolery ethics. I so agree with all you said for sure.

(I was not 13 when Sims started - much older - so I was wise to how the Sims went from day one. I was also wise to how they followed a pattern up until Sims 4 came along and now they are all over the place. Pure Chaos, It's not us, but them that need to get with the program.)

Even if you were, I was in grade 7 when Sims 1 got big and I started playing it hahahaha So I would have been about 13. Its been a part of my life for so long its one of those things I don't know what I'd do without if it weren't around anymore. And I have been obsessed with it for so long that I can really tell when things are going super south.

Its like The Simpsons. Its been around since literally the year I was born and I can't imagine a world without it being made still, but you can really tell when they're struggling for story lines as a result hahahahahaha
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    I have been with the Sims since 1999 when Will Wright needed 100 testers (of various ages) of his game to test it and Sim City from day one. In fact it was because of Sims City I learned about The Sims being made - in a disk Will Wright had included in my Sims City game.

In dreams - I LIVE!

@Writin_Reg I honestly hope we do get the other options. However when I made this thread, it was from my own personal perspective, that even though I didn't vote for laundry, more of my Sims would utilize it over nectar making/canning. In my opinion, they should have just added it to a larger pack. In hindsight, considering how in depth nectar making was, I don't think a small stuff pack would've done it justice. Either way I'll purchase the laundry pack.
    @somethingstellar I was about 9/10 when The Simpsons came on. I feel bad that Bart and Lisa are still kids when I'm well into my 30s. :D
    I have been with the Sims since 1999 when Will Wright needed 100 testers (of various ages) of his game to test it and Sim City from day one. In fact it was because of Sims City I learned about The Sims being made - in a disk Will Wright had included in my Sims City game.

I think we should expect The Sims to go the same way Sim City did. Total ruin, eventual shut down of studios.
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    lasummerb wrote: »
    @somethingstellar I was about 9/10 when The Simpsons came on. I feel bad that Bart and Lisa are still kids when I'm well into my 30s. :D

Aaaaahahahaha I know right. I'm 29 meanwhile they're still 8
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    LOL - I have kids older then either of you. I just lost my dad on June 23rd - but he used to enjoy watching me play with the Sims. He was very adamant that they stop portraying elders as looking and acting like they had one foot in the grave though or dying easily doing ordinary things. In fact he still rode bikes, played golf, bowling, and an Italian game called Bocci. He always said if he did play computer games he could have liked a game about life called the Sims - but not as long as they made people his age rather useless and look so broken.

Oddly activity is not what got my dad - the environment basically got him - so you can see why I am even more "fueled" on an actual eco -friendly world as great people like my dad would still be here and doing all the great things he did had we not made a mess of our environment. In games where our young often learn things from - we need to be mindful of this and really stop supporting things that are bad for the environment. Then perhaps the people who make these things will smarten up when people stop supporting those products. But anyway - I have been on that train well before now - and a lot longer than the Sims games existed - but it does particularly sting deep in my heart right now that this was the same day my dad died that laundry got picked. So you can see why it cuts me so deeply.

Anyway - enjoy your laundry I guess - I won't and can't. My Sims will never engage in things that add to the problem. I am not a deviant player so - I just can't support that.

In dreams - I LIVE!

LOL - I have kids older then either of you. I just lost my dad on June 23rd - but he used to enjoy watching me play with the Sims. He was very adamant that they stop portraying elders as looking and acting like they had one foot in the grave though or dying easily doing ordinary things. In fact he still rode bikes, played golf, bowling, and an Italian game called Bocci. He always said if he did play computer games he could have liked a game about life called the Sims - but not as long as they made people his age rather useless and look so broken.

Oddly activity is not what got my dad - the environment basically got him - so you can see why I am even more "fueled" on an actual eco -friendly world as great people like my dad would still be here and doing all the great things he did had we not made a mess of our environment. In games where our young often learn things from - we need to be mindful of this and really stop supporting things that are bad for the environment. Then perhaps the people who make these things will smarten up when people stop supporting those products. But anyway - I have been on that train well before now - and a lot longer than the Sims games existed - but it does particularly sting deep in my heart right now that this was the same day my dad died that laundry got picked. So you can see why it cuts me so deeply.

Anyway - enjoy your laundry I guess - I won't and can't. My Sims will never engage in things that add to the problem. I am not a deviant player so - I just can't support that.

I am enjoying laundry, in TS3 after I uninstalled TS4 bahahahaha <3

Sorry about your dad :(
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
  • IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    The counter argument to be made against "laundry is something all of my sims can do" is that eventually, homogeneous game-play leads to stagnation. It's why the re-use of animations sees a lot of scornful and disappointed reaction. Too much of the "caters to everyone" eliminates diversity. In the case of laundry, some associate the activity with chores. Which everyone has to do in one form or another already.

At least with canning, you're given a new option that makes your Sim stand out against the others and contributes to seemingly "new" game-play.

Of course, there are downsides for implementing too many "unique" activities as well.

I think a lot of the animosity toward laundry though comes from a place that feels like Sims 4 doesn't need laundry, because for many players -- Sims 4 still struggles to contribute active unique game-play. Especially when compared to Sims 3 or Sims 2. And laundry doesn't contribute to bettering Sims 4 in that regard.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
    Izzabelle wrote: »
    The counter argument to be made against "laundry is something all of my sims can do" is that eventually, homogeneous game-play leads to stagnation. It's why the re-use of animations sees a lot of scornful and disappointed reaction. Too much of the "caters to everyone" eliminates diversity. In the case of laundry, some associate the activity with chores. Which everyone has to do in one form or another already.

At least with canning, you're given a new option that makes your Sim stand out against the others and contributes to seemingly "new" game-play.

Of course, there are downsides for implementing too many "unique" activities as well.

I think a lot of the animosity toward laundry though comes from a place that feels like Sims 4 doesn't need laundry, because for many players -- Sims 4 still struggles to contribute active unique game-play. Especially when compared to Sims 3 or Sims 2. And laundry doesn't contribute to bettering Sims 4 in that regard.

Its not even that Sims 4 doesn't need laundry. There's lots of things Sims 4 doesn't need. Most of the animosity comes from the fact that we were presented with the opportunity to actually have input on something. The opportunity to choose something fresh and new for our games. But instead it got wasted on something that we all knew would have come in some form eventually anyway. And it was something that would have fit very nicely in to the Parenthood pack we all JUST shelled out money for.

Like, I never paid much mind to the fact that laundry was in the Sims game. I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. It was one of those things that was there but I just never used, like so many things in build/buy that I just never use because its just not part of my style. Now when I see them even in Sims 3 i'm like "pfft what a waste of life"
    -Cars Update
    -Hotel Pack
    -Bands Pack
    -Royalty Pack
    -Fashion Design Pack
    -Fairies Pack
    -Werewolf Pack
    -France-inspired World
    @Writin_Reg I'm really sorry to hear about your father.
    I agree regarding The Sims portrayal of elders. When I was writing my TS3 story a few years ago, it frustrated me that all the elder male clothing were just cardigans. I look at my grandfather, he's in his 90s and he's always been so hip and with it. None of my elders in TS3 had canes and they all liked to continue working through self employment.
    edited July 2017
    @Izzabelle There's really no counterargument for me at least, as I said in my op, this is my own personal perspective on how I can use laundry, since whether I asked for it not (I didn't) it's coming anyway. I also don't believe the game needs to get rid of old gameplay like laundry just to make room for newer ideas. I think they should all be incorporated. Enough of my Sims lead different lives that to a point I do see them as different than each other. Is laundry that exciting? No, but I know it's something I will use pretty much each time I play a family.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    @Izzabelle
    For me, laundry will bring diversity between my households. Some will have a laundry room, some won't. Some will use the laundry system, some won't. Some will have dirty clothes everywhere, some won't. Some will hang, some will dry they clothes.
  • IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    Neia wrote: »
    @Izzabelle
    For me, laundry will bring diversity between my households. Some will have a laundry room, some won't. Some will use the laundry system, some won't. Some will have dirty clothes everywhere, some won't. Some will hang, some will dry they clothes.

Right. My point being that doing/not doing laundry, if it is seen as a chore, isn't contributing game-play -- but putting people in a position where their game-play option is to choose "not" to do laundry. As a chore, this contributes as much exciting game-play and diversity as "some of my sims will do the dishes. Others won't".

Where as with Canning, for example, the very existence of it as a game-play option introduces a myriad of ways to explore the content. Examples: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/920466/food-preserves-offers-the-most-in-depth-gameplay/p1

Laundry and Canning can be something you choose to do or not do; but if you choose to utilize Canning, the game-play experiences and choices are wildly more unique to each player, whereas laundry is more generically acceptable to nearly any play-style.

Laundry may have been some people's staple for Sims game-play; but it's a huge swing and a miss for game-play that would have enriched Sims 4 as far as mechanical depth is concerned. Hopefully the devs see this as well, and don't pass up some of the other features for future SP/GP/EPs.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    As long as they change the theme I'm ok with it, or they are gonna waste a cool theme. Also I want the the freezer bunny back
    21mbz47.jpg
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited July 2017
    @Izzabelle
    It's not just doing laundry or not, it's how you do it too. Like whether you do it into a dedicated room or not, whether you use a dryer or a line, whether you wait until there're clothes everywhere before doing it, or keep the house clean at all time. You can have a distinct feel depending on the household, and depending on the Sims traits.

Canning would have been mostly turning something edible from my inventory into some other edible thing in my inventory. The myriad of gameplay experiences are basically another variant of the various craft activities (and we have quite a lot of them already) or the various edible things we already have. If you choose to use canning, you'll end up with the same kind of game-play experiences you already have with baking for example. Preparing food, turning your gardening produces into something else, or conserving food are all already doable in the game. It would have been another way to do it. Don't get me wrong, that's nice, especially if you like canning irl, but it's not like it would have bring some huge mechanical depth, but more another flavor. Flower arrangment would have been more interesting I think because it would have used something else than fruits/vegetables, something we currently don't have any use of, it would have turned something basically useless from the inventory into deco objects. It's not that game changing either, but at least more than canning.