Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Stuff not so eco friendly?

2...Next

Comments

• DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,939 Member
    Can someone explain what items are Eco in the objects that won the vote in this pack are. The ones I circled in green I see as could be Eco. To me Eco is recycled furniture like tire chairs, couches, mirrors, etc.

mvoh04.jpg

They're pretty much all eco-friendly inspired, the exception would be the incandescent light bulb and I guess the dyed blue forniture (which can be easily fixed with a recolour in game), yet it's still wood and therefore quite less problematic since it could be repurposed. If you look at the materials used, they're all either direct from nature or (potentially) reused, even the sinks, avoiding the wicked industrialized process.

Ok, Thank you.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Can someone explain what items are Eco in the objects that won the vote in this pack are. The ones I circled in green I see as could be Eco. To me Eco is recycled furniture like tire chairs, couches, mirrors, etc.

mvoh04.jpg

They're pretty much all eco-friendly inspired, the exception would be the incandescent light bulb and I guess the dyed blue forniture (which can be easily fixed with a recolour in game), yet it's still wood and therefore quite less problematic since it could be repurposed. If you look at the materials used, they're all either direct from nature or (potentially) reused, even the sinks, avoiding the wicked industrialized process.

The wood looks like recycled barn board so that is very much Eco and eco stain where you still see the grain like that is made from fruit and veggies. Blue and green are two of the easiest natural dyes to make and can also be used on cotton as well as other fabrics. All basket weave product are ecological but they are not cheap that's for sure. So yes everything here falls very much under eco but the light bulb and as long as the iron is just decoration and not electric. The rugs are hand made - so yes very eco.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »

mvoh04.jpg

The wood looks like recycled barn board so that is very much Eco and eco stain where you still see the grain like that is made from fruit and veggies. Blue and green are two of the easiest natural dyes to make and can also be used on cotton as well as other fabrics. All basket weave product are ecological but they are not cheap that's for sure. So yes everything here falls very much under eco but the light bulb and as long as the iron is just decoration and not electric. The rugs are hand made - so yes very eco.

I didn't know that about the blue and green natural dyes, thought they were always artificially painted, that's nice!!
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • SexyBudz420SexyBudz420 Posts: 8 New Member
    > @Orchid13 said:
    > I like the idea of this pack. I really do. My problem is that by seeing so many threads about laundry and now all the brainstorming they did, I've seen many things that don't seem appropriate for this pack.
    >
    > I have no problem with the addition of laundry, ironing and servos. Just not for this specific EP. I mean it might be cool to even get them earlier with another SP, but this is so not eco friendly in my opinion. They have some great ideas from what I saw in the brainstorming, like nectar making and bee things. What do you guys think?

---------------------------------------------------------------

well what if they had a hand washing or crank washing added i think it would be cool
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    > @Orchid13 said:
    > I like the idea of this pack. I really do. My problem is that by seeing so many threads about laundry and now all the brainstorming they did, I've seen many things that don't seem appropriate for this pack.
    >
    > I have no problem with the addition of laundry, ironing and servos. Just not for this specific EP. I mean it might be cool to even get them earlier with another SP, but this is so not eco friendly in my opinion. They have some great ideas from what I saw in the brainstorming, like nectar making and bee things. What do you guys think?

well what if they had a hand washing or crank washing added i think it would be cool

Yeah I think that would be cool too
    21mbz47.jpg
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    > @Orchid13 said:
    >

I think that they did show a hand wash in the art work, in fact I'm pretty sure that Graham said during the live stream today that all that rustic farmstead stuff will be in the Pack. And in that was a wash tub that was turned into a sink. Now Graham did say that we need to vote for laundry next week. If we want sims to laundry in the game. ;)
  • Gabe_ozGabe_oz Posts: 1,880 Member
    My issue with the pack is that none of it seems so eco to me. When I imagine eco living, I imagine small, modern, modular homes built from reclaimed/recycled material used in combination with green technology. It feels that people are more or less going for a farming thing more than anything. And I just can't see laundry going in this pack with this art style, though I could see it fitting with the original Style A with modern laundry machines. So while i'd like to see laundry in the pack, i'm probably not voting for it next week as I don't think it really fits eco living, though I would love to see laundry come in some type of contemporary living pack.
    Gabe_oz wrote: »
    My issue with the pack is that none of it seems so eco to me. When I imagine eco living, I imagine small, modern, modular homes built from reclaimed/recycled material used in combination with green technology. It feels that people are more or less going for a farming thing more than anything. And I just can't see laundry going in this pack with this art style, though I could see it fitting with the original Style A with modern laundry machines. So while i'd like to see laundry in the pack, i'm probably not voting for it next week as I don't think it really fits eco living, though I would love to see laundry come in some type of contemporary living pack.
    Those farmers that farm with the rustic equipment would wash their clothes some how. Otherwise they would have been walking around in public with clothes that smell like a farm. And believe me, you don't want to smell some of the smells that can be found on a farm. So why can't a rustic form of washing clothes go into this Pack?
  • fadingaudiofadingaudio Posts: 933 Member
    edited June 2017
    The majority of washers and dryers are now HE which is more sustainable and considered "eco friendly". I know lots of people who also use their drain water from washers to water their garden. You just have to get garden friendly soap. Drying on a clothes line is also pretty eco friendly. I am just sayin' washing and drying clothes isn't necessarily non-eco friendly. Most people even if they live a heavily eco lifestyle still own washers and dryers because sometimes you just have too.

And people complaining about the light bulb obviously do not understand that the majority of light bulbs are energy efficient as well. Most people even who live a heavily earth friendly life still use light bulbs and energy from the grid. They don't live in a shack with no heat, no water, and no light lol. I really have to wonder if anyone has actually been involved in the eco community. Most are normal people with normal looking homes and clothes. They just lessen their foot print and impact. The extremes you see aren't very common. When I lived in rural Montana the majority of us had washing machines, heat via wood burner, and light. Some had windmills for power, but they still got a lot of their energy from the grid. Windmills can only work when the wind is blowing so you usually just feed that power into the grid and get a discount on the power you use from the grid. Solar panels weren't very common because of expense, but even though you usually fed into the grid and got a discount on your grid power.
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited June 2017
    Where I live they don't care what kind of washer or dryer you have - they are not allowed. I live in an eco friendly village. On top of it we had to spend almost a year living in a camper waiting to get in here. I am still waiting on getting on the solar power grid. But they still will not allow the washers on or off the grid even if you could find room to put it some where. LOL..
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    The majority of washers and dryers are now HE which is more sustainable and considered "eco friendly". I know lots of people who also use their drain water from washers to water their garden. You just have to get garden friendly soap. Drying on a clothes line is also pretty eco friendly. I am just sayin' washing and drying clothes isn't necessarily non-eco friendly. Most people even if they live a heavily eco lifestyle still own washers and dryers because sometimes you just have too.

And people complaining about the light bulb obviously do not understand that the majority of light bulbs are energy efficient as well. Most people even who live a heavily earth friendly life still use light bulbs and energy from the grid. They don't live in a shack with no heat, no water, and no light lol. I really have to wonder if anyone has actually been involved in the eco community. Most are normal people with normal looking homes and clothes. They just lessen their foot print and impact. The extremes you see aren't very common. When I lived in rural Montana the majority of us had washing machines, heat via wood burner, and light. Some had windmills for power, but they still got a lot of their energy from the grid. Windmills can only work when the wind is blowing so you usually just feed that power into the grid and get a discount on the power you use from the grid. Solar panels weren't very common because of expense, but even though you usually fed into the grid and got a discount on your grid power.

Yeah but sims won't be watering their gardens with washers. Since it's only a SP if we get eco friendly stuff it should be one game play object which is extremely obvious and related to eco friendly stuff. Like the bee thing.

Also you are being a rude and it was meant to be a friendly discussion. I actually really like the idea of laundry, but not for this SP.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member

I had to read a bunch of stuff throughout my graduation which I focused on the correlation between ecology and the urban processes, and I had the opportunity to deal directly with eco interventions in different landscapes, so I tend to approach these matters from a wider, even global, view mostly. And while I think any effort is worthy, I can't consider a mere reduction in impact as something truly eco-friendly, not when it involves the same old industrialized habits. In my country, the eco villages I know work their hardest to avoid such machines, laundry is done by hand - and it's not as complicated as may seem. Unfortunately, they couldn't get rid of the refrigerator for what I know, but everything else were adapted or changed. You hardly see steel or plastic 'round there. They are conscious about the economic system we're all in, and they avoid it, as one way of living is not compatible with the other; they live off grid.

Of course we gotta be relative, I live in a tropical place where you could very much live without clothes the whole year and don't get a cold, we don't have negative temperatures. Way further south or further north people need to rely on artificial heat when the sun isn't enough, but those are the specific cases, I suppose? Most of the globe isn't polar. Yet, even in those cases I would have difficulty in calling them sustainable in a ecological way, therefore eco-friendly, 'cause in reality they are really not, they need not to be. But they try. I think in the pack we have neutral options to skip that discussion.

(The lightbulbs, where I live, are only incandescent and manufactured, good to know people solved it elsewhere. I find them beautiful and they remind me some places of my chidhood haha).
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited June 2017
    That is the problem I've had with this section as well. All these threads and nearly all of them have nothing to do with the ECO or Country themes that we/the devs are suppose to stick to. It has already been said that laundry would be a choice, but wouldn't be included if not picked. They mentioned laundry, but not machines. I'm thinking clothes line, wash boards ringer washers and the such; that is Eco friendly and country which meets BOTH the Eco and country requirements. I would love to comment on some things in this section, but too much of it has nothing to do with the requirements of the pack.

I love the theme and many of the objects look really nice and I'm hoping the stuff/main objects that goes with it are really nice. :)
    davina1221 wrote: »
    That is the problem I've had with this section as well. All these threads and nearly all of them have nothing to do with the ECO or Country themes that we/the devs are suppose to stick to. It has already been said that laundry would be a choice, but wouldn't be included if not picked. They mentioned laundry, but not machines. I'm thinking clothes line, wash boards ringer washers and the such; that is Eco friendly and country which meets BOTH the Eco and country requirements. I would love to comment on some things in this section, but too much of it has nothing to do with the requirements of the pack.

I love the theme and many of the objects look really nice and I'm hoping the stuff/main objects that goes with it are really nice. :)
    This was my point from the beginning Eco Living how I saw it in the concept art style that won the vote was a cheap or rustic items with little or no impact on the environment. And laundry was, and still is done that way today. There is an entire community of people that live near me that are not allow to have electricity in their homes. Which means that they don't have electric washers and driers in their homes. And there are no laundromats with in 5 miles of where they live neither. And yet they still manage to have clean clothes and linen everyday. Now how are they managing that? I can tell you how because I know some of these people. They wash their laundry the old fashion way, with a little elbow grease. That's how. These people that I speak of are as about Eco living as you are going to find. They don't have cars, they don't use power tools. They don't have electric appliances. Heck they are not even allow to have telephones in their homes. And yet they still do their laundry.
    Why do they have to live this way? Because their society does not allow this. These people are just simple folks living an Eco life.
  • Sid1701D9Sid1701D9 Posts: 4,718 Member
    Oh yeah and the eco friendly washers and dryers use less water and more electricity because they have to run longer, all I could see from the laundry stuff is more negative moodlets and more smelly piles. The only way it will work if the kids can sabatosh it, and the clothing thing it will fit into is parenthood, but the others could be integrated to work with all current packs.
    Sid1701d-"I love my life, live my life and live to play, laugh and have fun."

"Love will Fight, Love will Win and Love will Survive."
    Sid1701D9 wrote: »
    Oh yeah and the eco friendly washers and dryers use less water and more electricity because they have to run longer, all I could see from the laundry stuff is more negative moodlets and more smelly piles. The only way it will work if the kids can sabatosh it, and the clothing thing it will fit into is parenthood, but the others could be integrated to work with all current packs.
    Or just add solar panels, windmills, or hydro wheels. So that sims can generate their own electricity at home. And then they can waste all the electricity they want on laundry at home.
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    Gabe_oz wrote: »

I think it was unprofessional to put machines in. There should've been a warning that machines would only be included if the modern theme won over the country. I'm waiting to see what the gurus/team makes that fits both Eco and country which are the votes that were voted on and won in the first place, because no country washer will fit Eco and modern doesn't fit country.

It is nice that they are trying to listen, but at the expense of staying in the perameters? This was suppose to be something to show us how they work at packs, but I'm pretty sure on normal packs that ideas are rejected that don't meet the guidelines and machines don't meet the guideline of Eco friendly and if they did they wouldn't meet the country one. Something this requested should've never been in this voting because so many wanted it that the other choices were just there to tease us and had no shot at all. It should've been ideas that people liked, but that were not something that people were fussing about in a "I want toddlers" fashion.

I'm happy about the line and the tub, but at this point only wringer washers could meet the Eco and country directives and a standing wood stand for a dryer.

I do like the stuff that they made to go with this pack and I wish other things could be added like the other planter, broomhilda, a stick hamper to match the style already picked. :)