Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco Stuff not so eco friendly?

I like the idea of this pack. I really do. My problem is that by seeing so many threads about laundry and now all the brainstorming they did, I've seen many things that don't seem appropriate for this pack.

I have no problem with the addition of laundry, ironing and servos. Just not for this specific EP. I mean it might be cool to even get them earlier with another SP, but this is so not eco friendly in my opinion. They have some great ideas from what I saw in the brainstorming, like nectar making and bee things. What do you guys think?
21mbz47.jpg

Comments

• SimaniteSimanite Posts: 4,833 Member
    I think "eco-friendly" was just an umbrella term:

Eco Living Stuff – Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy.

Personally, I only picked this theme because laundry was mentioned so that's what I'll be voting for. But I see your viewpoint and there's a lot of things directly relating to being "eco-friendly" to vote for. :)

I feel like this theme would work well in a bigger pack.
  • keylimepiesimskeylimepiesims Posts: 1,908 Member
    Lol I think once the gameplay object vote comes around you can pretty much kiss the 'eco' part goodbye because obviously laundry is going to be the most voted object and there are already a lot of laundry themed objects from the concept art.

This was always going to be primarily a way to get laundry back.. :neutral:
  • Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    Simanite wrote: »
    I think "eco-friendly" was just an umbrella term:

Eco Living Stuff – Adopt new home technologies to help your Sim with domestic responsibilities and live an eco-friendly life. Potential areas of focus include laundry, home technology, and solar energy.

Personally, I only picked this theme because laundry was mentioned so that's what I'll be voting for. But I see your viewpoint and there's a lot of things directly relating to being "eco-friendly" to vote for. :)

I feel like this theme would work well in a bigger pack.
    Lol I think once the gameplay object vote comes around you can pretty much kiss the 'eco' part goodbye because obviously laundry is going to be the most voted object and there are already a lot of laundry themed objects from the concept art.

This was always going to be primarily a way to get laundry back.. :neutral:

I honestly don't get why people want laundry sooooo bad, but I respect it anyway. I even think it should be added before like in another pack about idk.. house chores pack? could work.

What really surprised me was to se servos though, i can get on board with laundry being in an "eco friendly" pack, but servos is pushing it too hard.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • heatherXkittyheatherXkitty Posts: 307 Member
    I would prefer laundry to be in a separate pack and keep this one purely eco.
    banner_3.jpg?w=1200

Me too!
    21mbz47.jpg
  • IzzabelleIzzabelle Posts: 153 Member
    Agreed. The pack's theme is taking over pretty heavily at this point -- I think a game-play object more eco-centric would be much better for the pack as a whole. If they do go with laundry... I hope there will be something special about it. Or some nice eco-twist to it.
    ZU6MUcP.gif
  • DominicLaurenceDominicLaurence Posts: 3,398 Member
    I feel like we started with the area of focus vote where 'home technologies' (+ laundry) and 'solar energy' were the intentions, and it end up winning because both "teams", the chores and the eco one, naturally united in choosing it as the first.

But we voted the art style, clothes and objects before deciding the main feature, and I guess we can all agree we went full eco on those choices, were everybody abroad the sim community, not only the two teams, helped on invisioning the pack. The thread for suggestions opened after the art style vote offers a glimpse on how we imagine it. The problem is: the eco friendly theme became a fact, it's no more just an acting title.

The sunroom/mudroom ideas were where these two teams converge and the objects vote did a good job by having enough chores features in case laundry wins, but all of them, with almost no exception, were eco related. This is an eco pack already, there's no escape, remains to be seen only how we're adding the 'home' part further, and, depending on what we choose, how we're sacrifying concepts for the sake of getting both.
    ID: StGerris
    Legacy Photomode
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    I feel like we started with the area of focus vote where 'home technologies' (+ laundry) and 'solar energy' were the intentions, and it end up winning because both "teams", the chores and the eco one, naturally united in choosing it as the first.

But we voted the art style, clothes and objects before deciding the main feature, and I guess we can all agree we went full eco on those choices, were everybody abroad the sim community, not only the two teams, helped on invisioning the pack. The thread for suggestions opened after the art style vote offers a glimpse on how we imagine it. The problem is: the eco friendly theme became a fact, it's no more just an acting title.

The sunroom/mudroom ideas were where these two teams converge and the objects vote did a good job by having enough chores features in case laundry wins, but all of them, with almost no exception, were eco related. This is an eco pack already, there's no escape, remains to be seen only how we're adding the 'home' part further, and, depending on what we choose, how we're sacrifying concepts for the sake of getting both.
    Laundry can be Eco because of how, and in what a sims washes their clothes.
    Example: If a sims does their laundry in a stream or in a hand cranked washing machine. Is that not Eco living?
    sunman502 wrote: »

Example: If a sims does their laundry in a stream or in a hand cranked washing machine. Is that not Eco living?

Oh no, the hand cranked is not a bit eco friendly for what I know, it just uses less water but the process of fabrication of that thing? Cruel hahaha (The devs can always claim the object is recycled or such). The stream process I can't judge without knowing it, if you have any spared time please tell me or indicate me where I can learn about it, I would truly appreciate.
    Legacy Photomode

Oh no, the hand cranked is not a bit eco friendly for what I know, it just uses less water but the process of fabrication of that thing? Cruel hahaha (The devs can always claim the object is recycled or such). The stream process I can't judge without knowing it, if you have any spared time please tell me or indicate me where I can learn about it, I would truly appreciate.
    Just what is your definition of Eco friendly? Just so you and I can be on the same page here. Because I don't think that we are on the same page as to what Eco Living means.

Just what is your definition of Eco friendly? Just so you and I can be on the same page here. Because I don't think that we are on the same page as to what Eco Living means.

From what I have studied I believe I can bring the eco-friendly term next to the concept of Sustainability, where the input and output of resources from the environment is the minimal possible, hence trying the best not to disturb its ecological processes and natural continuity. From that, we can exclude most of machines from being eco-friendly, almost entirely; steel and iron require mining (land and water polution), manufacturing them requires industries (air polution and a lot of water wasted), plus transportation, packing, structures, stores (and social implications)... I can't even begin to describe all the damage it does to nature. Then it all becames garbage.

I kown it can sound extreme like, everything currently is harmful to nature then, but it's pretty much that way indeed hahaha Now wood, handcrafted objects, while it still takes some from the trees, the process is way less noxious and they're easily recycled. We can see how it influenced the objects and even the art style we voted.

Now, there's the green seal we behold in some modern objects, it somehow relieves the consciousness of people from guilt, but it's more a commercial thing than anything else - the impact reduction is insignificant sometimes, like some liters of water, it's nothing next to the amount already spent in building and selling it. But, of course, we can always head the pack this way, that's the sacrifice in concept I was talking about.
    Legacy Photomode
  • AutumnBladenAutumnBladen Posts: 295 Member
    There were plenty of awesome eco friendly options listed as well. Now, I'd rather get some of those and laundry later so I am in that boat. So, with options like bee keeping, chicken house, jam making, canning, off the grid lot trait, etc. which are more eco friendly I would prefer to see them as they offer some more unique options to the game as well as some old favorites and classics. While I know plenty of people who are all like why can't we have a farming pack and a laundry pack separate from this and that's great, some of the options they're considering like off the grid lot trait and such are very eco friendly related. Also if this pack winds up being something less eco related there is a title of the game vote where we can name it something more appropriate.

From what I have studied I believe I can bring the eco-friendly term next to the concept of Sustainability, where the input and output of resources from the environment is the minimal possible, hence trying the best not to disturb its ecological processes and natural continuity. From that, we can exclude most of machines from being eco-friendly, almost entirely; steel and iron require mining (land and water polution), manufacturing them requires industries (air polution and a lot of water wasted), plus transportation, packing, structures, stores (and social implications)... I can't even begin to describe all the damage it does to nature. Then it all becames garbage.

I kown it can sound extreme like, everything currently is harmful to nature then, but it's pretty much that way indeed hahaha Now wood, handcrafted objects, while it still takes some from the trees, the process is way less noxious and they're easily recycled. We can see how it influenced the objects and even the art style we voted.

Now, there's the green seal we behold in some modern objects, it somehow relieves the consciousness of people from guilt, but it's more a commercial thing than anything else - the impact reduction is insignificant sometimes, like some liters of water, it's nothing next to the amount already spent in building and selling it. But, of course, we can always head the pack this way, that's the sacrifice in concept I was talking about.
    Oh okay then. Then you and I are not entirely on the same page here.
    What I meant by Eco is as in Economy. In other words nothing to fancy and or expensive as well as friendly to the environment. Because that's what I understood Eco Living to be when I looked at the style of art that won the vote. And a hand cranked washing machine would fit very nicely into that category. Since it's not fancy, or expensive, and uses a lot less water than most of the fancy, and expensive models do. Hope this explains what I meant by Eco friendly. :)

Oh okay then. Then you and I are not entirely on the same page here.
    What I meant by Eco is as in Economy. In other words nothing to fancy and or expensive as well as friendly to the environment. Because that's what I understood Eco Living to be when I looked at the style of art that won the vote. And a hand cranked washing machine would fit very nicely into that category. Since it's not fancy, or expensive, and uses a lot less water than most of the fancy, and expensive models do. Hope this explains what I meant by Eco friendly. :)

We definitely agree on that. I just don't think a laundry machine can be eco-friendly based on the stuff I listed. The problem is the machine part, not the laundry itself. We can say it is more economic then, but it's not friendly to the evironment at all.

That been said, give me a wash tub and a clothes line and all the problems are solved.
    Legacy Photomode
  • Monet11Monet11 Posts: 1,422 Member
    It would have been a nice pack to have a wash tub and clothes line added. Also solar panels and a windmill. And I would have been ok with a hammock as well. :smile:
    A wash tub with a wash board would fit just a well. :)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    ECO in Eco friendly stands for ecological - not economy.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

ec·o-friend·ly - literally means earth-friendly or not harmful to the environment. This term most commonly refers to products that contribute to green living or practices that help conserve resources like water and energy. Eco-friendly products also prevent contributions to air, water and land pollution. Ecofriendly means not harmful to the environment. ecological.
    adjective

Ecological green home is a type of house designed to be environmentally friendly and sustainable. And also focuses on the efficient use of "energy, water, and building materials."

What is an eco house?
    An Eco-house is an environmentally low-impact home designed and built using only materials and technology that reduces its carbon footprint and lowers its energy needs.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Take a closer look at the art style that won the vote again.
    ec·o-friend·ly - literally means earth-friendly or not harmful to the environment. This term most commonly refers to products that contribute to green living or practices that help conserve resources like water and energy. Eco-friendly products also prevent contributions to air, water and land pollution. Ecofriendly means not harmful to the environment. ecological.
    adjective

Ecological green home is a type of house designed to be environmentally friendly and sustainable. And also focuses on the efficient use of "energy, water, and building materials."

What is an eco house?
    An Eco-house is an environmentally low-impact home designed and built using only materials and technology that reduces its carbon footprint and lowers its energy needs.

I understood that as well.

I
    Take a closer look at the art style that won the vote again.

I saw the clothes and I don't see how they have to do with economy. They took two points of view a more rural one and a more "modern one" since nowadays because of the pollution and for the sake of the environment a lot of things have been coming up to save electricity and water. Some of these things can be more expensive.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    edited June 2017
    I'm neutral on the idea of laundry. I'm still undecided for the main object/new feature vote. I will admit that I'll think it is odd to call it an "eco-living" pack with laundry machines if there aren't things like solar panels and recycling. (They could add the clickable ability to turn a trash bin into a recycling bin, so you click on it and the drop-down menu says "Recycle" instead of "Throw Away"). I also agree with the previous comment about the single lightbulb not being eco-friendly. At this point, it seems like more of a domestic-themed SP.

I do like enough of the stuff (objects, clothing, style) to be interested in the pack for that reason. I'm probably going to be interested regardless of what wins the new feature vote. We'll see though. My opinion could change. It'll depend on the execution.

I will say that I'll be interested to see what other home technologies might be suggested as well.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
    I'm neutral on the idea of laundry. I'm still undecided for the main object/new feature vote. I will admit that I'll think it is odd to call it an "eco-living" pack with laundry machines if there aren't things like solar panels and recycling. (They could add the clickable ability to turn a trash bin into a recycling bin, so you click on it and the drop-down menu says "Recycle" instead of "Throw Away"). I also agree with the previous comment about the single lightbulb not being eco-friendly. At this point, it seems like more of a domestic-themed SP.

I do like enough of the stuff (objects, clothing, style) to be interested in the pack for that reason. I'm probably going to be interested regardless of what wins the new feature vote. We'll see though. My opinion could change. It'll depend on the execution.

I will say that I'll be interested to see what other home technologies might be suggested as well.

I really liked the theme, I just think we could miss out on a lot of new eco friendly features. I don't dislike the idea of laundry at all, I just don't think it's appropriate for this particular pack.
    21mbz47.jpg
    edited June 2017
    So far what they have shown is very ECO -friendly - as light, airy, and natural fabrics and product - recycled wood decor, plants, and hand woven rattan type furniture - very much Eco style but economical it isn't. Natural fibres materials are often hand - made and grown on eco farms. They usually do not use metal parts like snaps or zippers - they are laced and hand sewn. They use ties and buttons or are pull over style. The wood looks very much like recycled barn board furniture all hand crafted and reused. So I do not get where you mention the style Sunman - as the art style shout from the mountains ECOlogically friendly to the earth. These type of clothes actually respond best to hand washing and line drying - both of which is fast and easy in these natural fabrics. I buy eco-friendly clothing and know where it comes from and how it is made - believe me if you are watching your pennies - eco-friendly clothing is not cheap. Far from it - but it last for ever. Boho style is very eco-friendly. Recycling hand made barn board is the best way to cut down on cutting down trees. Trees clean the air so one always reuses wood - don't burn it and don't cut down more trees. In my area the Northeast USA- clear cutting is prohibited. You cut down a tree and you have to plant 10 in it's place. They don't allow us to clear a lot for building a house - you can only clear enough in the center of the lot for the foot print of your house and a garden area, then they expect you to have the removed wood made into boards for building your house. This is a very eco friendly state. You look out any window in my house and all you see is woods - huge staggering pines, Oaks, Birches, Maples as far as the eye can see and wildlife is abundant. It does it's thing and I do mine. We love in peace.

You see eco friendly as poor when it is the exact opposite in the beginning, but the cost is worth it and it balances out in time - but what's more is eventually it will pay you back many times over - never mind all the health benefits you reap. But best of all it makes life better for all living things and we waste nothing.

We don't have washers and dryers in our house nowadays. Once a week my hubby drops the laundry off at an eco-friendly laundromat and then picks the clean clothes back up on his way home from work. Yes we have eco friendly laundromats that use eco-friendly products. But when we did have them - my electricity bill was never under 170 dollars a month and I used the most energy efficient appliances I could find - my water bill was almost 200 dollars every 3 month and there are just my hubby and I. (We do also have pets). Now with just the washers and dryers gone - our water bill is under 50 dollars every three months, and my electricity is under 70 dollars a month. The only other appliances I got rid of was the dishwasher and the microwave. As soon as we get on line for the solar and wind power system even that will go away. (My kids all have house within 5 minutes of my house. About 15 minutes by bike).
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!

• DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    Can someone explain what items are Eco in the objects that won the vote in this pack are. The ones I circled in green I see as could be Eco. To me Eco is recycled furniture like tire chairs, couches, mirrors, etc.

mvoh04.jpg
    Can someone explain what items are Eco in the objects that won the vote in this pack are. The ones I circled in green I see as could be Eco. To me Eco is recycled furniture like tire chairs, couches, mirrors, etc.

mvoh04.jpg

They're pretty much all eco-friendly inspired, the exception would be the incandescent light bulb and I guess the dyed blue forniture (which can be easily fixed with a recolour in game), yet it's still wood and therefore quite less problematic since it could be repurposed. If you look at the materials used, they're all either direct from nature or (potentially) reused, even the sinks, avoiding the wicked industrialized process.
    Legacy Photomode