Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 Support

Since there's no interest in bringing The Sims FreePlay to the Windows Store, a The Sims Mobile version would be more appealing since it's a brand new game released today (in Brazil).

Let me bring some info...
1 - Having a Windows 10 app (UWP) you can reach Desktop, Tablets & 2 in 1 Devices, Mobile, HoloLens and Xbox.
2 - Developing UWP means only one code, but six different categories. There are minor changes in the code to support all six of them.
3 - By having an UWP app in the Windows Store, you're increasing the reach the game can get.
4 - There are cool new features coming to Windows 10 later this year.
5 - This won't hurt Sims 4 PC sales, but will help people to discover the game, since Microsoft is now bringing Windows 10 to schools and colleges with Windows 10 S there are more opportunities than ever.

Comments

• NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    It's also interesting because of the recently announced Windows 10 S, that will come in new PCs later this year. In this new version of Windows, you can only run applications from the Windows 10 store, so having The Sims Mobile there would be the only The Sims these people would be able to play period.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    It's also interesting because of the recently announced Windows 10 S, that will come in new PCs later this year. In this new version of Windows, you can only run applications from the Windows 10 store, so having The Sims Mobile there would be the only The Sims these people would be able to play period.

Ew, what? ONLY? What about programs that are not from the Store?
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    Windows 10 S will only play its' own store apps and won't support Origin or Steam or any other similar, so that is one type of PC I will not be buying. I think it is trying to be an alternative to Chromebook.
    If there was a gaming Android PC or laptop would gaming be better? All I want is to see my Sims on the largest screen I can afford. Mobile apps don't appeal to me.
    DeKay wrote: »

You won't be able to run those, UNLESS you pay $50 to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro. But then you would lose the longer battery life and better performance of 10 S.
    Mchap353 wrote: »
    Windows 10 S will only play its' own store apps and won't support Origin or Steam or any other similar, so that is one type of PC I will not be buying. I think it is trying to be an alternative to Chromebook.
    If there was a gaming Android PC or laptop would gaming be better? All I want is to see my Sims on the largest screen I can afford. Mobile apps don't appeal to me.

There is an android distribution of linux that you can istall in any pc hardware, and you can use apps from the play store. But I don't know if it would improve gaming on android that much, as mobile games don't have graphics settings for that and a cheap midrange smartphone would play most games fine... or so I think...
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Windows 10 S isn't going to take off. The apps on the store are very bad. All Windows 10 S is Windows RT. Windows RT failed. The chance of Windows 10 S succeeding is very low.
  • AeroSmashAeroSmash Posts: 5 New Member
    This would be really cool! Play my save through iOS and Windows 10 PC would be amazing
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

You won't be able to install them. Windows 10S isn't their new mainstream operating system, it's kind of like ChromeOS. It's a reduced version of Windows 10 built specifically for low end laptops. Outside of the field of education, this isn't a product you would realistically buy for personal use.

You won't be able to install them. Windows 10S isn't their new mainstream operating system, it's kind of like ChromeOS. It's a reduced version of Windows 10 built specifically for low end laptops. Outside of the field of education, this isn't a product you would realistically buy for personal use.

I wouldn't even recommend it for education. Education should stick to Windows 10 Pro. That my opinion.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    james64468 wrote: »

I wouldn't even recommend it for education. Education should stick to Windows 10 Pro. That my opinion.

It's a cheaper alternative ideal for younger students who dont necessarily need advanced features and capabilities of the full OS, or performance intensive hardware.

I see them commonly with elementary students, where it can be a vital asset in developing skills such as spelling, reading, and coordination (probably more as well). Older students get iPads instead here.

It's a cheaper alternative ideal for younger students who dont necessarily need advanced features and capabilities of the full OS, or performance intensive hardware.

I see them commonly with elementary students, where it can be a vital asset in developing skills such as spelling, reading, and coordination (probably more as well). Older students get iPads instead here.

Still disagree on that. Windows 10 pro can run on tablets for the same price. There not real big difference between Windows 10 S and Windows 10 home/Pro. They all have the same features. I know a guy that used to work for Microsoft. His software is still being used by the Microsoft Windows team. He would say the same thing as me. The only difference is that Windows 10S is locked down and Windows 10 home/pro isn't. I have used a lot of Windows in my time. All Microsoft does takes the old version like Windows 8 and builds upon it. That how they design each Windows product.
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    Everybody talking bad about Windows 10 S are wrong with the info

You can't INSTALL programs from out of store, but you CAN RUN THEM
    Desktop software than come with Windows and from Microsoft AND desktop software than developers distribuite their installers via Windows Store
  • leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,062 Member
    edited May 2017
    In fact, for EA if make Origin an app, would be no problem to run all their games (than are installed and launched into Origin) at Windows 10 S
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited May 2017
    Windows prices for Windows varies depending on which version you get. Windows 10 Home cost $99 or lower, Windows 10 Pro $140 and up. I see Windows 10 S costing lower than Windows Home. Each version has it's own perks meaning There is features in Pro you will not get in Home and in Windows S apparently you will not get perks that comes with Home. Pro comes with all perks from each version below it and a little extra. Windows versions preceding the current version was sold the same way. It is going to be interesting to see how MS new version sells. Also MS sells the OS Retail and OEM. OEM is cheaper than Retail, the OS specs are the same but the licensing is a little different.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member

Primarily 10 S is a safer alternative for people who don't need to install apps from outside the Windows Store. It is meant as an alternative to Chrome Books but without the limitations because you can always upgrade Windows 10 S to Windows Pro if you need to. The upgrade is even free for students and cheap (only $49.99) for other consumers.
  • JoxerTM22JoxerTM22 Posts: 5,323 Member
    Guys what are you all talking about.
    I tried it on Nox, it works. Pretty sure it works on Bluestacks too.

Thanks to emulators, no phonegame needs to be ported on windows.
    Note that I tried it on my win10 PC. If someone is interested I can try it also on my Cube i7 Stylus (win10) tablet, but there is no reason it won't work there too.

Also a note for those interested in Mass Effect Andromeda but didn't buy it because of additional Apex HQ phone application and they don't have a phone or something. It works on emulators too and ME:A is a good game, so buy.
  • TheAnimeWolf19TheAnimeWolf19 Posts: 4 New Member
    No I think that the Windows store is already dead and if you port a "Mobile Game" to windows ten it starts to feel like an actually sims game and now mobile at all like how Fallout shelter was a mobile game and now its on Pc if lost it's Mobile touch to it
  • Veronica1239Veronica1239 Posts: 9 New Member
    I recently got a new computer, A Windows 10. I had it downloaded on an old computer. I downloaded the sims to my new one and every time I try to launch it says that it cant launch on my windows or that it contains an error. I uninstalled it on my old computer and it still won't work.
    edited January 2018
    @Veronica1239 Computer specifications please or brand name with model number. Have you done any windows 10 updates on your new computer?
  • Veronica1239Veronica1239 Posts: 9 New Member
    The screen of my computer is ACER and my box is ASUS. When I try to play the game it says it's not compatible for windows ten. I just updated my computer and it still doesn't work.
  • Blayer98Blayer98 Posts: 27 Member
    The problem with this is that if you release it on Windows Store then the game isn’t going to be called “The Sims Mobile” and would need another term since it’s on both smartphones AND PC. The Sims has always been on PC since Sims 1 and there’s no point releasing a downgraded port of Sims 4 and a slight carbon copy of Sims FreePlay on PC when Sims 4 is on PC lol... It would also be confusing to have two versions of The Sims on PC. EA also wouldn’t release it on Windows Store anyway, it would most likely be distributed on Origin like The Sims 2, 3 and 4 is.
  • Blayer98Blayer98 Posts: 27 Member
    Also keep in mind that The Sims 4 is literally designed to run on low end systems so people who have things like a low end laptop, etc.
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    Less than one year ago, Microsoft unveiled a new version of its Windows platform called Windows 10 S. It was a curious endeavor right from the get-go. Intended as a rival for Google’s Chrome OS, which continues to gain substantial ground in important markets like education, Windows 10 S is something of a “Windows 10 Lite” solution. It is only capable of running apps downloaded from the Microsoft Store, and Microsoft claimed that the “S” stood for “Simplicity.”
    Now, for the strange part. While Windows 10 S was launched to be a lite version of the Windows platform that could power lower-cost laptops to compete with Chromebooks, it actually hides the full version of Windows 10 inside. For a $50 fee, any Windows 10 S machine can be transformed into a full-fledged Windows 10 computer.
    It was an interesting idea, but industry watchers were skeptical from the start. Now, it turns out that their skepticism was warranted because Microsoft has already confirmed that it’s scrapping Windows 10 S and replacing it with a new Windows 10 S “Mode.”
  • cheifeagleeyecheifeagleeye Posts: 542 Member
    Microsoft managed to reel in a number of manufacturer partners ahead of its Windows 10 S announcement. Acer, Asus, Dell, Fujitsu, HP, Samsung, and Toshiba all signed on to release lower-cost laptops powered by Windows 10 S and starting at just $189. The move was a clear shot at Google, which has managed to steal the lion’s share of the education market in key regions thanks to ultra-affordable Chromebook laptops offered by Google’s partners.
    Some recent estimates suggest Chrome OS now owns about 60% of the US education market in grades K-12. This is hugely significant, of course, because students who grow up using Chrome instead of Windows are more likely to continue using it as adults. And now, even users who want high-end laptops that offer impressive performance can stick with Chrome thanks to devices like the latest Google Pixelbook.
    But it appears as though Windows 10 S hasn’t been received as well as Microsoft had hoped. Just 10 months after announcing the new operating system, Microsoft on Tuesday evening confirmed that it is being scrapped next year. In its place, Microsoft will build a new “S Mode” into Windows 10 Home, Windows 10 Enterprise, and Windows 10 Pro. Administrators in settings like schools will likely be able to lock devices in S Mode, though details are scarce for the time being.
    “We use Win10S as an option for schools or businesses that want the ‘low-hassle’/ guaranteed performance version,” Microsoft executive Joe Belfiore wrote in a post on Twitter. “Next year 10S will be a ‘mode’ of existing versions, not a distinct version.” Belfiore’s tweet was posted in response to a user asking why Windows S 10 market share data wasn’t being separated from overall Windows 10 market share figures.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    The reason why EA doesn’t want the Sims Freeplay and the Sims Mobile released for Windows 10 too isn’t about avoiding confusion but to avoid that some simmers will play one of the mobile games instead of buying TS4 and its huge number of packs! The mobile games are meant to mainly be played shorter periods in busses, trains, schools and other places when simmers aren’t home. They are made as they are because they aren’t meant to be played for hours at home like TS4 is. So that way EA was able to release the mobile games without having to fear that they would steal customers from TS4.

EA has also always kept sidegames small such that people soon would return to the main game. This was true both for the Sims Stories games and for the Sims Medieval.