Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Transferring Files -> New computer!

Hey All!! I recently purchased a new computer and will be setting it up tomorrow! However I really need to transfer all my game files (Sims 2,3,4) I'm aware that this will probably take hours!! Can someone pleaseeee help and let tell me how to go about doing this! I basically wanna keep my families and mods!! Much is appreciated :)

Comments

• rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,581 Member
    Hello :)
    It is exciting that you have a new computer! :)
    Your sims 4 game is linked to your origin account. After setting up your new computer, dowload and install Origin onto it. Then log into origin on your new computer using the same account that you used to register the game and packs on the old computer , then click on the Games Library section, click on the sims 4 picture, then download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what game packs, stuff packs and eps you own. You can then download/install them there.

Make a copy of your sims 4 folder on your old computer that is in Documents > Electronic Arts > ( then The Sims 4 folder is there ) and place it on an external drive.
    Then after installing the sims 4 game onto the new computer, play it once to generate a new sims 4 folder.
    In your sims 4 folder are your saves folder ( contains your save games) and the tray folder ( which contains your lots and households that you have uploaded to your library or have downloaded from the community gallery ) Replace the saves, tray, mods, custom music and screenshots folders that are in the new sims 4 folder with the same folders that are in the sims 4 folder on your external drive. You will then have your old save games and creations etc on your new computer.

With sims 2 and 3 ,other simmers may be able to help you with transferring files. I think though that Sims 3 transferring of files would be similar to Sims 4 ,
  • JSimmyJSimmy Posts: 51 Member
    Thank you so much for all your help! It's my first gaming pc and I'm so excited to play on it! But my old pc has so much sim history on it I couldn't give it away! Must transfer!
    Hi I've done all you said but now it keeps telling me one of my mods is preventing the game from starting, however i deleted that mod and it is still giving me the same message. Ive tried repairing it and nothing helps! Please help i have no idea what to do!!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    JSimmy wrote: »
    Hi I've done all you said but now it keeps telling me one of my mods is preventing the game from starting, however i deleted that mod and it is still giving me the same message. Ive tried repairing it and nothing helps! Please help i have no idea what to do!!

Try the rest of the mods. Pull them all out and add them back in gradually.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I have like over 300 mod and cc, won't that potentially make my game worse if i keep opening it up, adding and subtracting things?
    I have like over 300 mod and cc, won't that potentially make my game worse if i keep opening it up, adding and subtracting things?

Hello
    By testing the mods and cc, you can narrow down the cause of the issues,
    Because you have a lot of mods/cc, use the 50/50 method. Put half of your mods/cc into the mods folder then start the game and see if the issue is still there. If the issue is not there, then you know that those items work okay with the game. Then you can test the other half of your cc/mods.
    If the issue is still there with the first half, you will need to keep testing them to see what is causing the problem. Then you will need to test the second half of your cc/mods too.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @JSimmy - Just don't save the game when it successfully opens. Exit without saving and keep checking the CC. (And be glad you only have 300 - we see people go through this with a lot more!)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    This is very odd because I just removed ALL my mods and it is still giving me the same message

"Cannot start because the below file appears to be corrupted. If this file is a mod please remove it and try again. If not, please repair or reinstall the game via Origin.

C:\Users\MyName\Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims4\._Ade-Viola (Fixed). package"
    I'm not sure why I'm getting this message but the only option it's looking like is to just uninstall my game completely and just restart everything
    Omg I think I found the soulution! I read somewhere to change the name of the folder and my game immediately loaded! Now I have to go through each file and add them one by one to my game! Thanks so much guys!
    Omg I think I found the soulution! I read somewhere to change the name of the folder and my game immediately loaded! Now I have to go through each file and add them one by one to my game! Thanks so much guys!

I am glad that your issue has been fixed :)
  • luckycharms312luckycharms312 Posts: 1 New Member
    I bought the sims 3 on disc when I was still young and didn't know origin was a thing. Is there anyway I can get them onto my origin or transfer them to my new computer. I'm going from Mac to PC
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2017
    I bought the sims 3 on disc when I was still young and didn't know origin was a thing. Is there anyway I can get them onto my origin or transfer them to my new computer. I'm going from Mac to PC

Your in the sims 4 section :) However if you register your sims 3 disc codes on origin you get a free download version. you can also install the game on your new computer via disc. Are you trying to take your old sims 3 game files and transfer them to the new computer? if Im not mistaken disc save games can not be used on the download version but let me double check with @igazor

Hello @luckycharms312
    Your sims 3 game is linked to your origin account. When you first registered the game and any packs,they were added to your account.
    After setting up your new computer, dowload and install Origin onto it. Then log into origin on your new computer using the same account that you used to register the sims 3 game and packs on your old computer , then click on the Games Library section, click on the sims 3 picture, then download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited September 2017

Your in the sims 4 section :) However if you register your sims 3 disc codes on origin you get a free download version. you can also install the game on your new computer via disc. Are you trying to take your old sims 3 game files and transfer them to the new computer? if Im not mistaken disc save games can not be used on the download version but let me double check with @igazor
    It doesn't matter if the saved games are from a disk or digital install. They will work either way... *From personal experience.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Agreed. As long as any EPs you had in play previously will be in play now, the saved games themselves can go across Mac-Windows, disc-Origin-(even Steam), all of the kinds of installs. I'm still playing the same ongoing game I started in 2011 on TS3 for Mac (authorized digital download from before Origin for Mac existed) and it's been through the switch to Windows (Origin) and then Steam. It's still running just fine. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

It doesn't matter if the saved games are from a disk or digital install. They will work either way... *From personal experience.
    igazor wrote: »
    Agreed. As long as any EPs you had in play previously will be in play now, the saved games themselves can go across Mac-Windows, disc-Origin-(even Steam), all of the kinds of installs. I'm still playing the same ongoing game I started in 2011 on TS3 for Mac and it's been through the switch to Windows (Origin) and then Steam. It's still running just fine. :)

Thats good to know. I don't know where I heard that you can't cross over disc save to download so I was not sure. Thanks
  • Neechan1Neechan1 Posts: 153 Member
    Speaking of origin...I know this is a bit off topic, but I can't run it without TS3 Diesel stuff pack CD in there... It worked fine until I installed DS...
    Neechan1 wrote: »
    Speaking of origin...I know this is a bit off topic, but I can't run it without TS3 Diesel stuff pack CD in there... It worked fine until I installed DS...

Hello @Neechan1
    You may be best to post about your issue in the Sims 3 Tech section of the forums
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions-en
  • Neechan1Neechan1 Posts: 153 Member
    rosemow wrote: »
    Neechan1 wrote: »

Hello @Neechan1
    You may be best to post about your issue in the Sims 3 Tech section of the forums
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions-en

Alright, thanks! I'll post it there.

I just figured i'd post it somewhere were it could be seen :)

• fdubbunnyfdubbunny Posts: 3 New Member
    I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy
    fdubbunny wrote: »
    I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy

Hello @fdubbunny
    Try logging into Origin using the same account that you used when registering the game, then go to games library and see if Sims 4 picture is there. Click on the sims 4 picture, and a new screen will pop up, then you can download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.

Your save game files though are not stored online. They are in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 -saves folder on your computer, You would have have needed to make a back up copy and placed it on an external drive. I am sorry :(
  • Shods95Shods95 Posts: 2 New Member
    Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I bought a new laptop (yay!) and am trying to transfer my saved games from my old laptop to my new one. I've read all the comments so re-downloaded sims 4 from origin, started the game so that the folder appeared, then deleted the saves, tray and mod folder and replaced them with the ones from my old computer.

I started the game up again and there is nothing there. No saved games, no mods (I checked and they are enabled) and it treats me as a beginner with a tutorial etc... The cache is empty and I've restarted the game. :disappointed:

I'm at a loss on what to do next - does anyone have any ideas that could help?

Thank you in advance :smile:
  • fdubbunnyfdubbunny Posts: 3 New Member
    > @rosemow said:
    > fdubbunny wrote: »
    >
    > I recently had to do a factory reset on my computer (it wasn't functioning properly), and I had just assumed I would be able to just redownload them, and I didn't particularly care about my save files, and I knew I would just redownload my mods again, but now I've gone to try and redownload them and I can't, the only option is to too buy them? I've already visited the Origin help site and it wasn't at all helpful. I'm pretty positive I've signed into the right Origin account, but now I can't even find the Order confirmations in that email, or any of my emails for tat atter, and I feel like I'm going crazy
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hello @fdubbunny
    > Try logging into Origin using the same account that you used when registering the game, then go to games library and see if Sims 4 picture is there. Click on the sims 4 picture, and a new screen will pop up, then you can download/install it there. Then click the extra content button that is half way down the page. That will take you to a screen that shows you what sims 3-ep and stuff packs that you own. You can then download/install them there.
    >
    > Your save game files though are not stored online. They are in your Documents -Electronic Arts - sims 4 -saves folder on your computer, You would have have needed to make a back up copy and placed it on an external drive. I am sorry :(

Yeah, I don't really care about the save files, I would've deleted them anyway tbh. I am 100% positive that I've signed into origin with the proper email, but the games still aren't there, however I did notice in the lower corner of the Origin screen it no longer says my email address like it used to, nor does it sow the profile picture that used to be there. instead the image is just a blue 'A', and it shows my username. Originally I had just assumed that it was because Origin updated, but could it be related to my missing games?