Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Making our own medicine/soaps and stuff

I know we sort of already have the ability with OR to make various potions and stuff. I don't use it enough but glad it's there. What if they could expand on that for the eco theme. Sims could make their own medicines and soaps maybe even harvest herbs for tea?

Comments

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I'd rather use a stove than another large item that would take up space.

That could work for canning
    This is what a preserving kit generally looks like:
    Ball-21-qt.-Fresh-Preserving-Kit-03.jpg

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

^^^ I have that exact same canning set. I have an orchard in my backyard. Figs, tangelos, key limes, mango. I make a lot of my own jams and jellies. I also head to the farmer's market and buy okra when it's in season and pickle it.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Movotti wrote: »

^^^ I have that exact same canning set. I have an orchard in my backyard. Figs, tangelos, key limes, mango. I make a lot of my own jams and jellies. I also head to the farmer's market and buy okra when it's in season and pickle it.

My mum used to make a lot of jams, chutneys, pickles, preserved fruits, and classic aussie dead'orse (tomato sauce, for use on pies and pasties). She used to grow a LOT of tomatos, all year round, and would swap them for fruits that other people grew.
    When I was younger, and had smaller hands, she'd have me packing fruit into the jars.

One great thing about living in the country, people tend to be more open to bartering
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,405 Member
    I like the soap making idea :smile: It's very eco and it would be nice to have something to craft. While canning station interests me too, I feel like we get a lot of food related stuff in general, so soap making would be a refreshing change.
  • BabySquareBabySquare Posts: 7,869 Member
    Making soaps would be cool, but medicine?

I don't know about you, but if I get ill I wouldn't be inclined to take an antibiotic if a family member had made it themselves. :D
    Gallery ID: babysquare
  • DryodaDryoda Posts: 56 Member
    I like these ideas! The self made soaps could then create different colored bubbles when taking a bubble path and leave sim in different moods. IF the soap is weak quality it could cause sim be itchy or something.
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    I'd like soap-making :) Put those herbs and flowers to some good use!
  • Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    Dryoda wrote: »
    I like these ideas! The self made soaps could then create different colored bubbles when taking a bubble path and leave sim in different moods. IF the soap is weak quality it could cause sim be itchy or something.

Hahaha, I like the idea of different colour bubbles! Even if it just means I can have a disco party in the tub :lol:
  • Meegie1977Meegie1977 Posts: 224 Member
    Great ideas! And you could sell them at the flea markets ☺
  • FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

Oh, I like this idea very much!
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member
    BabySquare wrote: »

I don't know about you, but if I get ill I wouldn't be inclined to take an antibiotic if a family member had made it themselves. :D

Depends what exactly it is your sick with, I for instance take ginger, lemon and honey in hot tea with a shot of whiskey for a bad cold or cough and it gets me through the worst of it. Mixing honey with lemon juice and taking it by the spoonful with soothe a sore throat and also help make coughs more productive. I've cured bronchitis with this on my own. Garlic is great as a natrual antibiotic as is ginger. Aloe Vera will clear up skin issues and even heal burns and cuts. Turmeric is great for joint or muscle pains. There are many natural cures out there, even for things like pink eye, or poison oak but I could go on for days posting them all, lol.

I personally never take an antibiotic unless I absolutely have to. In the long run they are terrible for your immune system along with the good natural bacteria your body needs to keep itsself in check. I'd much prefer natural ways.
  • hmae123hmae123 Posts: 1,912 Member

Love that idea! And maybe we could put the little soaps in a basket for decoration.
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    edited April 2017
    BabySquare wrote: »

Herbal remedies are different from antibiotics and usually come in tinctures,infusions, etc., and can even be encapsulated which is no different than buying encapsulated herbs at a vitamin store.

It is holistic medicine.

ETA We sort of already have something similar to this, though. The herbalism skill that came with Outdoor Retreat.
  • reiureyareiureya Posts: 80 Member
    I can see making herbal medicines, since some people already have Outdoor Living, but making soap would be a little harder. One of the key ingredients in making soap is fat. >.>; There isn't any hunting in the game. I dunno if you could get that kind of stuff from fish or not. If they did a Castaway spin off for this game, then soap making would totally be doable.

If we are talking about making herbal remedies though... Maybe they could add that to an EP (If we don't get anything like this in the stuff pack) and expand on it's capabilities. I mean a lot of people have Get to Work and Spa Day now. Maybe they could add a homeopathic medicine career where you make the medicine as one of your daily tasks, and you can use it on your Sim and others that are in town. It'd be easier to do that in an EP because they could add a special lot for it just like they did with Get to Work. If you had Spa Day as well as the EP it came in, you could even sell some of your herbal remedies to the Spa for the Sims that are visiting. That might add interactions and objects to your Spa Day stuff. We'll see though :3
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    I would like to see something like making herbal medicines at some point, but I feel they also need to expand on the sickness system. Right now sickness is only part of Get to Work, as far as I am aware, and it doesn't really add to gameplay that much. There is already a medicine that seems to work for all diseases.

Soap making, on the other hand, I think would be more realistic. I especially like the idea of having soaps with different herbs that each have their own unique foam color and effects. It would function like the bubble blower, but instead of blowing bubbles, your Sims will take a bath. On the other hand, it feels like a missed chance for Spa Day.
    Well yeah it is a missed opportunity for Spa Day, but think of it as using organic materials too. Still, I can't figure out how you would make soap without the main ingredient >.>; unless they got it from fish we catch. Also, they could use flower petals as well as herbs in making soap, if that became a part of the game.

Get to work did introduce sickness into the game, but they could add in new illnesses and things into a new expansion like Seasons. 0.0; Winter is cold and flu season. Also, they could do allergies instead of illnesses for Spring and Summer. That's Pollen Season. Some herbal remedies are used for nausea so pregnant Sims could use something for morning sickness. There are a lot of possibilities where adding herbal medicines would work in a full expansion.
  • KlthfKlthf Posts: 230 Member
    reiureya wrote: »
    Well yeah it is a missed opportunity for Spa Day, but think of it as using organic materials too. Still, I can't figure out how you would make soap without the main ingredient >.>; unless they got it from fish we catch. Also, they could use flower petals as well as herbs in making soap, if that became a part of the game.

Get to work did introduce sickness into the game, but they could add in new illnesses and things into a new expansion like Seasons. 0.0; Winter is cold and flu season. Also, they could do allergies instead of illnesses for Spring and Summer. That's Pollen Season. Some herbal remedies are used for nausea so pregnant Sims could use something for morning sickness. There are a lot of possibilities where adding herbal medicines would work in a full expansion.

I would be fine if they got the main ingredient from the fish. Flower petals would indeed fit as ingredients for soap, besides herbs. It would give us more options for using the flowers.

I really like your ideas for allergies and seasons related illnesses. These could be added in a seasons expansion pack. Such a pack might then also be the place for adding herbal medicines.
    I got part of my ideas from Sims 3. When you had Seasons, your Sims would catch colds and the flu in Winter, and they would have allergies in Spring and Summer. I just figured that they could make them more functional in this game, since we have a doctor field in Get to Work. Plus, it could add a totally different career path for people who want to do homeopathic medicine.
  • szMermaidszMermaid Posts: 254 Member
    hmae123 wrote: »
    I know we sort of already have the ability with OR to make various potions and stuff. I don't use it enough but glad it's there. What if they could expand on that for the eco theme. Sims could make their own medicines and soaps maybe even harvest herbs for tea?

It would be nice if the Sims, instead of being cured instantly when they went to the doctor, had to take medicine for a while, for example about 4 days. So, they could make their own natural medicines, maybe even sell it to those who need it, and also use them when prescribed by the doctor. Including some that pregnant women could also use if they felt bad.
    And if they do not take it, they could get worse and have to go back to the doctor for further tests. Or have a friend or relative who insists that he follow the prescription, for being concerned about that Sim.
    xyIcMqt.png

If you would like to see Off-The-Grid, Canning/Preserving, and Freegan/Carbon Conscious be made in to a Game Pack or EP, sign the petition!: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/921310/off-the-grid-gamepack-petition-374-signatures/p1?new=1
  • Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    reiureya wrote: »
    I got part of my ideas from Sims 3. When you had Seasons, your Sims would catch colds and the flu in Winter, and they would have allergies in Spring and Summer. I just figured that they could make them more functional in this game, since we have a doctor field in Get to Work. Plus, it could add a totally different career path for people who want to do homeopathic medicine.

I am all about homeopathic medicine. I actually see an acupuncturist once a week for a condition I have been dealing with. It seems The Sims have taken a more alternative route, so this would fit in nicely, in my opinion. I think these are all great ideas, just not ones that could be implemented into this stuff pack :/
  • bandcampsquirrelbandcampsquirrel Posts: 2,187 Member
    Awesome idea!!!
  • Lavasm77Lavasm77 Posts: 33 Member
    Castile soap (Dr Bronner's) is made from vegetable oils. Don't need animal fat!
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    Lavasm77 wrote: »
    Castile soap (Dr Bronner's) is made from vegetable oils. Don't need animal fat!

^^^ Castile soap is also the main ingredient for making your own Eco-friendly laundry detergent.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
    edited April 2017
    Yeah, I was looking up homemade soap-making for something else, and you can use olive oil. Give us an olive tree, lye, and a bunch of colors and scents, and there you go, simmade soaps!

Where do you get lye?
    *edit: you get it by leaching ashes.

(EVIL LAUGHTER) I just imagined an assembly line of vampies in the sun to keep a consistent supply of lye...
    tCTe03l.png