Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Thoughts on Eco Living

Comments

• Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    mannanna wrote: »

I think you put it all in a very good way and I am certain that the devs are aware that the players are divided in the issue about laundry. It must be very challenging for them to please everybody. So far I think they have done an excellent job trying to please the majority.
    This ECOpack though, it's not set in stone that it will even have laundry. We will be able to vote again in June.

• Feature Vote (June 24th – June 27th): Select the top gameplay feature(s) you want to have included in the pack.

Personally I feel the same way as you do about laundry, but hey! It's not set in stone yet!

I do like that we get to vote on what will be in the pack but because so many people seem to want laundry I feel like that will get the most votes and other, more actual Eco items, will be left out. In which case they should not call it an Eco Living pack because to me, doing laundry is not eco friendly because many washing machines waste ALOT of water. Hopefully they will provide a long list of gameplay features to vote on and will maybe include the top 2-3 so more people are happy.

I too hope that ECO items will also be included and that it will not end up being just a domestic chores pack. Although a lot of simmers did vote because it specifically said the word laundry, I feel that there were also a lot of simmers that voted for the theme of Eco-Friendly and did not care about laundry. So if no Eco themed ideas are considered or used, I feel like this project will end up causing more division and distrust in the community.

Maybe in the end a few people will learn that not getting their own way in everything about a $10 video-game add-on isn't worth throwing fits over.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member

I think you put it all in a very good way and I am certain that the devs are aware that the players are divided in the issue about laundry. It must be very challenging for them to please everybody. So far I think they have done an excellent job trying to please the majority.
    This ECOpack though, it's not set in stone that it will even have laundry. We will be able to vote again in June.

• Feature Vote (June 24th – June 27th): Select the top gameplay feature(s) you want to have included in the pack.

Personally I feel the same way as you do about laundry, but hey! It's not set in stone yet!

I do like that we get to vote on what will be in the pack but because so many people seem to want laundry I feel like that will get the most votes and other, more actual Eco items, will be left out. In which case they should not call it an Eco Living pack because to me, doing laundry is not eco friendly because many washing machines waste ALOT of water. Hopefully they will provide a long list of gameplay features to vote on and will maybe include the top 2-3 so more people are happy.

I too hope that ECO items will also be included and that it will not end up being just a domestic chores pack. Although a lot of simmers did vote because it specifically said the word laundry, I feel that there were also a lot of simmers that voted for the theme of Eco-Friendly and did not care about laundry. So if no Eco themed ideas are considered or used, I feel like this project will end up causing more division and distrust in the community.

I voted Echo as #3 choice. I love the laundry idea, just didn't feel it would fit with eco-friendly theme. I may be one of a kind though, LOL
  • Options
    Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    edited April 2017
    LaineyBug wrote: »
    I really need someone to explain to me. Why does everyone want to do laundry in the sims? I hate doing laundry. And in the sims it's just one more household chores to tick off so my sims don't get negative moodlets. Seriously, what's fun about laundry?

I may be a little hypocritical here because man, I would love for my sims to be able to sweep the floor :tongue:

Actually they are able to sweep/clean the floor, when they have burned some fireworks. Just to let you know.
    "What about people who aren't fussed about party stuff or laundry?" Right from my heart, I don't find it exiting.
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member

Maybe in the end a few people will learn that not getting their own way in everything about a $10 video-game add-on isn't worth throwing fits over.

So the people that voted for the theme are just throwing fits it the end result ends of being domestic chores and not eco-friendly?
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited April 2017

So the people that voted for the theme are just throwing fits it the end result ends of being domestic chores and not eco-friendly?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. All I know is that I'd really like to see a lot less sour grapes around here and a bit more acceptance that sometimes what you or I or person X wants isn't also the most popular thing. (I voted Dangerous as my #1, for the record.)

As for "Eco Living", that's not the pack name. The pack name will be chosen in fall, to fit what the content ended up being. Maybe they should have just called it "Clean and Eco Living" or something equally unwieldy, but it still wouldn't be the pack name, just a header for the described possibilities.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

I'm not sure what you're getting at. All I know is that I'd really like to see a lot less sour grapes around here and a bit more acceptance that sometimes what you or I or person X wants isn't also the most popular thing. (I voted Dangerous as my #1, for the record.)

As for "Eco Living", that's not the pack name. The pack name will be chosen in fall, to fit what the content ended up being. Maybe they should have just called it "Clean and Eco Living" or something equally unwieldy, but it still wouldn't be the pack name, just a header for the described possibilities.

This is my point. Eco-friendly was one of the themes and the description for that did mention laundry, but also mentioned focuses for players to have their sims be more environmentally conscious.

You seem to be focused on that people may be upset that their choice did not win, I on the other hand am concerned that if the pack ends up focusing on domestic chores and not have any other components of things relating to eco living, then I feel that the people that voted for the pack based on the theme may feel that they were mislead by the original description. It's not sour grapes, this pack was voted on because of the theme that was described, not necessarily everyone who wanted it only wanted laundry and chores. Have you seen some of the other ideas regarding the theme eco-friendly? Some of these ideas are actually really good (and I did not vote for this as my #1 either). I feel bad, because I feel that these ideas are being ignored and considering the passion and detail of some of these ideas, I know some of these simmers did vote for this theme.
  • Options
    Wishonmeh05Wishonmeh05 Posts: 637 Member
    Even though I am not in love with laundry possibly being the main point of an "Eco Living" pack, let me clarify that I DID vote for it as my number one option because I feel like all the others were rather redundant of packs we've already received. I also feel that many past packs could have been combined because many feel rather similar to me. My main point was that when they called it an "Eco Living" pack, that theme does not scream "LAUNDRY" to me. Had they separated the two concepts and made a true Eco Living theme and say maybe a Domestic (or Household) Dealings theme, then it would have made more sense and I think ALOT less people would be complaining/confused.
  • Options
    Even though I am not in love with laundry possibly being the main point of an "Eco Living" pack, let me clarify that I DID vote for it as my number one option because I feel like all the others were rather redundant of packs we've already received. I also feel that many past packs could have been combined because many feel rather similar to me. My main point was that when they called it an "Eco Living" pack, that theme does not scream "LAUNDRY" to me. Had they separated the two concepts and made a true Eco Living theme and say maybe a Domestic (or Household) Dealings theme, then it would have made more sense and I think ALOT less people would be complaining/confused.

That was what I was trying to say, but you honestly said way better than me. I am not upset that it won, I feel like the pack description meant different things to different people, and like you said if they had separated the two, it would have been much clearer for people to choose.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member

This is my point. Eco-friendly was one of the themes and the description for that did mention laundry, but also mentioned focuses for players to have their sims be more environmentally conscious.

You seem to be focused on that people may be upset that their choice did not win, I on the other hand am concerned that if the pack ends up focusing on domestic chores and not have any other components of things relating to eco living, then I feel that the people that voted for the pack based on the theme may feel that they were mislead by the original description. It's not sour grapes, this pack was voted on because of the theme that was described, not necessarily everyone who wanted it only wanted laundry and chores. Have you seen some of the other ideas regarding the theme eco-friendly? Some of these ideas are actually really good (and I did not vote for this as my #1 either). I feel bad, because I feel that these ideas are being ignored and considering the passion and detail of some of these ideas, I know some of these simmers did vote for this theme.

We will have plenty of time to suggest and discuss ideas for the theme. The objects and clothing vote doesn't happen until May 18, and the Features vote is June 23. Just keep posting about what you want to see in the pack. I do think all of the laundry threads will be combined when the sim staff returns on Monday.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

We will have plenty of time to suggest and discuss ideas for the theme. The objects and clothing vote doesn't happen until May 18, and the Features vote is June 23. Just keep posting about what you want to see in the pack. I do think all of the laundry threads will be combined when the sim staff returns on Monday.

I really hoping I am wrong, I don't know a lot about the eco theme, it wasn't what I personally wanted the most. But none of the choices said household chores pack, and I hope that this is not what this will be. I have nothing against laundry and understand that people want it in the game. I understood the picking of the theme was not a guarantee or promise of any possible feature listed in the description. Since the winning pack was announced, the people that petitioned for laundry definitely feel like their requests have been heard. My concern is that even though it was stated in the announcement for this project that the descriptions were general about the theme, and that features would be voted on later, but why bother doing a game play vote in June if the focus is laundry? There is no way, the team cannot include laundry in this pack, the forum will explode.

edited to add, I was looking forward to the process. It really wasn't about which theme won for me. I just feel kinda bummed if the game play objects have in a sense been indirectly promised (washers and dryers) then that takes away from this whole process for me.
  • Options
    mebagl15mebagl15 Posts: 563 Member
    "Eco Living/Laundry"' was my 3rd, middle of the road choice. I just think that people who are really into Eco Living probably don't buy or play the Sims games.
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    To me the sims is about fantasy. Laundry is not fantasy. I have families too but there is enough for them to do without adding laundry to the list. I give them hobbies to fill their days. In TS3, if I built the house for someone it had laundry and even if I created a laundry room I rarely used it. Just meant I got a maid or butler to do it. It lost its appeal quickly.

I voted for Eco Living second but for home technology not for laundry. I wouldn't want laundry as a gameplay item if it meant losing out on something incredible and never seen or done before. Some smart home gadgets. Or home automation. Or a reintro to old faves: robot assistant or a smart baby monitor to stay on top of baby needs so they don't get taken away.

Or some sustainability options. Sometimes I just like having a family that grows their own food and use their hands. Painting. Building. Inventing.
  • Options
    To me the sims is about fantasy. Laundry is not fantasy. I have families too but there is enough for them to do without adding laundry to the list. I give them hobbies to fill their days. In TS3, if I built the house for someone it had laundry and even if I created a laundry room I rarely used it. Just meant I got a maid or butler to do it. It lost its appeal quickly.

I voted for Eco Living second but for home technology not for laundry. I wouldn't want laundry as a gameplay item if it meant losing out on something incredible and never seen or done before. Some smart home gadgets. Or home automation. Or a reintro to old faves: robot assistant or a smart baby monitor to stay on top of baby needs so they don't get taken away.

Or some sustainability options. Sometimes I just like having a family that grows their own food and use their hands. Painting. Building. Inventing.

I'm exactly the opposite. My gameplay tends to as realistic as I can make it. I do want to see some time of chores introduced, maybe in a future pack. I like the idea of my sim kids helping out around the house, having to complete their chores before going out to play or watching tv. Or losing privileges, being grounded for not completing their chores. I'd also like to see some type of allowance system introduced.
  • Options

I'm exactly the opposite. My gameplay tends to as realistic as I can make it. I do want to see some time of chores introduced, maybe in a future pack. I like the idea of my sim kids helping out around the house, having to complete their chores before going out to play or watching tv. Or losing privileges, being grounded for not completing their chores. I'd also like to see some type of allowance system introduced.

We all play differently right? I honestly like some of those ideas..for me, after working a full time job (which can sometimes be longer than expected days or working a day off) and then using said days off for chores, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry the absolute last thing I wanna do is see my sims do it too. I only get a limited amount of game play so I would like it to mean something.
  • Options
    MirandatehpandaMirandatehpanda Posts: 4 New Member
    I agree, I would like to see laundry in this new pack but I don't want the pack to revolve around laundry. Maybe it could be focussing on beekeeping or solar panels or green technology :)
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    While I don't see the appeal of actually doing laundry in the game, I would like the machines to make home builds feel more complete. I'll probably make a community landromat too, because it's a neat build theme. I think there are more uses for laundry than just the 'chore' of the gameplay element.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2017
    LaineyBug wrote: »
    I really need someone to explain to me. Why does everyone want to do laundry in the sims? I hate doing laundry. And in the sims it's just one more household chores to tick off so my sims don't get negative moodlets. Seriously, what's fun about laundry?

I may be a little hypocritical here because man, I would love for my sims to be able to sweep the floor :tongue:

If you want my theory, it's this:

Laundry is something SOME appreciate for the simulation and the immersion factor, but some hate it for the tediousness and don't want a chore in their game regardless of the realism. The one thing everyone agrees on is that it should come with a Stuff pack, because that way it's a cheap $10 for those that want it, and for those that don't, they don't have to worry about laundry someday being packaged within an EP they genuinely want for the other features. Stuff pack for laundry provides people with options regarding a love-it-or-hate-it feature.

The problem arises when you ask people to vote. Ideas like Dangerous stuff for example are completely new and have never been done before as a concept, and even if starter home is self-explanatory, we haven't seen it done before. Laundry has been done before. People know exactly what to expect with laundry, they dunno what to expect with stuff like Dangerous. Therefore, regardless of support for ideas, everyone tends to have that rationale of voting "safely" and picking something where they know exactly what to expect. I saw at least one user state that much, saying she prefers Dangerous stuff but because she's unsure what would be in it, she put Eco-Friendly as her first pick. The fact that Eco-Friendly won and a huge percent of the public immediately begins discussing laundry specifically? Reinforces my theory to some degree.

I cannot say for certain if Eco-Friendly was just genuinely the most beloved idea of the bunch, but I do think it had a significant advantage just because people more or less know exactly what to expect from it.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    While we don't have the final numbers (unless I missed them being posted somewhere?), just because Eco won, doesn't mean it won by a landslide. Even if it won by a handful of votes, that's still winning. I think it's kinda silly to say any other pack didn't have a decent chance.

I doubt it was something like Eco - 1,000 votes, Starter - 10 votes, Dangerous - 5 votes, Wedding - 3 votes, and Arcade 1 vote. If the rankings posted here on the forums are any general indication (very general though, since much of the voting came off-forum), almost all the packs had a pretty fair shot for the most part.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    Nomiko13Nomiko13 Posts: 1,497 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I'm so sick of you anti-laundry people complaining. Obviously there will be more to the pack than that. You guys got party stuff for two years straight now. It's about time they start dedicating some content to us.

What about people who aren't fussed about party stuff or laundry? ;)

I'm sure there will be plenty of other stuff packs available over these months for people who don't like whatever gameplay gets chosen for this one. It's not like this is the Last Add-on Ever.

Especially since 2018 is confirmed for Sims 4.
    ▼add/follow▼
    ●【youtube】【 sims 3 page】【gallery】●

mario_10.jpg
    ●|| free items | daily deals | cascades |thank you ||●
    ▲still waiting on sims 4 generations▲
    ▶owner of the store since 9/21/2017◀
  • Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Had they separated the two concepts and made a true Eco Living theme and say maybe a Domestic (or Household) Dealings theme, then it would have made more sense and I think ALOT less people would be complaining/confused.

I think this sums it up. The problem is that the Eco Living option combined a number of ideas that are not integrally connected and the players who voted for that option did so for different reasons. The result is that none of us are sure now what exactly it was that 'won'. Judging from the volume of posts on the forum, I suspect it was laundry, but we'll only find out when the time comes to vote for the features and objects to be included with the pack. But don't forget that we will still have a chance to do that, as well as to pick the main gameplay feature. There is no need to battle it out now.
  • Options
    MissCherieMissCherie Posts: 408 Member

I think calling it Eco living was maybe misleading for some people, some people voted on it cause they thought it would be an eco friendly pack, but we all know that the main feature of the pack will be laundry no matter what the name of the pack end up to be, that's what people want, and that okay, but the thing is for a lot of people laundry doesn't fit the eco living theme, and we all know that it will be just a SP, so you cannot expect 5 big features in it, laundry will get all the attention, and people that was hoping for an eco-friendly pack will probably end up disappointed.

Had the theme be Chores, I'm pretty sure it would still have won cause people want laundry back, so no matter the theme name laundry would have won for sure, but yea I cannot wait to see how they will manage to make a pack with laundry eco-friendly enough that people that voted for that aspect will be happy, cause some people have no interest in laundry and want eco stuff.

It's not about people be upset their choices didn't win, it's about people being worried that laundry take all the place and that there won't actually be eco-friendly items or not enough to justify that the concept theme was call eco living, while it won't be a major feature of the pack.

But there's nothing much that can be done, what is done is done, laundry would have won no matter what, so now it's just to see if people that voted for the eco living theme will also have something to please them.
    gCQKjq4.png
  • Options
    pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I don't even like doing laundry and I didn't find it necessary in TS3 and I find less in TS4. I rather have something I could use because I seriously doubt any of my sims will be eco friendly and if they were I would make them do things they wouldn't like anyways. :D
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • Options

We all play differently right? I honestly like some of those ideas..for me, after working a full time job (which can sometimes be longer than expected days or working a day off) and then using said days off for chores, grocery shopping, cleaning, laundry the absolute last thing I wanna do is see my sims do it too. I only get a limited amount of game play so I would like it to mean something.

Totally agree. Different features mean different things to different simmers. :)
  • Options

Totally agree. Different features mean different things to different simmers. :)

The other thing is that Eco Living means things to different people as well..for some, it is living off the land, sustainability, being mindful of the footprints we leave on the earth and how to reduce it as much as possible . .recycling, reducing waste, reusing, natural materials. For others it is the use of home technology (like laundry) that provide an eco friendly option that helps reduce waste with some smart home options. And yes, laundry can be a smart home appliance, but I would hope they had some other options in mind besides Laundry.

I would love a mix of that, something where you can have a bit more sustainability . .but also some eco-friendly options for some of my more city living, trying to protect the earth, so I'll help reduce my footprint, but not have to give up my comfort and style.
  • Options
    SimangoSimango Posts: 427 Member
    edited April 2017
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I'm so sick of you anti-laundry people complaining. Obviously there will be more to the pack than that. You guys got party stuff for two years straight now. It's about time they start dedicating some content to us.

That's a huge assumption you're making. That we're all just here for party content if we don't like laundry.

I think most simmers are sick of parties, games and social gatherings at this point. (I mean Arcade did come in last place in the vote)