Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My Thoughts on Eco Living

In my opinion, laundry really doesn't have much to do with Eco Living. (and I would be seriously annoyed with a pack mostly dedicated to a household chore that many people hate doing)

In my opinion, this pack should be true Eco Friendly items: solar panels to lower our sims bills, technologies that promote sustainability, more ways to "live off the land", objects that have a modern and minimalistic design. If laundry has to be included, then fine, but it should really not be the main focus.

Comments

• dogboy678dogboy678 Posts: 200 Member
    Well the only reason the eco-Living pack even won was because of laundry, so...
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017
    I voted for it because of laundry. I'd like to see some other stuff of course. A stuff pack is about objects like furniture and decorations, and CAS content. I play a lot of gardeners and cooks, so it appeals anyway.

But I came for laundry lol.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• LaineyBugLaineyBug Posts: 5 New Member
    I really need someone to explain to me. Why does everyone want to do laundry in the sims? I hate doing laundry. And in the sims it's just one more household chores to tick off so my sims don't get negative moodlets. Seriously, what's fun about laundry?

I may be a little hypocritical here because man, I would love for my sims to be able to sweep the floor :tongue:
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    LaineyBug wrote: »
    I really need someone to explain to me. Why does everyone want to do laundry in the sims? I hate doing laundry. And in the sims it's just one more household chores to tick off so my sims don't get negative moodlets. Seriously, what's fun about laundry?

I don't get it either. I did it sometimes if one of my sims was a stay at home parent or a live in playable "maid" but otherwise it just annoyed me.

Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited April 2017

I may be a little hypocritical here because man, I would love for my sims to be able to sweep the floor :tongue:

A lot of Simmers who are doing family play have a parent or grandparent who is home all day while the rest of the household is at work or school -- and for a lot of Simmers that's what their real lives look like, too. But there's not a lot to do in the game to simulate that kind of play on the realistic side of Simming. You can do a bit of sink and toilet and tub cleaning, now and then, but unless it's a mansion, that doesn't occupy much of a day. You can garden, but after a while you end up megarich from gardening, which might not be where you're trying to get with your Sims. You can do some cooking, but if you overstuff your fridge it just goes bad before it all gets eaten. So that leaves socializing, TV, games, etc.... and a lot more of it than a lot of Simmers are happy about. The work-play balance is off for Sims who aren't employed and aren't after becoming high-skilled painters or gardeners etc. Adding more work in for those Sims creates a bit more challenge in time management for people playing and simulating domestic life. And a *lot* more challenge if there are also children at home. It's not going to be every Simmer's cup of tea, but then, what is?
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member

A lot of Simmers who are doing family play have a parent or grandparent who is home all day while the rest of the household is at work or school -- and for a lot of Simmers that's what their real lives look like, too. But there's not a lot to do in the game to simulate that kind of play on the realistic side of Simming. You can do a bit of sink and toilet and tub cleaning, now and then, but unless it's a mansion, that doesn't occupy much of a day. You can garden, but after a while you end up megarich from gardening, which might not be where you're trying to get with your Sims. You can do some cooking, but if you overstuff your fridge it just goes bad before it all gets eaten. So that leaves socializing, TV, games, etc.... and a lot more of it than a lot of Simmers are happy about. The work-play balance is off for Sims who aren't employed and aren't after becoming high-skilled painters or gardeners etc. Adding more work in for those Sims creates a bit more challenge in time management for people playing and simulating domestic life. And a *lot* more challenge if there are also children at home. It's not going to be every Simmer's cup of tea, but then, what is?

That was a very good explanation. I skipped sims 3 completely, so I have never played with laundry but I can see from your description why it would appeal to certain players. I think this pack won because it mentioned laundry so I think that will be the featured gameplay. But I really hope it includes something off the grind based.
  • Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 761 Member

That was a very good explanation. I skipped sims 3 completely, so I have never played with laundry but I can see from your description why it would appeal to certain players. I think this pack won because it mentioned laundry so I think that will be the featured gameplay. But I really hope it includes something off the grind based.
  • mustenimusteni Posts: 5,403 Member
    edited April 2017
    I agree with the OP. I'm not against laundry being in the pack - if there's not something else that fits better. I want this to be a good pack and laundry could always come later if it doesn't end up in this. People seem to have big ideas and big expectations how the laundry should be like and I don't want the whole pack revolve around laundry (could be a 50s housewife pack instead).
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    @luthienrising Your description is exactly why I want laundry. I always have at least one sim in a family stay home to take care of the house and kids. Many of my families don't work at all. They do side things for enough cash for the bills.

I have a huge garden, including modded plants like peaches, green chilies, vanilla beans, olives, etc. But I only harvest what I actually need, because I don't like being rich. If my sims have the best of everything, I get bored and stop playing them.

So, many of my saves are very down-to-earth, rustic living, and surrounded by nature. The problem is, stay-at-home parents tend to have too much time on their hands. I want them to do more for their families, like laundry.

Now, not all my saves are that way. I have vampires, deviant stories and the like. But that is for something occasionally different. It's not my usual play style.

Before The Sims was named The Sims, the developers called it The Dollhouse. And even after 17 years, growing up and becoming an adult myself, it's still my dollhouse.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• ShadowmarkedShadowmarked Posts: 1,054 Member
    I would rather they did laundry in a stuff pack than anywhere else. I think it fits right in with the small game play stuff packs have now and I personally hated laundry in the Sims 3 to no end.
    If it's in a stuff pack it means I will miss a lot less content that adds other gameplay to my game (because I am refusing to buy anything with laundry in it unless I can turn it off completely. my Sims already make big enough messes) but for the simmers out there who love laundry they can get it added back in. I see it as a good win-win scenario.
    Same thing with their suggestion to add funerals in the danger pack, there are simply simmers out there who don't want to bring the somberness of a funeral or the monotony of chores in their game for various reasons and others who love it because it adds more realism. which makes stuff packs a nice spot to add these features that may annoy some people if there in an ep. It's the same reason I liked them giving vampires all there own gp, it makes it so no one has to add one thing they hate to get something they love (except some items but stuff is in everything so I think it is the exception.)

Anyways that's my thoughts on this pack. If there's laundry I won't be buying it but I am still in support of them doing the pack like this. (Which I'm sure ea doesn't care about since there's no $'s attached to my approval.)
  • HucklekreeHucklekree Posts: 129 Member
    edited April 2017
    Never liked laundry. I won't be purchasing it if it is about laundry never understood the point of it. But if people want it, that's good for them and I hope they get it.

I would like to see eco-friendly things such as alternative energy jobs revolving around such, aspirations, concerning it, living off the land situations...although all that sounds more like a game pack that stuff pack. So perhaps laundry is about as far as we can go with the stuff pack. I don't really know I was just very happy to be given a chance to have some say. :-)
  • Wither1000Wither1000 Posts: 72 Member
    Oddly enough, laundry made the Sims feel more real to me. I always made my Sim a neat freak so she would actually do it rather than sit and play games all day!
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    BeJaWa wrote: »
    I would rather they did laundry in a stuff pack than anywhere else. I think it fits right in with the small game play stuff packs have now and I personally hated laundry in the Sims 3 to no end.
    If it's in a stuff pack it means I will miss a lot less content that adds other gameplay to my game (because I am refusing to buy anything with laundry in it unless I can turn it off completely. my Sims already make big enough messes) but for the simmers out there who love laundry they can get it added back in. I see it as a good win-win scenario.
    Same thing with their suggestion to add funerals in the danger pack, there are simply simmers out there who don't want to bring the somberness of a funeral or the monotony of chores in their game for various reasons and others who love it because it adds more realism. which makes stuff packs a nice spot to add these features that may annoy some people if there in an ep. It's the same reason I liked them giving vampires all there own gp, it makes it so no one has to add one thing they hate to get something they love (except some items but stuff is in everything so I think it is the exception.)

Anyways that's my thoughts on this pack. If there's laundry I won't be buying it but I am still in support of them doing the pack like this. (Which I'm sure ea doesn't care about since there's no $'s attached to my approval.)

I think you put it all in a very good way and I am certain that the devs are aware that the players are divided in the issue about laundry. It must be very challenging for them to please everybody. So far I think they have done an excellent job trying to please the majority.
    This ECOpack though, it's not set in stone that it will even have laundry. We will be able to vote again in June.

• Feature Vote (June 24th – June 27th): Select the top gameplay feature(s) you want to have included in the pack.

Personally I feel the same way as you do about laundry, but hey! It's not set in stone yet!
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    mannanna wrote: »
    BeJaWa wrote: »

I think you put it all in a very good way and I am certain that the devs are aware that the players are divided in the issue about laundry. It must be very challenging for them to please everybody. So far I think they have done an excellent job trying to please the majority.
    This ECOpack though, it's not set in stone that it will even have laundry. We will be able to vote again in June.

• Feature Vote (June 24th – June 27th): Select the top gameplay feature(s) you want to have included in the pack.

Personally I feel the same way as you do about laundry, but hey! It's not set in stone yet!

I agree with this, however, I do believe that Laundry will be the main feature, only because it was actually stated as "area of focus". I personally feel bad for the developers in that the people that want laundry along with other household chores are extremely happy right now. Other simmers that voted because of the idea of focusing on more of an eco-friendly lifestyle have completely different ideas. It is possible to include the laundry along with maybe something like a juicer (using sims produce) in the same pack, but I am definitely seeing two very different focuses on this theme and most of the ideas on both sides conflict, so all we can do is see what happens with it.
  • mannannamannanna Posts: 466 Member
    I agree with this, however, I do believe that Laundry will be the main feature, only because it was actually stated as "area of focus". I personally feel bad for the developers in that the people that want laundry along with other household chores are extremely happy right now. Other simmers that voted because of the idea of focusing on more of an eco-friendly lifestyle have completely different ideas. It is possible to include the laundry along with maybe something like a juicer (using sims produce) in the same pack, but I am definitely seeing two very different focuses on this theme and most of the ideas on both sides conflict, so all we can do is see what happens with it.

Yes,so true, to the stuff I highlighted.
    To me though, following how it's all put together is something we've never had a chance to do before so I think it is exciting even though it might end up being laundry. I also think that the devs have looked and filed all our suggestions so who knows what else we get from these suggestions. All the awesome ideas I wouldn't mind if they someday turned into a gamepack instead of a stuffpack so in that respect we'd come out ahead and the Laundry Lovers can have their stuff pack. Win, win as I see it. :smiley:
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I want a worm farm.
    The worms could be used for fishing, and it would make compost for the garden.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Wishonmeh05Wishonmeh05 Posts: 637 Member

I do like that we get to vote on what will be in the pack but because so many people seem to want laundry I feel like that will get the most votes and other, more actual Eco items, will be left out. In which case they should not call it an Eco Living pack because to me, doing laundry is not eco friendly because many washing machines waste ALOT of water. Hopefully they will provide a long list of gameplay features to vote on and will maybe include the top 2-3 so more people are happy.

• danplayer01danplayer01 Posts: 25 New Member
    I agree, i'm not a fan of laundry, I really hope they don't focus on it.
  • Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited April 2017
    Laundry doesn't seem to make that much sense given the theme, but that was literally the only reason I was somewhat interested in it. When I read "eco living" before reading any further description I just skipped right over it and almost voted it as my number 5 until I saw laundry.

If the pack ends up not having laundry as the gameplay I probably won't be that interested in the pack, but that's fine since honestly laundry is definitely not the first thing that comes to mind with eco and I'm sure most people probably voted for it for other reasons.

I'm just not personally interested in things like solar panels or composting toilets or anything like that (in game) since all it'll likely do is lower the bills. Lowering bills doesn't really add to gameplay in any way to me and the bills are already pretty easy so I would probably avoid using those objects anyway since I wouldn't want my bills lowered.

Regardless of what ends up being the gameplay object I'm still interested to see how the pack turns out and interested to see what CAS and build/buy items are added.
  • alexandreaalexandrea Posts: 2,432 Member
    I'm so sick of you anti-laundry people complaining. Obviously there will be more to the pack than that. You guys got party stuff for two years straight now. It's about time they start dedicating some content to us.
    p6tqefj
  • Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,106 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »
    I'm so sick of you anti-laundry people complaining. Obviously there will be more to the pack than that. You guys got party stuff for two years straight now. It's about time they start dedicating some content to us.

What about people who aren't fussed about party stuff or laundry? ;)
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member

I do like that we get to vote on what will be in the pack but because so many people seem to want laundry I feel like that will get the most votes and other, more actual Eco items, will be left out. In which case they should not call it an Eco Living pack because to me, doing laundry is not eco friendly because many washing machines waste ALOT of water. Hopefully they will provide a long list of gameplay features to vote on and will maybe include the top 2-3 so more people are happy.

I too hope that ECO items will also be included and that it will not end up being just a domestic chores pack. Although a lot of simmers did vote because it specifically said the word laundry, I feel that there were also a lot of simmers that voted for the theme of Eco-Friendly and did not care about laundry. So if no Eco themed ideas are considered or used, I feel like this project will end up causing more division and distrust in the community.
  • CiarassimsCiarassims Posts: 3,547 Member
    Laundry makes the game a bit more realistic Imo.. And personally I chose eco because its something different what we didn't have before!
    giphy_1.gif
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    alexandrea wrote: »

What about people who aren't fussed about party stuff or laundry? ;)

I'm sure there will be plenty of other stuff packs available over these months for people who don't like whatever gameplay gets chosen for this one. It's not like this is the Last Add-on Ever.

EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.