Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My idea for laundry - input welcome

Comments

• Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    edited April 2017
    Movotti wrote: »
    The people that hate the idea of laundry are going to beat this dead horse to no avail,
    It's not so much hating is, as not seeing how it fits with an eco living theme, at the expense of other gameplay items.

Sure, if laundry was added as decor, there'd be no complaints, but playable items instead of eco living playable items? That's just a cop out.

How is it a cop out when it literally said it in the description? Sorry, but if you voted for the working title and not the suggested game play beneath it, then that falls on you.

Yeah. Suggested game play, not what it 100% would contain
    And if I remember correctly, you didn't even vote for the pack. Now you want to do away with the item which most people who voted for it wanted. If they stuck it under ANY heading, we still would have voted for whichever pack it was contained in. So a rose by any other name...
    How do you know what I voted for?
    I don't even remember which one I put first.
    It may have been eco living, it may have been death and danger, it certainly wasn't romance and weddings, nor arcades, and it 100% was not drudgery chore living.

If you're lusing over chores so much, come do my housework, so that I can have my sims go partying.

Because I asked if you voted for it on another thread and you said "nope".

And I'm too busy, ironically, with doing my own laundry. You keep using the word "lusting" like its a bad thing. Stop lusting to change a pack you didn't even vote for. :D
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    FKM100FKM100 Posts: 886 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    But - and this was a good thing, as it gave some gameplay options - if you didn't have laundry items in a house, it was as if you didn't own the laundry stuff at all. So you could play that way sometimes but didn't have to all the time. I'd hope that this pack, if it gets laundry, would also include that. But that if you do have laundry, it would make a difference whether you had an old top-loader inefficient machine or a shiny modern efficient machine or hung your laundry out to dry.
    Interesting, so it was essentially tied to the hamper, such that if you didn't have one, you wouldn't have any laundry buildup? Clever.

I believe it was tied to the hamper and the washing machine, so if you only had the washing machine but no hamper, you had piles on the floor.

Yes, It was the washing machine that triggered the laundry option on the lot (and the clothes piles). No washing machine = no laundry. Hampers were just a way to store the dirty clothes until you were ready to wash them. If you put hampers in all the rooms where your sims were likely to undress, their dirty clothes would go into the hamper automatically and you wouldn't have piles of dirty clothes everywhere.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Because I asked if you voted for it on another thread and you said "nope".
    that's a misquote. :p
    I said no, not nope, and I was being ironic. Of course I voted for it. I voted for more than one pack.
    Stop lusting to change a pack you didn't even vote for. :D
    I'm not wanting to change anything.
    I voted for Eco living not laundry.
    You're the one wanting to change eco living to domestic chores.
    Didn't you vote for Eco living? I'm pretty sure, domestic chores wasn't one of the themes.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I believe it was tied to the hamper and the washing machine, so if you only had the washing machine but no hamper, you had piles on the floor.
    Yep, you could opt out of laundry entirely by not putting any laundry stuff on the lot. The minute you put down a hamper/washing machine/dryer/clothesline <--- any of those items would prompt the creation of dirty laundry. Otherwise, your clothes stayed clean and no piles.
    That's some clever design.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Options
    FairyGodMotherFairyGodMother Posts: 7,406 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Yep, you could opt out of laundry entirely by not putting any laundry stuff on the lot. The minute you put down a hamper/washing machine/dryer/clothesline <--- any of those items would prompt the creation of dirty laundry. Otherwise, your clothes stayed clean and no piles.
    That's some clever design.

When I made poor sims, I always wanted the "clothesline" in the back yard. It would trigger dirty laundry though. I had to put a washing machine on the back porch and hampers in every room (if work calls, they change where ever they are, even if in the kitchen), or I could just remove the clothesline :s

My sims were usually "neat" so they always wanted these items. I always gave it to them, just wished there was an option for "working items" or "deco items". Slob sims never want to do laundry, but would have been nice to put the washer/dryer in their house as deco only :D
  • Options
    AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    edited April 2017
    @Movotti This thread is for suggestions for laundry. If you don't want laundry or don't have any ideas for it, there's no reason to post here. Please don't derail the thread. You're welcome to make a thread that you don't want laundry and make arguments for it, but please don't make it here. Thank you!

@Sonia016 Thanks, I think they could do a version of that combined with previous versions.

@Triplis Agreed, it's clever - they could probably do an upgrade or even better version of that if they include laundry in this game.

@charlotteprice I love items that are for poorer sims that makes their lives both easier and 'harder'. I want some challenge in the game. ;)
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Aine wrote: »
    This thread is for suggestions for laundry. If you don't want laundry or don't have any ideas for it, there's no reason to post here. Please don't derail the thread. You're welcome to make a thread that you don't want laundry and make arguments for it, but please don't make it here. Thank you!

*sigh*

I wasn't derailing, I was trying to get people to think more deeply about what they're asking for.
    Still not seeing the point in laundry being added at the expense of eco related game play items.

How are you thinking laundry relates to eco freindly?

Washer + drier + clothesline. that's 3 items.
    Congratulations, you have a lame laundry pack, not an eco friendly pack.

I just want to know how people think that laundry is eco living?

My suggestions for laundry? The washing machine bike, its an eco option for laundry, and it would mean the animation for cycling is included in the game, meaning that bicycles can also be added as they are eco friendly, and exercise bikes (with what ever gym junkie pack gets added).

I'm thinking beyond a linear concept. Are you? Can you think dynamically? Or are you just a one track record?

When you're thinking about all these diry clothes, are you also thinking about how the animations could be reused?
    If there's a front loader washer, the same animation can be used for a dryer, saving on animations. That same animation could also be used for loading the washing machine bike.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @movotti Yeah, you kinda were derailing. Btw, the reason people are talking about laundry in the first place is because it was mentioned in the description of the eco living pack when we voted, as you well know. It's probably the reason that it won. So it being logical that it's included in the 'eco' living pack is not really why anyone is discussing it - it's because 1. people want laundry 2. it will probably be included in the pack.
    I'd rather discuss possible ways that the feature is implemented, now that we have a say, rather than ignoring the fact that the devs chose to include it in the fricken description of the pack. Because if it does get included, which is likely, it's better to say what we want. Duh.
    Also, there's no reason to be all rude and confrontational about it. For the exact reasons above. It's very likely we'll get laundry. Because people voted for it knowing it could be included. Because they seem to want it. Now, actually talk about what you would want in the feature, or go argue somewhere else. Thank you. Now, I'm not really sure what you mean about the bicycle thing. Why would a bicycle be a washing machine?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
  • Options
    Now, I'm not really sure what you mean about the bicycle thing. Why would a bicycle be a washing machine?
    Why wouldn't a bicycle be a washing machine?
    It's a real thing.
    Bicycle powerd washing machines have been used in developing counties for quite some time. They don't need electricity, they are pedal powered, and are perfectly eco friendly.

It only washes as hard as you pedal
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg

Also, there's no reason to be all rude and confrontational about it.
    I'm not. You're just misinterpreting my bluntness. I don't sugar coat things. I state facts.
    In general, laundry is not eco friendly. The exception being that bike.
    I wish people had a better grasp on the concept of eco living.
  • Options
    DragonAge_300905DragonAge_300905 Posts: 1,944 Member
    The people that hate the idea of laundry are going to beat this dead horse to no avail,
    It's not so much hating is, as not seeing how it fits with an eco living theme, at the expense of other gameplay items.

Sure, if laundry was added as decor, there'd be no complaints, but playable items instead of eco living playable items? That's just a cop out.

How is it a cop out when it literally said it in the description? Sorry, but if you voted for the working title and not the suggested game play beneath it, then that falls on you.

Most of the people upset about the laundry didn't vote for eco living. They voted for the other packs.
  • Options
    Now, I'm not really sure what you mean about the bicycle thing. Why would a bicycle be a washing machine?
    Why wouldn't a bicycle be a washing machine?
    It's a real thing.
    Bicycle powerd washing machines have been used in developing counties for quite some time. They don't need electricity, they are pedal powered, and are perfectly eco friendly.

It only washes as hard as you pedal
    bike-washing-machine4.jpg

Also, there's no reason to be all rude and confrontational about it.
    I'm not. You're just misinterpreting my bluntness. I don't sugar coat things. I state facts.
    In general, laundry is not eco friendly. The exception being that bike.
    I wish people had a better grasp on the concept of eco living.

When I bought my washer and dryer, I was given paperwork to fill out and send in to the state. The paperwork stated that they were environmental friendly. My state mainly sells washers, dryers, stoves, or frigs that are environmental friendly. If we buy ones that aren't we pay a fine.
  • Options
    While there are many ideas that fit the theme, I want to focus on the one thing that was the reason that alot of simmers voted for this particular theme.

Since we basically get two gameplay objects/features in the pack, it's better to focus on getting those two the way we want them.

Laundry is interesting, because it's a challenge to implement design wise. Personally I'd want more simulation features that highlights the struggle of a sim to get a more 'easy' sim life via luxury - just like The Sims was in the olden days. Laundry is a perfect feature to reflect that.

I'd love for sims clothes to get independently dirty - so that the hygiene bar drops a bit when sims wear dirty clothes. It could be implemented like a layer or a buff that is removed when sims clean their clothes. I don't know how much detail can be included here - if outfits can be independently dirty or not, but it should be considered.

Now, the way I figure it would work is that if a sim has the 'layer' or buff that signifies 'dirty clothes', even if that sim uses a shower, the drop in hygiene would still be there once they are back in their clothes. Meaning the only way they can remove the uncomfortable buff - or similar feature - would be to clean their clothes with the washing machine.

I would imagine that sims would remove their clothes and put them in the washer - changing them into underwear or towel - while they wait for the wash to finish. Then they get their clothes back and the dirty clothes buff is removed and replaced by a 'clean clothes' buff and their hygiene gets a boost!

Now, the way I imagine it, is that the dryer isn't necessary for cleaning clothes, but is more of a luxury item. Sims would get an extra hygiene boost and a luxurious feeling buff with perhaps some boosts to more pleasant buffs.

I'm thinking that a drying sequence would be added to the washing - so that the dryer would speed up the process. I'm not sure how the process would end up like - any ideas fellow simmers?

I'd LOVE to get fail states for the machines - especially one cheaper option that has a higher risk for getting sims 'itchy' or some such.
    And the luxury option would be considerably more expensive but be alot pleasant for sims to use.

In the sims cheap things=more fail states and takes longer, and expensive things=less fail states and faster.

With the Eco theme, there could be an option to wash clothes by hand, and have a clothing line where you can dry clothes in the hot sims air!

@SimGuruGraham

Edit: laundry should affect sims with the slob trait differently. Maybe they don't get affected the same, or it takes longer for them to get the negative buffs.

The cheap washers and dryers could be noisy and give bad moodlets when they're used. We could have our sims cover their ears when they start them. That may have been in the sims3 or I could be remembering wrong.
  • Options
    @DragonAge_300905 Yeah, I'd love something like that for cheaper washers - or that they go slower than the expensive ones or something similar.
    I have no idea what was included in Sims 3 - I never played that game much.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    So do you think that the "dirtiness" of the clothing should be tied to a specific outfit - like Everyday 1?

I would like it if they changed from a dirty outfit, that outfit gets put in a hamper to be washed later or directly into the laundry to be washed. And the remaining outfits would be "clean" to wear - Everyday 2, 3, 4 - until all the clothes are dirty and the game has a little notification that you need to wash your clothes. This wouldn't affect slob sims, of course.
    The problem with my idea is that not all simmers know of the multiple outfits feature, so they would have only 1 outfit of each category. In this case, I would have the game autofill all the outfit slots or something else.

Also, do you think that laundry should be mandatory? Because I feel like they should create a checklist for building Residential lots, then. Adding laundry/dryer, bin, mailbox to the requirements could remind players to buy them.
  • Options
    Mariefoxprice83Mariefoxprice83 Posts: 8,109 Member
    Also, do you think that laundry should be mandatory? .

It definitely should not be mandatory because not everyone wants it and others are on the fence, or only want it for some households
    Better to reign in Hell, than serve in Heaven.
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    So do you think that the "dirtiness" of the clothing should be tied to a specific outfit - like Everyday 1?

I would like it if they changed from a dirty outfit, that outfit gets put in a hamper to be washed later or directly into the laundry to be washed. And the remaining outfits would be "clean" to wear - Everyday 2, 3, 4 - until all the clothes are dirty and the game has a little notification that you need to wash your clothes. This wouldn't affect slob sims, of course.
    The problem with my idea is that not all simmers know of the multiple outfits feature, so they would have only 1 outfit of each category. In this case, I would have the game autofill all the outfit slots or something else.

Also, do you think that laundry should be mandatory? Because I feel like they should create a checklist for building Residential lots, then. Adding laundry/dryer, bin, mailbox to the requirements could remind players to buy them.

I disagree with letting the game autofill a players outfits if they do not select 5 outfits for each category. The game has issues with producing outfits across gender lines and not all players want the game to "choose" random clothes.
    Since this pack will be released at a separate fee (may or may not be more expensive than the current price for stuff packs), I also do not think that changing the lot requirements for residential lots is a good idea. That essentially is requiring everybody to be forced to buy the pack whether or not the pack is something they want because it would require that any house have to have a washer, dryer in it. Which unless you meant something else, every player would have to purchase this pack for the washers and dryers or residential lots would be incomplete and the game unplayable.
  • Options

I'm not sure how detailed the dirty outfit thing should be. It should be well thought out, so it's challenging for players that want that sort of thing, and possible to be easy for players that don't want to deal with it. In the olden days you got the expensive version and it helped make things easy. Or there could be some cheat or other functionality that allows players to choose how they play. I just think everything is simplified to the point that there is no challenge in the gameplay anymore. I want so struggle and some grit so there's an actual difference when my sims get rich and can get npc's and bigger and better appliances.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    spontaneousivyspontaneousivy Posts: 250 Member
    Okay, interesting feedback. I was just thinking about how clothes could be dirty. The problem with these type of things is that people like to play differently - and without on/off buttons, how exactly will laundry be implemented? Either it has no real use, except for simple increases like a mood booster, or it becomes mandatory and people complain. :s
  • Options
    Okay, interesting feedback. I was just thinking about how clothes could be dirty. The problem with these type of things is that people like to play differently - and without on/off buttons, how exactly will laundry be implemented? Either it has no real use, except for simple increases like a mood booster, or it becomes mandatory and people complain. :s

In the sims 3, you only had to do laundry if you put a washer or hamper on your lot. I hope they do it that way again.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    @spontaneousivy Yeah what @DragonAge_300905 said - it could be triggered by a laundry object being added to the lot or something similar.
    Allons-y!

• Options
    @Aine That way it gives people choices for each household for rotational players.
  • Options
    DesertSimmer1971DesertSimmer1971 Posts: 498 Member
    If laundry has to come back into the game, why does it have to be another boring annoying chore? All the reasons from the people that want laundry in the game talk about "realism" and decorating their laundry rooms. They also want to add other housecleaning chores like vacuuming, ironing and sewing. I understand people play different ways, I mean in my house we have 3 separate origin accounts and we all play the sims 4 very differently.

Here is a compromise: If laundry has to come back in the game, let's make it a fun addition, not a boring chore. Let's have things like mom's finding bad grades in kids pockets and grounding them. Let's have wive's ask about the lipstick stain on their husband's collar (that is not the shade they wear). Let's have a random chance of a "Good" or "Evil" snuggle bear coming out of the dryer. Maybe "Good" bears can magically put dirty clothes in hampers if they are in the room. They also will keep the monster under the bed and nightmares away. Maybe "Evil" bears can magically empty hampers, cause the washer and dryer to break, and make sims that are nearby perform mean and mischief interactions. Don't worry, the option to sell the bear through inventory or build/buy mode will be available so that players that do not want any "negative" consequences in their unicorn world will not be bothered.

When sims change into appropriate clothing for things like parties, restaurants, or festivals and such (or just pee their pants), have dirty laundry in their inventory. After a few hours, not only do your sims get uncomfortable and embarrassed from the stinky clothes, but other sims around them get offended by the smell and are uncomfortable.

If there is an option to clean laundry from sinks/tubs and use a close line, why not also be able to have an interaction to hang clothes in the bathroom for poor sims that cannot afford a clothesline? Random underwear, socks, shirts, diapers, and pants appear like magic.

Also, what if the piles of laundry (if left out and not washed or put into the hamper) would turn into a "Dirty Laundry Bush", that when harvested is scented dried soap flakes? Sims could throw these in fountains, pools, hot tubs, and bubble baths. They could make different scented soaps, and sell these via inventory, CL tables, or in retail stores. The different scents could give off mood lets either when smelling them, or playing in the pool, hot tub, or fountain.

I know none of this is really eco-friendly, but figured if the focus is laundry, why not make it entertaining instead of a boring chore.
  • Options
    I know none of this is really eco-friendly, but figured if the focus is laundry, why not make it entertaining instead of a boring chore.
    You're right, it's not eco friendly, but at least you're attempting to look at laundry from a different perspective, well done!

• Options
    RobynTylerRobynTyler Posts: 38 Member
    While there are many ideas that fit the theme, I want to focus on the one thing that was the reason that alot of simmers voted for this particular theme.

Since we basically get two gameplay objects/features in the pack, it's better to focus on getting those two the way we want them.

Laundry is interesting, because it's a challenge to implement design wise. Personally I'd want more simulation features that highlights the struggle of a sim to get a more 'easy' sim life via luxury - just like The Sims was in the olden days. Laundry is a perfect feature to reflect that.

I'd love for sims clothes to get independently dirty - so that the hygiene bar drops a bit when sims wear dirty clothes. It could be implemented like a layer or a buff that is removed when sims clean their clothes. I don't know how much detail can be included here - if outfits can be independently dirty or not, but it should be considered.

Now, the way I figure it would work is that if a sim has the 'layer' or buff that signifies 'dirty clothes', even if that sim uses a shower, the drop in hygiene would still be there once they are back in their clothes. Meaning the only way they can remove the uncomfortable buff - or similar feature - would be to clean their clothes with the washing machine.

I would imagine that sims would remove their clothes and put them in the washer - changing them into underwear or towel - while they wait for the wash to finish. Then they get their clothes back and the dirty clothes buff is removed and replaced by a 'clean clothes' buff and their hygiene gets a boost!

Now, the way I imagine it, is that the dryer isn't necessary for cleaning clothes, but is more of a luxury item. Sims would get an extra hygiene boost and a luxurious feeling buff with perhaps some boosts to more pleasant buffs.

I'm thinking that a drying sequence would be added to the washing - so that the dryer would speed up the process. I'm not sure how the process would end up like - any ideas fellow simmers?

I'd LOVE to get fail states for the machines - especially one cheaper option that has a higher risk for getting sims 'itchy' or some such.
    And the luxury option would be considerably more expensive but be alot pleasant for sims to use.

In the sims cheap things=more fail states and takes longer, and expensive things=less fail states and faster.

With the Eco theme, there could be an option to wash clothes by hand, and have a clothing line where you can dry clothes in the hot sims air!

@SimGuruGraham

Edit: laundry should affect sims with the slob trait differently. Maybe they don't get affected the same, or it takes longer for them to get the negative buffs.

I think what you've come up with is great! Really detailed and I can imagine that would work quite well too. Having different moodlets for slob sims would be good too although, maybe having a positive or neutral one for when they wear the dirty clothes?
  • Options
    RobynTyler wrote: »

@SimGuruGraham

I think what you've come up with is great! Really detailed and I can imagine that would work quite well too. Having different moodlets for slob sims would be good too although, maybe having a positive or neutral one for when they wear the dirty clothes?

Thank you! Yes, I agree, different moodlets for slobs would be a good detail.
    Allons-y!