Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

My idea for laundry - input welcome

AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
While there are many ideas that fit the theme, I want to focus on the one thing that was the reason that alot of simmers voted for this particular theme.

Since we basically get two gameplay objects/features in the pack, it's better to focus on getting those two the way we want them.

Laundry is interesting, because it's a challenge to implement design wise. Personally I'd want more simulation features that highlights the struggle of a sim to get a more 'easy' sim life via luxury - just like The Sims was in the olden days. Laundry is a perfect feature to reflect that.

I'd love for sims clothes to get independently dirty - so that the hygiene bar drops a bit when sims wear dirty clothes. It could be implemented like a layer or a buff that is removed when sims clean their clothes. I don't know how much detail can be included here - if outfits can be independently dirty or not, but it should be considered.

Now, the way I figure it would work is that if a sim has the 'layer' or buff that signifies 'dirty clothes', even if that sim uses a shower, the drop in hygiene would still be there once they are back in their clothes. Meaning the only way they can remove the uncomfortable buff - or similar feature - would be to clean their clothes with the washing machine.

I would imagine that sims would remove their clothes and put them in the washer - changing them into underwear or towel - while they wait for the wash to finish. Then they get their clothes back and the dirty clothes buff is removed and replaced by a 'clean clothes' buff and their hygiene gets a boost!

Now, the way I imagine it, is that the dryer isn't necessary for cleaning clothes, but is more of a luxury item. Sims would get an extra hygiene boost and a luxurious feeling buff with perhaps some boosts to more pleasant buffs.

I'm thinking that a drying sequence would be added to the washing - so that the dryer would speed up the process. I'm not sure how the process would end up like - any ideas fellow simmers?

I'd LOVE to get fail states for the machines - especially one cheaper option that has a higher risk for getting sims 'itchy' or some such.
And the luxury option would be considerably more expensive but be alot pleasant for sims to use.

In the sims cheap things=more fail states and takes longer, and expensive things=less fail states and faster.

With the Eco theme, there could be an option to wash clothes by hand, and have a clothing line where you can dry clothes in the hot sims air!

@SimGuruGraham

Edit: laundry should affect sims with the slob trait differently. Maybe they don't get affected the same, or it takes longer for them to get the negative buffs.
Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
Post edited by Aine on

Comments

• gummybear0724gummybear0724 Posts: 1,146 Member
    But I don't want the laundry to be a must. I didn't really enjoy it, but it wasn't awful. I liked how you could choose if you would do laundry or not.
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I think I'd like hampers so laundry would be every few days or a week before needing to do a load of wash. But I like a lot of your ideas about the buffs and being able to wear dirty clothes.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• AineAine Posts: 3,043 Member
    @gummybear0724 How would you suggest it would work? Would it trigger if you added the laundry items to your lot, or some other setting?

@SageRainWillow Yes that would be cool - if a sim doesn't have time to wash clothes, they can still wear them, that was the idea - but what would the hampers do exactly?
    Allons-y!

---> Afterlife Game Pack Idea - improved ghosts, cemeteries and funerals, psychics, new skills, new career and more! <---
    ---> Burglary Stuff Pack Idea - Burglars, alarm systems, and diamonds to steal!<---
    Aine wrote: »
    @gummybear0724 How would you suggest it would work? Would it trigger if you added the laundry items to your lot, or some other setting?

@SageRainWillow Yes that would be cool - if a sim doesn't have time to wash clothes, they can still wear them, that was the idea - but what would the hampers do exactly?

I don't know if you ever played TS3, but every time you spun around and changed your outfit, the used clothes would drop into the hamper. The level of clothes would rise and eventually it would be overflowing. After that, changing your clothes would result in a pile of clothes on the floor if you didn't wash.

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited April 2017

I don't know if you ever played TS3, but every time you spun around and changed your outfit, the used clothes would drop into the hamper. The level of clothes would rise and eventually it would be overflowing. After that, changing your clothes would result in a pile of clothes on the floor if you didn't wash.

But - and this was a good thing, as it gave some gameplay options - if you didn't have laundry items in a house, it was as if you didn't own the laundry stuff at all. So you could play that way sometimes but didn't have to all the time. I'd hope that this pack, if it gets laundry, would also include that. But that if you do have laundry, it would make a difference whether you had an old top-loader inefficient machine or a shiny modern efficient machine or hung your laundry out to dry.
    Post edited by luthienrising on
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    @SageRainWillow I didn't play Sims 3 much, that sounds cool! Maybe they can do a version of that.

@luthienrising yes, however the laundry works, I'd love for there to be a difference between a cheaper options and more expensive and luxurious options.
    Allons-y!

But - and this was a good thing, as it game some gameplay options - if you didn't have laundry items in a house, it was as if you didn't own the laundry stuff at all. So you could play that way sometimes but didn't have to all the time. I'd hope that this pack, if it gets laundry, would also include that. But that if you do have laundry, it would make a difference whether you had an old top-loader inefficient machine or a shiny modern efficient machine or hung your laundry out to dry.

Yes, I did love that feature. There were times when my sims were too poor to buy a washing machine, so I wouldn't place the hamper on the lot. Not having to do laundry is good if you have poor or homeless sims. But my families and established sims would all have a laundry room.

• GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member

If you play in rotation like I do, and you pop back into a house that hasn't been played in 2 sim weeks, the whole house is covered in dirty, smelly piles of laundry. It would literally take my sim all day to clean all those loads. But I liked it, because for me, it added to the realism.

Hampers are a must for laundry.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

Laundry almost has to be tied to hampers. Otherwise, when townies take showers at the gym, you'd have clothes piles everywhere.

But - and this was a good thing, as it game some gameplay options - if you didn't have laundry items in a house, it was as if you didn't own the laundry stuff at all. So you could play that way sometimes but didn't have to all the time. I'd hope that this pack, if it gets laundry, would also include that. But that if you do have laundry, it would make a difference whether you had an old top-loader inefficient machine or a shiny modern efficient machine or hung your laundry out to dry.

Yes, I did love that feature. There were times when my sims were too poor to buy a washing machine, so I wouldn't place the hamper on the lot. Not having to do laundry is good if you have poor or homeless sims. But my families and established sims would all have a laundry room.

I'm one of those simmers that like having hard gameplay thrown at me. I miss the old Sims days when it was super hard for poor sims. Maybe there could be a setting in game or something? Or a cheat maybe? I just want harder gameplay with better payoff.
    Allons-y!

Oh btw, I think laundry should affect sims with the slob trait differently. Maybe they don't get affected the same, or it takes longer for them to get the negative buffs. Edited the OP to add that.
    Allons-y!

I'm one of those simmers that like having hard gameplay thrown at me. I miss the old Sims days when it was super hard for poor sims. Maybe there could be a setting in game or something? Or a cheat maybe? I just want harder gameplay with better payoff.

I'm the same way! I never have my sims work real jobs. There's ways of making the game very challenging if you like that. You can give them "fake" jobs, like go to the library and put away books as the Librarian would. Or go to someone's house and take care of their kids as a nanny. Then use the money cheat to add like $50 for your part-time wages. I also deduct money anytime I travel for cab fare. If my sims are sick, deduct $100 for a doctor, etc.

I try to think of things that would cost money in real life, and even if it's free in the game, I make them pay it. There's also mods that can help keep your sims poor and struggling. I always stay away from the real money makers like painting and writing.

• SnaveXsSnaveXs Posts: 4,322 Member
    edited April 2017
    To keep the pile of clothes from piling up on the floor. They could have a couple of different modes. Low mode for players who don't like clothes piles but still want the laundry basket full and heavy mode for people who like piles of clothing scattered everywhere. The option could work like other objects that have a number of selections for function.
    Post edited by SnaveXs on
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    But - and this was a good thing, as it gave some gameplay options - if you didn't have laundry items in a house, it was as if you didn't own the laundry stuff at all. So you could play that way sometimes but didn't have to all the time. I'd hope that this pack, if it gets laundry, would also include that. But that if you do have laundry, it would make a difference whether you had an old top-loader inefficient machine or a shiny modern efficient machine or hung your laundry out to dry.
    Interesting, so it was essentially tied to the hamper, such that if you didn't have one, you wouldn't have any laundry buildup? Clever.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Interesting, so it was essentially tied to the hamper, such that if you didn't have one, you wouldn't have any laundry buildup? Clever.

I believe it was tied to the hamper and the washing machine, so if you only had the washing machine but no hamper, you had piles on the floor.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    Triplis wrote: »

Yep, you could opt out of laundry entirely by not putting any laundry stuff on the lot. The minute you put down a hamper/washing machine/dryer/clothesline <--- any of those items would prompt the creation of dirty laundry. Otherwise, your clothes stayed clean and no piles.

• MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Still not seeing the point in laundry being added at the expense of eco related game play items.

How are you thinking laundry relates to eco freindly?

Washer + drier + clothesline. that's 3 items.
    Congratulations, you have a lame laundry pack, not an eco friendly pack.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
    Movotti wrote: »
    Still not seeing the point in laundry being added at the expense of eco related game play items.

Eco is only a working title anyway. It probably won't even be named anything like that by the time we vote on a name.

Eco is only a working title anyway. It probably won't even be named anything like that by the time we vote on a name.

I thought the options given were supposed to set the theme.
    At this rate, it won't have anything to do with eco living, it'll just be chores of drudgery.

I thought the options given were supposed to set the theme.
    At this rate, it won't have anything to do with eco living, it'll just be chores of drudgery.

I have already stated on multiple threads, ad nauseum, how to the two (laundry and eco) can work together in one pack. But it doesn't matter. The people that hate the idea of laundry are going to beat this dead horse to no avail, even when it was clearly stated as a possible (and most likely probable) activity, along with other things that could help with domestic responsibilities.

The people that hate the idea of laundry are going to beat this dead horse to no avail,
    It's not so much hating is, as not seeing how it fits with an eco living theme, at the expense of other gameplay items.

Sure, if laundry was added as decor, there'd be no complaints, but playable items instead of eco living playable items? That's just a cop out.

The people that hate the idea of laundry are going to beat this dead horse to no avail,
    It's not so much hating is, as not seeing how it fits with an eco living theme, at the expense of other gameplay items.

Sure, if laundry was added as decor, there'd be no complaints, but playable items instead of eco living playable items? That's just a cop out.

How is it a cop out when it literally said it in the description? Sorry, but if you voted for the working title and not the suggested game play beneath it, then that falls on you.

edited April 2017
    And if I remember correctly, you didn't even vote for the pack. Now you want to do away with the item which most people who voted for it wanted. If they stuck it under ANY heading, we still would have voted for whichever pack it was contained in. So a rose by any other name...

• Sonia016Sonia016 Posts: 482 Member

I'd love for sims clothes to get independently dirty - so that the hygiene bar drops a bit when sims wear dirty clothes. It could be implemented like a layer or a buff that is removed when sims clean their clothes. I don't know how much detail can be included here - if outfits can be independently dirty or not, but it should be considered.

This I like :)

The Sims Game

How is it a cop out when it literally said it in the description? Sorry, but if you voted for the working title and not the suggested game play beneath it, then that falls on you.

Yeah. Suggested game play, not what it 100% would contain
    And if I remember correctly, you didn't even vote for the pack. Now you want to do away with the item which most people who voted for it wanted. If they stuck it under ANY heading, we still would have voted for whichever pack it was contained in. So a rose by any other name...
    How do you know what I voted for?
    I don't even remember which one I put first.
    It may have been eco living, it may have been death and danger, it certainly wasn't romance and weddings, nor arcades, and it 100% was not drudgery chore living.

If you're lusing over chores so much, come do my housework, so that I can have my sims go partying.