Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Eco living brainstorming (thinking in terms of energy/environment)

Brainstorming:

- Solar Panels that you can place on a roof, which reduce your bills
- Wind turbines that can reduce bills (maybe too much animation work for little purpose though... I don't know that wind power is really something people use / can use on personal property)
- Recycle bin (outdoor trashcan): Every time you put trash in it, it stores / adds to a number. Once a week, when the mail comes, your recycle bin is emptied too (via a notification that it happened) and you're also given a notification about how your recycling impacted the environment (relative to how much trash you'd put in there over the week, ex: "by recycling, you helped reduce the pollution caused by waste by a factor of X%"... or if that's too complicated, no number stored, just each week, you get a notification saying you helped with no mention of "by how much")
- Compacted items (which cost less bills in the process)? (ex: mini-fridge, half a stove (seems like sims only animate on one burner anyway, from what I recall, so should be feasible), dish washer that is an independent item and takes up only 1 slot, radio/mp3player (super small of the size that can fit on a counter slot, and plays music), smaller counters? (1 tile instead of 4.. if feasible to do with animations). Basically, in terms of items, overall idea here is: Takes up less space and therefore less energy because it's smaller (not always true in RL, I'm sure, but that's the theme I'm brainstorming for items).
- 50s music station, like what you'd find in a Fallout game, with songs like "I don't want to set the world on fire" in simlish. Why? I don't know for sure why 50s strikes me as a good idea; I think because when I envision compact items and such, mixed with environmental consciousness, it's like a blending of mentalities; the future (of appliance size and technology) + going back to the past (be aware of, and taking care of, the environment). And the 50s music has that nice feeling that works so well in the dystopian mood of Fallout games, like you woke up and went backwards in time, and everyone is just singing about it for some reason. I don't know, I think I just like that type of music because of Fallout and am trying to justify it.

Maybe jumping the gun a bit without seeing the art the team has done, but eh, it's brainstorming.
Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

Comments

• Options
    ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Recycling with new moodlets and a new trait, I can see.
  • Options
    khivakhiva Posts: 2 New Member
    I could see it being a lot like Sims 3 with the "Eco-friendly" trait in terms of moodlets and gameplay features. It would be kind of cool if they were to expand on it a bit more in Sims 4, though.
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    Someone mentioned canning/juicing. That sounds interesting to me, and would make more use out of the garden besides selling and eating.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,753 Member
    Someone mentioned canning/juicing. That sounds interesting to me, and would make more use out of the garden besides selling and eating.

you do know the stuff we can harvest can be used in cooking? so that Canning/juicing is just an added of "extra"
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Options
    SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    I really want the Grandma's Canning Station back, but better than ever.

Make jams, jellies, and preserve food. Then you could also sell your handmade jams at the Flea Market or pop a table anywhere and make a little money.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• Options
    edited April 2017
    I really want the Grandma's Canning Station back, but better than ever.

Make jams, jellies, and preserve food. Then you could also sell your handmade jams at the Flea Market or pop a table anywhere and make a little money.

We have too many fruits and vegetables without a purpose. This would give us a reason to have large, sustainable gardens. We could even use the herbs to make pesto that could be spread on toast.

(Edit: have no idea how I just quoted myself :D)

• Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    I would love to see the Canning Station back and expanded on a bit more. Solar energy would also be awesome. As well as composting, maybe a bit more expanded upon.

Home technology...if at all doable...wall ovens and cooktops would be so great. Indoor garden stuff. Like glass roofs to do a greenhouse that can aid in sustainable living.

Build mode items for like bamboo homes. Organic rugs/decor. Maybe a moodlet for using organic produce grown from sims gardens.
  • Options
    MadameLee wrote: »

you do know the stuff we can harvest can be used in cooking? so that Canning/juicing is just an added of "extra"

That's assuming you'd use the canned and juiced products in the cooking. (And yes, I'm aware you can use harvested gardening stuff in cooking, that's why I said 'eating' lol.)

But let's say you have CL so you have that table to sell stuff on. Or you have GTW so you have a retail store set up. Either way, you can have yourself a little 'farmer's market' sort of thing at home or at the store to sell jams/juices/pickles/whatever else you can or juice. Or you can just expand the livelihood of your Sim who likes to garden (maxing the skill, the aspiration, maybe even having a job related to it).
  • Options
    MissMahooMissMahoo Posts: 208 Member
    I would love a more off the grid type pack rather than an ultra modern eco style. Upcycled, shabby chic and rustic style furniture and decor, new age style CAS items, composting, canning station, solar and wind power to reduce bills and our Sims carbon footprint. Love the idea of greenhouses and a retro music station and eco friendly trait too.
  • Options
    Maybe we could see the return of beaded doors? :)

MTS_waywardpixie-274201-snapshot_31389318_9146fe59.jpg
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Those who are into juicing (I assume you mean creating juice drinks), what kind of stuff would you want from it in terms of how it'd look in game? Like just different types of juice you can create from fruits and drink? Ability to mix them? Special moodlets from drinking them? Or something else I'm not thinking of?
  • Options
    mustenimusteni Posts: 5,406 Member
    I wanted to suggest insect eating, but we already have that in OR. It's really something that I should make more use of. Will be great to use with this pack later on I think :smile:
  • Options
    LadyEmillyeLadyEmillye Posts: 19,238 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Those who are into juicing (I assume you mean creating juice drinks), what kind of stuff would you want from it in terms of how it'd look in game? Like just different types of juice you can create from fruits and drink? Ability to mix them? Special moodlets from drinking them? Or something else I'm not thinking of?

Certainly some recipes . .like Strawberry Banana. Or making some Green Smoothies with veggies and fruit . .not the plantain tho, that taste better fried, boiled or as chips :yum:

Maybe tie into emotions, like some give you energized, others make you happy, that sorta thing.
  • Options
    SkyeChimesSkyeChimes Posts: 376 Member
    I really like the idea of GREENHOUSES - closest thing we have is the glass canopy from get together. I think I greenhouse works with off grid homesteading and a more modern theme (because what's more modern then glass everywhere? Lol)
    juicer could be interesting - I know we can use fresh produce when cooking but any sim I have who gardens even casually ends up with ridiculously more produce than they can possibly use.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    -internet error duplicate post-
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    diisnerddiisnerd Posts: 52 Member
    I would love to see more plant options with this stuff pack. More decorative plants of all sizes, shapes, and colors as well as some more gardening options (a good greenhouse lot would be awesome or more stuff to make a greenhouse).

I also think adding in something that could Segway into cars such as the ability to buy and use a bike or rollerblades/skates would be great!
  • Options
    TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    Hmm. How might a greenhouse function? That might be something beyond SP specs. Maybe you could clarify on this one whether a greenhouse falls under category of things that goes beyond SP material? @SimGuruGraham

It seems like what we'd essentially need for a greenhouse is special roofing and windows.
  • Options
    diisnerddiisnerd Posts: 52 Member
    Triplis wrote: »
    Hmm. How might a greenhouse function? That might be something beyond SP specs. Maybe you could clarify on this one whether a greenhouse falls under category of things that goes beyond SP material? @SimGuruGraham

It seems like what we'd essentially need for a greenhouse is special roofing and windows.

I was thinking more along the lines of the roofing options and such. Maybe a windowed roof that could be made round or basically function as a roof does. Right now you can use the see-through dance floor tiles to make a flat roofed one, but a special roof could be cool. It would have other aesthetic touches as well for different builds (i.e. sky light). But making it a lot could maybe have the ability to sell fresh produce like the produce stands in City Living or even just be a good hangout for you garden loving sims.

Maybe add some different planters or the ability to rent out a plot at the greenhouse for those San Myshuno sims who can't afford a penthouse but want a garden?

Mostly it was just a passing thought. Probably not necessarily practical for a SP.
  • Options
    Briana2425Briana2425 Posts: 3,591 Member
    SkyeChimes wrote: »
    I really like the idea of GREENHOUSES - closest thing we have is the glass canopy from get together. I think I greenhouse works with off grid homesteading and a more modern theme (because what's more modern then glass everywhere? Lol)
    juicer could be interesting - I know we can use fresh produce when cooking but any sim I have who gardens even casually ends up with ridiculously more produce than they can possibly use.

I also said greenhouses in another thread.
  • Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Farmers Market.
    A place to buy/sell produce, fish, baked goods.

Tire Swing.
    Already suspended from the branch of a tree.

All in one kitchen.
    It's an entire kitchen, with a small footprint, perfect for eco friendly tiny homes.
    I would love to see the Canning Station back and expanded on a bit more.
    That!
    Though, how would you expand the concept?
    Cakes in jars?

Solar panels and wind turbines.
    To reduce your utilities bill.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Aeriexo11Aeriexo11 Posts: 646 Member
    No offense to the laundry lovers out there, but Green Houses are much more Eco Friendly to me.

• Options
    MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Farmers Market.

Tire Swing.

All in one kitchen.
    It's an entire kitchen, with a small footprint, perfect for eco friendly tiny homes.
    That!
    Cakes in jars?

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • Options
    Movotti wrote: »
    Farmers Market.

Tire Swing.

All in one kitchen.
    That!
    Cakes in jars?

A modder already accomplished expanding the canning station in TS3. You could cook meals and can them as servings - or what they called rations. You'd open up the can and out popped a fully cooked meal ready to eat! This also prevented food spoilage. I played TS3 with really long winters. My farmer would cook during the shorter growing months and can it. They ate rations all winter long. I would make a pantry with floor to ceiling shelves and stack all my rations in there. Hovering over the jars, I could see what they were, and everyone could choose a different (or favorite) meal.