Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want a vote where I can tell EA that I want less stuff packs and more expansions

mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
Weddings, funerals? Since when is that stuff pack worthy and not expansion worthy?
We're getting less expansions than in the previous iterations and far more stuff packs. Stuff packs that come with 1 interacteable new item and are not even NEARLY enough to explore the themes that they set out to explore.

Frankly I'm quite upset with how shallow the bowling pack was and rather nothing as important as weddings and funerals would receive the same treatment.

In ideal world we could just sacrifice those 5 SPs per year and get our 2 expansions per year back.

Comments

• LadyJesterLadyJester Posts: 606 Member
    I don't think that is going to happen. I don't think stuff packs are the reason why we are only getting 1 EP a year.
  • AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 713 Member
    Well it has it's cons and pros. For one, people who don't like Supernaturals don't have to buy the Vampires Game Pack like when we got them on other Nightlife packs. The bad thing is that they're taking base game objects like the hot tub, waterslide, movies, Butlers and charging 10 bucks for them. They're also making stuff packs like the Kids Room void thing that easily could've been part of Generations EP. But oh well, it's the new way to make money now, I kind of understand that.
  • doons88pdoons88p Posts: 8 New Member
    I don't like their new strategy and I completely agree with you. What it is the point of paying every month for a few items, I would like to wait 5 months, save money and buy one satisfying expansion pack with lots of stuff and game changes. I miss the golden days of the series.....Sims 4 could have rocketed to the top if they had continued with more packs like "Get to work".
  • RyanOvergrowthRyanOvergrowth Posts: 42 Member
    Come on... you're missing the point of this event. The team is listening to the feedback they are getting and showing us the creative process behind a SP. Even though I agree and would love more EPs and GPs, SPs provide a good amount of content to appeal to a niche audience.

But to reiterate what the Gurus have said; different teams work on different areas of the game, so progress on a SP has no affect on progress on an EP. They said from the beginning that content will be distributed in a new way that is different to old Sims games. They only have so many resources and I feel that they deliver a good amount of content to bide me over until a bigger pack, and recently offer 2/3 interactive objects or new gameplay.

Although I do agree that funerals and weddings are more core areas of the game and would seem more suited for a larger pack, this is only the first phase of the process. Those options might not even be chosen and even if they are, the content that is provided will be voted upon by the us.
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    AlanSims wrote: »
    Well it has it's cons and pros. For one, people who don't like Supernaturals don't have to buy the Vampires Game Pack like when we got them on other Nightlife packs. The bad thing is that they're taking base game objects like the hot tub, waterslide, movies, Butlers and charging 10 bucks for them. They're also making stuff packs like the Kids Room void thing that easily could've been part of Generations EP. But oh well, it's the new way to make money now, I kind of understand that.

When have any of those objects every been base game? Hot tubs were in sims 2 but..

Hot tubs sims 3 late night and a couple stuff packs

Water slide generations

Movies never, although we could make home made videos in generations and there was q movie theater store set which was super half baked

Butlers also late night
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png
    doons88p wrote: »
    I don't like their new strategy and I completely agree with you. What it is the point of paying every month for a few items, I would like to wait 5 months, save money and buy one satisfying expansion pack with lots of stuff and game changes. I miss the golden days of the series.....Sims 4 could have rocketed to the top if they had continued with more packs like "Get to work".

Get to work was horribly half baked imo so nty.
    To the op: I understand you are frustrated by the seemingly infinite sp's and very few EP's. I am as well actually. However less stuff packs will not equal more expansion packs.

I genuinely think the reason we are getting less eps is due to the toddler and cas updates, as well as pets being worked on.
  • SimpkinSimpkin Posts: 7,425 Member
    edited April 2017
    To the op: I understand you are frustrated by the seemingly infinite sp's and very few EP's. I am as well actually. However less stuff packs will not equal more expansion packs.

I genuinely think the reason we are getting less eps is due to the toddler and cas updates, as well as pets being worked on.

what CAS updates?
    edit: also who said pets are being worked on?
    Seasons toggle button in build mode poll. Vote now please! :)
  • JimG72JimG72 Posts: 1,161 Member
    You do have a vote...it's called your wallet. If stuff packs don't sell, then they won't keep making them. The reality is that every game sells this sort of cosmetic DLC and these types of things seem to sell well or all the game developers wouldn't be continually selling new cosmetic DLC.
    What it is the point of paying every month for a few items, I would like to wait 5 months, save money and buy one satisfying expansion pack with lots of stuff and game changes.

The stuff pack and expansion pack teams are different teams. As one of the developers mentioned in connection with the bowling stuff pack release, the stuff packs are intended to introduce some themed, niche items that they have already determined won't be part of expansion or game packs. So, it's not as if the stuff packs are pieces of larger expansion packs...they are things that won't otherwise be in the game which are sold a la carte to people interested in those particular themes.

• Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited April 2017
    I would like to have fewer options, I would like to pay more, and wait a longer time between content releases please.
    I have faith that as long as I wait patiently the next EP will be something I think is worth the $40

And if the pool table I've been waiting for happens to come in a Supernatural pack and I can't turn off the monsters (cause reasons)..I'm good with that....

As long as it's in an EP and that EP is top quality I'm happy to donate my $30 to a worthy cause. o:)
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    LadyJester wrote: »
    I don't think that is going to happen. I don't think stuff packs are the reason why we are only getting 1 EP a year.

resource allocation starting from funding that The Sims department gets to begin with has a lot to do with what we get. If they're funding a massive SP team, then of course that reduces the amount of money they can dedicated to EP teams.

I'm not really talking about game packs. Weddings and funerals will not be delegated to game packs, or expansion packs. They're now, according to survey, stuff pack property. And that really causes concern having in mind that they won't flesh those themes out.

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,853 Member
    mirta000 wrote: »
    LadyJester wrote: »

resource allocation starting from funding that The Sims department gets to begin with has a lot to do with what we get. If they're funding a massive SP team, then of course that reduces the amount of money they can dedicated to EP teams.

I'm not really talking about game packs. Weddings and funerals will not be delegated to game packs, or expansion packs. They're now, according to survey, stuff pack property. And that really causes concern having in mind that they won't flesh those themes out.

You really don't know that for sure. Just because they are possible features in this community stuff project doesn't mean all the losing themes will only show up in future stuff packs.
  • LoanetLoanet Posts: 4,079 Member
    Stuff Packs and Expansions are made by different teams. Cutting one won't mean more for the other.

Weddings are a social event. Maybe funerals will be too.
    Prepping a list of mods to add after Infants are placed into the game. Because real life isn't 'nice'.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    Loanet wrote: »
    Stuff Packs and Expansions are made by different teams. Cutting one won't mean more for the other.

I mean, do you work for EA and can confirm that?

To me, it's logical to think if management took the stuff pack team, merged them and the amount of work they do, into the expansion pack team, we would get better, more fleshed out expansions.

While I do love the idea of @SimGuruGraham choosing to incorporate player feedback into development (about time -- so happy about it though), I think stuff packs are a total waste. Game packs should have completely eradicated the existence of stuff packs.
  • TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    It's just as reasonable to assume that without the SPs, they'd let the team go and increase their profit margins by cutting off those wages and no longer needing the budget. In fact, the way some people talk about EA around here, you'd think that's the only option that would happen.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    JimG72 wrote: »
    You do have a vote...it's called your wallet. If stuff packs don't sell, then they won't keep making them. The reality is that every game sells this sort of cosmetic DLC and these types of things seem to sell well or all the game developers wouldn't be continually selling new cosmetic DLC.
    What it is the point of paying every month for a few items, I would like to wait 5 months, save money and buy one satisfying expansion pack with lots of stuff and game changes.

The stuff pack and expansion pack teams are different teams. As one of the developers mentioned in connection with the bowling stuff pack release, the stuff packs are intended to introduce some themed, niche items that they have already determined won't be part of expansion or game packs. So, it's not as if the stuff packs are pieces of larger expansion packs...they are things that won't otherwise be in the game which are sold a la carte to people interested in those particular themes.

Can't argue with the money part., If unhappy spend your cash on something that is worth buying.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    JimG72 wrote: »

Can't argue with the money part., If unhappy spend your cash on something that is worth buying.

The problem with that is that it gives no info to EA at all.
    If 300K out of 5 million people buy a SP they do not know why others did not buy it.

- did they quit the game?
    - is the theme not interesting for them?
    - are they waiting for a sale?
    - did it include not enough objects?

you can pull any sort of conclusion out of that. Similarly to support EPs I would have to buy all EPs that come out no matter their quality, or else EA "might" think that EPs are no longer an in thing. If there's no way to tell a business why their product doesn't interest you, there's no way that they can predict why you didn't buy it.
  • Uzone27Uzone27 Posts: 2,808 Member
    edited April 2017
    Deleted.
    Post edited by MrMonty96 on
  • DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    edited April 2017
    Deleted.
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"
    edited April 2017
    Deleted.
  • MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    edited April 2017
    Deleted.
  • SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
    Hello everyone!

I am going to close this thread as it is not productive to the spirit of this initiative and is only created to develop negativity around something that is meant to be positive and create a learning experience for all of you.

Please keep posts in this forum section related to being productive to the conversation. If you'd like to provide feedback that isn't directly related to this initiative please provide it in the appropriate section.
    Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top