Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Finally - Thank you!

I am a huge fan of this initiative to include players in the development of The Sims. This is something we have needed and asked for so long, and huge props to the developers for finally choosing this route. I can't wait to see how this progresses past the initial survey, as the devs enter the next stages of development.

If this works, I think it would be a fantastic idea to expand this to The Sims 4's game packs and expansion packs. They suffer from the same problem as stuff packs, and involving fans in their development would lead to a greater amount of happiness amongst the fanbase.

Comments

• Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    Then we will end up with an ep or gp that takes two years instead of one year, if not longer. You are aware this sps won't be done until late fall as it is and we are starting now. Sure it is a great idea - but considering the timeline and the numbers of team members those involve it really does only make sense for an sp.

Maybe in the far future if it all goes well. Who knows really?

My middle son is a programmer and I can tell you it's very time consuming and not something they do well under player scrutiny.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• DeservedCriticismDeservedCriticism Posts: 2,251 Member
    Sk8rblaze wrote: »
    If this works, I think it would be a fantastic idea to expand this to The Sims 4's game packs and expansion packs. They suffer from the same problem as stuff packs, and involving fans in their development would lead to a greater amount of happiness amongst the fanbase.

Eeehhh careful.

Look at City Living. Great example of a popular concept gone horribly wrong. Something highly, highly important to the effectiveness of such a plan is the wording and transparency. If the Sims team asks "DO U GUIS WANT APARTMENTS????" Guess what, everyone screams "YES" as enthusiastically as possible. If the Sims team asks "DO U GUIS WANT FESTIVALS???" Again, everyone says "OF COURSE" and seems excited for their return.

....Now change the wording. "DO U GUIS WANT APARTMENTS THAT NEED A LOADING SCREEN TO VISIT UR NEIGHBORS, DON'T HAVE LOBBIES OR ELEVATORS AND UR NEIGHBORS CONSTANTLY BREAK IN TO DRINK UR WATER?" Suddenly there's less enthusiasm. "DO U WANT FESTIVALS THAT RECYCLE BASE GAME CONTENT?" Again, suddenly people aren't so keen on the idea.

I made a thread already about this very issue; the current execution is gonna favor conventional ideas that have already been done in the past; Dangerous stuff is screwed, Wedding Stuff is at a disadvantage, Starter Home has decent odds since it's long been requested for cheaper, cruddier stuff, and then Arcade and Laundry stuff are the strongest contenders since both have been heavily discussed recently and both have already been done before in past titles. I think if they really wanna improve on this, they need to offer sales pitches for each idea, and include a bit more detail and transparency regarding their ideas.

Less transparency and details = conventional ideas always always win
    More transparency and details = Every idea stands a chance based on it's own merit and on the sales pitch provided
    "Who are you, that do not know your history?"