Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

How well does The Sims 4 run on the New Macbook Pro 15" with touch bar.

Hi Simmers, I'm planning to get a late 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with touch bar and am wondering how it runs The Sims 4? I will be buying probably all of the packs. I cant play The Sims at the moment, I have only use Windows PC. any way, how does it run? what about with packs? what settings do you have the game set to? does it lag a lot? are MacBook Pro's Ok for gaming? I really like Mac, TS4 will be the main game I play.
I don't use mods.

Thanks

Comments

• Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Macbooks in general are not made for gaming. However, if you read around this forum section you will see varied results. I do not have a MacBook, but I have very few to no issues with Sims 4 as a whole.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
  • DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    Macbooks in general are not made for gaming. However, if you read around this forum section you will see varied results. I do not have a MacBook, but I have very few to no issues with Sims 4 as a whole.

Thanks, I realised that, I really like the look of Mac and macOS though. I wish Apple would make one for more intensive things like gaming where it could have a better graphics card
  • BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    DcD2510 wrote: »

Thanks, I realised that, I really like the look of Mac and macOS though. I wish Apple would make one for more intensive things like gaming where it could have a better graphics card

The high spec. 15" is absolutely fine for gaming because it has a dedicated 2Gb (upgradeable to 4Gb) GPU. I'm playing Sims 4 with all settings on high on a 2012 15" MBP with NVIDIA 650M 1Gb GPU and it plays great. The higher spec. 15" MBP is the only Mac notebook that is capable of playing games well because of the dedicated graphics and the quad core processors.

I think maybe @Tremayne4260 may have been getting muddled up with the 12" MacBook which is absolutely not designed for gaming at all :)
    apple-signature.png
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member

There are some Macs that can handle the sims. If you are playing more intense games like GTA V or the witcher 3 and games like that I suggest a gaming desktop. They do put laptop video cards in Mac. laptop hardware is weaker than desktop hardware. If your only playing the sims or less intense games you would be fine on a higher end Mac with a dedicated video card
    Thanks everyone, it should be good then.

The high spec. 15" is absolutely fine for gaming because it has a dedicated 2Gb (upgradeable to 4Gb) GPU. I'm playing Sims 4 with all settings on high on a 2012 15" MBP with NVIDIA 650M 1Gb GPU and it plays great. The higher spec. 15" MBP is the only Mac notebook that is capable of playing games well because of the dedicated graphics and the quad core processors.

I think maybe @Tremayne4260 may have been getting muddled up with the 12" MacBook which is absolutely not designed for gaming at all :)

Yup! Thanks Bluebellflora! :)
  • jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member

The ones that have dedicated graphics, can run The Sims easily :)
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    I have a IMac desk top computer but it does not run the Sims well, the Simmers on this post are talking about a Macbook Pro 15 the touch bar, I was thinking of getting one also, but there are two of them not sure wish one to get. The lower on or the higher one?
    candy8 wrote: »
    I have a IMac desk top computer but it does not run the Sims well, the Simmers on this post are talking about a Macbook Pro 15 the touch bar, I was thinking of getting one also, but there are two of them not sure wish one to get. The lower on or the higher one?
    I'm getting the higher end one, it to me would be good, and especially if I want 1 or 2 more games
    candy8 wrote: »

You want the Higher end one with as much RAM as you can add. Seriously, that will help you in the long run.
  • candy8candy8 Posts: 3,815 Member
    Thanks to you both I was thinking about getting a gaming computer but I had a regular PC when I first started playing the sims and I had all kinds of trouble with it especially when I downloaded CC I got viruses. That is why I switched to the Mac I have not had that problem with them and I can't play sims without CC.
  • alwaysimminggalwaysimmingg Posts: 82 Member
    i have the newest and biggest macbook pro with the touchbar and the sims runs like a dream i play on ultra with loads of cc and there's no lag whatsoever
    43a9e79e48f14f5ed6488469d6d1976f.gif
    co-creator of the Not So Berry legacy challenge // I'm a lover // twitter // twitch
    i have the newest and biggest macbook pro with the touchbar and the sims runs like a dream i play on ultra with loads of cc and there's no lag whatsoever

Which graphics card do you have? The 2Gb Radeon Pro 450, 2Gb Radeon Pro 455 or the 4Gb Radeon Pro 460?

apple-signature.png
  • ZaraAdnZaraAdn Posts: 5 New Member
    I have the 13" Macbook Pro with Touch Bar, and The Sims 4 is really smooth with all the packs. Loading screens takes less than a minute.
  • reanseihreanseih Posts: 265 Member
    I have a 13" MBP with Touch Bar as well. It runs buttery smooth, even on quite high settings. The thing is though, it's LOUD. And it eats battery lol. Macs usually run very quiet and have very long battery life... if you don't run stuff like Sims or Boot Camp. Another thing is that if you turn it on absolutely max settings, you prolly will have a hard time playing on higher resolutions. I mean the native resolution still works fine, just that I think that makes menus too large so I usually turn it up a notch.

With all that said, I've upgraded both my RAM and CPU so that prolly is helping me quite a bit. Sims 4 used to crash now and then on my old Mac, think that was a uh... 2013 module? Forgot. That one I had 16gb of RAM as well but CPU was just what they gave.
    青天白日滿地紅 Blue Sky, White Sun, and a Wholly Red Earth
    The Sims 4 Gallery
    The Sims 4 Showcase
    reanseih wrote: »
    I have a 13" MBP with Touch Bar as well. It runs buttery smooth, even on quite high settings. The thing is though, it's LOUD. And it eats battery lol. Macs usually run very quiet and have very long battery life... if you don't run stuff like Sims or Boot Camp. Another thing is that if you turn it on absolutely max settings, you prolly will have a hard time playing on higher resolutions. I mean the native resolution still works fine, just that I think that makes menus too large so I usually turn it up a notch.

With all that said, I've upgraded both my RAM and CPU so that prolly is helping me quite a bit. Sims 4 used to crash now and then on my old Mac, think that was a uh... 2013 module? Forgot. That one I had 16gb of RAM as well but CPU was just what they gave.

It's loud because your Mac is cooling itself down so it doesn't overheat and die - it's a good thing! Your Mac doesn't have super powerful graphics so if it starts to struggle when EA add more patches and you add more game packs then just turn the graphics settings down.
    apple-signature.png