Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Question about a new iMac and wondering, does anyone still use Bootcamp?

I have been playing on a 2011 27 inch iMac with bootcamp, since Oct. 2014. I'm pretty sure my graphics card died on Sunday... game screen got all screwy.

To have the video card replaced would be over $500. Because it is six years old, I'm considering replacing it with a new one. So I have a couple of questions:

First, is anyone using the new 27 inch iMac with Retina 5k, IntelCore i5, 8GB Memory, 2TB Fusion Drive Silver? Will the game run okay? Does it run hot? I ask because my game had started running hot lately on the old iMac. I'm not sure if that was due to the graphics card going or if was because of the game.

Next, I'm used to Bootcamp and wouldn't mind continuing to use that with the new computer. Does anyone still use it? Do you feel it runs better than on the mac side, or about the same?

I have all the packs for the pc side and I don't want to have to repurchase everything to play on the mac side.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• BluebellFloraBluebellFlora Posts: 7,110 Member
    The games are available to you as Mac and Windows versions, you don't have to buy the game twice through Origin. If you play on the Mac side it will download the Mac version, if you play on the Windows side it will download the Windows version. The physical disc for the game is PC only so will not run on a Mac.

apple-signature.png
  • WrathofCathWrathofCath Posts: 4,419 Member
    edited January 2017
    Hmmm, maybe that's the problem then. I tried to get onto origin from the mac side yesterday and the only games that showed up were Sims3 (which I had installed on the mac side). I only got bootcamp because when S4 was released, they had no idea If or When, there would be a mac version.

I did originally install S4 from a disc for pc. Is that why it won't show up on the mac side? If so, do I have to get a disc for Mac to get it to work over there?

Unfortunately I won't be able to check anything out, since the computer is at the Apple Store waiting for diagnostics.

One more question, do you think the new iMac will be able to handle the game and all the packs?

Thank you so much for helping @BluebellFlora! I really appreciate it :)
    Post edited by WrathofCath on
  • Tremayne4260Tremayne4260 Posts: 3,126 Member
    Did you register the CD with Origin? If you did and you have Origin installed for the Mac, then the Mac version should still be available. I got Sims 4 for Windows digitally and then when the Mac Version was available it installed on my computer when I logged in using the Mac OS.
    Second Star to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning.
    I was going to say yes, immediately but now I'm not sure... I know we always had to register the games on S3 but I don't remember if Origin prompted for that. The other thing is, I never had Origin installed on the mac side. I only put it over on the bootcamp side.

Yesterday, before taking it to be repaired, I thought I'd try it out on the mac side, so I DL'ed Origin but only the Sims 3 games showed up. Nothing from S4.
    You must be logged into Origin using the same account you originally registered TS4 to when you installed it in Windows. You can always contact customer support who can check your accounts and codes and hopefully merge them? https://help.ea.com/en/contact-us/
    apple-signature.png
    Thank you for the link @BluebellFlora :) Unfortunately I can't try anything right now... computer is at the shop getting its diagnostic check.
    I have decided to just go ahead and get the new iMac. As soon as that's done, I will check to see if I have S4 available on the Mac side.

I am still going to have them install bootcamp for me, just in case. I've been playing that way since I started in S4 without any issues till lately. I'm hoping it was just the video card going and not something else...

Thank you for the help @BluebellFlora and @Tremayne4260 :)

You're welcome, hope it all works out ok :)
    apple-signature.png