Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The major cause of lag

I have been through the entire game map with a fine tooth comb to try and find out what was causing considerable lag in Island Paradise and I am quite shocked at what I have discovered. The common culprits are Rubisel Ichtaca and Akoni Kahale getting stuck outside their homes where the lot isn't flush with the terrain and leaving raised surfaces and gaps in the terrain that sims cannot walk across, but even if these sims are reset there is still lag in the game. That is when I looked around closely and spotted that 98% of all lots are not flush with the terrain and causing sims to complain or having to walk great distances to reach areas they cannot get to.

I know Ellacharmed on mod the sims made her own version of the Island Paradise game map with a few changes on some lots to address issues of badly placed objects that were stopping sims from being able to use stairs and bathrooms but this doesn't fix the issues with the lot displacements that are resulting in sims stomping and waving their arms in the air every time they reach a part of the lot edge which isn't routable. The only way this will be fixed is if EA redesigns the entire island and makes sure that every single lot and land placement is seamless.

There are other causes for the lag too which may include other expansion packs that aren't ideal to be played with Island Paradise (eg. Pets), heavily pregnant sims trying to go to work, and arrangement of objects in houses that sims can't reach, but the land displacement is by far the worse.

Comments

• ExxCeeExxCee Posts: 353 Member
    :O so how do we fix this? Because the main reason I stopped playing TS3 is because Island Paradise was totally unplayable and you had to pick and choose which EPs to load otherwise it just wouldn't run properly and would crash all. the. time.
    Origin ID: ExxCee
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited January 2017
    @geekgirl101 @ExxCee

IP it is very buggy for everyone. There is a fixed version of the world. There are also tips how to get IP to play better if you use ea's version

Here is the fixed version of IP https://ellacharmed.wordpress.com/2013/10/05/isla-paradiso/

Removing IP lag for the EA version http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

I can run all eps no issues. I dont play IP but use it as a stuff pack. I dont get lag. Lag is caused by having an under-powered computer to run the whole game. Depending on your computer specs.

I posted this in another thread but Ill post it here

How much ram do you have ? What version of windows do you have? Windows 8 and 10 need more ram to run. Is your commuter's cpu/gpu integrated or do you have a dedicated video card? Also origin needs ram. These all factor in on whether one may crash and get error code 12 for not having enough memory to run the game. Also how often do you save? It's wise to save often so the save wont be to large and run out of memory. If in build mode you need to save even more frequently.

The only time my game may freeze and crash is if it heavy snows. Some times it will freeze and snap out of it in a few seconds with the snow. Depends on the game's mood. My computer exceeds recommended requirements to run all eps.

Other tips. I delete my cashe package files every time I start my game to keep the game rid of as much bugs as possible. Turn memories off. It will bloat the game down with unnecessary files. Stop the store from loading in CAS. Make sure your sims personal and family inventories are low. If your able to play the game on a higher end machine keep lot details low no matter what computer your on. A patch caused stutter in the game and lowering lot details to no higher than 3 will keep stutter down. Always use save as instead of save. Using save as allows you to create a new clean save by renaming the file. If you use save it overwrites the old file. Using save as there is less chance of save corruption. You will also have prior saves to go back to should you get a messed up save. You can't do that with save option. If you use save and it becomes corrupt you may loose that entire save and everything in it.

Do any of you use mods? If not speak to user @igazor. Mods may help
    Amazing - thank you. My computer definitely has high enough specs - I bought it specially with Sims in mind. If I don't load IP the rest of the game runs ok, but it does stutter and lag and crash in some places so I'll have a look when I get home and take your advice on board!
    @ExxCee What video card do you have? This game has no fps limiter, will over work your video card. Capping your fps is a must with this game or you will have game issues
    I'll need to double check - that could be the problem, although I remember doing a side-by-side comparison of the requirements for TS3 and the specs of my PC before I bought it so unless I missed something it should be fine... never hurts to check though.
    @ExxCee check your video card and let me know. The game will become sluggish if you do have a mid range to higher end video card and your not using vsync. This can also happen from having an under-powerd computer
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    At last count, there are about one hundred seventeen million threads here on the IP world and what causes the lag there. Okay, that's a slight exaggeration but the point is many, many have come before you and found what was mentioned in the top post plus much more.

As for IP, the expansion pack itself doesn't cause lag for most players generally. The world does. The usual solutions (besides just not playing in that world that EA never bothered to fix and certainly isn't going to now) are EllaCharmed's world lot fixes together with @ciane 's redone version of Isla Paradiso that fixes all of the lot problems as @phoebebebe13 already mentioned. She has it all fixed up already as a saved game, ready to play or you can follow her well documented steps for the very long do it yourself version if preferred.
    http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/811253/removing-ip-lag/p1

For those not averse to using mods, NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, and Register are very helpful in playing that world as well.

But absolutely take care of the fps capping thing first, that's much more important for playing TS3 on a modern graphics card in any world.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Always a good excuse to buy a new one :wink:
  • geekgirl101geekgirl101 Posts: 401 Member
    @phoebebebe13 I already said Ellacharmed's world is not a fix. All Ellacharmed's version does from what I can see is rearranges some of the objects that are stopping sims from being able to reach things like stairs, toilets, and some of the pathing issues inside the Ichtaca castle. It doesn't solve the problems where lots are several millimeters above or below land level which prevents sims like Rubisel Ichtaca and Akoni Kahale from returning home.

Ciane looks like she's been trying to address the problem head on by putting obstacles where the worst of the land raising/lowering is and in the worst case removing lots that are causing such severe issues that no amount of obstacles will stop sims from getting stuck. It's a huge amount of work to do everything she's posted but after what I've seen myself it's a huge amount of issues.

To be quite frank players should not be having to fix EA's own screwups. Mods are meant to enhance a game experience not fix bugs! And why are only players answering to this post? Where are EA's mods and development team? These issues have been here long before Sims 4 was in development and people have complained about them since day 1 and there hasn't been a single fix! The expansion is unplayable. The disk is nothing more than an expensive coffee mat and if EA isn't going to do anything about it then I want my money back!
    edited January 2017
    @geekgirl101 - I think there is a slight misunderstanding here. This is a community forum. The people who are responding are your fellow players because we are the ones who are here helping and supporting each other, though I think you have just arranged it so that we will stop doing that since you don't really want our help. Most of us would prefer to not be yelled at or mistreated when we do take the time to be helpful. This side of the forum is not a portal into EA Customer Service.

IP is not unplayable, the world that comes with it out of the box is. And we have found ways to fix it on our own. It's fine if you see no value in that, but in the meantime we are able to enjoy our games and move things forward.

There are no TS3 developers and haven't been any for over three years now. The game went out of development after Patches 1.66/67 were released in Jan 2014 and the final EA new store items were queued up for sale through Sept of that year. I agree this probably isn't the way it should be for a game that is still currently being sold, but it is what it is.

So by all means, go get your money back. But no one on this forum, not even the EA moderators, can help or stand in the way of your doing that.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited January 2017
    @NobleRori - I'm sorry you are having trouble but am afraid the only thing having a temper tantrum is going to do is get you reprimanded by the moderators. Which is pretty much where the OP was heading anyway.

Perhaps you could return and ask for assistance, after describing exactly where the download process is failing and what you have tried to do to fix it, when you can do so in a calm and reasonable manner and on a different thread that is less likely to get locked down.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    @NobleRori - I can tell you are new to the forums and not sure where, or how, to post for help. It's possible that you just missed the store update. There is an update that creates a contentpatch.package in a content patch folder. Once that installs properly, you may get your store downloads to work again.

Another problem is that the launcher uses Internet Explorer (even if you don't), so you often need to clear caches in IE for the launcher to behave properly. Try downloading ccleaner (free) and running that to clean up some stuff for you.

@geekgirl101 - igazor is one of the best helpers around here. NRaas mods help the game avoid problems and igazor is part of the team keeping those mods working and updated. I read a lot. I found what many others suggested and tried many of the suggestions. It is a lot of work. That is why I uploaded my saved game. A saved game consists of more than one file, so you need to download four files (I think) and put them together in your save folder. Then, my changes will show up as a saved game option for you without you having to do any of the steps yourself. I thoroughly tested many options and played most of the families in IP. It is possible to play IP without lag and without any mods. Some mods do help though. I thoroughly appreciate Overwatch and Debug Enabler as well as go Here and noCD. The convenience and improvements are not game changing so much but game protecting (like an anti-virus program, not really noticed, but important for protecting your game and your computer).

EllaCharmed's work is designed to prevent routing problems that most people don't notice, but that will cause lag when sims and pets can route and continually try any way.

Good luck to you.
  • RuediiRuedii Posts: 168 Member
    I know this will probably never happen, but if Maxis/EA would update the engine to use NGen GC instead of Boehm this would really help.

This basically would reduce the amount the game lag when old data gets flushed from the system.

Things like Sims getting stuck outside of houses and having to reroute tends to create a lot of garbage.

The other thing that would help is to move to instanced routines or thread-offloaded routines instead of serialized ones. This way if a bit of background code takes a long time it doesn't lock up the rest of the game. These are two different methods of multithreading, or allowing your computer to do multiple things at once. Currently the game uses minimal off-threading and I don't think it uses any code instancing.

Also, cleaning up the routines to reduce garbage creation might help a bit too. However, I doubt that will ever happen because of the age of the game either.
  • JeanJean Posts: 1,243 Member
    edited February 2017
    Overwatch, Errortrap, magical mods.
    I also use a booster ( Wise game booster, which works best for me )
    and I limit my FPS to 30. ( the game doesn't need more than 30 anyway. )

I found that limiting my FPS to 30 using the 3booter and FPS_Limiter works really good for the stability of my game.
    I also put Vsync on adaptive!

Deleting cache files ( in the Documents/Sims 3 folder ) works wonders too.