Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Much Ado About Fangs [COMPLETE 2/24]

Comments

• Options
    GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,345 Member
    @GlacierSnow Ha, I don't think everyone is angry at Orlando--but he certainly has some people who will never forgive him (or me), LOL. His kids aren't too happy either, but more on that later...

You're right though, he brought Lyanna to the fae realm to try to slow the aging process. Unfortunately, the magic of the world was too much for a human and made her less herself, but he didn't want to believe it. He did what he did out of love--and maybe selfishness too, but he didn't want to hurt her.

That's more or less how I read it. Only, I never liked him much in the first place. He was always kind of vain and rude, in both Gen 1 and Gen 2. And Lyanna didn't really seem herself even before moving the fae world. From the beginning of Gen 3 she seemed kind of depressed, and I didn't see that much of a change after moving.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow I feel like maybe there’s some gray area here? All the other gen 2 characters (even the humans, like Bas and Daisy) are still alive, and outlived Lyanna. So I think in terms of human-years, she did live considerably shorter than she should have. However, since time passes differently in the fae-realm, maybe it was technically longer. I think he brought her there when she was probably in her 30s? (Guessing by the age of the kiddos!) and she died when her kids were probably in their mid-20s. So in human years I’m thinking she was like 50s when she died, maybe? Like I said, gray area! Haha

The thing I’m most angry with Orlando for though is not only was her life (in terms of the human realm) actually cut shorter by his attempts to lengthen her life, but the fact that she started losing who she was — her vibrancy and personality. She spent too long in the fae realm, and started fading away and becoming nothing more than a shadow of who she would have been if she’d stayed in the human world. That’s no way for the bright and beautiful Lyanna to go out :bawling:

So, in the perspective of someone who does hold Orlando responsible haha, I see it as he robbed her of living a fulfilling life. Depending on your perspective, maybe it was longer or maybe it was shorter. But it wasn’t a life she deserved, in my eyes :( And at the first sign that something was wrong, he should have taken her back to the human world, but he didn’t. He let her fade away :bawling:

@CitizenErased14 Fair point. Like I said, I feel like I missed something. From yours and @LadyLobster 's replies, I think what I missed was that being in the Fae world was making her fade away. I'll be honest, I wasn't very focused on Lyanna in Gen 3.

To me though, Lyanna seemed already not her original happy self, prior to moving. In fact, she seemed rather depressed and focused on the fact that she was aging. So, I have my doubts about her having a fulfilling rest of her life if she had stayed in the human world. I'd be fine blaming Orlando for an unhappy marriage, since I don't think he's a very nice person, and I would not want to be married to him. But the one thing he actually did (taking her to the Fae world), he did because he thought it would help.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited August 2019
    @GlacierSnow Haha believe it or not, Lyanna and Orlando were my top-favorite Fangs ship ever! He was definitely an unkind person, but I also do think that Lyanna ended up bringing out the best in him... Though he never quite lost his selfishness, unfortunately (and it ended up costing both of them dearly :bawling: )

And I do agree that she started getting way too hung up on her own aging... Guess that’s an unfortunate side-effect of marrying an immortal :/ Bad enough they’re going to outlive you no matter what, but having to get old and gray while they are forever youthful must be really hard for both people involved :(
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    WagonFruitWagonFruit Posts: 2,489 Member
    Orlando is a wonderful peanut and I want to pat him and go "ther ther peanut" and offer him tissues and a hot beverage.

Mebbe brush his hairs too, idk, if he in the mood.
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • Options
    LadyLobsterLadyLobster Posts: 4,133 Member
    @WagonFruit I hope you don't get shadows in your hairbrush~
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    @WagonFruit I hope you don't get shadows in your hairbrush~

Ok, on a scale of 1 to lice

How bad is smoke?
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • Options
    @WagonFruit A hard 7, whenever my former neighbor would smoke meat (sorry my vegan love :* ) it would invade here and the whole place would smell like barbecue--also I'd search every floor looking for fire that I could smell but not see. :#
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow Haha believe it or not, Lyanna and Orlando were my top-favorite Fangs ship ever! He was definitely an unkind person, but I also do think that Lyanna ended up bringing out the best in him... Though he never quite lost his selfishness, unfortunately (and it ended up costing both of them dearly :bawling: )

And I do agree that she started getting way too hung up on her own aging... Guess that’s an unfortunate side-effect of marrying an immortal :/ Bad enough they’re going to outlive you no matter what, but having to get old and gray while they are forever youthful must be really hard for both people involved :(

@CitizenErased14 As someone who is significantly older than my spouse, I can say with certainty that being the one who gets gray and wrinkly first is not fun. :cry: So I can definitely sympathize with Lyanna in this situation.

One of the things I really like about the Fangs series is that @LadyLobster is not afraid to be realistic about how relationships are likely to go. I feel like Orlando's behavior in the end is consistent with his underlying personality and habits. His "tragic flaw" as it might be called. I agree that Lyanna did bring out the best in him, but in real life, that is hard to maintain long term. Being the influence that helps someone else be a better person is an exhausting position to be in. Unfortunately, it is rarely self sustaining, you have to keep influencing them or they revert to their usual habits. And eventually you get tired of it, or distracted by other things.

I guess I just enjoy the "not so happily ever after" honesty of the storytelling in this series and haven't gotten very emotionally attached to any of the couples staying together (with the possible exception of Benny and Finn, who I like a lot, and so far seem to be doing okay). I can see why, though, if you really wanted Orlando and Lyanna to be happy together, you would be upset with Orlando for not really changing as much as he should have. I do think a lot of the cause of the problem was more on him than on her. He probably deserves your wrath.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    @WagonFruit A hard 7, whenever my former neighbor would smoke meat (sorry my vegan love :* ) it would invade here and the whole place would smell like barbecue--also I'd search every floor looking for fire that I could smell but not see. :#

:scream::scream::scream:

Did u go over there an dump wooter on the smoker and go "kekekekeke, yw, i save ur life"

(in my head canon u did)
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    WagonFruit wrote: »

Did u go over there an dump wooter on the smoker and go "kekekekeke, yw, i save ur life"

(in my head canon u did)
    Did u not like the bbq smell bc it was like the food u cant have
  • Options
    Cement wrote: »
    WagonFruit wrote: »

(in my head canon u did)
    Did u not like the bbq smell bc it was like the food u cant have

Ya, Orlando hairs smell like forbidden meat-froot :(

v popular in texas
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • Options
    Lyra visits her grandpa and his Caspian...

SJ74y8A.png
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    Aaaaa!

The family that pose together <3<3<3
    FzWOQ8X.jpg
  • Options
    CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    Uncle Chorizo = Uncle of the Year :bawling::heart:

Loved meeting Lyra! Next step: find a hot vampire doctor to help cure her mystery ailment! (And hope that grandpa Ham doesn’t get punchy this time :joy:)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Options
    @WagonFruit The family that poses together slips on floor tiles together. <3

@CitizenErased14 I want an uncle like Chorizo. Anders doesn't want any more punches though. :#
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    I love Lyra's descriptions! Laughed very hard at the one about humans and smushing mouths against dry skin! :joy: Will definitely be looking forward to her chapters.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    @GlacierSnow Awww, glad you enjoyed her intro! <3 It can be a bit difficult to write from her PoV due to how she talks, but I love seeing the world through her eyes.
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    SeaDragonSongSeaDragonSong Posts: 2,324 Member
    Lyra is the best. I love her so much!
    Story_Banner.png
    Twists In Time And Space (Updated December 2nd 2018. New discord server!)
    Bob Bobson (Updated August 12th 2019)
  • Options
    haswhhaswh Posts: 2,863 Member
    I really enjoy Lyra and her voice is fabulous! :) I will be looking forward to her chapters to see who she meets while visiting her Grandpa and his Caspian. Chorizo is so darn cute! <3
  • Options
    @SeaDragonSong <3 Bet she knows a few sea dragon songs too. ;)

@haswh I'm glad!! <3 And who could she possibly meet? >:) LOL. Chorizo's the true star of the chapter, of course--maybe he needs a PoV~
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I couldn't help thinking of Hamlet and his voidcritters when I found out that we could get voidcritter familiars in Realm of Magic. Lyra is very sweet.
  • Options
    @LadyLobster Yes! A Chorizo PoV please!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Options
    @MVWdeZT I'm so excited about the familiars! And it's funny, when I was scheduling this chapter to post, I reread that line about Voidcritters possibly being real...looks like Lyra will get to meet them after all, LOL. Although there's that one in the hamster cage too.

@GlacierSnow Caspian spoils him absolutely rotten!
    uduVcAP.png
  • Options
    pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    Mermaid princess! She’s so cute! :love:
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Options
    CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    @MVWdeZT I'm so excited about the familiars! And it's funny, when I was scheduling this chapter to post, I reread that line about Voidcritters possibly being real...looks like Lyra will get to meet them after all, LOL. Although there's that one in the hamster cage too.

@GlacierSnow Caspian spoils him absolutely rotten!

it's not some voidcritter in the hamster cage!!!!!!!1 its !!!!1 BUBALUS!!!!!1
    tho tbh the only voidcritter worth meeting is suintor, im sure ham sandwich would agree, being a fellow suintor/earth voidcritter fan as i am
    or that wind old man one, cant remember the name

golly i am a horrible voidcritter fan for not remembering the name smh